main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Whither Coruscant?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by LottDodd, Oct 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LottDodd

LottDodd Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2002
    How will Courascant play in the Sequel Trilogy? Arguably the most iconic planet of the Prequels and skipped (almost) completely in the OT, it seems a logical location for the new movies. Will we return to "Classic Locations" such as the Senate or the Jedi Temple? Perhaps even The Chancellor's Office? How has the Imperial Era and 50 plus years since Revenge of the Sith changed the skyline?

How prominent a role should Courascant play? It would be strange if it were not at least addressed, but the planet may not have as prominent a role in this trilogy as the last.... then again, it is always possible that politics are even more at the forefront here.

Finally, Courascant is an all digital environment, this has never bothered me as I believe it has been marvelously executed, and is always my favorite location in the Prequels... But some people seek to distance this Trilogy from that one (I believe that would be a huge mistake, they are all one piece), and it is a world that can only be created in a mostly blue screen environment, does this go against anyone's ideas to make Star Wars feel "More Real"?

KenW likes this.
  2. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    Personally, I love Coruscant. Love it! It's a bustling planet-tropolis with many potentials for adventure and intrigue. I think it was hardly scratched in the PT and would love to see it in the ST as well as the spinoffs; presuming that the spinoffs are about Boba Fett and Han Solo. (The underworld would play largely in those films.)

As for the Jedi temple. I think it will have been raized. I don't think Luke and his NJO would ever want to memorialize the darkest center of the Dark Side of the Force.

I'm all for seeing it more.

Rou-eru, mratm23, Darkslayer and 2 others like this.
  3. Bullhead CIty

Bullhead CIty Jedi Master star 3

Dec 1, 2012
    I think the new enemy should blow it up. And I'm being serious too.

4. Buddha Fett

Buddha Fett Force Ghost star 4

Dec 18, 1999
    Agreed.

5. Beezer

Beezer Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2013
    I predict a return to the Jedi Temple (which I think should not have been added to the Blu-ray because I doubt Sidious would have allowed it to remain standing) and a new Galactic Senate.

6. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I really hope we get to see the Senate again and to see the Chancellor's office would be a bonus. I'm really interested in seeing how the Senate functions now and if there are any noticeable differences from the way it's run in the PT (I hope so.) One of the things I'm excited to see explored is how do you put the pieces of democracy back together after a decades long dictatorship. How do you reform the government to make sure nothing like that ever happens again? While I don't want the Empire to be an actual threat in these films I do want the memory of it to still be quite potent and felt.

And there's still so much of Coruscant to be explored so I would love some new areas to appear in the films. I love the idea of going into the underworld and exploring some of the more seedy areas of the planet. But however it appears just give me more Coruscant!

7. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Along with Tatooine, Coruscant is one of the only previously-seen planets I either expect or want to see in the ST.

(Do we already have a thread for this somewhere?)

8. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Coruscant better appear. I absolutely love politics and I think that the OT suffers from their absence.

9. SuperPersch

SuperPersch Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2004
    I must have it. I must.[​IMG]

Spam Bot, Darkslayer, lbr789 and 9 others like this.
  10. Echo-07

Nov 9, 2012
  11. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    Coruscant is pretty cool, and I want it to appear mainly for one reason in the ST. For some odd reason, it escaped The Clone Wars without any damage. I don't think a single Separatist laser touched Coruscant. I thought that was a huge reason why the war never really created any tension or seemed that important. The main world our heroes and Jedi are living on is almost totally safe.

So yes, but blow it to pieces.

12. Echo-07

Nov 9, 2012
    It wasn't touched becauase of Palpatine. Of course it was never in danger.

13. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    Uh, where in the movie do we see Palpatine caring about Coruscant and ordering its safety? He attacked his own planet, Naboo, so why not Coruscant?

It's not like he would be in danger. He could be off planet or the attack could be somewhere far away from wherever he was at. We all know Sidious could do it, so why think he loves the place and wants to protect it?

And there are other effects of the war that we never see: wars cost a lot of money and we see no ill-effect economy wise on Coruscant. We don't see anyone struggling, just like we didn't see anyone struggling on Naboo, except for a few leaders and pilots.

Huge oversight, imo. And I hope it will be corrected in the ST.

14. BarkingFrog

BarkingFrog Jedi Master star 2

Jan 4, 2009
    Palpatine: "I don't Sith where I eat."

15. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    Naboo.

EDIT: Even at the end of ROTJ, we don't see that any of the wars have affected Coruscant at all.

