main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Whispers in the Night: a young Mara/Luke story, very AU; COMPLETED 3/26/02 *TAGGED*

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Qwi_Xux, Nov 14, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RebelMom

RebelMom Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 20, 2000
    This is great. The characterizations are wonderful. I agree with Mariah.

I wonder what Ben will decide. Hmm.

2. TreeCave

TreeCave Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 28, 2001
    Hey, I just tuned in, and this is a GREAT story. Very fascinating. I love your take on both characters, and I love the AU changes you've made. Can't wait to see how the rest unfolds.

3. Ghent42

Ghent42 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 19, 2001
    Well, I was right about the turn. Lukie was just too slow. I bet you changed it just to prove me wrong, Qwi :p.
    It was great! I'm wondering what the Emporer's thinking, can't he sense what Mara senses? Write more. Or else.
    Hmmmm. . . I wonder what Xuxy thinks of this story.

4. Mayo_Solo

Mayo_Solo Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 9, 2001
    Hi Qwi! ::waves hands frantically:: I liked your story.

Hey where is Xuxy? She's so funny.

5. Ghent42

Apr 19, 2001
    I just had dinner, and guess what we had for dessert? I know stevo would be able to guess (I wonder where he is anyway).

It was soooo funny, with various family members saying things like "It's been a long time since I had cake.", or "This cake is really good!". It was hilarious, and my family couldn't figure out what I was laughing at.

BTW - if anyone cares - my computer is dead :(. Permanently. The only good thing about it is that now I'll get a laptop.

6. Mcily_Nochi

Mcily_Nochi Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 23, 2001
    Omigosh omigosh omigosh! This is so good, Qwi! I just found it, and I am definitely coming back! This has got to be one of the best stories here on the boards!

7. Qwi_Xux

Qwi_Xux Jedi Master star 4

Oct 5, 2001
    Jaded-Yup, he's very lovable. [face_love] Obi...hmmm...

Mariah-Thanks, that means a lot to me. When I begin a story, it's difficult for me to know how I'm doing on characterization if I'm unfamiliar with writing the character. Knowing you think I'm doing okay helps me so much!

Am-Ahh, thank you; I [face_love] you dearly. You're such an encouragement!

Bec-Thanks for reading! :D

RebelMom-Thank you sooooo much, and ditto what I said to Mariah.

TreeCave-Thank you, and thank you! It should be interesting...I hope.

Ghent-Haha, no I did not change it just because you guessed anything. I had it planned already. 8-} Cake? Oh, good heavens. *rolls eyes* And I'm sorry about your computer. :(

Mayo-*waves back* Thank you! She's on vacation! :D

Mcily- :D THANKS!!!! BTW, I love the bottom line in your sig! [face_laugh]

And last but not least, thanks to Leia for her usual wonderful betaing!

Here's the next post!

MARA

I felt like I'd been shot. I almost moaned, but caught myself. I ralized my eyes were closed, so I kept them that way. Listen first. Look later. I heard a low murmur of voices--it sounded like it was coming from another room. Which meant I was in a building of some sort. I heard the clank of what sounded like dishes, indicating there was probably a kitchen, wherever I was.

And where is that? I wondered. Ohh, yeah. I was shot. That Luke kid had won the fight, but unfairly, holding me against the wall of the canyon with that mysterious Force of his.

You're Force-sensitive. His words echoed through my mind.

Bantha spit. He doesn't know what he's talking about. If I were Jedi, the Emperor would know. He would have told me--or really, he wouldn't have had to tell me, I would have been killed in the Jedi Purges.

Hoping there was no one near me, I cautiously cracked an eye open and glanced around. When I was satisfied there was no one in the room, I opened both eyes so I could get a better look. I was in a very small area, a space surrounded by four stone walls. There were no windows. The only furniture was a small rock table, a chest against the far wall, a chair, and the bed I was on, facing the door.

Then I realized there were stun cuffs on my wrists and ankles, holding me to the bed. That wasn't a problem, I knew how to break out of those. Unfortunately, I needed at least two fingers to do it, and whoever had cuffed me--Luke?--had covered my hands with metal cup-like contraptions. That was annoying, but it didn't discourage me. There could be other ways to get out.

