main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph White Queen

Discussion in 'Community' started by Only-One Cannoli, Aug 21, 2013.

1. Thrawn1786

Thrawn1786 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 8, 2004
    I've read all of the books that the miniseries is based on, and I'm currently watching the BBC version of the show online. Even though the books and the show are wildly inaccurate (this IS Philippa Gregory we're talking about), I find myself wishing I had skipped the books altogether and watched this instead.

For those who are curious, here's the order the Cousins' War books should be read in:

The Lady of the Rivers: focuses on Jacquetta, mother of Elizabeth Woodville, and ends where The White Queen starts. Features Margaret of Anjou and Henry VI.
    The White Queen: focuses on Edward IV and Elizabeth Woodville.
    The Red Queen: focuses on Margaret Beaufort, mother of the future Henry VII.
    The Kingmaker's Daughter: focuses on Anne Neville, Richard III's wife.
    The White Princess: focuses on Elizabeth of York, Henry VII's wife and mother of Henry VIII.

There will be one more book in the series that will focus on Margaret Plantagenet. Based on the timeline the books have been going by, I'm guessing this one will show her death and thus tie in to Gregory's Tudors series.

Like I said, I wish I'd skipped most of these books. The White Queen and The Red Queen were both boring with unlikable protagonists. I don't remember what I thought of Lady of the Rivers, but The Kingmaker's Daughter and The White Princess have been the best of the series. The most interesting parts of the series are Gregory's attempt at answering who killed the princes in the tower, and if one of the princes did survive after all.

Sith-Lord-Gunray likes this.
  2. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    It seems to be a peculiar affliction of the pre-Industrial period pieces, though. Most Civil War dramas, for instance (Glory, Lincoln, The Conspirator) have managed to be both extremely high quality and eschew any lewdness. I wonder why studios lack confidence that a similar formula for other eras might be able to hold people's attention.

3. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    Can you seriously just stop? Stop. Please. It's gross.

4. LostOnHoth

LostOnHoth Chosen One star 5

Feb 15, 2000
    If you are interested in Tudor history (I am) then I recommend Alison Weir as an author. She is far, far, far superior to Philippa Gregory in terms of historical accuracy.

Thrawn1786 likes this.
  5. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    I read the first book in the series (The White Queen--it was the first released, though not the first chronologically) and didn't enjoy it as much as I did some of he others (nothing tops The Other Boleyn Girl--the book, not the terrible movie). I am curious enough to at least give the show a shot, though.

James Frain, who played Cromwell in The Tudors, is Warwick, so that should be fun.

(As a side note--The Tudors was great. If you're looking for a history-based series and don't mind nudity and violence, I highly recommend it. The first few episodes are boring, but once you get into it, it's really good.)

TahiriVeilaSolo69 likes this.
  6. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    I've read The White Queen and The Red Queen, and am reading The White Princess. I'm also watching the series. It's pretty good, but if you're not familiar with the books or the history I think it could get confusing fast.