main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Whither Coruscant?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by LottDodd, Oct 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TurboPGT

TurboPGT Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 15, 2015
    Coruscant is a deal breaker for me in the ST.
    It is the most significant planet in the galaxy, and its not just the E.U. that cemented that into canon. Whoever holds Coruscant, holds governance over the galaxy. Its as symbolic as it is practical...its at the center of the galaxy with a population in the trillions.
    In my opinion, no matter what story they've drummed up for the ST...30 years after ROTJ, someone is sitting in a position of power on Coruscant. Maybe its not the "good guys", but someone is sitting there.
    They have to acknowledge and feature Coruscant in the ST. If in fact JJ didn't find it important enough to feature in EP VII, I find that extremely arrogant and just wrong. I am slowly warming to "new" story he wants to tell, but there are certain things that need to be featured for me to take JJ seriously as someone who understands Star Wars enough to be doing this job.

2. All_Powerful_Jedi

All_Powerful_Jedi Force Ghost star 4

Sep 12, 2003
    While I agree that an acknowledgement of Coruscant would serve the story as was the galactic capitol for 6 previous movies, the current rumored galactic timeline makes sense to me. The Imperial leadership there is so entranced that constant in-fighting keeps it under control, but also still out of Republic control. The Empire is gone, so Coruscant winds up being more autonomous than allied with the First Order/Resistance and is no longer considered the galactic capitol because the only control the leadership has there is over the planet itself.

Remember, Palpatine dissolved the Galactic Senate permanently in Episode IV. So, with no Emperor residing there and no Senate, and with a defeated Imperial Army taking further beatings from the Rebellion/Republic, whoever controls Coruscant doesn't necessarily control the Galaxy. The New Republic is more than happy to set up camp elsewhere while the Empire is pushed further behind battle lines.

The overall vibe of the galactic climate post-ROTJ seems to be "uncertain" with the Empire having fallen from its position of power and what was once known as the Rebellion continuing the fight to re-establish democracy of some kind. There's likely no centralized planet that's the seat of power in TFA.

3. Gorkom

Gorkom Jedi Knight

Aug 15, 2014

The OT is a space opera, that's why. Totally different from what was going down in the prequels, and why the OT comes off as being more like old school classic sci fi. By omitting real world BS it allows for a better form of escapism into the Star Wars world.

I wouldn't mind seeing it being referenced by name, but the new movie is part of the OT moving forward and we don't need 4 movies in a row now with Coruscant in it.

4. Hanyou

Hanyou Jedi Master star 1

Oct 1, 2005

What makes you so certain that the direction of this story will even justify an appearance by that planet? And how on earth can you claim that not showing it in episode seven is arrogant when we've had three consecutive well-loved Star Wars movies that didn't even mention Coruscant?

This is a sequel to Return of the Jedi, not Revenge of the Sith. While I wouldn't mind seeing Coruscant again, I hope we spend more time on new worlds. And, since there are a plenty of reasons I can think of why the planet need not appear, I don't understand the prevalence of this attitude. We don't know what direction this story will take, and fans are already imposing such arbitrary standards as "we must see this planet?"

5. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    I think Coruscant will be referenced in TFA....at least by an extra or a pilot, kind of a stray reference like we hear about different planets in conversation that we never see, or else maybe by Leia or one of her aides.

6. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    No.
    If it's not in the story being told, it can be comfortably ignored.
    This isn't a documentary. It isn't a history lesson. It's just a story to be told in an entertaining manner. There are no boxes to be ticked. No "You must haves".

It's obvious this first movie at least starts out off in the crappy parts of the Galaxy. Deserts, desolate tundra. The places no one cares about.
    It may move towards Civilization eventually, but it doesn't have to.

All_Powerful_Jedi likes this.
  7. GregMcP

Jul 7, 2015
    Oh, and the absence of Politics... for starters look at the speculation about the First Order. That's serious, currently relevant politics right there. That's stuff that could be applied to the Middle East Radicals, the Amercian Militia crowd, the rise of Nazism... It will be interesting to see how the Resistance is portrayed.

Obill-Wan Cuppobi likes this.
  8. TurboPGT

TurboPGT Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 15, 2015

That story that didn't need to go near Coruscant was building up characters from isolation, > into the heat of things. The Empire is who held Coruscant at the time, and they were only featured through the leads' eyes..for the most part.

