main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

who agrees that the prequels played better on the big screen

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by mynameismyown, Aug 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Phredreeke87

Phredreeke87 Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 23, 2002
    The Pod race is a good example. In the DVD, when they are lining up to start, it is obvious that they are CGI. In theatres, the quality is less, so the CGI is less pronounced.

TPM on DVD was mastered from a film copy, not from the original digital files.

2. wcleere

wcleere Jedi Master star 3

Aug 12, 2002
    You're not alone. That's why in my post I put the plain face [face_plain] next to the reference to the 3d release. I am not sold on it whatsoever.

3. zombie

zombie Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 1999
    perhaps he was referring to the new DVD-edition CG aliens, which arent as convincing in quality as the theatrical cut CGI (and also wouldnt be inserted into a film master but made from a digital one).

4. Phredreeke87

Phredreeke87 Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 23, 2002
    Yeah... That makes me think... TPM was changed. Then why was it mastered from a film print? (not to be confused with the film it was shot on) Wouldn't it be easier to master it directly from the digital files rather than make new scenes and intercut with the old material...

5. DARTH_RAMA

DARTH_RAMA Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 14, 2005
    I agree

6. Tatooine_Fireman

Tatooine_Fireman Jedi Padawan star 4

May 16, 2003
    Late reaction, but I agree with mynameismyown.
    I have seen ROTS quite a few times now, most times on my computer, but last wednesday, we watched it at work, on a 5X5 meter screen, and it was amazing. I got goosebumps all over again as Obi-Wan and Anakin's fighters plunge into battle, and scenes such as Padme's Ruminations and Order 66 were much more haunting.

7. Lori_of_Cincinnati

Lori_of_Cincinnati Jedi Youngling

Aug 5, 2005
    And, remember the smell of fresh popcorn! Ahhhh . . .
    Here in Cinci the OT came back for a month, and that was great. My husband and I saw all three, one weekend after another.
    Alas, I missed a lot of TPM because I drank way too much Pepsi at dinner and was very far along with my first baby. And, I completely missed AOTC in the theater when my second one came. I did see ROTS in the theater, but it was a smallish theater in West Chester, PA, because I was on a work trip. So I'm hoping these all come back so I can see them as they were meant to be seen.

8. wcleere

wcleere Jedi Master star 3

Aug 12, 2002
    Speaking of big screens, did anyone enjoy IMAX Clones? I left 15 minutes in...I thought I was going to throw up from vertigo.

9. mynameismyown

mynameismyown Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 7, 2005
    aotc at imax was great, 1) because of the shortened length and 2) because the resolution really started to show its seams, like where dooku sends his droid away right before he combats anakin and obi wan, he looked incredibly cg. i thought it really proved ebert right in his criticism of hi def photography, that it really doesnt hold up against film

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.