main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Who are the best students to come out of the jedi academy?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Maverick15, Feb 3, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kier_Nimmion

Kier_Nimmion Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 9, 2000

Conviction doesn't do squat when a Yuuzhan Vong is about to kick your a$$.

Incorrect. Convinctions means you don't compromise your ideals in the face of the enemy.

In the NJO there is nobody who has done more harm to the Yuuzhan Vong than Kyp. Even Han says this and others too though they might not agree with his methods.

Oh, except in Star by Star we see this as being incorrect, since the first defeat of Vong forces is essentially entirely Luke's doing.

Corran has done absolutely Nothing this whole time. Even his convictions aren't rock solid as evidenced in the Dark Tide Series.

Hum, let's see, he bargained for Ithor and won the duel. He just wasn't counting the Yuuzhan Vong being total scum about it and destroying the planet anyway. Besides, as for the doing nothing that was Stackpole's doing and took Corran out of play for 2 years.

2. ILLUMINATUS_JEDI

ILLUMINATUS_JEDI Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2001
    Until a Noghri Jedi crops up, NONE!

Corran, Anakin and Tahiri.

3. Jaina02

Jaina02 Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 8, 1999
    Corran, Anakin, and the Solo Twins in my opinion.

4. Maverick15

Maverick15 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 22, 2001
    Hey Kier Nimmon, I distinctly remember Corran curled up in a ball, crying because of what he had done. He was questioning whether the dark side had influenced his actions.

And Kyp hasn't changed his convictions during the invasion. His stance has always been proactive. Plus Luke wouldn't whoop kyp's butt if they fought. It would be so close they'd probably both die.
    The whole reason why Kyp wasn't executed after wasting Carida is that his talent outweighed the crimes he had commited.

5. -Vergere-

-Vergere- Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2001
    Overwhelming talent is never an excuse to forgive grave crime against humanity. If that were the case, any Jedi would use their power as they see fit and never worry about the repurcussions because they think their God.

We've been witness to remarkable Yuuzhan Vong biotechnology. Under the right circumstances, I think the GFFA can forgive them. But does their incredible talent in biotechnology outweigh their serious crimes against the galaxy? I don't think so.

6. Tsavong_Lah

Tsavong_Lah Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 29, 2001
    Oh no not another bash Kyp-a-thon.

I feel so sorry for him.

One would think that just because Kyp has a difference of opinion with Luke everyone hates him. Thats kind of ingnorant, a grown man can have a difference of opinion. Jedi have free will. They don't have to do everything Luke says.

And contrary to what you all think Kyp has not caused as big a rift in the Jedi as you people seem to insue. I saw no evidence of such desent in Rebirth or Star by Star.

And that was kind of cruel SabraJaguar. Fighter squadrons get killed by the Yuuzhan Vong all the time, you can't blame Kyps stance on the Jedi for the cause of their deaths. They die because people die in battle. And Its not like he doesn't care, his pilots deaths hurt him as much as any other squadron leader.

7. DVader316

DVader316 Jedi Knight star 7

Feb 18, 2000
    My picks for the best students to come out of the Academy are as follows :

Anakin
    Corran
    Ganner
    Jaina

and, the school valedictorian...

Jedi Master Kyp Durron, simply the best student to attend the Academy. :D ;)

<<<<<< applies flame retardant suit....

8. DVader316

DVader316 Jedi Knight star 7

Feb 18, 2000
    Oh, and in response to an earlier post, Im fairly positive that Tesar did not attend the Academy. Didn't Sebatyne train him independently on Barabel ?

9. Kier_Nimmion

Aug 9, 2000

Hey Kier Nimmon, I distinctly remember Corran curled up in a ball, crying because of what he had done. He was questioning whether the dark side had influenced his actions.

Ah, but I never said that he was or was not influenced by the Dark Side, rather I said that he did what his convictions.

And Kyp hasn't changed his convictions during the invasion.

I never even mentioned Kyp.

His stance has always been proactive.

Nor did I say that they were not.

Plus Luke wouldn't whoop kyp's butt if they fought.

What are you talking about?

It would be so close they'd probably both die.

Okay??

The whole reason why Kyp wasn't executed after wasting Carida is that his talent outweighed the crimes he had commited.

You ability to generate tangental conversations is staggering.

10. Tsavong_Lah

Tsavong_Lah Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 29, 2001
    - DVader316

Oh yeah I knew he wasn't from the academy. I should have said that I just thought he was a very promising Jedi, along with his sisters but sadly they aren't with us anymore :(

11. Face Loran

Face Loran Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 21, 1999
    "If he didn't like Luke's leadership he should have Challanged him for leader ship of the jedi. instead of sulking around causing splintering. He knew Luke would whoop him silly."

Sulking around? Sulking around?! How can you accuse Kyp of sulking? In reality, he's anything but. When something doesn't goes his way, he takes it out on the Vong (or attempts to, anyway), he doesn't sit and brood about it. If anything, he should be accused of not doing enough sulking, of acting out of frustration. If anyone should be accused of sulking, it should be Jacen and, to a lesser extent, Luke.

