main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Whispers in the Night: a young Mara/Luke story, very AU; COMPLETED 3/26/02 *TAGGED*

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Qwi_Xux, Nov 14, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Qwi_Xux

Qwi_Xux Jedi Master star 4

Oct 5, 2001
    Well, here's my latest attempt at fan fiction. Those of you brave enough to join me, I hope you like this.

This is a Mara/Luke story, obviously, that deals a lot with Mara being the Emperor's Hand, and it deals with Luke and his past. Or his family's past; you'll see as it goes along. It's very AU, as I've changed a LOT. It would take place before the OT, but as I am changing so much, the OT might not actually take place.

Disclaimer: SW is not, has never been, and never will be mine.

Those of you who already know my writing know I have a crazy streak, so those who have yet to deal with me, you have been duly warned. My writing is not insane; I am. :D

And I wrote this in first person, as I did on my last two stories. It enables me to better get into the heads of the characters I'm writing.

Without further ado, I present Whispers in the Night.

PROLOGUE

I was thirteen when I was sent on my first mission. I was so excited, but I didn't let myself show it. That would make me appear unworthy in the eyes of my master. And it would reflect badly on my trainers--something I didn't want to happen. Well, maybe if it were my tactics instructor...

Whatever anyone might say, I wanted to make them proud.

"Mara Jade." The old, raspy voice of my master reached my ears as I knelt across the room from his throne. His voice struck fear into the hearts of millions of beings, and while it sent a dangerous chill up my spine, I knew I could do this. I knew I could make him happy with me. I wouldn't mess up.

I looked up. "Yes, my master?"

"Come closer."

I stood swiftly to my feet and moved to a spot several feet from Emperor Palpatine, the most powerful person in the galaxy. I bowed, then stood straight. "Yes, Master?"

His eyes bored into mine; it seemed as if he were looking straight into my mind, as if he could see every secret in my soul. I wouldn't doubt that he was.

I heard him laugh, a dry, cackling sound. "Your shields are strong, child." He pushed himself to his feet and stepped closer to me. I was several centimeters taller than his stooped form, but I suddenly felt small and insignificant. Emperor Palpatine radiated power. He slipped his rough fingers under my chin. I suppressed a shiver. "Mara Jade. I have overseen your training all of these years. You are almost ready. You need only to pass one more test."

Ready? For what? I knew I had been trained for years for something special. No one had ever told me what, though. And...test? I had passed a lot of tests over the years. How hard could one more be?

Trying not to sound eager, I said, "What is it I must do, Master?"

He chuckled again. "There is a matter on Kuat I would like for you to attend to." His yellow eyes glinted.

I nodded once. "Anything, my master."

That's her? I thought, staring across the room.

The woman I was looking at had just sat down at a table with two others--two aliens. While the woman was human, she was a traitor. No self-respecting human would associate with aliens. It was a despicable display.

I tucked myself deeper into the shadows of the space I had chosen to oversee this operation. I carefully eyed the seedy cantina. Everyone was too drunk or too involved in what they were saying or doing to pay any attention to anything else.

I pulled out my blaster and made sure the power pack was in securely. I carefully aimed the blaster at the woman. According to the information I had been given, she was the leader of a small uprising against the Empire. She had to be stopped immediately; we couldn't risk anyone leading a rebellion against Emperor Palpatine.

My finger hesitated on the trigger. What was wrong with me? I had killed on simulations, during my training. How was this any different?

Because this is real. She's real.

I shoved that thought out of my mind. She was a traitor.

Without another thought, I squeezed the trigger. The blaster bolt burned a hole right in h

2. LeiaSkywalker

LeiaSkywalker Jedi Master star 3

Mar 31, 2001
    Yay! Oba!!! :D *LOL*

A new story! And it's about Mara Jade!!! My second favourite! AS I've already told you, you write her wonderfully!!! And it''s great already!!! :)

Can't wait to read more!!! :D

3. Jaded Skywalker

Jaded Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 24, 1999
    Great start! You wrote young Mara really well! I feel bad for her...

4. Tatooine_Rose

Tatooine_Rose Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 24, 2001
    Good start! :)

5. Amidala_Skywalker

Amidala_Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 2001
    I'm here also and more than willing to comment. I've just come from your last thread. You write Mara so well, she's always interested me. Ick, slimy Palpy!

Am [face_love]

6. Ghent42

Ghent42 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 19, 2001
    Yippee skipy! I can't believe I didn't see this earlier! I've been really busy with DH (darth homework). Fortunately, I have defeated him. He is dead. Now I can read Qwi's great fanfics!

Keep up da goot vork!

7. Qwi_Xux

Oct 5, 2001
    Leia-my faithful beta and friend, thank you so much!

Jaded-Thank you. I feel bad for her, two...but that was my intention.

