Tucson Who Believes that Padme Amidala is dead?

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by hal9k1, Mar 6, 2006.

?

Who Believes that padme amidala is dead?

Poll closed Mar 20, 2006.
Dead 6 vote(s) 60.0%
Alive 0 vote(s) 0.0%
I'm in Denial 0 vote(s) 0.0%
Yodaa put her in a miroku trance, she's not really dead 1 vote(s) 10.0%
I just don't care 0 vote(s) 0.0%
What about Bobba Fett, he's alive right? 1 vote(s) 10.0%
This is a stupid Poll 2 vote(s) 20.0%
Moderators: DieWompRatDie
  1. hal9k1 Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Yes, I know I can't spell 8-}

After casting a ballet, explain why this is your belief. Please try to convince other members why your view is correct. You have 14 days to discuss and vote.
  2. hal9k1 Jedi Padawan

star 4
    I think she is dead, BUT how she died and when has never sat well with me.
    Someone so strong (from the past 2 films) to just "give up" and die even after she has 2 children to live for, just because she was betrayed and lost her husband? I never bought that whole thing, I always chalked it up to bad writing (sorry, thats my oppinion)
    Same thing happened when I wa a child and saw Jedi, Luke and Leia bing siblings just took me out fo the story. It just made the galaxy that the story was being told in, from a few peoples point of view of a galatic civil war, just seem a bit too small.
  3. cathiecat Jedi Master

star 4
    okay.. while I think that by the time Luke meets up with Leia on the DeathStar that Padme is dead I do believe that Padme lived on beyond the credits rolling on Revenge of the Sith. My thoughts are that Yaddle taught Yoda the ancient Jedi technique of Morichro and that Yoda knowing that Padme was needed to save the Republic.. but also that Padme's children were not safe with her on Coruscant decided to take action by putting Padme into a Morichro trance and allowing everyone to believe she had died. At this point Padme's life functions did all but cease to exist.. she was in such a deep trance she appeared to be dead.. and with Morichro it slowly slows the body functions down in such a way that it appears to anyone overseeing Padme that she would be dying for reasons that could not be explained. Also.. Yoda leans on his cane just as Padme says her last words to Obi Wan.. Yoda looks as if he is exhausted.. and he would be very exhausted indeed if he had just performed Morichro as it is a very difficult force feat to perform on anyone.. and dangerous since if you overdo it you CAN kill the person. At a certain point in time Yoda would then reawaken Padme and explain to her all that had transpired while she slept.. at this time all things would be explained and Padme while wanting to see her children would know it was not safe.. so she would stay in hiding going from place to place helping the Rebellion in ways perhaps no one else could.. and at some point might be Leia's nursemaid/nanny for a short while on Alderaan.. just to be able to see her for a short while... while Luke never met her.. it seems it might be that she saw him at some point.. all of this makes sense as in the novelization of Return of the Jedi ...Luke and Leia both have memories of Padme.. and don't give me the only the movies count.. if only the movies counted no one would bother to read the books.. you can say what you want.. but Lucas contradicts himself so often.. no reason for me to believe otherwise.. so in my very informed and thought out opinion Padme lived beyond the end of ROTS.
  4. Mugen Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Nah...she is dead..as a doornail. Why then was she in a casket...taking a nap?? Come to grips Cat..she bit the bullet and is ready steady DEADY! :p
  5. hal9k1 Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Trying to understand....

OK, where did you get this idea from? I've never heard of the trance before you mentioned it.

Yoda had the same basic look when he felt the Jedi die in the temple, same look when Padme died (hurt, dispair, loss, grieving).

Lucas tends to contradict himself, whenever he makes changes to his stories, even the novels don't jive with the films.

But you are correct in that Leia rememberd her mother, that never was explained. Maybe it will be in "Ep.1-3:SE:2009:3D:HD" editions

6. Boga-the-Magnificent Jedi Padawan

star 4
    I read a fan fiction one time about this and the fan fic dealt with it as Obiwan had implanted the memories of Padme in Leia so that when Luke revealed to her that she was his sister she'd remember.

