main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Whispers in the Night *REPOST* young Mara/Luke AU COMPLETED 10/20/03

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Qwi_Xux, Sep 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maramijade

maramijade Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 17, 2000
    Finally caught up :D

Wonderful Qwi!!!

I love the interaction between Luke and Mara. Also how he didn't, although he trusted Leia, tell her what was going on. It's kinda hard to put it into perspective that this is only about a year and a half before ANH, that is if you go by the train of thought that Luke and Leia were 18. I keep wanting to think they are 16, or did at the begining and now I keep wantig to think that they are much older. Both of them seem to act that way. (not that that's a bad thing.)

Looking forward to more Qwi :D this is great and I'm hooked. :D

2. Dancing_Jansons

Dancing_Jansons Jedi Master star 3

Oct 1, 2002
    I want Luke to find out so badly why everyone seems to know who he is. Surprise! You're important!

Poor Mara, jealous without reason and pissed off about it too.

Nice post, Qwi!

3. Gabri_Jade

Gabri_Jade Fanfic Archive Editor Emeritus star 5 VIP

Nov 9, 2002
    *sighs* I've gotten behind again, haven't I? Well, I enjoyed getting caught up, anyway. :)

I love hearing what parts you liked and why.

*grins* That's good, because here it comes again. :p

*Just how many of these rules do you have?*

Mara's rules of warfare remind me of Phil's hero rules in Disney's Hercules. This is a good thing, really. I love that movie. :p :D

*Stay out of my mind, Jade.*

And of course I love this! It's always fun to see Luke get to say that line. :D

I love his eyes...they're so thoughtful...so intense. The thought startled me. Where had that come from?

This part is great. It's nice to see such subtle signs of Luke and Mara's growing affection for each other, even if they won't admit it yet.

"They're stupid, Luke!" Mara said in a low voice so that they couldn't hear her. "They're supposed to be politicians--professionals; at least some of them! I've seen Mon Mothma in the Senate, and she always seemed very capable and...and smart, but now...look at her!"

This is a neat insight to Mara's personality. She had to have known that Mon Mothma was hardly a friend to the Emperor before now, but she'd had a high opinion of Mon Mothma even so, because she seemed intelligent and capable - but now that she's done something that Mara considers stupid, that opinion is lowered. I really think that incompetence or idiocy disgust Mara more even than evil does. At least with cleverly done evil, like Palpatine's or Vader's, Mara respects the intelligence behind its execution even if she hates the evil itself, or its result. But incompetence really grates on her.

My eyes glanced over to Luke. He was watching Leia with an awestruck look on his face, which irritated me for some reason.

Another subtle touch. I love it. :D

"Luke Lars?" Why did Bail Organa suddenly sound shocked? He blinked as he looked at me, then at his daughter.

I still do a double take when I read 'Luke Lars'. :p But it's cool to see Bail's reaction to Luke. It would have been fun to see a similar reaction if Alderaan hadn't been destroyed.

In summary: Great posts, Qwi! :D

4. Qwi_Xux

Qwi_Xux Jedi Master star 4

Oct 5, 2001
    Aimeer-Yes, it really must be horrible. :(

Mom-Isn't he, though? ;)

Sache-Hehe, I hadn't thought of it that way, but you're right. Interesting parallel. :D

Monica-Lots of stuff happening soon... [face_mischief] And Mara's just as anxious to get Palpatine out of her head...
    Thank you!

maramijade-Thank you so much! :) The whole time feeling is a bit odd to think about sometimes. I think in some cases, Luke still has some childish parts, but he's had to grow up very fast. But then, it's still weird for me to think about Luke and Leia only being 18 in the original SW (if you go by that train of thought).

Jansons-You're about to get your wish. ;)

Gabri-LOL! Phil's hero rules! I'd completely forgotten about them. :D I really think that incompetence or idiocy disgust Mara more even than evil does. I think you have a very interesting (and good) point there. She might not even particularly like the person, but still respect them for their capabilities. Another subtle touch. I love it. :D Glad to hear it! Subtle touches are so much fun...diving right into the romance wouldn't fit at all in this. I still do a double take when I read 'Luke Lars' LOL! Believe it or not, so do I. When I started to reread this so I could edit it, I was startled the first time I read 'Luke Lars,' and I wrote it. 8-} Thanks for all the feedback!

All righty...here's another post.

