main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Who are the best villains in fiction?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Aug 28, 2015.

1. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    HAL 9000 , altho I love him .

Sarge likes this.
  2. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    Palpatine. The guy had one of the most intricate and successful bad guy plans in the history of fiction. If that's not good story telling, I don't know what is.

3. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Mom from Doctor Detroit.

4. Hogarth Wrightson

Hogarth Wrightson Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 2, 2015
    Momma from Throw Momma from the Train.

5. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    [​IMG]

Gotta love Nurse Ratched. She just exudes this calm power over the men who are supposed to be under her care, yet her concern for the rules drive her to do more harm than good.

[​IMG]

Depending on the game, Ganondorf can be a pretty badass and effective villain. Give him a little more depth like in Wind Waker and he can actually become even more menacing, at the same time he's depicted as more sympathetic.

[​IMG]

From Superman to the Justice League, Lex was a constant thorn in the good guys' side, and more often than not he successfully hid his schemes behind schemes, making him one of the most formidable non-powered villain Supes and the rest ever face, if not the most formidable.

Rew and Vialco like this.
  6. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    The Thing from John Carpenter's The Thing.

Hogarth Wrightson likes this.
  7. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    “I admire Tolkien greatly. His books had enormous influence on me. And the trope that he sort of established—the idea of the Dark Lord and his Evil Minions—in the hands of lesser writers over the years and decades has not served the genre well. It has been beaten to death. The battle of good and evil is a great subject for any book and certainly for a fantasy book, but I think ultimately the battle between good and evil is weighed within the individual human heart and not necessarily between an army of people dressed in white and an army of people dressed in black. When I look at the world, I see that most real living breathing human beings are grey.” - GRRM

With that in mind, I'd say the "best" villains in ASOIAF are the POV characters themselves. :p Even if you see the whole thing as a oversimplistic Stark vs. Lannister contest, much of the story is told from the viewpoints of both the children of Ned and the children of Tywin. I'd say many of the POV characters are also capable of great evil in thought and deed, or morally complicated at the least. Tyrion, for example: he's a misogynist, straight up; he serves his father and King Joffrey-- both of whom he hates, yes, but that doesn't stop him from doing his best to protect his awful family members; he's a man of great anger, and despite it being understandable, that has led him to do some horrible things such as murder a prostitute; oh, and he rapes sex slaves and seriously considered raping Sansa when they were married; he doesn't care about the common people (almost none of the nobility really do) and demolished a section of King's Landing in order to make it more defensible against Stannis (his reaction to the protests was, "IT'S BECAUSE I'M A DWARF ISN'T IT").

Also, yes, Joffrey is a spoiled child-- emphasis on child. He's barely a teenager when he takes the throne and had been neglected by his ostensible father. He thinks he can do anything he wants because his mother has told him that his entire life. Yes, he's terrible, but I think his terrible upbringing and age make the adults behind him (Cersei, Pycelle, Varys, Littlefinger, Tywin, Tyrion) the "villains." While he decided to execute Ned Stark, he wasn't of age and could have been overruled by his regent (his mother). Tywin just did what every successful noble family does and took it to an extreme. Of course he hates his disabled son; nobody in that world has an affinity for "cripples." Of course he mercilessly crushed uppity vassals. Of course he eliminated threats to Robert's claim on the throne. Littlefinger, I'd say, is just playing the "game" better than any of the higher lords and he doesn't have much regard for the rules most others pretend to follow. We're not even sure what his grand plan is.

The show toned him down after season one. He let some serving girl mouth off to him without having her tongue cut out. Even the most tolerant lord would have told her to shut the **** up. :p The whole thing with Tysha wasn't mentioned again after Tyrion told the story. He engaged in "witty" banter with Olenna Tyrell. He was overall more genial. Blech.

8. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
  9. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
  10. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
  11. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    biff tannen

vin and Sarge like this.
  12. Bishman

Bishman Jedi Knight star 1

May 28, 2015
    J.J. Hunsecker.

13. grd4

grd4 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 11, 2013
    Literature:

Satan (Paradise Lost)
    Macbeth

Film:

Harry Lime (The Third Man)
    Michael Corleone (The Godfather trilogy)

Television:

Livia (I, Claudius)
    Walter White (Breaking Bad)

Also, I must say it would be fascinating to meet a person who considers the Christ of the Gospels a "villain." His/her worldview would be devoid of charity, empathy and grace--a sort of atheist Republican (that is to say, a completely self-aware Republican).

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  14. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    God and Jesus are both c-words responsible for suffering, division, hate, intolerance, repression, war. If we got rid of our stupid and weak dependence on crutches we would eliminate the major thing holding our species back.

Here's someone less **** than your Christ:

[​IMG]

15. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    You underestimate the stubborn will of humanity. Our crutches are greater than what we believe.

Anyway, David from The Last of Us is a pretty good villain. He is disarmingly charming, and he tries to be as gentle as possible with Ellie despite the fact that it's suggested he may rape her. What a freak.

16. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
  17. TheAvengerButton

Aug 11, 2011
    Dvdactive is quite the villain.

EDIT: The picture changed so this post now makes no sense.

Dinos4Ever likes this.
  18. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Sir Brian de Bois-Gilbert, the Templar from Walter Scott's Ivanhoe. He's dangerous, powerful, cynical, self-centered, hypocritical, and merciless. I hate that guy.

In movies, I'll nominate Archibald from Rob Roy. Disgusting little turd, IMO.

19. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    Isn't he the guy who raped Jessica Lange's character in that movie? It's been so long since I've seen it.

20. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Yeah, that's the one. I love what she told him: "I'll think of you dead until my husband makes you so, then I'll think of you no more."

21. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    Amon Goethe .

22. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    I always thought Danglars was one of those mustache-twirling villains. What with the way he arranged for Edmond Dantes to be imprisoned and stole his position.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Coruscant likes this.
  23. TheAvengerButton

Aug 11, 2011
    He was definitely of the mustache twirling variety. He's not really a redeemable character in the sense that Fernand and Villefort are, or even Caderousse (not Caderousse, I guess). Those men at least had families that they actually cared about. Danglars abandoned his family and absconded with the rest of his funds, and is the one villain in the tale who I think TRULY deserved Dantes' vengeance. But he was forgiven, which is something I also think he truly deserved.

Coruscant likes this.
  24. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Doc Hopper. As wretched a man as ever there was.

tom likes this.
  25. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    Daniel LaRusso

soitscometothis likes this.