Amph Who can beat Superman?

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by Frosted_Lemon_Jedi, Nov 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frosted_Lemon_Jedi Jedi Youngling

Got the Idea Here

I know these topics are kind of cliche, but I love them.

Which characters in all of fiction can beat Post-Crisis Superman?

My answers would include, but not be limited to:

1. Galactus - Basically unstoppable. A Marvel God.

2. Batman - Dark Knight Returns. 'Nuff said. Pwnage.

3. Darkseid - On a good day, with no story lameness, I think Darkseid could beat Superman

4. Imperiex - Like Galactus, Superman would be an insect to Imperiex

5. An extremely powerful Sith or Jedi - Its debatable whether a lightsaber could cut Superman (most say no) but I think Superman's weakness to magic would constistute a weakness to the Force. Therefore, I think, one of the Top of the Top Jedi could kill Superman with a powerful Force attack.

Any other opinions? Other characters? Any input is welcome.

2. Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus

star 6
    The One Above All from Marvel.

Arguably the Hulk if he can do what Doomsday did.
  3. Frosted_Lemon_Jedi Jedi Youngling

Nah, Superman has thrashed the Hulk in every fight they have had.

I agree with your other choice though.
  4. Excellence Jedi Grand Master

star 7

Moth. Crawl into his brain, eat from within, and you're in very serious trouble indeed.
  5. MarcusP2 Games and Community Reaper

Manager
    star 6
    Superman v Hulk could not have happened canonically. Anyway, Superman would be outmatched in strength when compared to a very very POed Hulk, but he's too versatile and smarter and could take him down.

Hal Jordan could take him. Also X-Man. And Batman has no shot unless Superman isn't going all out and Batman can prepare. Because Supes would kill his ass in one hit otherwise.

Silver Surfer. Most definitely Spawn.
  6. NJOfan215 Force Ghost

star 5
    My comics knowledge isn't that expansive, but i could see hyperion from JMS's supreme power, the sentry, and the dark pheonix probably givng him a run for his money.
  7. MarcusP2 Games and Community Reaper

Manager
    star 6
    Hyperion pretty much is Superman, but I'd pick the original over him (though Supreme Power is awesome and everyone should read it.)

Sentry could beat him, I think. Though the Sentry could pretty much beat anyone, same with Dark Phoenix.

Edit: Also Doc Strange.
  8. OBI-BEN-KENOBI Jedi Grand Master

star 6
  9. Raven Administrator Emeritus

star 6

Superman vs. Batman comes down to who wants to win the most and who gets the drop on whom. Batman has no chance in a straight up fight, but he never goes anywhere near Superman without making sure his tactical options are open.

Wonder Woman has beaten Superman too.
  10. Mastadge Manager Emeritus

star 7
    This reminds me of a joke that was old when my father was young:

"You got a match?"

"Not since Superman died."
  11. Darth-Lando Chosen One

star 6
    Haven't read much Superman but I was wondering what sort of defenses he has against psychic attacks? Could Prof. X just turn off his brain if he wanted to?
  12. OBI-BEN-KENOBI Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Supes moves faster than thought. However he is theoretically susceptible to attacks from someone like Xavier.
  13. Darthsuperbatpooh Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    [image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v345/sifu1/supermanspidey.jpg]

LOL!!!

like this would ever really happen
  14. Frosted_Lemon_Jedi Jedi Youngling

Spiderman and the Hulk have advanced strength, but its not on the same level as Superman's, which is basically infinite.
  15. Panther50 Jedi Knight

star 3
    I remember reading that Superman was vulnerable to someone with magic based powers so they have a chance, the only person I can think of like that off the top of my head is Captain Marvel. I also remember reading that Supergirl was supposed to have the potential to be more powerful then Superman, but I can't remember if that was put to the test.
  16. Soontir-Fel Force Ghost

star 5
    Superman isn't actually weak toward magic attacks, it's just he has no defense against them. So a spell that effects a normal person would do the same thing against him.

And the Hulk wouldn't be able to beat Superman. His starting strength isn't high enough, and by the time he gets mad enough to go toe to toe with him, he'd be thrown into space.

Stop using DKR as a reference to Batman beating Superman. Why does everyone forget that throughout that whole fight, Supes wasn't trying? And even when he was, he has trying to not kill Bats.

And Spawn can't take him because Spawn sucks.

Darkseid could beat him because Darkseid can take ANYONE.
  17. Frosted_Lemon_Jedi Jedi Youngling

Correct

Correct.

Sorry buddy...one of the best moments ever in comics. It is, and will always be, the definitive statement on Batman vs. Superman.

I'd like to think so.
  18. Ender Sai Chosen One

star 9
    Hmmm, so you just gloss over the facts Soontir posts because you want Batman to win, huh? ;)

Like in Hush, when Batman knows Superman isn't trying?

Superman will womp Batman unless Batman prepares, and it's only because Superman won't thrash Batman witless. Not because he *can't*.

E_S
  19. Excellence Jedi Grand Master

star 7

I challenge anyone to tell me how Kent's clothes are also bulletproof in movies, when only his body is. Does that mean his beard and hair is damage proof too?
  20. Soontir-Fel Force Ghost

star 5
    Short answer, movie people are stupid.

Comic answer.

"The most common explanations for his invulnerability are Superman having a super-dense molecular structure and/or a supercharged bioelectric "aura" which acts as an invisible "force field" around his body within a few millimeters from his skin, and presumably within his body as well. The proximity of this field to his skin means that loose clothes, for example, may be burned off of him, while cloth that is close to his body is protected by the "aura;" This phenomenon is sometimes cited as Superman's reason for wearing a skin-tight bodysuit. It is sometimes implied that he can unconsciously extend this field to an undetermined extent to protect a greater area, allowing him to carry huge objects within the Earth's atmosphere and without gravity or inertia tearing them apart around his human-sized hands."
  21. severian28 Force Ghost

star 5
    Superman isnt invincible so technichally speaking anyone could beat him. I like the idea of a Monte Cristo-ish character like Batman being able to do it even though Supes is my main man in the comics.
  22. MarcusP2 Games and Community Reaper

Manager
    star 6
    Also, Radioactive Man could own Supes badly if you gave him a bit of time to work out kryptonite's radioactive signature.

I believe Wonder Woman has slit Supe's throat with her tiara before, or something. Anyone that's got some magic artifacts is in with a shot if they can survive long enough to use them. So, Baron Mordo. Dr Fate.
  23. DarthPhelps Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    What of Gladiator, of the Shi'ar Imperial Guard?

Maybe couldn't beat him, but perhaps it would end up a draw?
  24. MarcusP2 Games and Community Reaper

Manager
    star 6
    I think that's pretty much the same situation as Hyperion. I'd tend to think Superman would win because eventually Gladiator would get down on himself after he couldn't put Superman away and then Supes has the upper hand.

[image=http://www.corvusonline.net/thanos/dcdirectdick34.jpg]
  25. Frosted_Lemon_Jedi Jedi Youngling

Sure, if Superman and Batman were thrust together, and had to fight to the death, with no prior knowledge, yeah, Batman would have no chance.

But, Frank Miller's work remains the definitive statement on the issue. Batman's strengths (wealth, ingenuity, intelligence) allow him to outsmart and physically beat Superman.

And, there are no "facts" on the issue, whoever would win is whoever the story writers and editors say would win. In this case (and I think 1-2 others) Batman has got what it takes to beat Superman.

Just like with the Incredible Hulk. You can argue what you want, but the Hulk has lost to Superman more than once in stories.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.