Rose-Thanks! :D

Am-Thank you. Hehe, I actually get to write a story with Palpy. Fitting, being in K.E.P.P., don't you think? (No, that was not giving anything away.}

Ghent-YAY! You're here!

All right, I have another little post.

~Three Years Later~

LUKE

"Luke."

I heard the warning tone in my uncle's voice and froze, a twinge of guilt worming through my stomach. "Um, yeah?"

"Just where do you think you're going?"

I sighed and turned around. "Out."

An eyebrow rose. "Really. Did you finish your chores?"

"Ye-es. Well...mostly." I saw the expression on my uncle's face. "Uncle Ben, please! Biggs and I were going into town today."

Uncle Ben passed me a broom. "And you can. As soon as your chores are finished."

I sighed again, resigned. "All right." I grumbled.

Uncle Ben frowned a little. "Luke, is that anyway to behave? Not only are you sixteen years old, but you are a Padawan."

I winced, immediately chastised. "I know, Uncle Ben." I stared at the ground. "I'm sorry." My head shot up, and my eyes met Uncle Ben's blue ones. "But Jedi are supposed to have great adventures! And do brave deeds and help people. We're supposed to bring justice and peace to the galaxy." I eyed the broom in my hands distastefully. "Not spend all day sweeping floors."

"Everyone must start somewhere."

I scowled. "Sweeping floors? Great."

Uncle Ben struggled to contain a smile. "Ah, Luke." He shook his head. "I was very much like you at your age."

"You've told me that before." I took the broom into the next room and began my job.

MARA

*Mara Jade.*

I heard the call and was immediately jolted out of my sleep. *Yes, Master?* I answered. My eyes were automatically sweeping the room, checking to make sure it was secure. As I was in a locked room on Fondor, it was unlikely anyone had come in without my awareness, but one could never be too sure.

Rule number four. Never take anything for granted.

Emperor Palpatine's voice echoed clearly in my mind. *I have another assignment for you.*

I still hadn't finished my current mission, although I was sure it would be completed tomorrow. I glanced it my chronometer. 0300 galactic standard time. Today.

But my master would have known I was almost done. He always knew.

I received instructions for my next assignment and when the Emperor's voice left my head, I laid back on my pillow, determined to get some sleep. I couldn't carry out my next assignment until that afternoon, anyway.

Late mid-morning found me dressed in a long-skirted velvet dress. Jade green, to match the color of my eyes. With my false identification, it was ridiculously easy to slip into the prestigious, gauzy building that was being used to host this event. It didn't hurt that the person checking ID at the door was a younger man. Although I was only sixteen, I appeared older. And I knew I looked good in my dress. I had no qualms about using my looks to my advantage.

Rule number eight. Anything is acceptable if it is necessitated to complete your mission.

I found the area where the militant party was meeting. It was a small group who had begun to make Emperor Palpatine nervous; apparently they were gaining too much power for his taste. They were the group in charge of Fondor's orbital starship construction facilities. It was an area of the galaxy still not under Emperor Palpatine's powerful thumb. He was hoping that what I did here today would be the first step in the process of seizing the shipyards.

The event I was infiltrating was not only for the purpose of the military discussing their next plans, but where they could relax and celebrate the completion of their latest orbital facility. They probably didn't get a chance to simply relax and mingle very often.

I laughed inwardly. They certainly wouldn't

8. Ghent42

Apr 19, 2001
    It was great!!!!!!! I like how Ben is Luke's uncle, instead of stinky old Owen. And Luky is an impertinent young Padawan.
    *old Ben voice* When I was your age, sonny, we didn't HAVE brooms! WE had to LICK the floor clean.
    I like the evil Mara. I like seing some more of her evil plots. Heh heh heh :)

9. LeiaSkywalker

Mar 31, 2001
    I love these rules!That's why I'm adding then to my sig,hehe! And this last one was special!!! :D

You're doing a great job, Qwi! I loved how you described what happened through the news! :)

10. Jaded Skywalker

Nov 24, 1999
    Eeeek! Mara is scary... but I like! You never really sit back and think all of the people Mara killed in her younger age. Not pretty.

Cannot wait for more!

11. Ghent42

Apr 19, 2001
    LeaiSkywalker - you just put Mara as the quotee, not that it was from a fanfic :). I bet Mara fans will look at your sig and say "I don't remember Mara saying that", and spend hours searching through the books trying to find it :).

12. Qwi_Xux

Oct 5, 2001
    Leia-Love the sig. :D

Jaded-I know, it was hard for me to think about, too!

