main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Whither Coruscant?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by LottDodd, Oct 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord TW

Lord TW Jedi Master star 2

Dec 25, 2012
    Not all pilots are clones, even during the Clone Wars (eg, Anakin). I cannot recall the dialogue, and growing up I wondered the same thing, but I've come to realize that Luke, despite hating the Empire, would have done anything to see the stars. Also, didn't he say something about the Alliance not being "out here" in the Outer Rim?

2. LottDodd

LottDodd Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2002
    Something that has been hinted at, that we have never seen, is The Courts. I would love to see the justice system of the galaxy at work....

3. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    TCW showed the Republic's justice system at work in the final arc of Season 5. Ahsoka is sent to a Republic courtroom where Palpatine presided as judge while the Senators acted as jury...so Mace's words in RotS, that Palpatine had control of the courts, was literally true.

It would be interesting to see the courts and the justice system of the New Republic, which I imagine would be far more similar to what we're familiar with here on Earth than the more military-tribunal style seen in TCW (since a Jedi was on trial, perhaps this was why Palpatine and the Senate were directly involved in the trial).

4. TheManFromMortis

TheManFromMortis Jedi Master star 3

Nov 19, 2012
    _ _ _ _

Well, however, at the beginning of RoTS he is being held captive by Dooku, so there must have been some action on Coruscant. Of course, he orchestrated the whole thing, yes, but there would presumably have been some pretense that there was a battle of sorts when he was "kidnapped" by the separatists.

5. Lord Schtam

Lord Schtam Jedi Youngling

Jan 4, 2014
    To return to Coruscant would be awesome. Please let the Coruscantis have British accents, rather than the Sith!

6. LottDodd

LottDodd Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2002
    I would love to see the new government, whatever it may be, set up shop in the halls of Palpatine's Imperial Palace. The place has been retrofitted to its new purpose... But there are still undiscovered passageways and dark secrets hiding within.

Trebor Sabreon and Darkslayer like this.
  7. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    I really hope we see Coruscant, Korriban, and Dromund Kaas at some point in the ST.

8. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    External views of Coruscant means much CGI. I was hoping we were going away from those.

DNateos likes this.
  9. Echo Base

Echo Base Jedi Master star 4

Jul 21, 2013
    Maybe we could see parts of Coruscant reverting to nature - some buildings or city sectors may have been demolished to make way for parks or the re-establishment of forests. Symbolically, the Rebels were always represented by nature in the OT (even down to names like Leia *Organa*) whilst the Empire inhabited a sterile, technological world. With the Force apparently in balance at the outset of the ST and the Republic in the process of being re-established, this would be a nice bit of symbolism.

DarthBreezy and Mystery Roach like this.
  10. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Hm, was this a joke? :confused:
    CG isn't bad by definition, just like practical effects aren't good by definition.

11. Bob Octa

Bob Octa Jedi Knight star 2

May 6, 2013
    Wasn't Coruscant mostly realized with models?

12. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    Cloud City was with Matte paintings. Coruscant was largely CGI.

13. Bob Octa

Bob Octa Jedi Knight star 2

May 6, 2013
    Well yeah, that's the conventional wisdom of the internet, but I'm not so sure. And there was much more to Coruscant than distant matte paintings, digital or otherwise.

purplerain likes this.
  14. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    I agree. The pre-production artwork was spectacular. But I do think the importance of Coruscant to the whole Star Wars arc is what makes it important for fans to see it in the ST.

15. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    I think we'll only visit Coruscant if there is a reason to visit Coruscant. I know it sounds like common sense and a little silly out loud to say, but I was thinking about this today: In Episode IV, Luke says goodbye to the Lars homestead and as far as the films are concerned, he never returns to that location. In Episode VI, Luke returns to Tatooine to save Han. Does he pop into the old homestead to grab some old belongs? Does he stop at Obi-wan's old place? Maybe, but we don't see it happen and he doesn't mention stopping by, so for all intents and purposes he never did.

Would it be neat to see the Jedi Temple after years of it being abandoned? Sure, but if there isn't a logical reason why one of the characters would visit that site, then we probably won't see it at all.

