main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends White Ranger AU/Crossover 5/?

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by JediRangerSaria, Jun 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediRangerSaria

JediRangerSaria Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 9, 2005
    Okay, this needs some explaining.

1. This is a CROSSOVER Fic. It?s Lord of the Rings/ Star Wars. If that ain?t your cup ?o? joe, turn back now. It is also tentatively rated PG-13, but could potentially turn R at any moment. I promise to warn if an when it does.

2. This story takes place BEFORE Episode 1, when the Republic still functioned, but AFTER Return of the King, when the Elves left Middle-Earth for ?Valinor?. The assumption here is that, after the separation and ?hiding of Valinor? in the Silmarilion, ?Valinor? is no longer an island, but a separate planet. Elves are certainly smart enough and capable of space travel (as we?ve seen in the story of Earendil and Elwing?).

3. This story reveals that (in this AU anyway,) the elves established the Jedi Order way back when. All elves are force sensitive, but: a) Valinor is not a member of the republic, b) elves are as reclusive in space as they were in ME, and c) when there is dealings with the elves off-world, it is mostly with the Vanyar elves, not the Noldor, Sindar or Teleri. These three stay almost strictly planetside, and are wary of outsiders.

And, finally,

4. Where there are Elves, there are Orcs.

And now our story begins.

White Ranger

Prologue:

?What do you see??

The question, so simple, and yet so utterly complex, seemed absurd to the bound figure lying on the floor of the cold cell. He assumed it was a cell. He had never actually seen anything, having been born blind. He could see a great deal, but not with his eyes. But then, he had never needed them. And yet-
    The cold floor and stale, sterile air suggested that he was in some sort of well-kept facility. If not a prison, then perhaps a hospital or laboratory of some kind. He wanted to laugh at the absurdity of the question asked, but there was nothing at all about his situation that was funny. He knew what they had meant by it, and he knew what would happen if he refused to answer.

?Tell me,? the cold voice, as sterile as the room he was in, ?what you see.? The man on the floor sighed, reluctantly stretching out his senses to his surroundings. It was indeed a cell, sealed with a force-impervious field of some kind. He wondered numbly how such a device had been created, much less tested for effectiveness. Most likely in situations similar to the one he himself was presently in. ?Here?s to the advancement of scientific knowledge,? he thought wryly.

There were four people in the room- himself, his bland questioner, someone who seemed to be a doctor, and another whose force aura radiated power and control. He turned his attention back to the interrogator.
    ?I see someone who is going to be in an awful lot of trouble for kidnapping and torturing a Jedi.? The accuser didn?t even flinch at the insult, but turned to the doctor behind him. He stepped forward and knelt beside the prone Jedi. From his pocket he withdrew a syringe, and before the unfortunate Jedi could react he was shot full of a substance that burned its way through every vein.

The pain was incredible. It was unlike anything he had ever experienced before. He could feel its slow agonizing course through his bloodstream, infecting every cell with whatever evil it was designed to accomplish. He tasted his own blood as he clamped down on his lip to keep from screaming. ?Control your fear,? he remembered his master?s words, ?pain can be controlled through the force. Do not give them the satisfaction of your reaction.? But that was three days ago, and he no longer felt his master?s presence. He tried desperately to kill the pain as he?s been taught, but it was useless. The drug seared every part of him, like a fire raging from within. It felt like dying.
    He finally screamed.

Soon after, the pain began to fade, and he could breathe again. His hair and face, now soaked with sweat, felt cold. His limbs trembled with the memory of the intense pain, and he found himself grateful to be still alive.
    ?Good,? the icy voice was back. He felt swift anger that he scra

2. Kadi

Kadi Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 24, 2004
    Wow. :eek: I'll definitely be watching this one.

How many years are between this and TPM?

Can't wait for more. :)

3. Shaindl

Shaindl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    Intriguing beginning and nicely written. Just a note - the ratings for fanfic here are PG - not PG13 and certainly not R. Just be aware that if you go over that, the mods will ask you to edit your post. Also, from what's posted so far, I suspect you might want to check out the fanfic torture rule. There are limits on what you can post.

Other than that, great job and welcome to the boards! :)

Shaindl

4. JediRangerSaria

Jun 9, 2005
    Thank you! I wasn't going to give this away so soon, but this is when Yoda is a Padewan ;)

5. JediRangerSaria

Jun 9, 2005
    Thanks for the heads up, Shaindl (I have a friend with that name!) I'll definately re-read it before posting again!

6. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Intriguing JediRangerSaria.. especially the when. :D :D

I would suggest you check out FanFic FAQ's. It has the the guidelines Shaindl referred to. :) :)

7. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    Intriguing! Crossovers are always interesting.

So far, I'd say you're okay on torture, but definitely be careful. I usually PM iffy scenes to Leona, she's pretty good about getting back to me quickly.

8. JediRangerSaria

Jun 9, 2005
    I don't think I'll have time to update for another few days, so I'll post two chapters this time :) (not like you're complaining...)

And I promise to watch with the rating (what I've written so far, besides the prologue is pretty tame...if there's a risky chapter, I'll just post a link)

So...here it is!

Chapter One

Isil rose high and full over the great city of Valmar. Its silver rays illuminated the dwellings of the elves that live there, causing them to seem to glow from within. Yavien stood on a balcony high above the city, watching the homes glimmer on land as brilliantly as the stars above it. The Jedi Temple on Valinor was tall, elegant, and yet far more organic than its counterpart on Coruscant, the central system of the Galactic Republic. One who did not know any better would see the structure and assume it an enormous tree that grew from the center of the city, but on closer inspection would pick out the doors and balconies, large windows on the east and west faces, fences and of course, security.

Security was rarely an issue on Valinor, being a peaceful planet by nature. There would be the occasional petty differences between the separate tribes - Noldor, Sindar, Vanyar and Teleri, but nothing terribly serious. Security was mainly for fear of any Outlanders who visited Valinor, though this rarely happened. Most came from the Jedi Temple on Coruscant, and had never been a problem. The elves have come to dislike visitors, and kept very much to themselves throughout the years, which is why they repeatedly declined invitations to join the Republic. Many believed that this was the will of the ?Valar? that the elves ?worship?, though this belief stemmed from whispered rumors, for none have ever seen these fabled beings to confirm them.

She felt a presence approach from behind her and smiled. She did not turn as he neared, but brushed his mind in greeting. The other elf came to stand behind her and folded his arms, gazing also at the stars in silence for several minutes before speaking.
    ?The Council has convened,? he said softly, ?they wait for you.? Reluctantly she tore her eyes from the sky to look at the golden haired elf at her side.

?Can they not have one session without me?? she sighed in mock exasperation. He smiled at her.
    ?Come, Yavien, you know how they rely on your wisdom,? he replied lightly. ?Isil will still be here when we are finished.? She smiled also, took one last look at the sky and followed him back into the building.

?We lost contact with them several days ago,? Xaven continues as he addressed the council. ?As this is not at all unusual for Rangers under deep cover we did not see cause for alarm, however-? he stopped in mid sentence, his last syllable echoing in the domed chamber.

?After yesterday?s ?disturbance?, you became worried,? Tiren finished for him. Yavien looked to the elf beside her as he spoke. They had all felt it ? a great spike of agony rippling through the force. It had greatly unsettled the council, and they had been in near constant contact with the Jedi on Coruscant attempting to find the source. They had all agreed very quickly that such a powerful disturbance could only have come from a Jedi.

?Yes, my lord,? Xaven finished, bowing slightly in acknowledgment. The Council members exchanged looks among themselves. No one had ever sent a rescue mission to find a Ranger, they had never needed to before. The White Rangers of Valinor are so well trained there was a near perfect success rate in their missions.

?You are aware this has never been done, Xaven,? Yavien spoke. The elf nodded. ?And you are also aware how difficult it is to track one of our Rangers once they are deployed. They could be anywhere.? She paused and her voice softened so that all eyes were on her. ?From the strength of the disturbance yesterday, they could even be dead.?

?I understand, mistress,? Xaven answered, sounding desperate, ?but you must help them. I know it was my son I felt, he is in danger!? He watched the council members in near desperation, hopi

9. JediRangerSaria

Jun 9, 2005
    Chapter Three

??So of course you understand the sensitivity of this matter, Heru Saria,? Valdir?s pre-recorded holo-image explained. Saria shifted uncomfortably on her cushion as she listened, suddenly glad the message had been sealed for her eyes only. ?We will be awaiting your report with great anticipation,? he went on. ?Of course, if you wish to decline the mission, another will be sent in your place.?

?Not likely,? she muttered, starting when she saw an almost smirk on the holo-elf?s lips, as if he?d expected such a remark. As soon as it fluttered by however, it was gone, replaced with his former seriousness.
    ?There is also the matter of your young Padewan, Tatl,? he continued. ?As always, she should be made aware of the danger you both face with this new mission ? doubly so because of its uniqueness.? Saria bit her bottom lip as she though of the girl. She truly loved her as if she were her own daughter, and of course worried for her in the same manner.

