main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Whither Coruscant?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by LottDodd, Oct 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    "He could even stop planets from not being cloned properly."

Dra--- and purplerain like this.
  2. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Nevermind

Darkslayer likes this.
  3. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    I think Lucas was giving some nods to political situations leading to tyranny in earth's history (e.g. Germany was a Democracy before Hitler rose up and seized power), and how you always have to be on guard for tyranny, and are always vulnerable to it without vigilance.

As far as the OP, I want to see really wild, far out planets that have never been used in SW before as the emphasis, along with a moderate amount of Coruscant, and little or (better yet) no Tattooine.

This is one of the things that they can do in an amazing way these days, use CGI, models, etc. to create really awesome cities and landscapes for sci-fi planets. I want them to maximize that in the ST. Coruscant was really a cool city, especially with the look during the Rumination scene, but it is time to move on to something new. Tattooine needs to go away, that was another Dune planet (also something similar to planets in other Frank Herbert stories like The Dosadi Experiment, survival-type desert planet), we have had enough of that, thank you.

4. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    You can't avoid something that's important to the plot just because it's "old".

Andy Wylde and Immortiss like this.
  5. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    I avoid old people and they eventually go away, therefore, it's perfectly fine to avoid old things.

No it's not, it's very depressing to be old and ignored. Don't do it.

Skywalker Thing and Dra--- like this.
  6. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    It may or may not be important, since we don't know the new plot yet. It may have gotten destroyed by the Empire.

Regardless, we don't have to run it into the ground. It can be in the movie, but still give way to the new. Music needs melody, you don't go striking the same E chord over and over, that would sound crappy. They need to mix it up.

Dra--- likes this.
  7. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    But you just hit on it. These films are designed like musical motifs so while you do need to hit different notes you also have to keep coming back to familiar themes, albeit typically with different instrumentation.

8. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    True, but I think we need some entirely new compositions for the ST.

The story of the PT was largely based out of Coruscant, I don't think the PT should repeat that. It would be cool if it was in ruins after the Empire, and they go back to get into the library or something to that effect. Or maybe it gets destroyed like in The Old Republic trailer (I think that is Coruscant, maybe not). I don't want them meeting in that same room in the Jedi temple throughout the ST, that would be stale.

Immortiss and Dra--- like this.
  9. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    Personally I'd love to see new twists on some familiar things like having Luke in the Jedi Temple. I'm all for tying the saga together as much as possible. The thing is that these aren't just a new set of movies, they're Episodes VII, VIII, and IX of presumably a nine part story, so you always have to keep the big picture in mind while making each movie as well as each trilogy be it's own thing to some degree as well.

10. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    A ruined Coruscant would be awesome. Want to see more of the Underworld as well.

SkywalkerSquadron, Dra--- and Lee_ like this.
  11. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Agreed there should be ties, but they should be limited. Coruscant isn't essential to the story, in that the story does not need to be based out of it to be successful; it is not along the lines of light-saber fights, Jedi robes, laser blasters, alien creatures, space battles or force powers (in fact, it didn't even exist in the first 3 movies, not a signature of SW). But it is a sort of landmark of the Jedi, so it wouldn't hurt to reference it, and have something happen there involving the new Jedi Order. They could choose to emphasize a different set of tie-ins from the other movies, it doesn't have to be that.

Dra--- likes this.
  12. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    I hope to see Coruscant but please no Jedi Temple there. Put it on some other planet!

Immortiss, Lee_ and Dra--- like this.
  13. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    The story may not need to be based out of Couruscant to be successful, but it is the center of the galaxy and the capital of the Republic, so if the Empire is no longer in control and we're following characters who are instrumental in the reformation of that Republic instead of just a ragtag group of rebels on the margins of society, then yeah, it's kind of important to spend a fair amount of time there. Besides, Coruscant is a huge place and there's still a lot of room for exploration, plus as we've seen in the PT, it can be heavily featured while allowing for plenty of other planets to be explored as well.

14. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Hope Mon Calamari is the home of the new government in the ST.

15. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    If you want to create some actual drama in this trilogy, blow Coruscant to bits in the first 20 mins of the film. Just when the Republic and Jedi are celebrating 30 years of peace, they're all nearly destroyed on the capital planet. I don't mean Alderaan the place, but don't be afraid to junk the hell out of it.

16. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    I know you've been angling for some Coruscant destruction, and while I'm not sure I agree with it happening that soon in the story, I wouldn't be opposed to it at some point.

17. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    When I was younger I bounced around the idea that Palpatine somehow had a giant Star Destroyer (Bigger than the Eclipse) in the core of Coruscant and it launched a blast that destroyed the entire planet or a good portion of it.
    So something like the Lusankya escape but worse.

Or was it parts of the planet opened up and the ship came out of the core?

Dra--- likes this.
  18. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I don't know about that, but I'd love to see Mon Calamari in general. We've already had a "water planet", but it could have a very different feel from Kamino so I don't see that being an obstacle.

19. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    Agreed. I love Kamino but we never got to go beneath the surface of the water, and while I loved the underwater stuff on Naboo, I would welcome another underwater society in Star Wars, as well as some battle action, which we still haven't seen in a live action format.

20. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    "The whole planet is one big Star Destroyer!"

21. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Vthuil I've had enough of Political Coruscant for the time being. I also want the PT Old Republic and ST Republic to be as different as possible so no government on Coruscant. Going there for other stuff is fine but no politics.
    I honestly loved the battle on Mon Calamari in TCW. I want to see more of the planet.

22. SkywalkerSquadron

SkywalkerSquadron Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 2, 2013
    I would definitely like to see Coruscant in the ST. I would love to see some Jedi or Sith explore the lower levels of Coruscant in the new films. I think seeing the lowlife thugs and such would be interesting.

23. JediGirl_Angelina

JediGirl_Angelina Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 12, 2003
    ITA. Coruscant has so much potential that was left kind of unused in the PT.

24. Ordo N-11

Ordo N-11 Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 28, 2013
    You can never have enough Coruscant.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  25. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    One does not simply be rid of Coruscant.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.