main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Whispers in the Night: a young Mara/Luke story, very AU; COMPLETED 3/26/02 *TAGGED*

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Qwi_Xux, Nov 14, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RebelMom

RebelMom Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 20, 2000
    I love all those little rules she keeps quoting.

My name the same as your Mom's? Really? I'm glad you're close to your mom.

2. Amidala_Skywalker

Amidala_Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 2001
    I must agree with everybody else, you write these characters wonderfully. I still like Luke though - of course he has Skywalker spunk!

Loved the post,

Am [face_love]

3. young_mara

young_mara Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 24, 2001
    One, two, three
    MOREMOREMOREMOREMOREMOREMOREMROEMOREMORE!!!!
    *Pant, pant*

4. Qwi_Xux

Qwi_Xux Jedi Master star 4

Oct 5, 2001
    Leia-I'm running out of ways to say thank you! You're so wonderful!!!!!! [face_love]

Ghent-Glad you're still reading; I have more right here... :)

Mariah-Thanks!!! :D

TreeCave-Wow...wow, thank you!!! I never seem to take the easy way out in my writing, hehe...if I always did that, I would have no plot, and the story would be very, very short! I'm so glad you're liking this! :)

RebelMom-Thanks, I enjoy writing them! [face_mischief]

Am-Hehe, you would know about that spunk with all those Anakin stories, now wouldn't you? 8-} *LOL*

young_mara-Breathe, it's okay, I have more! ;)

Tomorrow's Thanksgiving! YAY! I won't be posting because I'm working with my mom on all the food, and then I'm spending the rest of the day with family.

LUKE

I knew exactly where I was going as I flew over the desert in the speeder. I was so furious and in turmoil that my mind automatically took over, getting me where I needed to go.

He?s dead! I can?t believe he?s dead! The thought ran over and over through my mind. Uncle Ben had raised me--I didn?t even remember my parents. And now he was gone. And it was all that girl?s fault.

It took me a several minutes to actually realize I was crying. I don?t want him to be dead! I want him here with me!

*But I am here with you.*

I jerked the speeder to a stop, looking around for the voice I had just heard in my head. ?Uncle Ben?? I whispered.

*I will always be here with you.* Uncle Ben?s voice continued in my mind.

?Where...where are you?? I asked.

*I?m at peace, Luke. I?m one with the Force, now. You, however, have things you need to concern yourself with. The girl, for one.*

?I hate her!? I said hotly. ?It?s her fault you?re...dead.? It was the strangest thing, to be talking to someone who was dead. I wondered if I was hallucinating.

*I thought I had taught you better than that.* Uncle Ben chided. *Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering. Things happen for a reason, Luke, my death included. You can not afford to turn to the dark side because of me. There is too much at stake.* His voice seemed to sigh. *The girl is important, Luke. I didn?t see just how important until it was too late. She has the potential to be a great Jedi, just as you do. There is much more to her past than even she knows. You need to help her discover what it is, and you need to discover your own truths as well.*

?You said that already! What do you mean? What truths? And what did you mean when you said the Lars? weren?t my parents??

*I don?t have time to explain.* Uncle Ben?s voice was fading. *You?ll have to discover this on your own. Don?t hate her, Luke. She doesn't know what she's doing. That?s the wrong path. Never turn to the dark side for my sake. Never.* With those final words, Uncle Ben was gone from my mind.

Oddly enough, my anger, my fear, my hatred, had slowly drained throughout the conversation. Now I was just lonely, and sad, and very tired. I was comforted by the knowledge that Uncle Ben was still with me...and though I still wanted him alive, I owed it to him to listen to his words. To do what he told me to. He was my uncle, my master, my mentor, my friend...

I still very much disliked the idea of helping that girl to do anything. As far as I was concerned, I could never see her again and be completely content.

Only...Uncle Ben had said she was important. To what, I wasn?t sure. But I owed it to him to seek out these truths he wanted me to find.

I found her walking across the desert, away from my home. A twinge of bitterness welled up inside of me when I saw her. I immediately drew on the Force to calm myself. There is no anger, only peace.

I drove the speeder up to her and stopped. She raised her eyebrows. ?Back so soon??

?You need to come with me.? I declared.

?Oh, really. Weren?t you the one who told me ?in a banth

5. LeiaSkywalker

LeiaSkywalker Jedi Master star 3

Mar 31, 2001
    I love Luke and Mara's bantering! And his grieving... And her reactions!!! Everything, as usual!!! :)

6. RebelMom

Apr 20, 2000
    Yet another fine post. Very good working through Luke's emotions.

7. Amidala_Skywalker

Jul 4, 2001
    Luke and Mara.......can I sense a potential relationship here? I hope I do, it's a fantastic idea to have them met in this timeframe :) I don't have that many Anakin stories *blushes* Or do I.......hehehe

Am [face_love]

8. LeiaSkywalker

Mar 31, 2001
    I know that today's Thanksgiving and all and that Qwi's not posting today but... What's this doing on page 4 anyway?????? :mad:

Sorry, it's just that I'm a big fan of hers!!! :D

9. MariahJade2

MariahJade2 Former Fan Fiction Archive Editor star 5 VIP

Mar 18, 2001
    The meal is done, the family is in bed and I get to read this wonderful story. Thanks
    for the nightcap. :)

Luke's emotions were just right, as were Mara's. Keep going.