"I agree with Mara she should have "Handled" Kyp when she had the chance."

Oh, so he disagrees with you, so he should be killed? Thats mighty Jedi-like of you. Not even Kyp has stooped so low as to suggest killing someone who voiced an opposition. And why is it that so many Luke supporters are so quick to suggest Kyp be "handled?"

Contrary to what some of you think, disagreeing with Luke is not a crime. Voicing his decent does not make Kyp a bad person. If you are going to dislike Kyp, at least do so for a legitimate reason. We all know there are plenty of those to go around....

12. Isbeth

Isbeth Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2001
    Way back at the beginning of this thread, I would agree with Kier, but would add Ganner and Valin as well,

13. Maverick15

Oct 22, 2001
    Yeah mara seems way more angry at Kyp than vice versa. It's probably because she was ignored at the Academy by Luke while he taught Kyp. And I would appreciate it, Kier Nimmon if you wouldn't dissect peoples' comments.

14. Kier_Nimmion

Aug 9, 2000

Way back at the beginning of this thread, I would agree with Kier, but would add Ganner and Valin as well,

I agree with me, too! :)

Yes, I like Ganner a lot also, even though he was fun to hate in the Dark Tide duology.

15. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    Maverick15...

If a post cannot hold up under closer scrutiny, then it's probably off-topic, erroneous, spam, or irrelevent.

There's nothing wrong with dissecting posts - it helps keep the discussion focused and can certainly better expose fallacious leaps in logic made by people.

I think the solution is to make posts which can endure any sort of scrutiny, regardless of whether it is viewed through a telescope or a microscope with a fine scalpal.

Besides, it's not like anyone of us has a right to dictate how others prefer to make their posts.

16. Kier_Nimmion

Aug 9, 2000

And I would appreciate it, Kier Nimmon if you wouldn't dissect peoples' comments.

Um, no, but thanks for the advice.

17. Maverick15

Oct 22, 2001
    That would be fine if the scrutiny was from an impartial source but it isn't. What you might call a fallacy, or a leap in logic could be a stroke of genius to another. When a simple forum with posted thoughts and opinions becomes an arena where people want you to explain your reasoning in proofs(with quotes and citations too), something is wrong. It would be prudent of you to heed some advice even if it is not mine. If you seek to take apart or belittle someonelse's opinion you may anger the wrong person. Many of you are thought to be arrogant smartmouths because you post this way. Instead try to be humble in your criticisms.

18. Kier_Nimmion

Aug 9, 2000

That would be fine if the scrutiny was from an impartial source but it isn't.

How can it be from an impartial source? We're all interested observers in a forum that invites free dialog. Impartial source inplies the respondant, that is, the person making the reply, doesn't care one way or the other. That is a lot to expect from a Star Wars forum inhabited primarily by Star Wars fans.

What you might call a fallacy, or a leap in logic could be a stroke of genius to another.

Very true, but it also may not be.

When a simple forum with posted thoughts and opinions becomes an arena where people want you to explain your reasoning in proofs(with quotes and citations too), something is wrong.

I disagree. If I were to post in a thread that, say, oh, I don't know, Thrawn was a stupid concept for a character, do you really believe that people would just let it go and simply agree or disagree and leave it at that? In reality, the thread would have 50 posts in a matter of minutes as people line up to demand my reasoning behind the statement. Opinions, on the whole, need to be justified, especially around here.

It would be prudent of you to heed some advice even if it is not mine. If you seek to take apart or belittle someonelse's opinion you may anger the wrong person.

We take apart arguments around here all the time, mine included, as well as everybody else's. Check out Genghis' thread on Thrawn not actually being a Grand Admiral.: Wahey! Has Mitty Been Impersonating a Grand Admiral this Whole Time!?!

Many of you are thought to be arrogant smartmouths because you post this way. Instead try to be humble in your criticisms.

This place can be rather rough at times, and it is always prudent to never enter a game without a cup.

19. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    Considering the Shamed Ones are starting to view the Jedi as their saviors, I'd say Anakin has actually hurt the Vong more than Kyp. If the Shamed Ones rise up, then the Vong will have to fight on two fronts.

20. Isbeth

Isbeth Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2001
    Here, here, Kier,

Wimps don't post around here.
    Anybody wanna see my battle scars?

21. Ana Vitorrian

Ana Vitorrian Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 2, 1999
    I actually like analysis behind opinions because it helps me put the statement/opinion into perspective.

For example, time and time again I read opinions that state "AAA is NOT Star Wars" - the problem there is that I don't have clue what that person means because I don't know how that person defines "Star Wars."

Or,

"BBB got the characterization wrong for CCC" but there are NO examples or further explanations to illustrate what is "right" and what is "wrong" about the characterization.