I awoke to the touch of someone's hand on my face. My Jedi reflexes kicked in, and I was immediately up and aware, reaching for my lightsaber. "No, no...I'm not going to hurt you," a woman's voice whispered.

I focused on the face in front of me. A woman with long blonde hair, probably in her late thirties or early forties, was gazing at me with wonder in her blue eyes. She was pretty, but I noticed the laugh and worry lines on her face. She looked...she looked like she had seen a lot. I quickly took in the room--some of the Rebels were still talking or lying on cots, but Ana and some of the others were gone. Mara was still sleeping. "Who are you?" I asked.

The woman smiled at me, and tears filled her eyes. "You're truly Luke Lars?"

"Yes."

"Did you...did you..." She looked around furtively. "Did you ever know an Obi-Wan Kenobi?"

My interest flared even more. "I knew a Ben Kenobi. He was my uncle," I answered honestly. "Did you know him?"

"Ben...Obi-Wan...he must have changed his name..." she murmured. In explanation to me, she said, "He was an old friend--of mine, and of your mother's."

"My mother?" Uncle Ben had said the Lars' weren't my parents, so was she talking about my real mother? "What do you know about my mother? And who are you?"

"Forgive me. My name is Eirtaé."

Eirtaé. It was a pretty name, and it suited her perfectly. "Please," I asked, "please will you tell me what you know about my mother?"

"I would be glad to. She wanted me to, if you ever found your way to me, or any of the others."

"Others?" I wondered.

"Handmaidens. Bodyguards," Eirtaé responded.

Now I was really confused.

Eirtaé saw my expression and laughed. "Oh, it's so wonderful to see you again! I never thought I would see the day! Before I tell you the story, however, I need to call Leia down here." She pushed herself to her feet. "I'll be right back."

She was, too. Several minutes later, she reappeared with Leia, who was confused (I could feel it) but hiding it well. "Sit there, darling." Eirtaé motioned Leia to sit beside me. Leia complied, and Eirtaé wiped away tears again. "Seeing you two together again..." she breathed.

Leia and I exchanged glances. Together? Again? What? "Eirtaé, what's going on?" Liea asked.

"Let me tell you two a story. You have to swear to keep it quiet. You can't tell anyone about this."

I wouldn't. Except Mara...she would find out anyway eventually.

"It started a long time ago. I was a bodyguard for the queen of Naboo."

Naboo! Padmé had been the se

5. RebelMom

RebelMom Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 20, 2000
    Aww, I love this story.

I better get back to work... *sigh*

6. Sache8

Sache8 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2000
    Yay for the handmaidens!! :D And poor Mara. It's so great she's come to all these realizations. I do think, however, that she needs a cookie and a hug right now. ;)

(I've been handing out a lot of these cyber-cookies lately :p)

7. Monica_Skywalker

Monica_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 10, 2002
    This just keeps getting better by the post! I'm glad that Luke and Leia finally met, and that they know the truth. :D

Mara's feelings are developing nicely. Now if only she'd share them with Luke...

I wonder what'll happen when the two of them get to Yane...

Fantastic post! :D

8. Gabri_Jade

Nov 9, 2002
    Whee! More story! :D

Now, though, there was a tiredness to his face. A wary look that hadn't been there before. Every day he's learning more about the real universe. I had told him he didn't know anything about it. Somehow, the thought that he was learning didn't make me feel better. It actually saddened me.

Very descriptive! Good job of showing emotional growth on both their parts.

"The Emperor!" the droid--Threepio?--broke in. "Here? Oh, my! What will your father say, Mistress Leia? The Rebellion! It could--"

They told Threepio about the Rebellion? With his big mouth? What were they thinking? :eek:

Yet he had stood firm and shown me nothing but kindness.

And I loved him for it.

Perfect! [face_love] All the subtleties flow so beautifully into this epiphany. Completely believable. :D

I couldn't love Luke. I was...I was guilty and dirty and...and wrong. I had darkness in me. He...he was light and innocent and good. I had resented him for it for a while, but now I was just feeling ashamed. Ashamed of what I had done, ashamed that I loved Luke. I had no right to care for him.

Oh, now that's just heartbreaking - but also very plausible. I wouldn't be surprised if Mara felt this way in the profic, even if no one ever spelled it out just like that. I always suspected that Mara came to care for Luke before he did for her, and such an attitude on her part could help explain why she didn't come forward more than she did.

I also love how the handmaidens feature in this story. :) Can't wait for the next post! :D

9. maramijade

Feb 17, 2000
    Awww poor Mara!

