main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Whither Coruscant?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by LottDodd, Oct 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    the pt was coruscant-centric, the ot only has a brief glimpse, the st probably won't have it at all. it's no longer the center of the galaxy.

Dra--- and InterestingLurker like this.
  2. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Because of its significance to the previous movies.

3. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    if you read my post above it isn't significant anymore. aftermath seems to prove this.

Dra--- likes this.
  4. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    It's not even out yet. Don't spoil me please we can get back to this after I read the book :D

thejeditraitor likes this.
  5. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    Seems like it will be like Berlin during the Weimar and Bonn periods in Germany.

DarkGingerJedi likes this.
  6. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    It would be great to see a post-war Coruscant. I mean...I kinda wish it showed more of the effects of war in the PT, especially towards the end (like rationing, people leaving en mass, propaganda, economy shutting down) ...but I get it; the war was far away, the front line is like other side of the Galaxy. The ST could show us continual glimpses of a democracy trying to take hold and decades of Imperial hardships.

Could be cool.

7. TurboPGT

TurboPGT Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 15, 2015
    I can't even begin to wrap my head around this statement. Nothing changes the fact that this is still a planet of trillions, located at the center of the galaxy. It poses a strategic significance that cannot be just be "written out" because Disney says so.

8. Hanyou

Hanyou Jedi Master star 1

Oct 1, 2005
    The prior three stories, in terms of chronology, didn't need Coruscant. Why should TFA?

9. YTMND

YTMND Jedi Master star 5

Nov 22, 2004
    Since the new capitol is allegedly on Chandrila, it seems less likely we will see it, or much of it.

10. DarkGingerJedi

Nov 21, 2012

I would say as a bookend arrangement. We started off seeing this glistening city planet, at the beginning. It would be nice to at least get a good glimpse of it now (or maybe in EP 9).

11. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    If we don't see it, it would really just reek of Prequel distancing (ugh). There is no justification for not showing a planet that featured so prominently in 3 of the 6 films. And before someone says: "sure there is, it doesn't have an important role." Well my response to that is it should have an important role, no ifs ands or buts.

This is of course just my opinion, but I think it's right. :p

12. ender2k

ender2k Jedi Master star 1

Sep 22, 2004
    I could see power struggles on Coruscant in the wake of the Empire's fall removing it from being a major player on the galactic scene, as well as it descending so far into ruin, division, and chaos that it's no longer worth the resources for any of our major factions to try to restore order there. That would make it a cool setting for bounty hunters, crime lords, rogue Force users, smugglers, and so on in anthology works.

Darth Caliban likes this.
  13. DarkGingerJedi

Nov 21, 2012

Yup.

And to expand on this. To a further extent, Coruscant basically evolves into the Death Star. In the PT we have this completely lifeless planet, completely covered and overtaken by civilization. There's no natural life about it. Pretty symbolic too. Then we're presented with a smaller moon sized techno planet, which was completely constructed, is even more devoid of natural life. And it's primary mission is to move around and destroy other planets. Coruscant is literally just grows into what is the Death Star.

We should see the next evolution of this in the ST. If that's on some other planet (good guys or bad) or not, I think we need to at least see what happened to the old world. It's a "look how far we've come" moment.

14. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    A completely ruined Coruscant would be fun imo.
    Or it gets magically rebuilt when it should have taken decades to recover.

15. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    This. People complained that the old EU was too much of the same. Well, this is our chance to make the Star Wars universe less stagnant. Let's take the best form the old EU while taking the opportunity to make the canonverse as dynamic as possible.

Darth Caliban likes this.
  16. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Thank you...couldn't have said it better myself. Let's hope the next screenplay writers don't fall into the same trap as JJ and Kasdan, where they're trying to stay away from the Prequels as much as possible just so they can appease the people who despise everything that's in it.

17. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Coruscant was ruined after the NJO but was practically completely fixed up by LOTF. DNT was a nice middle ground but would have liked to see more of that. Heck, seeing that on the big screen would have been awesome imo.

18. TurboPGT

Jul 15, 2015

I concur.
    Coruscant was the best part of the prequels. Don't be afraid of it.

I still have a tiny hope that they use the concept of the Vong invasion on the galaxy for Episodes X, XI, XII. I think that would make for a great trilogy after this new one ends. It makes so much sense. The sequel trilogy is already desperately clinging to straws with its story arc, running the risk of repeating too much of the old arcs. The thing that was great about the NJO series (that will also be needed for future films) is that it broke away from the stale Jedi vs. Sith, Rebel vs. Empire mantra and introduce a new, seemingly unbeatable foe, that forced an apocalyptic scenario on the traditional star wars galaxy.

Seeing Coruscant Vong-formed on screen would be a treat.

19. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001
    I don't know how Coruscant would be ruined though. Commerce, in theory should not be stopping at a centrally located planet with so many institutions. The planet has proven itself capable of surviving giant space battles. Since Chandrila is the New Republic capitol, I see no reason for the Starkiller weapon to target it.

Though Chandrila as a capitol does make sense for a New Republic. It's still centrally located and without the stink of Coruscant. That said, I am hoping for a scene in Episode VIII where Chancellor Calrissian, Mon Mothma, and a bunch of senior officials gets cut down by Kylo Ren.

20. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    An enemy that was not afraid of death or pain and wanted to sacrifice you to their gods. So nice not having a Sith villain. The fall of Coruscant and Liberation of Coruscant from SBS and TUF were amazing to read. Going to be hard to do it justice.

21. TurboPGT

Jul 15, 2015
    It really was a such a good series. It truly made you wonder how they were ever going to overcome it, and there were things that happened that you just knew could never be undone...there was no going back from. Really, truly, the best series of novels and best story I've ever read.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  22. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    I knew the Good Guys were going to win, but I wasn't sure how it was going to happen. Best thing in SW imo. Just as much SW as the movies are imo. If not more in some cases.
    So many awesome moments.
    I would love to see some moments on the big screen but some of those probably shouldn't be seen.
    Some of the moments probably wouldn't be as good as in mind but it should be a fun ride.
    The death in Vector Prime hurt like heck, but the Agents of Chaos duology made it worth.
    Edge of Victory-Anakin was great fun.
    Star By Star-Episode 5 to the max.
    Enemy Lines duology- So much fun.
    Traitor-Enough said.
    Destiny's Way-Ackbar is back.
    The Unifying Force-The way SW should end.

TurboPGT likes this.
  23. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    it's no longer the capitol and no longer important (i believe). it has nothing to do with the pt being liked or not. if it was up to the fans every movie would have the same planets, the same characters, etc.

i don't need to see coruscant again. i want something new.

TooMuchBBQ and B99 like this.
  24. DanMG

DanMG Jedi Youngling

Dec 2, 2015
    Anyone else that thinks it would be epic if Coruscant at least got mentioned in TFA? I mean Leia could say something like
    Regardless what we think about the PT Coruscant is already established as the most important planet in the SW universe so i think it should at least be mentioned.

I would argue that a space battle where the resistance fight the first order over the control of Coruscant should happen in episode 9, thus showing us how the new Republic finally takes back control over the core planet, 60 years after losing control over it.

MagnaZero and Zikri like this.
  25. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    Yeah, don't see a need to go back to Coruscant . Leave that to a PT Anthology! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.