Before I had a chance to possibly consider what ways those could be, I heard footsteps heading in my direction, and I relaxed my body, closing my eyes to feign sleep.

A low voice chuckled. "Ahh. I see our desert flower has awakened."

"More like a desert cactus." Another voice muttered. That voice I recognized. Luke.

"Come, come, now. I know you're awake, there's no use pretending." The first voice said.

More than irritated, I opened my eyes. There was Luke, standing behind a white-haired man in brown robes. The man caught my attention--I felt the same thing I had felt in Luke; that shining power, but it was much stronger in the man. No, not stronger...more controlled.

He's dangerous in his own way. I realized. Rule nine. Assess every situation before acting upon anything.

The initial assessment didn't appear very comforting. Still, I wasn't worried. There had to be a way out of this.

The man pulled the room's only chair close to the bed and sat down, looking at me with an expression in his eyes that was unfamiliar to me. It took me a moment to realize it was kindness. Concern. "My name is Ben." He introduced. "Might I have the honor of knowing your name?"

I twisted my lips into a sneer. "You cuff me to a bed and expect me to be pleasant to you?" My eyes darted to Luke, then back to this 'Ben' character. "What do you

8. MariahJade2

MariahJade2 Former Fan Fiction Archive Editor star 5 VIP

Mar 18, 2001
    Yes Ben is sensible. Do not let her get free guys. Nice.

9. LeiaSkywalker

LeiaSkywalker Jedi Master star 3

Mar 31, 2001
    "Not long." Ben smiled. "I'm not a cruel person, you know. Just a sensible one." :D

I loved this!!! :)

This story's sooooo good!!!!! :)

10. technomage

technomage Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 24, 2000
    I just started reading this story now, and I am very interested.

Looking forward to more.

11. Amidala_Skywalker

Amidala_Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 2001
    I was just wanting for bad old Palpy to pop up somewhere and announce his presence....Shesh that monster always makes a big entrace. Anyhow, Interesting post Qwi!!! Love the whole 'You are Force sensitive' thing, that was glued my eyes to the screen.

I cannot wait for another post!!!

Am [face_love]

12. Ghent42

Apr 19, 2001
    Yay! A new chapter! great job!

13. Qwi_Xux

Oct 5, 2001
    Mariah-Uh-oh...wait until you read this post...

Leia-Thank you! For everything! :D

technomage-I'm glad you like it so far!

Am-I know, he's horrible, isn't he??

Ghent-Thank you! [face_mischief]

Here's today's chapter.

LUKE

Uncle Ben was right--something was wrong with her. Not on the outside, but on the inside. I followed him out of the room--my own room, which I had given up for her. *What are you giong to do, Uncle Ben?* I asked, using our Padawan/Master bond to speak, lest the girl hear me.

Uncle Ben was frowning. *I'm not quite sure, Luke. I wish I kenw what it is I sensed in her that's so familiar...and why I seem to recognize her.* He glanced sideways at me. *She's a slippery one, that. She'll have to be guarded tonight.*

*Guarded? She's cuffed to my bed!*

*I have a feeling that won't hold her for long.*

*Well, I'll guard her.* I offered.

*That's all right. I'll do it. I need a chance to talk to her. Maybe I can solve some of the mysteries, and work out some kind of compromise with her.* Uncle Ben tousled my hair affectionately. *You get some sleep.*

I wanted to stay and help my uncle, but realized I would be more help to him if I was rested up. Truth was, I hadn't noticed just how tired I was until that moment. It was late, and it had been a long day. *All right. Wake me if you need anything. Good night, Uncle Ben.*

*Good night, Luke.*

I wandered off to the mat that had been placed in the living area and collapsed on top of it. I was asleep almost immediately. The last thought in my mind was of the strange red-haired, green-eyed girl in my room.

I woke to the sound of Uncle Ben's voice. "Young lady, perhaps you don't understand how precious water is around here."