I don't like the way that the movie portrayed Padme. She went from being this strong, kickbutt force to be contended with to being very wimpy.

HOWEVER! No matter who the woman is pregnancy takes a toll on their emotions and hormones :eek: [face_worried] :_| ]-}

If Unkie George hadn't editted the way he did and had included more of the scenes with Padme meeting with the future Rebellion leaders and confronting Palpy we would have had an easier time believing her death.

To me this is more of an editting problem than a plotline problem. In the novelization she does meet with Palpatine and she does meet with Mon Mothma, et al.
  7. hal9k1 Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Interesting, being a Man I never would have though of that, good point. Does not justify the character?s actions, but a good observation.
  8. Mugen Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Maybe force sensitives have a better memory than regular people...so that would explain how Leia would remember Padme's face in the misery of a woman who just gave birth and supposedly had nothing to live for...not even twins. [face_shame_on_you]
  9. hal9k1 Jedi Padawan

star 4
    I'm not disagreeing, but Luke did ask Leia "Do you remember your mother? Your REAL mother".

From the Revenge of the Jedi script/novel:

When your father left, he didn't know your
    mother was pregnant. Your mother and I knew
    he would find out eventually, but we wanted
    to keep you both as safe as possible, for as
    long as possible. So I took you to live with
    my brother Owen on Tatooine... and your mother
    took Leia to live as the daughter of Senator
    Organa, on Alderaan.

This almost gives Cat a leg to stand on, so to speak. Too bad Lucas changed this (again).
  10. Mugen Jedi Padawan

star 4
    ok, I retracted my statement previous with another idea...
  11. hal9k1 Jedi Padawan

star 4
    .... and that idea is? I think I got lost somehow.
  12. Mugen Jedi Padawan

star 4
    No Dame, this was...durr durrr :rolleyes:
  13. hal9k1 Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Sorry, I guess I'm acting like a clone, just mindless, following orders with no independent thought. :p
  14. dialswiftjustice Jedi Master

star 4
    Shes DEAD! Look! Heres Vader Kneeling at her grave to prove it! The grave thats she is IN!

[image=http://www.geocities.com/fuchajumana/grave1.jpg]
  15. hal9k1 Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Padmé was devastated by Anakin's transformation. When her enraged husband witnessed Obi-Wan emerging from her starship, he jumped to the worst of conclusions. Anakin saw the most stinging in a long line of betrayals -- now his wife had brought his former mentor to Mustafar to kill him. Anakin raised his hand and caught Padmé in a telekinetic chokehold. Padmé gasped for breath as life began to escape from her.
    Anakin released his grip as he faced Obi-Wan, and Padmé collapsed. As Kenobi and Skywalker dueled in the Mustafar collection facility, C-3PO and R2-D2 faithfully carried her inert form aboard her starship. Despite the abbreviated medical suite aboard her ship, or the full medical facility at a refuge on Polis Massa, her life signs continued to dwindle.
    Padmé never knew what had become of Anakin. She never saw the damage he suffered from Kenobi's blade or the lava of Mustafar. She still felt there was good within him. With her dying breath, she tried to convince Obi-Wan of this.
    Before slipping away, Padmé remained strong enough to give birth. In the strange alien facility of Anakin's nightmares, she gave birth to twins -- Leia and Luke Skywalker. Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, and Bail Organa vowed to keep the children safe.
    Amidala's body was returned to Naboo. At a state funeral, thousands of Naboo citizens came to pay their respects to their beloved representative.