;) at least she's comming to terms with her feelings much much earlier :D

Yeah I would have to say Ana is going to be pissed.

I'm sure Leia and Eirltae' will be able to stick up for them. They did send Luke and Mara to one of the other sects of the Rebellion after all. :D

Yeah Luke Skywalker is MUCH better than Luke Lars. . . it doesn't fit him :D

10. Aimeer9

Aimeer9 Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 27, 2002
    Like the Leia and Luke reunion, glad that they now know who they are.

Mara in love. awww :)

11. EmilieDarklighter

EmilieDarklighter Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 19, 2002
    I've always loved this story...I'm *so* excited there's going to be a sequel.

*eagerly awaiting my favorite scene*

;)

12. Qwi_Xux

Oct 5, 2001
    Mom-Thank you! :) Work...what fun.

Sache-Of course yay for the handmaidens! *looks pointedly at Sache's username* Cookies! Are they chocolate? Mmmm... *remembers she has chocolate chips in her cupboard* Don't underestimate the power of a cookie and a hug...

Monica-Thank you! :) I'm sure they're glad they met too, and you'll soon see what will happen when they get to Yane. [face_mischief]

Gabri- They told Threepio about the Rebellion? With his big mouth? What were they thinking? LOL! I was thinking that as I was writing it...but then I thought of everything he was privy to knowing in the movies (including working with the Rebellion). So I thought, hmm, why not? 8-}

I always suspected that Mara came to care for Luke before he did for her, and such an attitude on her part could help explain why she didn't come forward more than she did. Thank you for putting that into words; I think some people don't give Mara any (or very little) emotional credit. It's interesting to try to delve into things and see what could possibly have been going on in her mind. I'm glad it's plausible. :)

maramijade-Yes, I'm sure Leia and Eirtae would be able to handle the situation...even if they didn't tell Ana or anyone where they had sent Luke and Mara. :)

Aimeer-Thank you! :)

Emilie-Thank you so much! I'm excited about writing the sequel. :D *wonders what Emmi's favorite scene is* You will tell me when it's up, won't you? [face_mischief]

All righty...the story continues...

LUKE

Baffled, I watched Mara disappear into the 'fresher. Something was wrong with her. I could feel it as strongly as I could feel that I was breathing. She had thrown so many shields up, though--I couldn't violate her privacy by forcing my way into her mind to see what was the matter.

Maybe Palpatine had felt her on Alderaan, and she didn't want to tell me--she hadn't answered when I asked her. That didn't make much sense, though. She had told me before when Palpatine knew where she was. It just felt like this was something different. I sighed. I wished she trusted me enough by now to know she could tell me when something was going on.

That was just it, though. Mara didn't trust anybody.

I glanced at the refresher door, then turned away and looked out the viewport, my thoughts drifting back to the beautiful planet I had just left behind--to Leia, and Eirtaé, and my parents. I wondered how Leia was doing with all the information she had gotten. The person she thought was her father wasn't her father.

Just like Uncle Ben wasn't my uncle. He was Obi-Wan Kenobi. Why hadn't he ever told me? That still hurt. Why hadn't he felt like he could tell me the truth? I could have handled it. And Mara's family...I looked back at the door Mara had disappeared into. Her parents could very well have been Jedi Knights that had been killed in the Purge. Maybe Uncle Ben--I knew he wasn't my uncle, but I still thought of him as that--had known them. Maybe he had recognized her parents in her, or felt it in the Force.

I felt a wave of...of some kind of strange mixture of emotions...anger? confusion? desperation? come from Mara. I thought about going to see if she was all right, but again felt her walls go up. No, I'd wait until she was out of the 'fresher, as she obviously wanted privacy right now.

I sank down in my seat and sighed again. Why did life have to be this complicated?
    As all of Mara's protections were still up, I figured she was just...hiding? No, Mara didn't hide from anything unless it was part of her plan to accomplish the whole of a bigger purpose.

So what was going on with her? Females were already hard for me to understand--I hadn't known many on Tatooine, and Mara was so much more difficult. I was trying my best to sympathize, but she didn't want sympathy. She wanted...Force, I didn't even know what Mara wanted. That was the whole problem. Every time I got a little bit close to finding out

13. Aimeer9

Sep 27, 2002
    Kissy Kissy ;)
    The end is around the corner and then sequel.
    Yeah!

