main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Who are the best villains in fiction?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Aug 28, 2015.

1. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  2. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Hannibal Lecter is probably the best villain in the horror/thriller movie genre in the last 40 years. They've made sequels and even a tv show based on that character. But Anthony Hopkin's performance was disturbing yet classic.

3. slidewhistle

slidewhistle Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 24, 2015
    Dudley in LA Confidential, and he's more monstrous in the books.

4. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001

That was a great villain. I didn't read the novel so when the reveal happened in the film it was shocking. Great movie.

5. grd4

grd4 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 11, 2013
    EnderSai: How exactly are the Gospels responsible for repression and suffering? They stand alongside the Bhagavad Gita as the most breathtaking works of wisdom literature in the world.

Their Christ essentially implored folks not to judge others, to respond to violence with grace, to give their excess to the impoverished, to welcome all into the human family, and to pursue justice even to the point of death. (Oh, and he was despised by religious conservatives and brutally executed by a hideous empire.)

How is this NOT commendable?

Sarge likes this.
  6. Shadow Trooper

Shadow Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jul 18, 2013
    The thing that makes a great villain in my opinion is moral complexity. The character should have relateable goals and motivations; however, they are willing to take actions in pursuit of these goals which we would find morally objectionable. These types of villain becomes compelling to me because I don't know quite what to feel about them. I can both understand and sympathize with their goals however the horrific means they use to get these goals makes me feel uncomfortable for rooting for them. My four favorite examples of villains like this are The Master (Fallout), Roy Batty (Blade Runner) Caine (Heroes Die) and Kreia (KotOR 2).

7. jedinightwing

jedinightwing Jedi Master star 3

Aug 4, 2009
    Ric Flair or Roddy Piper. Because Pro-Wrestling in a nutshell is fiction.

8. Jedi with a TARDIS

Jedi with a TARDIS Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 4, 2013
    Ha! No one's mentioned Dolores Umbridge. So, sooooo evil. Nasty piece of work. I'd also say the Warleggens and that creepy vicar from Poldark. And St. John Rivers from Jane Eyre. All of them hide behind a facade of morality which to me is more repulsive than outright evil. As a Christian who's read her Bible enough to know that free will to accept or reject God is His gift, any use of religion for coercion is disgusting to me.

9. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    Umbridge was a better villain than Voldemort, IMO. What a nasty piece of work.

10. PCCViking

PCCViking 6x Wacky Wednesday Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Jun 12, 2014

Umbridge was better in the book than the movie. They really cut down on her nastiness in the movie. Yes, they had the detention scene and the threat to use the Cruciatus Curse, but they didn't have her kicking Harry, Fred and George off the Quidditch team, attacking Hedwig or Hagrid, or even taking responsibility for the dementor attack.

As for the best villain...Palpatine. Let's see this record: OT-orders construction of two planet destroying weapons, one of which is used and kills billions; PT-engineers the invasion of his own home planet, endangering his own people through starvation and other means of death; engineers a galaxy wide war once again killing billions. Voldemort and Sauron would have to enroll in Dark Lord 101 with Palpatine as the teacher.

11. Bob Crow

Bob Crow Jedi Padawan star 1

Jul 7, 2015
  12. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    [​IMG]

President Charles Logan, 24.

13. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    Morgoth Bauglir.

[​IMG]

Remember The Lord of the Rings movies? Remember the shadow cast by Sauron upon the whole world, the borderline cosmic evil that he represented, how he was the source of all the suffering and ill things that happened not only in The Lord of the Rings but also The Hobbit (and even in the tales of Numenor if we want to go back that far)? Remember how it took the most unlikely efforts from the most unlikely of heroes while the rest of the world had to serve as a massive diversion just to have a chance to defeat him?

That same Sauron was little more than a servant of Morgoth, the true originator of all evil in Tolkien's universe. That's right, the greatest evil being in The Lord of the Rings was just an underling, a minion, of Morgoth in the very beginning. That's what the peoples of the First Age were up against. Heck, beings known as the Valar--angelic beings so powerful they could make Gandalf the White look like a mere Hobbit--could barely subdue him... mainly because Morgoth/Melkor was in the beginning the most powerful of all the Valar. And the most evil.

(I love The Silmarillion.)

Sarge, Ghost and Hogarth Wrightson like this.
  14. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Dr. Victor Frankenstein.

[​IMG]

Pretty much every scifi flick that plot revolves A.I. taking over the world or experiment gone wrong can be derived from Frankenstein.

Hogarth Wrightson likes this.
  15. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
  16. Hogarth Wrightson

Hogarth Wrightson Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 2, 2015
    Remember when I said in that other thread that it was the best thread ever? Totally taking that back now.

PCCViking likes this.
  17. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    This guy.

[​IMG]

Almost every movie he's in Stark is cleaning up after himself.

Dinos4Ever likes this.
  18. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    Funny, reminds me of another superhero...
    [​IMG]

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  19. Hogarth Wrightson

Jul 2, 2015
    Yeah, Arkham isn't a prison.

Also, Tony Stark champions the oppressed and saves people from murder. "Cleaning up after himself" aka "correcting his mistakes" is hardly villainous behavior. We should all be such villains.

20. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    I thought the Stark post was obviously facetious. Of course he's not a villain and neither is Batman.

21. Hogarth Wrightson

Jul 2, 2015
    Sometimes I take this stuff too seriously.

22. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    No worries. I've done more than my share of that on this board.

23. Hogarth Wrightson

Jul 2, 2015
    Most of my responses probably belong in "Knee-Jerk Reaction" thread. :p

24. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    My favourite comic and TV villain is Deathstroke, who's also my overall favourite villain.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My favourite movie villain is the Winter Soldier, even though he's a hero now.

[​IMG]

Some of my other favourite villains are Magneto, Doctor Doom, Deadshot, Ra's al Ghul, General Grievous, Embo, Bossk, Cad Bane, Boba Fett and Darth Maul.

25. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I'm going to put in a word for Geoffrey Hunt's no-holding back performance as Captain Barbossa from PotC. He was dangerous, untrustworthy, selfish, dishonest, and greedy, a really bad egg, but I couldn't help liking him. And all he really wanted was to eat an apple. Poor guy.