Ghent-Hehe, let them look. I love how Leia put it in her sig; makes me feel special the way she has it. :D And Mara's not evil, she's been raised wrong, and she's very misinformed. I hope to work changing that... Of course you would like her evil plots. Well, Palpy's evil plots. [face_mischief]

13. Amidala_Skywalker

Jul 4, 2001
    That was better than good, I have to agree with Leia, about the subject of the rules you generously provided us with. Now be truthful, you had fun making up number two, right? :D

Love the sig, Leia. Uncle Ben.....Uncle Owen is out of the picture. I always disliked that man, anyhow....

Am [face_love]

14. Qwi_Xux

Oct 5, 2001
    Thank you, Am, and yes, number 2 was fun. :D

Uncle Owen is out of the picture...but not all the way...you'll see as the story goes on...

And here's the next part. Thanks for the betaing, Leia!

LUKE

"Oh, please. I can get there faster than you can."

I looked at Biggs skeptically. "Right."

"You don't think I can?"

"Nope. I bet I could beat you." I said.

Biggs flashed me a grin. "You're on." He jumped into his speeder.

I hopped into my own. "All right!" I revved it up. "All the way through Beggar's Canyon. No stopping."

Biggs's eyes sparked with a competitive flame. "We could always do Main Avenue."

"You would crash!"

"I would not!"

"Fine! Main Avenue it is!"

We raced the speeders for Beggar's Canyon, and when we got there, we headed for Main Avenue. Only the most experienced pilots could get through it without crashing.

I wasn't worried. I had been training all my life as a Jedi. Of course, Biggs didn't know that. Uncle Ben had sworn me to silence. The Empire had killed all the Jedi; there weren't supposed to be any alive. Biggs was my best friend and I trusted him--I wanted so much to tell him, but Uncle Ben had said that even if he could be trusted, it would put him in danger to say anything.

So I kept my secret. Which was actually handy during times like this, when I was competing with Biggs. We pushed the speeders through Main Avenue, dodging rocks and walls and each other. Soon we came up on Dead Man's Turn, which curved sharply to the right. I reached out in the Force, feeling the walls of the Canyon, and at exactly the right moment, I threw the speeder into the turn. Biggs was right behind me, and as he saw me turn, he did as well. We both scraped by the curve with mere centimeters to spare.

Later we passed Stone Needle, and finally came to the end of the course. I won by half a speeder.

"WOOHOO!" I shouted, jumping off my speeder. "I beat you!"

"Only because you got a head start." Biggs said good-naturedly.

"Did not."

"Did too!"

I resisted the impulse to stick out my tongue. "I did not, and I won, so you get to buy drinks at the cantina."

Biggs was from a wealthy family, he could handle it. "The Broken Bantha?"

"Of course." It was our favorite local hangout. There were a lot of seedy, questionable characters that haunted the cantina, but Biggs and I didn't care.

"Fine. But I'll beat you there!"

MARA

The Broken Bantha. What kind of a name was that?

I sighed, then sucked in a breath of dry, hot air. How I hated Tatooine. From the moment I had stepped out of the private shuttle--which I had rented at the first stop the passenger shuttle had made--I had loathed this place. It was so empty. So dry and barren. But there was a bounty hunter that my master wanted killed, and he was supposed to be in this cantina right now.

A bounty hunter. I thought. Why would one measly bounty hunter concern my master? Why would he care about what one did? I shook my head. It wasn't my place to question. I had been given instructions, and I would carry them out.

I peered out from under my cloak, taking a sip of my drink as I eyed the occupants of the cantina. The bounty hunter wasn't here yet. A little jingling noise sounded, indicating the door had swung open. I let my eyes rove over to it, acting completely uninterested. If this was the bounty hunter, I would have to figure out how I could best dispose of him.

It wasn't him. It was two boys, around my own age, probably. One was dark haired, and the other was blond. I had seen plenty of people my own age, but I usually paid them no attention. I was so completely different from them I would never have known how to have a conversation with them, even had I had interest to--which I didn't. But this boy--there was something about him that made me stop and take a second look. There was a...a power, emanating from him. Something I couldn't explain. It reminded me a little bit of Emperor P

15. Darth_Fruitcake

Darth_Fruitcake Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 18, 2001
    Oh, Qwi! I am so proud! This story rocks! Very good :D

16. LeiaSkywalker

Mar 31, 2001
    I love how you write Luke and Mara, Qwi!!!!!!! :)

This story is awesome!!! :)

17. Ghent42

Apr 19, 2001
    It's the same place he and Biggs were racing, riiighhht? So Luke knows the curve, he'll make it :). Besides, it would be stupid if you killed off the main characters before the story has even really started. I really like this story!

18. MariahJade2

MariahJade2 Former Fan Fiction Archive Editor star 5 VIP

Mar 18, 2001
    This is good. I think I'll keep reading. :)

19. Amidala_Skywalker

Jul 4, 2001
    QWI! HOW COULD YOU LEAVE ME HERE IN THIS STATE!!

