white lightsaber

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by citizen-austin, May 2, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: AdamBertocci
  1. citizen-austin Jedi Knight

star 1
    im debating on my new film what color my hero should have on their lightsaber. i thought white sounded cool and different. does anyone know any fan films that use a white lightsaber? so i can see how it looks...
  2. Son-Of-Suns Jedi Master

star 4
    I have heard of White Lightsabers, actually silver, I think they've been used in the EU a couple times, LIA+ can do them.
  3. wixmmm Jedi Master

star 4
    Silver lightsabers are VERY cool... I actually just got done roto-ing one of my fights in which Raynar Thul (for any of you EU people) is in. It states in the books that he has a silver sabre.

I found that the best results came from pure white with a pinch of blue added...

Anything else i've tried gives you a bland grey... which looked horrible.

Cya
    Mike

4. citizen-austin Jedi Knight

star 1
    yea ive got this test shot of a character. when i make it to white it mixes with the clouds, too gray it looks ugly, im looking for that perfect light silverish
  5. citizen-austin Jedi Knight

star 1
  6. Macho Jedi Master

star 4
    I thought a black saber would be pretty cool! it would be like a black light!...
  7. Arkalius Jedi Knight

I think I recall hearing that if a lightsaber is white, that means it was constructed improperly and is useless... Though I imagine silver would be nice.

-Arkalius
  8. Lar_1138 Jedi Knight

star 1
    sorry to pop your potato, but a light sabre couldn't quite be black...

black is the absence of light... therefore it can not eminate from anything
  9. wixmmm Jedi Master

star 4
    No lars, as we speak I have a few black lights in my garage for parties...

they give a sweet effect ;)

Let's not get into a cleche, geeky, technical debate here.

Cya
    Mike
  10. DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I once thought a black lightsaber would be kind of cool, so I tried some tests...

The interesting thing is, it's impossible to accomplish with lightsaber creation techniques. All the tutorials you could use to make good lightsabers are incapable of creating a black glow.

M. Scott
  11. Macho Jedi Master

star 4
    no I can create a black light saber! The problem is it won't show up on a black back ground.
  12. DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus

star 6
  13. Antilles01 Jedi Knight

star 3
    Macho, a black light is purple.
  14. DarthFoole Jedi Master

star 2
    First answer:
    Luke's sabre starts out white in ANH. every scene with the sabre drawn in that movie shows it white. I can't see a hint of blue in that bad boy, even in the special edition.

Second answer:
    a black-core sabre with a purplish glow would be quite rad, but everything i tried in photoshop stymied me. It can't be done with "screen," the most common method, so if anyone knows a method that works, i'm all ears.
  15. trixter Jedi Knight

star 2
    I actually successfully did a blacklight blade once, here is how i did it.
    If you like it use it, if not thats ok too.
    Any coments would be nice.

first we need to create 2 additional layers

layers> new layer>
    name it outer glow

make sure the color your going to draw with is white.

Now either draw a line or outline the blade area with the Marquee tool
    and paint the area white. This is your first step.

Now we need to add the outer glow
    go to
    Layers> Effects> Outer glow
    change the mode to screen
    Opacity= 100%
    Blur= 25%
    Intensity= 200%

then choose your color, i used 185,0. 185, then click ok

select new layer
    label inner glow
    switch the line color to black
    braw a black line over the white line
    go to layers and select, inner glow
    change mode to screen

opacity= 100%
    Blur= 15%
    Intensity= 100%
    then choose your inner color
    for this one i used 247, 159, 247
  16. Arkalius Jedi Knight

Actually Luke's first saber (Anakin's Saber) is not technically blue, it's more of a light blue (there was a name for it but I forgot). It certainly isn't white...

17. Lots Jedi Master

star 4
    heh i've always imagined a black saber as having a white core still but eminating black.. so i tried once... but all i could get out of it was an effect that looked like the saber was distoring space around it and looked like a black slit in regular space (or a tear in space time :p)... which is very cool :) .. then i came to the conclusion that a black saber (dark saber is more fitting..) would anihilate anything in its path.. even light sabers ... since it would be the absence of light.. anyway such an idea when brought to the attention of my fellow starwars geeks in the dorm caused quite a debate :)
  18. Shadow_of_Evil Jedi Youngling

star 6
    i tried a black sabre in photoshop once, i dont think its possible to get the black to glow.
  19. Ryan_W VIP

VIP
    star 4
    Technically, (talking purely physically about real-life light here) you would not see a "black" saber since black is the absence of light. Black doesn't "glow" since it has no luminance. It would realistically look more like the stealth saber from Jedi Jim's Saber Shack. I've tried a couple blacksaber tests before and they all looked phoney because nothing in real life does that.

My rule is, it has to be able to be "screened" in AE/PS. Black can't be.

And blacklights (the color our eyes can detect) are purple.

Another way of thinking about it is that there's no black in the color spectrum. The absence of light, perhaps, but it's not a "color".
  20. Lots Jedi Master

star 4
    which is why i thought of it as a rip in space time :)
  21. Huginn Jedi Knight

star 1
    Lightsabres cast shadows. This shows that they absorb light. If they absorb light but do not glow then they could be black.

I tried a black sabre effect once but it looked stupid. It just doesn't look good as an effect. I tried a black core with a red outer glow.

With alot of practice and tests I'm going to try to do a flame sabre effect using lightwave. It may end up being too impractical to use but I'll never find out unless I try.
  22. Arkalius Jedi Knight

Black lightsaber effects would be possible. The core of the saber would have to be black, but you can do it. Instead of using screen, you use the opposite which is multiply. (White is a neutral color in multiply like black is in screen). I was able to do it, though it looks kinda funky.

23. YouAgain Force Ghost

star 5
  24. citizen-austin Jedi Knight

star 1
    i just made a brown saber with a white core (physically impossible and wont be in my movie but looks cool) ill fix my ftp and post pics...
  25. Ryan_W VIP

VIP
    star 4
Moderators: AdamBertocci
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.