main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Whither Coruscant?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by LottDodd, Oct 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    If we don't see Coruscant, I would hope for one of these two possibilities:

1. There isn't a Republic.

2. The Republic has a different capital.

2. Echo Base

Echo Base Jedi Master star 4

Jul 21, 2013
    I hope you enjoyed the Foundation trilogy as much as I did. I would love to see a film series based on those novels one day.

Yes, a sacking of Coruscant would be a nice touch if that were part of the storyline. Who knows? Perhaps Driver and friends are the barbarians at the gate, rather than Imperial types.

3. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Thread merge [face_dancing]

4. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    EHT and Dra---, you two have said that prequel haters are a vocal minority. If that's true, I hope that the ST is full of Coruscant and politics.

5. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I think they are, yes. I'd love to see some more of Coruscant, but I don't think it should be as central as it was in the PT. And politics, too... no problem with that from me, but again it probably won't be as central to the story as it was in the PT, while still explaining the state of affairs with regard to the reigning government structure, etc. It's really about what the story calls for.

Hogsquattle and CairnsTony like this.
  6. Jonipoon

Jonipoon Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2014
    Coruscant should be included in the ST trilogy if its important to the overall story. If it isnt, I dont see any reason for it to be there other than a simple PT reference. There is nothing wrong with Coruscant, I always thought it was really cool and I remember seing Episode I for the first time and hearing the words "Coruscant... the whole planet is a city".

As someone previously mentioned, it would be really neat to see Luke, Han and Leia (or at least one of them) on the same places in Coruscant as Anakin, Obi-Wan and Padmé. Even for a short time.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  7. D'an

D'an Jedi Master star 4

Apr 21, 2014
    Yes! Give me "Ghost Planet!" I think the ruins of a failed golden age would be too tantalizing of a backdrop to pass on. Everyone loves a good post-apocalypse! I'm not a big fan of the prequels, but I'm also not in the "I hope the ST distances itself from the PT as much as possible" camp. Let's remember this will always be George's galaxy. I'm all in favor of tying the trilogies together whenever possible if it can be done tastefully and not at the expense of the story at hand.

QuangoFett and Redimet like this.
  8. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    What does that mean?

A matte painting is a matte painting.

The tools may differ from paints on glass to digital paint on digital glass but it's still the same thing done by immensely talented people.

Yes, the depth, warmth and realism of the digital matte is far greater than the glass matte unless they specifically want to make it look more like a glass one.

Like I've said to some people "real" is "fake" and the more "fake" the more real it is to them.

The problem is that when the PT did do OT style fake shots the people that are always after them no matter what called it out as not being real enough and can't you do better?

I think the problem is that people use CGI as a term encapsulating so many different disciplines as to make the term truly meaningless.

It's a very fault term. The computer can't generate much of anything without artists doing the work.

Do you call glass mattes PGI (paint generated images)?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. LottDodd

LottDodd Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2002
    The matte paintings for Cloud City or Death Star 2 or the Millineum Falcon in the Rebel hanger are nowhere near as effective as anything in the PT. For some people, they invoke rose colored nostalgia glasses.

And the amount of models and practical effects used to create Coruscant is far greater than most people imagine. They are confusing CGI with compositing.

Coruscant WILL be a major part of the ST. There will not be as much Senate debate... Because the Senate has yet to be reformed, if it will ever be. Instead we will see an Imperial Coruscant. Militarized and paranoid.

We will walk the corridors of power once again, but who else will be occupying it, and whether the "good guys" will regain control of the planet without destroying it is yet to be seen...

10. HankSolo

HankSolo Jedi Master star 3

Dec 3, 2012

Agreed. Maybe they could make it look run down and have bad weather, like Los Angeles in Blade Runner.

Jcuk and darklordoftech like this.
  11. HugoWanKenobi

HugoWanKenobi Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 3, 2013
    By your statement I assume you've never seen a digital artist working.

12. vinsanity

vinsanity Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2013
    For some people, the notion that nostalgia is = a bad thing or overhyping something that was not that great, is absurd.

13. Hoggsquattle

Hoggsquattle Jedi Master star 5

Feb 7, 2009

No.

Star Wars isn't supposed to be "real" - it is a fantasy

The think is though, that if the Alliance see up on Coruscant those Imperial employees could mainly stay in their jobs - this is often the case in our history that the civil servants are kept in place because they know how things work

not every Imperial was evil, as in evident by pilots defecting to the Rebellion, so the same could be said for the public servants just going about their daily lives

The Alliance isn't going to prosecute every stormtrooper, accountant and technician as war criminals nor can they afford the expense of inprisonment

14. Panakas_Dawg

Panakas_Dawg Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 29, 2004
    But, will we get "local color" characters like Dex and his diner? There's more in Coruscant than politicians. I'd like to see a post-Empire Coruscant. I feel it would look very much like areas of Berlin after Nazi Germany fell.

my kind of scum and Hogsquattle like this.
  15. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009
    Whenever I think ST and Coruscant, I keep assuming that if it is still capital city, it is in the hands of the Alliance.

I never think that it might still be the HQ of the Empire, or it could have been lost and retaken several times.:)

I'm sorry but I'm only human :p

16. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Ubraniff Zalkaz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2014
    I would like to see Luke exploring the Jedi temple. I think we might see Coruscant at some point during the ST.

17. KevinM1

KevinM1 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 15, 2012
    If Coruscant is in the ST, I hope it's used sparingly. It's just not an interesting location, IMO, and far too much time was spent there in the PT. Gigantic megalopolis with flying cars is incredibly old hat.

Jcuk likes this.
  18. Twwwon

Twwwon Jedi Padawan

May 7, 2014

Would the Jedi Temple even be left standing thirty years after Jedi? I always thought it would be the first thing Palpatine would destroy as Emperor.

19. I know

I know Jedi Knight star 3

May 4, 2014
    Evidently Lucas saw fit to drop it into the background of the Coruscant celebration scene at the end of ROTJ in one of the many DVD releases. I like to think after the fall of the Jedi, Vader used it as his personal castle. I have this image of Vader sitting in Mace Windu's chair in an empty council chamber. "now I'm a Master B****"

20. Palpatine2016

Palpatine2016 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    This is a scene I really want to see. I probably don't want to spend as much time with Coruscant in the new trilogy, but I definitely want it there.

Redimet and Ubraniff Zalkaz like this.
  21. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Ubraniff Zalkaz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2014
    Someone else already talked about the temple still there after Sidious is defeated. I think that Sidious would try to comb ever inch of the temple after he took control and that would probably take many years to do, so I do think that the temple is still intact. Would anything of value be left inside? That's a good question, but maybe only someone with the force strength of Luke could gain access to certain areas or artifacts.

22. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Maybe the planet is actually this morbidly obese man, so he decides to get back into shape by the time VII comes around thus murdering every single inhabitant?

23. Redimet

Redimet Jedi Master star 4

Mar 2, 2014
    This would really be cool to see in Rebels at some point Vader just using the temple as his own home to kind of show his dominance.

I know and darklordoftech like this.
  24. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Maybe Palpatine turned it into affordable housing for Gungans. ;)

I know likes this.
  25. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009
    There are parts of it already run down - the Blade Runner idea is good.

Maybe one of the spinoffs could be a murder mystery set on Coruscant - a cross between Blade Runner and Raymond Chandler :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.