14. Sache8

Mar 19, 2000
    Grrr.... I want to know the secret of Mara's heritage! :p (How long till that? ;))

Yay! Special romantic moments and confessions of love! [face_love] [face_love] Mara probably got a huge shock by Luke's confession, huh? ;)

EDIT: Three cheers for Yané! Huzzah!

15. RebelMom

Apr 20, 2000
    Ooh, the kiss and the confession. Then all the excitement. What a life. ;)

16. Dancing_Jansons

Dancing_Jansons Jedi Master star 3

Oct 1, 2002
    Aww, Luke loves her! I'm glad he said it first even if he realized it last because Mara wouldn't have made herself vulnerable like that. And she didn't break anything when he told her! Oh, progress!

Now, who is that traitor, hmm?

17. Gabri_Jade

Nov 9, 2002
    Ooooh! Luke/Mara mushy (well, almost :p ) goodness! :D

I think some people don't give Mara any (or very little) emotional credit.

I couldn't agree more, Qwi. Mara is much more than most people seem to perceive her to be. :)

I wanted to see her, to truly see what was going on inside of her. I wanted more than anything to appreciate who she was, for all that she was. I wanted to know what hurt her, scared her (most people might think she feared nothing, but I knew everyone had fears about something), what made her laugh and cry. Come to think of it, I had never seen her laugh. Not for the sheer delight of something. It was always scornful or mocking.

I wanted to know the person that was Mara Jade.

Aw!!! *melts* Seriously, that's so sweet. [face_love]

"All right." I studied Mara as she began landing preparations. She was definitely keeping something from me--she felt odd, almost uncomfortable around me. It was definitely me that was bothering her. "Mara, did I do something to offend you?" I wouldn't be surprised--half the things I did seemed to offend her.

Luke's so cute when he's oblivious. :D

How could anyone have trained her to do this? To be like this? I still knew nothing about how she had grown up, or when her training had begun. It wasn't right for someone to have done this to her, to have tried to make her into an emotionless killer who did whatever she was commanded. She had a wild spirit, a fiery personality that defined her very being. How dare someone try to take that from her!

And even cuter when he's protective! [face_love]

I nodded, somewhat nervous about the admission, but wonder growing within me. It was so true. I loved her--for everything she was, and everything she had the potential to be.

Mara studied me for several long moments. Her emotions were too mixed for me to try to sort out. Eyes still locked on mine, she nodded once. I wasn't sure if that was acceptance, or if she returned it...but it was enough for now. At least she hadn't hit me or laughed at me.

Very well written! Quite eloquent; and Luke's right, that's a very encouraging sign coming from Mara at this stage. :) And I must echo Sache's cheers for Yané. It's good to see her alive and well. :D

18. EmilieDarklighter

EmilieDarklighter Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 19, 2002
    Please, call me Emmi. ;)

And THERE it is! My favorite part, which has been read and reread and read again...

We broke apart from each other at the same time and laid there, breathing heavily and staring wide-eyed at each other. Mara's walls were completely crumbled now, and our connection was much deeper than before. I could almost think her thoughts. I attempted to get some sense of which thoughts were mine and which were hers, sorting them until I felt I was in control of myself again.

This whole post, basically, is my favorite part. I love the way you did that! And did you edit it a little this time around? It seems even better than usual!

-Emmi

19. maramijade

Feb 17, 2000
    Absolutely, positively marvelous Qwi :D

L/M mush . . . :D

I expected the whole move along scene but this was SOOOOO much better!!!

Hmmmmmm Yane' knows about Mara's past. I wonder why it's such an interesting prospect that they are there together.

hmmmm I wonder what the previous connection was . . . :D Looking forward to the next post Qwi!!

20. Monica_Skywalker

Jul 10, 2002
    :eek: They kissed!! [face_love] Finally! :p I'm so happy for them, especially now that Luke has confessed his feelings for Mara (hopefully she'll do the same soon! ;))

I'm addicted to this story now, and I can't wait to see what happens next!

21. Qwi_Xux

Oct 5, 2001
    Aimeer-Yes, indeed! :D

Sache-LOL, we're at Mara's heritage now! Really! Just read on... Confessions of love are always fun to write...(though I haven't written any recently. *sigh* ;)

Mom-Hehe, a life that's interesting to write about...but not one I'd like to deal with everyday! 8-}

Jansons-LOL! Definitely progress--and you're right. [face_mischief] Mara's not ready to be vulnerable. Ah, yes...the traitor...