She thought fondly of her own master, very much like a mother to her ? she had fussed over her as she now did for Tatl. Clearly, she remembered her frustration and even outright annoyance at the treatment. Would Tatl feel no less if she were to treat her the same way? No ? she remembered the sage words of Master Yavien when Tatl was first given into her care: ?Treat them as adults and they will act as adults. Trust in her abilities and you will learn as much from her as she from you.?

??if we do not hear from you, we will assume your acceptance of the mission. May the Force Be With You.? The image of Valdir winked out after he finished his message. She sat for a long time, contemplating ? her assignment, her duty, and most of all what she would tell her Padewan. She couldn?t ask this of her, being so young, and yet ?

Before she could think any more of it, she stood and exited out into the main room where Tatl sat meditating. She immediately looked up, sensing her Master?s presence and sitting back in her chair respectfully. Saria sat beside her.

?I?ve received a message from home,? she began. Unconsciously her hands began toying nervously with the cuff of her robe. ?We ? I ? have been given a new mission.? Tatl nodded for her to continue. ?A dangerous mission,? Saria added, ?One that, if accepted, we may never return from.? Tatl watched her master carefully, wondering in her heart what could be so terrible that it caused the fear she saw in her master?s eyes. At the same time she knew that she would follow her anywhere- even if that meant to death.

?Master, if I may speak,? she said softly. ?From the moment of my birth, you had bound yourself to me, and I to you. Whatever trial is before us, we will face it together, for my place is at your side, Heru nin.? She paused, placing her hand upon her Master?s. ?Mellon nin.?
    Saria allowed her heart to warm for that brief moment of love shared between them ? Master and Apprentice, sisters in arms. But then she began to speak of their mission, and watched the warmth bleed away from her adopted daughter?s face.

?Valar protect us,? Tatl breathed when she finished. Saria placed her other hand over her Padewan?s and squeezed gently.
    ?I will understand if you do not now wish to- ?
    ?I will follow,? Tatl interrupted suddenly. She caught her Master?s eyes and held them firmly. In that moment, she seemed the most grown-up to Saria than she ever had. She swallowed thickly as her apprentice repeated: ?I will follow.?

There is one hallway in the Jedi Temple that is different from all the others. Visually, it seems very much the same as any other Padewans and teachers walk down every day going about their usual activities ? bright and airy, a perfect blending of art and functionality that leaves the viewer with an inexplicable sense of inner tranquility. Its high curving ceilings dome over the smooth marble floors, leading up to an intricate yet simply designed door, embraced on either side by two trees whose branches reached up to the ceiling and roots dug i

10. JediRangerSaria

Jun 9, 2005
    Chapter Four

Giinkar hung in space, a deep blue ball peppered with staccato islands across the surface of the globe. The sleek Jedi Starfighter jumped out of hyperspace near the oceanic world, slicing through the atmosphere as it prepared to descend towards the capital island Tenaax.

?Jedi Starfighter Ivrin to Tenaax Flight Control requesting permission to land,? Saria announced through the transceiver. ?Tenaax Flight Control, please respond!?
    ?Why do they not answer?? Tatl asked calmly. Saria shook her head and concentrated on the island below.
    ?I don?t know?I?m sensing?fear, and malevolence on the island below.?

?I guess that means we are not welcome,? Tatl responded with a twinkle in her eye. Saria was about to respond in kind when the proximity alert began chiming impatiently. ?Master!? Tatl shouted, ?We are being fired on!? Saria whirled to check her screen just in time to see two missiles streaking through the stratosphere towards the small ship. Without even thinking, she yanked them out of the way and the two self-guided weapons collided together in the sky, mere meters from the right wing.
    They barely had time to catch their breath when two more were launched from the planet below. Several panels chimed warnings at them as Saria piloted them on twisting loops to try to confuse the weapons? guidance systems, but the next two were not that easy to shake off.

?These ones are smarter,? Tatl observed, ?It?s as if they are learning your maneuvers.?
    ?Giinkar does specialize in weaponry,? Saria groaned as she banked them in another impossible turn. Tatl felt her stomach lurch within her as the G-forces pinned her to her seat and made the roof of the cockpit closely resemble the floor. ?Hang on, Tatl,? Saria assured her, ?we?re getting out of here.? Aiming out of the atmosphere into open space, she was about to bring up the hyperdrive for a short jump when suddenly the entire ship jolted violently, causing them to be tossed around like limp dolls.
    ?We?re hit, Master!? Tatl exclaimed. The young girl, despite all her training, sounded positively terrified. As the ship began to nose-dive, Saria did everything she could to level out the decent, so that at least it would be a controlled crash.