While that has a cool, ominous feel about it, I don't think trying to recapture that feeling is the right idea. I think the story we're seeing unfold desperately tries to recapture that "small people in a big galaxy" vibe, where it doesn't belong. I'm not saying it will be bad, I just don't think it makes sense. I don't buy the "30 years later nothing all that significant has happened and the state of Coruscant is too uninteresting to feature."

Baron_Papanerd likes this.
  9. GregMcP

Jul 7, 2015
    It's a common story arc to start out in "nowhere" and follow your characters into the world, the viewer discovering along with the hero(ine).

By Episode 9 Coruscant may be important and central, but we aren't starting there.

10. redlightning

redlightning Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 1, 2014
    What if Coruscant was utterly destroyed during a battle between the Republic and the Empire? It is left in ruins.

Darth Caliban and Force Smuggler like this.
  11. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Ubraniff Zalkaz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2014
    I wonder if Snoke and Kylo Ren are interested in getting into the Sith shrine below the old Jedi Temple?

12. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014
    I certainly don;t see a need for Coruscant in the ST, if it's not part of the story. But I think it WOULD be cool to see something therein some other story. Maybe a Rebel cell on Coruscant during the OT period (spy action), or just after ROTJ (guerilla tactics agsint the Empire!). Could be fun.

Darth Caliban likes this.
  13. redlightning

Feb 1, 2014
    What if the Empire razed Coruscant to the ground as it started to lose control to the Rebellion? It would be like Paris after D-Day.

Darth Caliban likes this.
  14. Biel Ductavis

Biel Ductavis Jedi Master star 4

Aug 17, 2015
    Very probable! Could imagine the mention of something like that in the opening crawl or the dialogue in TFA.

Would also explain why the New Republic seems to be founded on a another planet/system.

15. ColdLazarou

ColdLazarou Jedi Grand Master star 2

Sep 8, 2001
    I want to see it in Episode IX, but renamed Had Abaddon and looking all post-industrial and Blade Runner-esque.

16. Biel Ductavis

Aug 17, 2015
    That would be really great!

17. LottDodd

LottDodd Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2002
    If we don't see Coruscant, it almost needs to be mentioned in the crawl...

Darkslayer likes this.
  18. redlightning

Feb 1, 2014
    I'm thinking that the New Republic will have a provisional capital somewhere else. Coruscant will take decades to recover and rebuild. At the end of the ST, I do expect Luke to be able to walk into the old Jedi temple and reestablish the order there officially though. He can take the seat where Yoda once sat.

Darkslayer likes this.
  19. RC-2473

RC-2473 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 14, 2015

this could be cool.

Darkslayer likes this.
  20. kip73

kip73 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 30, 2003
    Politics were a part of the OT, they were just in the background (where they should be in Star Wars).

I don't want to see more derp politicians like we did in the PT. I mean the Galactic Senate had like 2-3 decent senators that cared about the lives of the people they represent (Bail Organa, Padme, in particular) whereas morons like the Trade Federation were far more common.

When Tarkin "dissolved" the Senate around the time of Episode IV, I certainly didn't shed a tear lol

From what I understand, the new ST will be more about the grey areas that exist, and how right and wrong might be a matter of perception that not everyone agrees on. I think I read that somewhere actually, but I'm too lazy to check.

But in seriousness, we don't need to have everything spelled out for us, as far as the grand scheme of things go. Make it more human and personal, and give us good characters that we can relate to. That's a big part of the magic that is Star Wars, in my opinion.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  21. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    So... they did a good job of presenting it as our current real world political state, then.

Ho!!!!!!!!!!!!!! In yo face, Washington DC!!! I'll be here all week.

22. RC-2473

RC-2473 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 14, 2015

yeah. I kind of wish they played on this more tbh. like this gleaming, collectively 'egotistical' republic lets its shortcomings become it's downfall. like I think a great opening shot for tpm would have been a reverse of anh. this huge, shiny, republic ship meeting with a comparatively tiny and rough looking seperatist vessel in orbit over naboo.

not a pt thread though!!! I still hope that if coruscant appears it should only be for the last scene of IX, and it'd largely be ruins except for a few newly reconstructed buildings symbolising everything that has happened as well as the galaxy going forward.

23. vw_jedi

vw_jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 18, 2002
    Tarkin didn't dissolve the Senate. The Emperor did.

"The Imperial Senate will no longer be of any concern to us. I have just received word that the Emperor has dissolved the council permanently. The last remnants of the Old Republic have been swept away."

24. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    why?

25. Biel Ductavis

Aug 17, 2015
    I'm convinced by now that it doesn't look like it has in the prequels or the SE anymore, when (or better said if) we see it in the ST...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.