10. Ghent42

Ghent42 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 19, 2001
    WHAT?!?!? No one has posted here in TWO DAYS! shocking :eek: . Qwi must return soon and write more. That last part was great, Qwi!

11. Qwi_Xux

Oct 5, 2001
    Leia-Thanks for everything!

RebelMom-Thank you. :D

Am-I'm not sure of that side of things, we'll see as it goes on. 'Not a lot of Anakin stores' hehehe...right. ;)

Mariah-You're welcome! I'm glad you're still enjoying this.

Ghent-Well, see, my poor, dear sweet beta was soooo incredibly busy she didn't have time to read my posts. I do have a couple for this story written, they just have to be looked over. I'm hoping to have something up tonight. Patience!! [face_mischief]

12. Rebecca191

Rebecca191 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 2, 1999
    Patience? UGH! :(

13. stevo

stevo Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 14, 2001
    ::gets up, gets on computer, checks to see if Qwi has posted, goes back to sleep until tonight::

14. Ghent42

Apr 19, 2001
    a Jedi must always have patience :)

15. Qwi_Xux

Oct 5, 2001
    New post up very soon! Leia is betaing today's posts!

This is my 1000 post! HAHAHA!!! :D [face_mischief] :D ;)

*quickly calms down* Anyway. Post coming soon.

16. Qwi_Xux

Oct 5, 2001
    All righty, here it is, as promised! Thanks, Leia!!!!!

MARA

As we flew across the hot desert, I could feel the angst rolling off of Luke. I didn't think he meant for me to feel it, but I had been around too many people to not pick up on it. I also knew that I was feeling the same way, and I hoped he didn't pick up on that.

I couldn't allow myself to be weak. Rule five. Never give the enemy a chance to see your weaknesses. That rule worked in tandem with rule six: never be foolish enough to think you have no weaknesses. As far as I was concerned, Luke was my enemy.

Then why was I going with him?

It was at that inopportune moment that Emperor Palpatine chose to contact me. *Mara Jade.*

A pang of fear ran through me. I quickly stifled it, not wanting him to feel it. *Master.* I acknowledged.

His voice in my mind was low and cold--colder than usual. *What happened, Mara Jade?I sent Darth Vader to Tatooine to pick up an occupant, and he apparently wasn't there.*

Pick up? But Vader had killed Ben...why would he want Luke alive? And how much did he know about my part in what had happened? I quickly tried to figure out what I should say. *I am with the boy right now.* I responded. *He wasn't in the house when Darth Vader arrived.*

*As was apparent by his absense. Do not mock my intelligence.*

*Forgive me, Master.* I paused, still unsure if he knew my part in keeping Luke from Vader. *What is your bidding?*

*Bring Luke to me.* Emperor Palpatine said.

Again, I felt a greediness inside of him, and I wondered what the importance of this boy was to him. And why,why would he have sent Vader to get him, instead of asking me in the first place? And do I want to turn him over to Emperor Palpatine? Why do I suddenly feel out of the loop? Why do I suddenly want to know the reason my master is asking me to do this? I've never questioned before, I've always obeyed.

Luke glanced over his shoulder at me. "Blind obedience is the quickest way to losing yourself."

I gaped at him. "What?" How had he known what I was thinking? Had he known?

A puzzled look crossed Luke's face, and he turned back to focusing on his driving. "I don't know why I said that." He muttered.

Quickly, so Emperor Palpatine wouldn't suspect anything, I said, *Yes, Master.*

He lurked on the edges of my mind for a moment longer. *Bring him to me, Mara Jade, and make sure you complete your original mission.* He faded from my mind.

I stared at Luke's back, my mind racing over different things. For one of the first times in my life, I wondered exactly how this connection with my master worked...Master. The word resonated in my brain. Master...it indicated that I was the servant. The servant? Or the slave?

I grew more and more frustrated with myself as the speeder continued across the desert. It was treason for me to have these thoughts! In an attempt to distract myself, I asked Luke, "Where are we going?"

"My parents...the Lars'...homestead. They were moisture farmers."

"Moisture farmers?"

"Yes."

"What happened to them?"

"They died when I was really little. I don't remember them, but Uncle Ben showed me where they lived."

A thought crossed my mind. "What truths do you have to find?" Not like I cared, but the conversation kept my thoughts off of other things.

"I...I don't know. I don't know anything, anymore." Luke said softly.

For an instant, I felt sorry for him, but I quickly pushed that emotion aside.
    "Don't allow yourself to become emotionally involved with your quarry."
    My tactics instructor--whom I still loathed--had told me, over and over again. "Say what you must to get them to trust you, if the need arises. Pretend to be interested. But the moment you allow yourself to truly feel for them, you become weak. You lose your drive, and your judgment becomes clouded."

I still had to find

17. RebelMom

Apr 20, 2000
    That's right, Mara. Question the Emperor.
    Lovely post Qwi.