Gabri-Ah, mushy for Luke and Mara isn't necessarily mush for everyone else. ;) Hehe, oblivious, protective...Luke's just a cutie. 8-}

Emmi-Yay! Your favorite part. Glad you liked it! :D And I edited a little bit, but not enough to make a differenc. :)

maramijade-Why, thank you! [face_blush] And this should explain how Yane knows Mara's name...

Monica-Thank you! :D And Mara should sort things out soon enough...

Special thanks to Ammy (Amidala_Skywalker) for her Japanese expertise. :)

As I explained the first time I posted this, I put a lot of thought into Mara's heritage...and while this isn't something I might normally use, it just fit in this case.

MARA

I was reeling. That was the only way I could explain it. I was keeping a calm, cool head in spite of myself, trying to hold onto any bit of training I had received to keep me stable. I didn't feel stable. I felt like screaming and yelling and crying. I never, ever cried. It was unacceptable.

The room was huge and cold. So empty. A very harsh looking woman--my hated tactics instructor--stood with her hands planted on her wide hips, glaring down at me. "Stop that right now!" she said in her deathly frozen voice.

I continued to sob, staring down at my broken arm. It hurt soooo much! "I-I can't!"

SLAP! The hand swung across my face. I knew it was coming! I knew it was, and I would have dodged it, but I was pressed against a wall with nowhere to go. Now my face stung, and my arm was throbbing. I tried to control my tears, but they kept coming.

SLAP! I was hit again, this time on the other side of my face. "Crying is unacceptable." my tactics instructor said tautly. "It is a weakness that is not fitting. It will hinder you when you're fighting; it will make you feel pity for your enemy."

I balled the hand on my good arm into a fist and pressed it against my mouth, attempting to stifle the cries.

It wasn't good enough. I was kicked this time, and my instructor wouldn't let me collapse to the floor. "Stand up, Mara Jade! Don't let the enemy ever see you fall!"

I drew on every strength my almost-seven-year-old body possessed. I pulled into myself, blocking off my feelings. My emotions. I had to stop them, and maybe the pain would go away.

Crying meant pain. I couldn't cry. Even when I was hurt.

"Mara! Mara!" I abruptly realized Luke's concerned face was centimeters from mine. "Are you okay?"

Luke...oh, what he meant to me! I couldn't believe he had kissed me...that I had kissed him. It had been both terrifying and wonderful...terrifying because I had never let my emotional barriers come all the way down. Wonderful because now I knew that he loved me, too. He had told me, and I...I hadn't known how to respond to that. I hadn't thought it possible for him to love me. I was...I was me.

It was so hard not to put my emotional barriers back into place. I was so accustomed to doing it. Luke wouldn't let me, though. I could feel him so much more strongly than before--our connection went much deeper than I had allowed it to before.

And I didn't regret it for an instant. I felt defiant--defiant of all my old teachers, defiant of the Empire, defiant of Palpatine. I needed to feel that way, if I was ever going to beat the Emperor.

Realizing that Luke was still in front of me, I nodded tersely. "I'm fine."

He didn't look completely convinced, but he nodded, accepting my answer. I glanced ahead at Yané, who was leading us through the twisted alleys of Corellia. She knew my name. It

22. Aimeer9

Sep 27, 2002
    It is nice that Mara has somthing of her mother's. I think the droid is a neat way to connect her to her mom.

23. RebelMom

Apr 20, 2000
    Ah, Veggies. :) It's great to see Mara open up emotionally.

24. Monica_Skywalker

Jul 10, 2002
    Now that both Luke and Mara know the truth about their families, hopefully they will be able to connect better with each other (and from the last post, it looks like they have. [face_love] [face_love])

I'm so happy that Mara has learned about her past! :D The part where she uncovered what was in the droid was cute, and was one of my favorite parts so far.

Wonderful post! :D

25. Sache8

Mar 19, 2000
    Wonderful because now I knew that he loved me, too. He had told me, and I...I hadn't known how to respond to that. I hadn't thought it possible for him to love me. I was...I was me.

Undoubtedly one of my favorite passages thus far, mostly because I can relate to it in as somewhat different context, with a very different someone, and a very RL way. I think you might know what I mean. ;)

Wow, Mara is Obi-Wan's daughter, that's so cool! How hard it must have been for him when he realized, only he couldn't tell her or anything. :(

Great to see Wedge. Now where the heck is our other favorite Corellian? ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.