16. Echo-07

Nov 9, 2012
    It's pretty obvious you wouldn't ask for a war to be held where you live. The closest he wanted to get to the "action" was that staged kidnapping. Then after he seized power Coruscant became his gem -- his seat of total domination.

Absolutely no reason for Coruscant to have been touched. None.

Obtw -- was Palpatine on Naboo when the invasion occurred? No. Because he wanted the leader destroyed so he could take over, but some meddling Jedi intervened.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  17. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    Well, we'll have to agree to disagree.

There are plenty of great reasons to have Coruscant attacked:

1) It makes Palpatine look completely innocent of his machinations. It even makes him seem one of the "people."
    2) It woudn't have to be a "war" but a series of well-planned attacks, and obviously Palpatine would be quite safe (you know that Hitler attacked the Reichstag Building and Nero burned Rome, right? -- so this has plenty of precedent in our own history)
    3) Kidnapping: this pretty much undoes your entire argument. If Palpatine was worried about himself in any way, why does he allow himself to be right in the middle of the conflict between the Jedi, Dooku, and Grievous? In fact, he almost kills himself (intentionally?) in that crash landing on Coruscant. Ordering a series of attacks on the planet as I'm saying would be much safer than what he actually did.
    4) Coruscant is a huge planet. An attack on it would in no way endanger Palps.
    5) You don't explain why no economic effects are shown.

Edit: 6) An attack on Coruscant makes obvious sense because it's the headquarters of the Jedi.

18. Lazy Storm Trooper

Lazy Storm Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Sep 18, 2012
    I would like to see Coruscant along with Tatooine and Bespin.

Echo-07 likes this.
  19. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    Didn't Lucas say the Senate will return in Ep.7 on the ROTS DVD commentary?

20. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    Do you mean "didn't Lucas say the Senate would return post-ROTJ on some commentary?" Because otherwise, I'm giving you the skeptical eyebrow. o_O

21. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    I suppose without exact quote, skeptical eyebrows are appropriate... I'll need to listen to it again for the exact quote..... one of these days....

LawJedi likes this.
  22. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    Well we know Coruscant was at the heart of the Republic and the Empire. We know that at the end of ROTJ it looked pretty much like it did in the prequels. Therefore we can assume that it was unscathed by the Clone Wars as well as the Civil wars.

I think Coruscant was a brilliantly realised setting (one of the best locales in all the films)... however, like Tatooine, i thought it was a little bit overused. Still, it will be very interesting to see Luke, Leia and Han in the same Coruscant settings as young Anakin, Obi-Wan, Yoda and Palps... and will certainly help bring a unity to all 9 films.

23. danmcken

danmcken Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 7, 2003
    I think the Courascant should be in a state of decay , im sure the intial joy and celebration we saw at the end of rotj would have soon turned to anger and civil disobedience would have become widespread.Millions on Courascant employed by the Empire were suddenly unemployed with no way of supporting themselves or their famlies. Within weeks food would have become scarce, without the Empire, trade routes throughout the galaxy would have become vulnerable to pirates and any others out to take advantage of the situation.Courascant would most likely take decades to recover and for the Republic to get a grip on the situation in the Galaxy. I imagine that by the start of episode VII Courascant may be like a lot of former eastern block states in that their is huge corruption problems and vast swathes of the planet are controlled by the criminal underworld.

24. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    There's an old quote somewhere where Lucas is saying that there won't be a ST because everything is wrapped up after ROTJ, with the Republic being reestablished as one of the things he mentions. It gets cited a lot when discussing his attitude towards the EU, but I can't remember the details, and it may no longer apply now that the ST is being made after all.

Other than that, I can't think of any quote like the one mentioned.

Miras-Etrin and LawJedi like this.
  25. Visivious Drakarn

Visivious Drakarn Jedi Master star 3

Apr 20, 2013
    During the course of the prequels we got to see more and more of Coruscant. From the politician's building and the senate in TPM through the chancellor's office, Padme's appartement, that fantastic speeder chase and that bar in AOTC to theatre in ROTS along with brilliant helicopter panoramic shots, Coruscant became more and more amazing. I think it's inevitable, Coruscant will feature greatly in the sequels, as the headquarters of the Jedi and the Republic, but I do hope they'll continue to push the visuals, that they'll try to amaze us with each shot, try to show us something new. End shots of ROTJ showed us that the senate and the Jedi temple remained the same, so bring us new locations. Like... Military buildings, museums, ZOO ([face_batting])... Or, possibly, just to be different, more rain or foggy weather.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.