18. LeiaSkywalker

Mar 31, 2001
    I loved this post so much!!!! :D

How Luke treated her, he was so clever!!!! And very gentleman like! *LOL*

And how Mara's questioning herself and still, fighting herself at every turn!

Oh, Qwi, you just write sooooo well!!!!!!! :)

19. Tyria-Solo

Tyria-Solo Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 22, 2001
    Oh Qwi!!! You write so well! I love this story!! I can't wait for more.

20. MariahJade2

MariahJade2 Former Fan Fiction Archive Editor star 5 VIP

Mar 18, 2001
    Luke glanced over his shoulder at me. "Blind obedience is the quickest way to losing yourself."

I just loved this line. Luke is already connected to her without knowing it, and Mara is faced with choices,... perhaps beginning to understand that she hasn't had them before.

Thanks for the post. :)

21. Amidala_Skywalker

Jul 4, 2001
    Very in-depth post into Mara's thoughts! We needed one, I loved seeing the conflict that she had, it gave this fic realism. You think of me when you think of mush? That is truly a honour, coming from you.

Lovely Post, glad to see your back up and posting - now if i could do the same,

Am [face_love]

22. Ghent42

Apr 19, 2001
    oww-oun-ound-wond-wound-round-ruond-ground- THAT'S IT! GROUND! I wonder if it will be friends with me.

goodgoodgood

23. Qwi_Xux

Oct 5, 2001
    RebelMom-She's learning...Thanks! :D

Leia-Thank you!

And I have to leave this note: my wonderful beta, who is soooo busy with her life, somehow manages to keep up on all of my posts--and she betaed FOUR of them for me yesterday, so hats off to Leia!

Tyria-Thank you; I'm glad to see you here!

Mariah-Thanks, I love hearing what people liked about the post. And yes, she is beginning to have her eyes opened, isn't she? :)

Am-Thank you--and I see you DID get around to posting. ;) And for some reason Leia thinks you'll like this post...I hope you do. ;) [face_mischief]

Ghent-What??? Oookay. 8-}

Here's today's post.

LUKE

"This is it?" Mara Jade looked around my parents' homestead. I could see no emotion on her face--it seemed as if she had been trained not to show emotion, the way she handled things.

"Yup." I jumped out of the speeder, about to walk away, but then I froze and turned around. I would have just ignored Mara, but all of the training and all the manners Uncle Ben had taught me wouldn't let me. I offered her my hand. She stared at it. "What?"

"I'll help you out."

"I can get out myself, you know." Still, she stayed in her seat and eyed my hand.

In that instant, I knew that anyone offering to help her--even to give her a hand out--was very rare. "It's not so bad, accepting help sometimes." She was about to retort, so I quickly said, "Or at least pretending to accept it."

Mara paused for an instant, and I realized I had been right in thinking that pretending was something she was good at. She studied me for a moment longer, then decided to play along. Acting a part. It was something she was comfortable with. She took my hand, and I helped her out of the speeder. As soon as her feet touched the ground, she pulled her hand away and headed for the old house. "It's barely standing." She stated.

"It's been left here for years." I followed her toward the house.

It had taken us several hours on the speeder to reach the farm. Uncle Ben and I didn't live close to my parents' old house at all. I knew Uncle Ben had said the Lars' weren't really my parents, but I had thought of them that way my whole life. To find out that they weren't...I didn't even know how to feel about that. Why would Uncle Ben have lied to me all these years?

Mara and I reached the house. Mara stepped over a broken, rusted piece of equipment that I couldn't identify. "Most everything was taken by scavengers...Jawas and stuff." I explained.

Mara set foot into the house and froze. A shiver ran through her body.

"What?" I asked. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing." Mara snapped.

I didn't believe her. Something had affected her...something else she was going to be closed up about.

"How did your parents die?" Mara asked. She bent to pick up a piece of the fallen roof.

"They were killed by Tusken Raiders. At least, that's what Uncle Ben told me." Could he have lied about that, too?

"What he told you? Do you suddenly doubt him now?"

I hesitated, unsure of how much to reveal to her. "The...truths he told me about...he told me the Lars' weren't really my parents..."

"And that's why you're here." Mara suggested. "You're looking for answers."

I silently nodded.

"What are you expecting to find?" Mara asked. "There's nothing here."

I threw up my hands. "I don't know!" I burst out, suddenly frustrated with everything. "I don't know, okay?"

Mara didn't look the least bit ruffled by my outburst. She stepped over a pile of rubble and looked up through the huge hole in the ceiling without saying anything.

I sighed to myself. Where was all my Jedi training going? I was supposed to be calm...in control of my emotions.

Mara walked to the back of the room and laid her hands on the wall.

"What are you doing?"

"There's something here." Mara explained in a near-whisper.

"What are you talking about? You just said there was nothing here." I walked towards her

24. Ghent42

Apr 19, 2001
    ooooh, intriguing. The fate of Naboo. I always wondered what happened to that place.

goodgoodgood!
    moremoremore!

BTW- I am honoring this thread with my 500th post.

25. stevo

stevo Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 14, 2001
    I love Mara's dispostion!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.