I stood up, rubbing sleep from my eyes, and moved to stand outside the door of my room. *Uncle Ben?*

*Come in, Luke.*

I entered the room to see an exasperated Uncle Ben looking at the girl. I quickly saw the reason for his irritation. He had gotten a cup of water with a straw and apparently tried to help the girl drink some. He was still holding the cup, but there was a wet spot on the earthen floor.

"It could have been poisoned." The girl snapped.

Uncle Ben sighed patiently. "Then, my dear girl, you shouldn't have had any; you should have just refused to drink it. That's more sensible then spitting it out."

"I did refuse to drink it. I can't help it if you practically shoved it down my throat."

"I did nothing of the sort."

I knew--and Uncle Ben knew--that she had done it simply as an affront to his kindness. And it took a lot to even mildly annoy Uncle Ben. I wondered what his night had been like.

The girl turned her fiery gaze on me. I could feel that she was frustrated, and more than a little angry. I almost laughed at the absurdity of Uncle Ben and I strapping a girl to my bed and holding her prisoner overnight. Who would have ever thought? Wait until Biggs found out...if he ever was able to find out, that is.

"I have to use the 'fresher." The girl announced.

"Well, I..." Uncle Ben suddenly trailed off, cocking his head as if listening to something. The strangest expression I had ever seen crossed his face. "Him." He breathed.

*Him? Him who?* I wondered.

Uncle Ben whirled on the girl. He hissed through his teeth, understanding dawning on his face. "Palpatine. That's what I felt in you...Palpatine."

Emperor Palpatine? Now I was really confused.

A look I couldn't identify crossed the girl's face, but she kept silent.

Uncle Ben drew a deep breath. "Luke, you have to take her and get out of here. Go, and don't come back."

"What? Uncle Ben, what are you talking about?"

To the girl, Uncle Ben said, "I don't know who you are, but I know who you work for." Sadness and regret chased themselves across his face. "I don't know how you came into the service

14. LeiaSkywalker

Mar 31, 2001
    That was definitely the best post so far!!!! I loved it! I loved how Ben talked to Mara and Luke and I loved how Mara Jade is being so....Mara Jade!!! :D
    And I also love how this Luke is more matture cause he's already been trained!!!

Perfect!!! :)

15. Ghent42

Apr 19, 2001
    Vedy good. Heehee, she's turning into the "Zahn Jade", the one who says "Yup, I'm gonna kill you, buuut . . . I don't feel like it right now, so I'll just hand around and kill you later, ok?"

16. TreeCave

Jul 28, 2001
    Wow! You're a good writer, all around.

17. RebelMom

RebelMom Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 20, 2000
    Wow, that was powerful. I really like the first person format too. It seems to work well here.
    I agree, you are a wonderful writer.

18. Amidala_Skywalker

Amidala_Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 2001
    I have to agree with Leia, this was the best post ever!! Ben's gone.... :( I liked him, but we all have to make sacrifices. I wonder what will happen next??!!

Am [face_love]

19. young_mara

young_mara Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 24, 2001
    Getting really good!
    Post more!

20. Qwi_Xux

Oct 5, 2001
    My next post has been sent to Leia, so whenever she approves it, it will be here. So I'm upping this so I can find it more easily later.

Leia-Thank you!!!! :D

Ghent-Are you accusing me of something? ;) J/K, don't worry...the Emperor doesn't WANT Luke dead right now, Mara was just making an empty threat.

TreeCave-Thanks! :)

RebelMom-Thanks, I prefer first person format...hehe, I think you have the same name as my mother...that's special for me; I'm so close to my mom...

Am-Poor Obi! :_| But you're right, sacrifices do need to be made sometimes...

young_mara-Thanks, I'm working on it!

21. Qwi_Xux

Oct 5, 2001
    Here we go! Thanks, Leia!!!! *sends hugs* You're the best!

MARA

I was so confused.