I'm for freedom of opinion and all - but I do like a little more meat in terms of explanation/analysis to the statements/opinions.

By the way, Xenomaniac on the Jedi Count thread was kind enough to provide a page site for a character he/she referenced called "Harlan." I thought that was cool because I read tons of this stuff, and that name wasn't ringing any bells for me. Pinpoint sites can be extremely helpful, especially for someone like myself who oddly enough, takes some pride in my SWEU continuity knowledge - however great or limited that knowledge may be.

Thanks again for your help Xenomaniac!!!

Knight1192, I don't think the Shamed Ones view the Jedi as their saviors. Rather, and more significantly, I think that "they are questioning their belief system." For example, if the YV are destined to claim this galaxy full of infidels by the word of the Gods, then why have the Gods given the Jedi this odd, great mystical power that no one amongst the YV possesses? Are the Gods giving some level of favor to the Jedi - who by definition, are infidels for placing significanse in "life" over "death"? Do the Jedi know nothing of importance - isn't glory ultimately a gift attained through pain and death? Then why do the Jedi have the Force? Is this heresy to believe the Gods "might" favor the Jedi in any way whatsover? Etc. Etc. Etc.

Sincerely,

Ana V

22. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    I'd have to disagree there. Case in point, Vua Rapuung. He'd been a respected warrior among the warrior class until he scorned Mezhan Kwaad. She then caused him to become a Shamed One. No one would believe him that it was her fault that she was the cause of his new status. Yet he teamed up with Anakin, an infidel, Jedi, and the enemy. Through their team work, Anakin not only saved Tahiri, but Vua Rapuung actually managed to bring about the truth of what happened to him from Mazhan Kwaad. The Shamed Ones then begin to wonder if the other classes are not deliberately keeping them down, if they are not causing them to be Shamed Ones as Mazhan Kwaad caused Vua Rapuung to be a Shamed One. And they know that Vua Rapuung regained his former status because of a Jedi. So they begin to wonder if the Jedi might not help them climb out of the lowest rank of Vong civilization. They begin to view the Jedi as their saviors who shall help them rise up to be something great instead of the scum of the Vong.

23. Ana Vitorrian

Ana Vitorrian Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 2, 1999
    Well, then we agree to disagree Knight1192! Ain't nothing wrong with that!!!

When it comes to the Yuuzhan Vong in general, I see the Shamed Ones looking to Yun Shuno to be their savior.

Also, with a God like Yun Harla, the "Trickster," well, deception has always been a trait highly regarded, praised and worshiped by the Yuuzhan Vong. Nom Anor has made a career and survived off of it, Subaltern Deign Lian helped undermine Commander Shedao Shai because of it, Prefect Da'Gara and the Praetorite Vong undercut the efforts of the warrior caste with a pre-emptive strike into infidel territory, and as you pointed out . . . Master Mezhan Qwaad deceived Vua Rapuung.

I honestly don't see Anakin pointing out anything that isn't already inherent within Yuuzhan Vong culture. "Deception" is the Yuuzhan Vong way of life. I would think that an energy brought forth from "life" however would be significant to a culture that believes real power (and glory) comes from "death." Collectively, I think the Jedi present a unreconcilable contradiction to the Yuuzhan Vong belief system.

I guess we won't ultimately know until this series plays out though, so for now, we're just two more theories in a field of multiple theories . . .

24. Sabrajaguar

Sabrajaguar Jedi Youngling star 4

Dec 22, 2001
    Face Lauran

While I respect your views you seem to be forgetting a few points.

Luke was a bit out of his game and while that is no escuse! The jedi acknoledge Luke as their leader. It would be like the Democrats making Jabs at Bushes dealing with The Taliban/Alqida. It is inapropriate, When faced with a treat One has to from a UNIFIED response.

Kyp Drove the Jedi Apart. And his actions did nothing significant. Yes Toasted a Civilan world ship. Like the vong care about their civilans.

He has made an presonal enemy of Nin Yim. People turn vicious if you hurt their citizens

He has Tarnished Jaian's Name.And that of Rouge squaren.

He Gave the political faction More power to Reign in the military.(one of the NR major problrems).

He has done all of this, He Cause problems which crippled Lukes support further. He Has Lost 2 squadrons because he acts before he thinks.

He has gotten away with so much with out even Jail time plus he acts like the second comming.

"This I Our war!" Yes screw the citizens, the Unlucky in the way. Disregard the Military, Strike at civilan targets. Do what you want.

Yes I would have had Mara "Handle" him. He has no sence of resposability. Anyone can feel remorse. Its thoughs who try to change so that It wont happen that get my attention.

25. Qui-Gonn Jinn

Qui-Gonn Jinn Jedi Youngling star 3

May 1, 1999
    corran, kyp and anakin are head and shoulders above most. much overlooked is dorsk 81-though he met an untimely death the way he threw back daalas fleet shows what kind of power he had in store-and as only an apprentice... for some reason im also partial to streen...but i just like old hermits

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.