"slipping away" even in star wars land they can't say die or are they trying to avoid saying that..... [face_thinking]
  16. Mugen Jedi Padawan

star 4
    [image=http://winterwave.pri.ee/fan/waterdress/layout.jpg]
  17. hal9k1 Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Ummm.... is it me or is her eyes open?
  18. thatsMISTERwookiee Jedi Padawan

star 4

JEEPERS! CREEPERS! SHE'S OPENNED UP HER PEEPERS!
  19. hal9k1 Jedi Padawan

star 4
    [image=http://www.wayofthegeek.com/images/comics/Death-to-Jar-Jar.jpg]

At least here you know he's dead, that pic of Padme I don't know..... you would think someone would close her eyes for her. Unless......
  20. Mugen Jedi Padawan

star 4

A lightsaber would cauterize the wound..in that cartoon..Jar Jar is clearly bleeding from his head being cut from his body...BAD FORM!!!!!!!!!!!! (about the blood..good form about the killing of stupid Gungans) :p
  21. thatsMISTERwookiee Jedi Padawan

star 4

Sorry, Cat. At first I thought maybe Mugen had found "evidence" to support your Padme theory, because her eyes are partially open. But having looked at the same scene on the DVD, this photo had to be taken before/after the funeral scene was filmed, because it is not taken from the film. Three different camera angles, her eyes are CLOSED in all three.

Not that any of this is going to change your theory...
  22. cathiecat Jedi Master

star 4
    Indeed nothing will change my thoughts and my definite perception of what became of Padme'. Let me just say that I am a woman of independent thought.. and my thoughts remain the way they have always been.. with the character of Padme' having been strongwilled and a caring wife, mother, and fierce protector of the Republic.. she would not have died after giving birth because she lost the will to live.. the character of Padme' was by far stronger than I have ever been in my life and I can safely say nothing in my life would ever make me just give up and die because I was heartbroken by the love of my life, it would take someone weak to do that.. and Padme' was never weak.. as Hal has said.. bad storytelling.. but as I say.. if you believe she lived because of Yoda and Morichro then GL is a really awesome story teller and people are just not seeing the forest for the trees.. just because you SEE something.. does not make it so..
  23. Mugen Jedi Padawan

star 4
    And just because there are mind altering drugs in this world..it dosn't mean you have to take them..and make crazy theories... :D lol I am kidding, Cat. [face_batting]
  24. cathiecat Jedi Master

star 4
    my mind IS an altering drug.... or so it sometimes seems. it certainly seems to alter on occasion. [face_hypnotized] [face_thinking] :confused: ;)
  25. cathiecat Jedi Master

star 4
    I found this while surfing the net.. it quotes rick mccallum and GL.. I know all of you are not that interested in the whole padme issue.. but I find it interesting that this is still a plot hole that not only I feel is an issue... and RM's reasoning totally misses that in the novel Leia has more than just images.. she has actual memories, as does Luke.

Damien.. what book again, or was it the script that GL claims Luke and Leia were of different ages..

Return of the Jedi
    Although Padmé Amidala does not appear and is not even mentioned by name in the original trilogy, the first allusion to her as the mother of Luke and Leia is in Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi (1983), set in the year 4 ABY, 23 years after the events of Revenge of the Sith. While in the Ewok village on the forest moon of Endor, Luke informs Leia that Darth Vader is his father and that she is his sister. He asks her if she remembers her "real mother." Leia says that she remembers "just a little bit." She then explains that she "died when I was very young." Luke asks her what she remembers and she says, "Just images, really. Feelings." Leia goes on to say, "She was beautiful. Kind ... but sad." Luke then admits that he has no memories of his mother.[13]

No explanation is given in the film for how Leia could have remembered her "real mother" if she died in childbirth, nor has any official explanation been provided by director and creator George Lucas about this apparent plot hole.

It should be noted that in the original Return of the Jedi script when Obi-Wan Kenobi explains what happened to both Luke and Leia after their birth, the character we now know as Padmé was said to have survived and became a handmaiden to Bail Organa's wife, secretly raising Leia as her own child, just as Moses' mother Jochebed did. She later died three or four years after the birth. However, this part was deleted to shorten the scene because Lucas did not think it was necessary for the plot at the time. Lucas states in the 1997 book Star Wars: The Annotated Scripts that the

"part that I had never really developed is the death of Luke and Leia's mother. I had a back story for her in earlier drafts, but it basically didn't survive. When I got to JEDI, I wanted one of the kids to have some kind of memory of her because she will be a key figure in the new episodes I'm writing."

Moderators: DieWompRatDie