main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

who agrees that the prequels played better on the big screen

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by mynameismyown, Aug 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mynameismyown

mynameismyown Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 7, 2005
    rather than the small one? this a question i've wondered about since AOTC came out on DVD. i loved that film at the theatre but have really disliked it on DVD and am worried ROTS will suck as well since i saw the music video. they look too cartoony for whatever reason on DVD

2. bebbie

bebbie Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 28, 2002
    because of them being filmed "digitally"?? I never saw any of them on a digital movie screen so I wouldn't know the difference.

Personally, I believe all the Star Wars movies play better on the big screen. For the ultimate Star Wars experience, the big screen's the go!! [face_peace]

3. Mikaboshi

Mikaboshi Force Ghost star 6

Jul 12, 2005
    Well since films are made to be shown on the big screen I guess I would have to agree with that. Especially when talking about scifi films, with all the action going on they just fit the big screen better. It was that way with the OT as well, ESB rocks on the small screen but there is nothing like seeing it on the big screen, especially when it is at a drive-in theater.

4. colivo

colivo Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 25, 2004
    My biggest mistake is not seeing AOTC & ROTS in a digital theater. I think those two movies will play better on DVD. When I saw them in a regular theater, the sound was so-so and the picture was alright. From what I heard a Star Wars movie is so much better in a digital theater. That is why I can't wait for DVD, I have a 50" HD-TV, and Dolby Digital Receiver, and I really enjoy watching the Star Wars movies in my basement with the sound cranked up.

5. emporergerner

emporergerner Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 6, 2005
    Space battles look so much better on the big screen. The beginning ROTS made me want to jump out of my seat. I've never seen the OT on the big screen.:_| But I can imagine what the Death Star battle must be like.

6. Mikaboshi

Mikaboshi Force Ghost star 6

Jul 12, 2005
    My favorite scene on the big screen was the start of ESB, I saw it at a drive-in and words cannot express how great it was to see it that way.

=P~ I have a 32' tube (no HD) and a decent surround system and it is great watching it on that format, I could not imagine how cool it would be to see it on your system.

7. LordRevan19

LordRevan19 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 26, 2005
    Definetly you get a better experiance in the movie theater because of the surround sound and big screen.

Good Stuff

8. zombie

zombie Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 1999
    I agree that ANY movie plays bigger on the big screen!

and SW, with its emphasis on big sights and sounds, definitly suffers on home video. Man, you should see the OT on the big screen! Wow. You have seen hyperspace until you've seen it in theatres.

9. Darth_Spartan

Darth_Spartan Jedi Youngling star 2

May 16, 2005
    Buy yourself a Big screen T.V. (steal one if you must)

Buy yourself surround sound speakers. (steal some if you must)

This will make watching the movies at home AWESOME.

10. LordRevan19

LordRevan19 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 26, 2005
  11. Ralek_Kron

Ralek_Kron Jedi Youngling

Sep 3, 2005
    i didnt see tpm or aotc on "the big screen" but i saw rots..it was beautiful. so i go w/ big screen.:)

12. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
    I like watching them on the big digital screen the best, but I almost prefer my home theater setup to a projected theater screen.

It seems sharper, there is no frame jump, no cigarette burns, no scratches or splices.

13. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    TPM is much better on the big screen. AOTC, however, since it was shot digitally had contrasting issues. On the DVD, it looks much better.

14. Showcase_Pictures

Showcase_Pictures Jedi Youngling

Sep 11, 2005
    I think Attack of the Clones provided the weakest display on screen. The Phantom Menace, being shot primarily on film, still had the same fresh, clean-cut look of the Original Trilogy. Attack of the Clones had some minor issues with its digital format(especially when shown on a film projection screen) and the contrast and depth were slightly off. Revenge of the Sith was a vast improvement and really made me appreciate the digital format. I thought the colors were rich and the picture was brilliant, but of course I never viewed Revenge of the Sith on anything but a digital projector. All in all, I think they displayed quite well, and each film seemed to bring back the magic of the original Star Wars.

15. Darth_Davi

Darth_Davi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 29, 2005
    the CGI effects look a lot more realistic with the grainyness associated with films in the theatre. The Pod race is a good example. In the DVD, when they are lining up to start, it is obvious that they are CGI. In theatres, the quality is less, so the CGI is less pronounced. It looks a little more realistic, since its grainier, slightly more dirty. Plus, most movies do play better at a theatre.

16. wcleere

wcleere Jedi Master star 3

Aug 12, 2002
    Yeah, I thought the contrast looked better on a digital projector for AOTC, but it was still noticable. There was also some digital video "noise" in the darker scenes, as well as light strobing. I don't see this on the DVD.

17. zombie

Aug 4, 1999
    The video noise is definitly on the dvd. Check out the nighttime Padme's apartment scenes. They look absolutely horrid. I hate the look of AOTC, and its because of the digital video. The HDcams werent quite ready just yet--i guess someone has to break new ground though; I seem to recall ROTS being indistinguishable from celluloid (though the fact that only 20-40% of the movie was filmed using actual digital cameras may have helped easy the DV look; we'll see how it holds up on DVD though).

18. wcleere

Aug 12, 2002
    You're right. The way my TV contrast is set you can't really see it, but I just looked at it on the PC, and it's there. It looked pretty bad even on a digital projector when it was in theaters. Seems like they dialed it in pretty well with ROTS, but we'll see on DVD soon enough....

19. Darth-Stryphe

Apr 24, 2001
    I hear ROTS digital was amazing, but to be honest I heard the same about AOTC and then when I saw it -- well, it had its ups and downs. The ups were cool but the downs were sizeable.

20. wcleere

Aug 12, 2002
    I actually preferred AOTC on celluloid, the digital projector version to me was too Hi-Res for its own good. ROTS digital made me a believer that Digital Cinema will ultimately rise to general use. It was superb.

21. lovelucas

lovelucas Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2004
    ALL star wars movies, and actually all movies, play better on the big screen. tv is well, tv. even those with the $ to try to duplicate the sound system will never match the experience of a large theater with major speakers, a screen that engulfs you and if you're fortunate, a story that does likewise. like all star wars movies. the best.

22. Shelley

Shelley Jedi Youngling star 5

Sep 9, 2001
    I think all the SW movies play better on the big screen.

23. Darth-Stryphe

Apr 24, 2001
    ALL star wars movies, and actually all movies, play better on the big screen.

Generally, yes, but in the area of digital, I think AOTC looks better on DVD than celluloid.

24. wcleere

Aug 12, 2002
    Stryphe, I wish you had gotten to see ROTS digital. I guess you'll be able to in 07, but you'll have to wear 3d glasses [face_plain]

25. zombie

Aug 4, 1999
    Am i the only one skeptical about this whole 3-d thing? Maybe in ten years, but 2007 is very close and unless SW3D is some unprecedented breakthrough in technology, i just dont see the existence of any significantly impressive hardware being likely.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.