NoChesterHester likes this.
  16. NoChesterHester

NoChesterHester Jedi Master star 1

Nov 5, 2012
    Perhaps we could be introduced to some new locations in the galaxy that supply as much intrigue as the original locations.

17. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    I have no doubt that the new locations will be intriguing. Also, I believe there is definitely room to visit different locations on planets we already have seen. I wouldn't mind seeing different parts of Felucia, Saleucami, and/or Kashyyyk.

18. Darth_Harmon

Darth_Harmon Jedi Master star 4

Jul 4, 2005
    While the Kinect Star Wars game got a lot of crap, one of the really cool aspects of it for me was that it took place in a post-ROTJ Jedi Temple with Artoo and Threepio speaking to the player while Luke was, presumably, somewhere else in the temple.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Andy Wylde likes this.
  19. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    So then by your own statement both were designed and drawn. The only difference in one is paint on glass the other is digital paint on digital glass.

Exactly the PT used every trick in the book and all the new ones they has been working on before than and all the totally new ones they came up with for it.

It's doubtful the ST will use anywhere near the practical SFX of the PT. I don't see it as it's too much of a cost savings to go all-CGI models rather than all the practical model work the PT did.

Why spend all that money and time when you can do it on the computer? I doubt they would do all the PE work and miniatures that were all over the PT which for people missed out on.

Some article I read once stated the amount of PE used for each PT movie was larger than the entire OT trilogy and that is probably true. The number of models alone was astounding.

Trying to talk with some people though is useless. They don't care in the least about facts but will simply say everything was "CG" without really knowing what that means. Just a bogus catch all phrase for digital film-making.

They obviously have no idea how Mustafar was created and what went into it. The big mistake the PT made was to not emphasis all the practical work being done. This allowed the people who didn't like them to then vent their anger about how CG ruined everything.

The ST is already showing how they are working the media to talk about a balance. So they are well on the way to making people think that they will have more PE when almost certainly they will have far less.

Andy Wylde and Iron_lord like this.
  20. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012

Yes but there is a different depth, warmth and realism expressed in a matte painting as opposed to pixels in CGI.

21. lovelikewinter

lovelikewinter Jedi Knight star 4

May 28, 2014
    I was recently reading the Foundation Trilogy and noticed how Coruscant is Trantor, the capital world in the books. The later books have the planet being sacked, much like Rome, with destroyed buildings and the population gone. Dark Empire had much the same feel for the planet in the first issue.

There is probably no Republic in the ST, as 30 years is a short amount of time to defeat a colossal enemy and create a strong galaxy-wide government. The Alliance may be headquartered on another world, the Terminus of Star Wars. Could we see an abandoned and broken Coruscant? With a possible return to rebuild the Republic at the end of the trilogy?

D'an and Echo Base like this.
  22. appleseed

appleseed Chosen One star 5

Dec 5, 2002
    Like anything else remotely connected to the PT, I don't expect to see Coruscant at all in the ST.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  23. Obill-Wan Cuppobi

Obill-Wan Cuppobi Jedi Padawan star 1

Jun 2, 2014
    I think that would be pretty cool, have a REAL Battle of Coruscant, in either VIII or IX. Not a space battle, but like a real land battle, from skyscrapers. That could be cool.

24. Game3525

Game3525 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 25, 2008

The concept of Coruscant is an OT creation(it was called Had Abbadon). If there is a Galactic Republic then there is a good chance we will see Coruscant.

25. KitsterAKABobaFett

KitsterAKABobaFett Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 31, 2007
    I love the idea of a basically dystopian Coruscant after the Empire is defeated. I could see them just having a new Rebel/New Republic capitol planet and explaining that the planet was abandoned, and I actually have been in the "let's not see Coruscant camp," but the idea of returning to a deserted Coruscant at some point in the ST actually kind of appeals to me. I could see it as a rundown, crime-ridden wasteland, with all manner of scum and villainy, the furthest thing from the grand political hub of the PT.

D'an likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.