I watched as Luke stormed off, and something twisted in my heart. Why hadn?t I turned him over to Darth Vader? Obviously, the Emperor had sent him...I told myself it was partly because of my dislike for Vader--I had never liked him, not from the moment I laid eyes on him. The fact that he was sent to take care of Ben and Luke was an affront to my abilities. Had the Emperor lost faith in my skills because of my failure to kill the bounty hunter?

And I was afraid--my master would know I had kept Luke from Vader...and if he didn?t know, he was sure to find out.

Besides that, my mind was still going over the words Obi-Wan had said to me. He had known my last name--how? Had he known my parents? Over the years, there were times I had thought about them. I only had a few vague memories of them. ?How did you come to be in the Emperor?s service?? Ben had asked. "And why do you do it??

What exactly had he meant by that? I served the Emperor because?because?because you?ve been told to, Mara. The back of my mind whispered. It?s been drilled into you your whole life. Instructor after instructor had told me countless times the importance of obeying the Emperor, serving the Emperor, living for the Emperor...dying for the Emperor.

And yet...

Ben had quoted rule seven to me. Question everything. I always believed myself to be independent, controlled by no one. "I don't do things just because people tell me to." I had told Luke only minutes before.

"You do what the Emperor tells you to."

Was it true? Was I really in control of my life? Really making my own choices? I was doing the Emperor?s bidding. That was what I had been trained to do.

To kill. My mind murmured again. To destroy. To obey.

I almost grabbed my head. What was wrong with me? I served the Emperor! What other meaning did I have in life? What else could I do? What else could I be?

I saw Luke jumping on his speeder. ?Hey!? I ran over to where he was powering it up.

He glared at me with red-rimmed eyes. He was emanating anger. ?So you?re gonna kill me now, huh??

I realized, at that moment, that even if the Emperor suddenly told me to kill Luke, I didn?t want to do it. There was something different about him, something I had never seen in anyone. I was both frightened by it, and intrigued.

?I?m coming with you.? I announced.

?In a bantha?s rear you are.? His blue eyes flashed. ?You called Darth Vader here, didn?t you? You killed my uncle.?

?I didn?t kill him, Vader did.?

?But you told him where to come, didn?t you??

?Not directly.?

?Oh, well, indirectly makes it so much better.? Luke said sarcastically.

?Look.? I wasn?t sure what I was saying, I wasn?t even sure what I was doing. I just knew I was so confused right now I had to do something. ?Your uncle knew my last name. No one has ever known that.? No one except the Emperor. ?You both said I had this Force or whatever it is.?

?And??

I didn?t even know if I had a point. I just knew, somehow, that I had to find out what Ben had been talking about. "Seek the truth.? Up until he had said those words, with so much conviction, I had been sure of my truth. I served the Emperor.

Maybe you?ve been wrong. The infuriating voice suggested to me.

No! How could I have been wrong all of these years? I would have known!

Would you have? You were surrounded by the Emperor?s teachers...would you really know if what you had been taught was wrong?

Rule twelve. A good lie is worth its weight in neutronium. Could I have been lied to, all these years, just to get servitude out of me? Something inside of me cringed at that thought; I prided myself on being independent...serving no one but the Emperor.

But maybe serving the Emperor was enough to make me the fool.

The voices in my

22. LeiaSkywalker

Mar 31, 2001
    Qwi, you've outdone yourself again!!!!

I loved everything about Mara!!! Her struggles! Her questions! It's perfect!!! I loved how you thought about everything she might be going through now!

Oh, and I just love her rules! (look at my sig,hehe) :D

23. Ghent42

Apr 19, 2001
    neato! more!

24. MariahJade2

MariahJade2 Former Fan Fiction Archive Editor star 5 VIP

Mar 18, 2001
    You really have these characters down so well. Mara was just wonderful in her confusion. I can't wait for more. :)

25. TreeCave

Jul 28, 2001
    This is SO good. I'm a writer myself, and therefore a very picky reader. Every time I just START to question a character's reaction to a situation, one or the other of them does something that makes so much sense - that's so obviously NOT the most convenient or immediately gratifying direction to take the story in (like Luke taking off while Mara's still having her inner debate) that I'm genuinely startled.

Qui, you're really good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.