?Tatl,? she struggled to keep her voice calm and even. ?We are going to hit the water.? As she said this, she unbuckled her safety belt, motioning for her to do the same. ?When we come within a hundred meters of the surface I will open the hatch, and we will dive as far away from the ship as we can.? Tatl nodded shakily and swallowed. She quickly began to stuff her utility pouch with emergency rations, and seeing this, Tatl followed suit. The window showed the rapid progression of their decent, and before she knew it, the hatch was blown, and almost in slow motion, both she and her Padewan were diving into an alien ocean, with no sign of land in sight.

Several seconds later, she hit the water, rebreather clamped firmly between her teeth, and eyes shut tightly against the salt water. Dully, she felt the ship crash into the water somewhere behind her, close enough to be felt, but far enough away to be a safe distance. She reached out desperately for any sign in the force of her Padewan, but felt nothing.

There was a long, frightening moment when her disorientation skewed her sense of direction, and words like ?up? or ?down? were meaningless. Fortunately for the rebreather, she didn?t have the peril of running out of oxygen. She calmly waited, floating under the waves in an inexplicable calmness, until her brain caught up with her, and her senses finally told her where the surface of the ocean was. Several minutes later, she broke the surface, ripping the rebreather out of her mouth and stuffing it into her utility pouch.
    ?Tatl!? she cried out as loud as she could, even calling on the force to project her voice further than it would have. ?Tatl!!? Behind her, the last piece of ship gurgled the release of its final air bubbles and sank into the depths. The momentary distraction was enough to calm

11. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    I've seen several SW/LOTR crossovers adn I've never seen one knit together quite like this! Very intriguing!

12. JediRangerSaria

Jun 9, 2005
    Sorry it's been so long since I updated...lots of stuff going on (creating a new website!*waggles eyebrows*) Anyway, hope you like!

Chapter Five

She didn?t know how long she?d been swimming, but she knew that she?d seen at least six sun rises and that she?ll only have enough rations for another two ? three at most. That, and she had lost her Padewan.

?Tatl??

But lingering on grief would not bring her back, instead putting her in far more jeopardy than she already was.

So she swam.

She swam without any hope of ever reaching anywhere, but she swam nonetheless. Occasionally she would see a transport fly overhead, reminding her that at least the planet is inhabited. It was a small comfort, knowing that it was the natives who had shot her down.

When she wasn?t swimming she was meditating; floating and letting her mind drift, a state providing rest, but also awareness, so that she would not sink or turn as she slept. Just ? calm. In the mornings her eyes found clarity, and she felt energized to begin anew, but not at all rested.

Days later, she had run out of rations, her energy was low, and the constant headaches were worse than the hunger. Finally, unconscious and weak, she washed up onto a sandy shore, water lapping around her body in soothing rhythms. For many hours more she lay there, drifting fitfully in and out of fevered dreams. When the moon rose overhead and she opened her salt raw eyes, she was a figure leaning over her, shadowed by the light of the stars.

?Tatl?? she croaked. The figure touched a hand to her forehead in apparent concern. It spoke to her, but her sleep-muddled mind would not let her decipher the words. A Giinkar, she surmised.

Soon another figure joined the first. The way they touched and spoke to each other led her to believe they were a married pair.

She was lifted up and carried somewhere. After that, she remembered nothing.

?Jedi.?

Through the painful haze that had become her brain, she croaked out a moan.

?JEDI!? the Voice was more insistent. ?Can you hear me??

She tried to open her eyes, but they were blindfolded.

She tried to move her arms, but they were bound behind her back.

?Where am I?? she managed., The Voice didn?t answer, but it spoke softly to another in the room.

?She?ll do; prepare the serum.?

Serum?

?Who?s there?? she demanded with all the authority one who was bound and blindfolded could muster. But the Voice didn?t answer.

?And what of the second pilot, m?lord??

?Don?t worry, we?ll find her ? eventually.?

Alone, in the dark. Bound, disarmed and separated from her Master, Tatl awaited her fate.

13. jdavidchadwick

jdavidchadwick Jedi Youngling star 1

May 22, 2005
    Wow, this is actually pretty good. Keep it up, yo!

14. skywalker64089

skywalker64089 Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 16, 2005
    This is the first time I have ever ventured into Before The Saga. Very nice. Eager to see some more.

S.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.