Look at that cliffhanger! Geez, I thought Mara was going to discover that Luke was a Jedi. Qwi, you write so well and that kept me going throughout the whole post.

I need, no want more I'm deseprate, it's like alcohol, I need more fic,

Am [face_love]

20. young_mara

young_mara Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 24, 2001
    this is good, i want MORE!

21. Qwi_Xux

Oct 5, 2001
    DF- [face_blush] Thanks!!!

Leia- :D Thank you, and thanks for editing this next post.

Ghent-Here's your answer, and thank you.

Mariah-Wow...thanks! :D

Am-Hehehe...I know, I'm evil. [face_devil] I hope this post helps!

young_mara-Thank you, I'm glad you like it!

LUKE

I had given the girl control of the speeder as soon as we entered Beggar's Canyon, because had I tried to gain control of it, the fight would have caused us to crash. Sitting in the position I was in, trying to peer over the girl's shoulder, it was hard for me to see the twists and turns of Main Avenue. I could feel it in the Force when we came upon Dead Man's Turn, and the way the girl was swerving, I knew she didn't see it. About to reach out and grab the controls, I realized it was too late. We were going to crash.

Without stopping to think, I tightened my arms around the girl and pushed with the Force. The girl and I flew backwards, out of the speeder, landing lightly on the ground. I shoved the girl to the dirt and fell on top of her as the speeder slammed into the rock wall and exploded, sending shrapnel shooting over our heads.

I would have just stopped the speeder with the Force, but it had been going too fast for me to stop on such short notice. I may have been able to do it, but I hadn't been sure.

The girl drew in deep, ragged breaths underneath me, trying to calm herself, I assumed. I climbed off of her and stood to my feet, then reached down and offered her a hand up. She wants to kill you, Luke. A small voice in my mind reminded me. I ignored it. There was something in this girl, and if I didn't know better, I would have sworn it was the Force. But not like I felt in Uncle Ben--yet it wasn't dark, as I imagined the Force would be in Emperor Palpatine or Darth Vader. This was something different, something unique, and I was determined to find out what it was.

The girl ignored my hand, and before I could react, she was on her feet with her blaster aimed at my face.

I raised my eyebrows. "I just saved your life, and now you're going to kill me?"

Her green eyes flashed. "You're a witness. You have to die." Still, I felt an odd sort of reluctance in her.

"Why? You don't have to pull the trigger. That's a choice." Completely unafraid, I stared into her eyes. "I'm Luke. Luke Lars. Who are you?"

She shoved the blaster forward so the muzzle was touching my nose. "I'm going to kill you, and you're introducing yourself?" She laughed scornfully. "You're dumber than you look. Good-bye, Luke Lars." She mocked. Resolve swept through her, and she pulled the trigger. The instant before she did, I squeezed with the force, and the muzzle twisted and collapsed. The bolt, trapped, caused the blaster to explode. The girl realized this the moment before it blew, and dropped it, jumping back. "How--How did you..." The astonishment on her face changed to sudden understanding. "You're a Jedi." She breathed. Her eyes narrowed. "But all of the Jedi were killed in the Purge."

I stretched out my senses, touching her with my mind. I felt her mind, in return, recoil, and she took a step back. "What do you think you're doing?"

She felt it! I realized. "Well," I said conversationally, "I guess they missed some of the Jedi, considering you're one, too."

"What?"

"You're Force-sensitive."

"Force-sensitive?" The girl stared at me like I'd lost my mind. "What in the name of Hoth is that supposed to mean?" She froze. "It doesn't matter. You're just trying to distract me, and it's not going to work." With that, she jumped at me, swinging herself around and bringing up her foot to kick me in the face.

I sensed it coming and jumped back, trying to grab her foot in the air. Had it been anyone else, I would have succeeded, but she quickly flipped herself back, landing in a crouch several feet away.

She reminded me of the description I'd read of felines from different worlds. She moved so gracefully, and acte

22. Jaded Skywalker

Nov 24, 1999
    Lukie... got to love him! [face_love]

Now, lets see how Obi reacts to this one....

23. MariahJade2

MariahJade2 Former Fan Fiction Archive Editor star 5 VIP

Mar 18, 2001
    That was very nice. I just love your Luke. Powerful, confident and still his cute self.
    Wonder what will happen to Mara. :)

24. Amidala_Skywalker

Jul 4, 2001
    Loved that post Qwi, and yes it did fix me up and take me off the end of my seat. But, at the moment I'm jumping up and done, so that post has done nearly the exact same thing to be.

I like your hand-to-hand combat, cannot wait to see what Uncle Ben will do with her,

Am [face_love]

25. Rebecca191

Rebecca191 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 2, 1999
    Great story!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.