main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Who can beat Superman?

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by Frosted_Lemon_Jedi, Nov 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Soontir-Fel

Soontir-Fel Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2001
    /slams head into desk.

Superman holds his breath while FLYING IN SPACE

Please tell me how any sort of choke would hurt him

HE FLIES THROUGH RED SUNS AND LIVES THROUGH IT

And it doesn't help anyone to where he's going to be if hits them faster then they can think about it.

2. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Don't dent your desk, Soontir. :p

As noted, a Force choke cannot harm a guy who can hold his breath longer than a Jedi. A Force shove cannot stop a guy who plants himself on the ground and is nearly impossible to move. The Jedi cannot reach the speeds of a Kryptonian. A Lightsaber just annoys him. BTW, Kryptonite is not crystal. It's a rock. It can be cut to look like a crystal, but it is just a rock. The only real crystal Kryptonite that has existed was in the Pre-Crisis days when Jewel Kryptonite existed. But it only works in the Phantom Zone and I don't think a Jedi wants to trap themselves in the Phantom Zone, because without the projector, they're stuck there. Post Crisis there are only four types, with a fifth created by Darkseid.

3. GavinStrife

GavinStrife Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 15, 2005
    Meh, depends on what you look at... Even in the latest movie, its clear-ish... you could focus a beam through it if you had a really pure sample. I know Superman movie canon and comic canon is different, but there is see-through Kryptonite in the comics as well. I assumed that anything you could focus a beam through could end up in a lightsaber, and we all know how resilient Kryptonite is...

That said, I get what you're saying...

4. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    The reason for its appearence in the films, especially Returns has to do with making it glow green. Namely the shiv that Lex used. The Kryptonite cylinder is much more solid and less crystal like. There's also the fact that Kryptonite might be unstable if used as a focusing crystal. It can be used as a power source, yes. Metallo proved that as did the Cyborg when he used a chunk to power Engine City. But focusing an energy beam through it will only damage it. Focus quantum energy through a chunk and it alters the composition, creating the multi colored chunks, with different properties. It can be infused with Kryptonian crystal technology, as shown in "Superman Returns" and "Up, Up & Away". But the crystals start to become brittle.

And even if it is possible to use a chunk of green or gold, Superman can stand the minimum distance and attack that way. Not to mention that if he has to, he'll go get a lead suit.

5. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    Holds his breath? I was under the impression that Supes doesn't need to breathe at all.

6. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    No, Kryptonians need oxygen just as humans do. He's always needed it. In the Pre Crisis days, he could hold his breath indefinately. Post Crisis, he could only go a couple of hours before he'd pass out from the lack of oxygen. In 1993, Superman regained his powers at the conclusion of "Reign Of The Supermen" which in turn altered his powers. His blood could become oxygenated, which allowed him to survive in space longer that previously. He only needs a suit to speak to others with, since there is no sound in space.

7. Soontir-Fel

Dec 18, 2001
    Man Action Comics 775 show why Supes is the ****.

[image=http://img83.imageshack.us/img83/2975/action77532ej8.jpg]

[image=http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/294/action77533jd3.jpg]

[image=http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/5200/action77534tk1.jpg]

[image=http://img329.imageshack.us/img329/6875/action77535ij5.jpg]

[image=http://img167.imageshack.us/img167/7347/action77536mw1.jpg]

8. Darth_Sabith

Darth_Sabith Jedi Master star 4

Oct 17, 2006
    Honestly under the right conditions anyone could kill superman but in his full power maybe goku and a few of the z warriors. Phinox and silver surfer could give him a good run for his money. Doomsday did kill him but like his foe supes evolved. Darksied really can't do it as long as sups doesn't hold back. I think only the writter could kill him but the question should be this onstead.
    How could kill and keep superman dead?
    If you mean his leadgend then he can't be killed. As a symbol then possibley Lex or some one who kills all he loves. I personality am a batman fan and could see the always prepared for anything bat take him down unless supes goes all out and strikes first. It all depends on situations. If superman went head to toe against wolverine or punisher while under a red sun then he's toast. Green Laterin could also go one on with the big blue but it'd be close.

9. StarscreamPrime

StarscreamPrime Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 9, 2006
    I've often speculated, not on so much who'd win, but what would happen should Superman and Wolverine engage in a fight. I mean, I know Supes can bend a ton of existant metals, but adamantium is supposed to be the MU's STRONGEST form of metal in existence. And since adamantium is supposed to be able to cut through near anything, would that mean Logan would score a few cuts and gouges on Supes?

(But realistically, even with Logan's healing abilities, the fight would still be in Clark's favor. I only just theorize this situation.)

10. MarcusP2

Jul 10, 2004
    Wolverine couldn't really touch the Sentry and got KOed in 2 punches. I think that's what would happen there. Sentry seemed to be grabbing his claws without ill effect.

11. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Correct. Logan couldn't take Sentry and has barely survived against Gladiator. Both are Superman archtypes. And as I said, unless Logan's claws are magic based, they won't hurt him. The Hulk and Juggernaut have rapid healing abilities and tough skin, but they can be cut or scratched. Superman's invulnerability makes it difficult to hurt him unless the conditions are right.

12. Lank_Pavail

Lank_Pavail Jedi Knight star 7

Sep 26, 2002
    Logan might get ONE shot in, if he had the element of complete surprise. But it would have to be a killer or a crippling blow, because Supes would drop him.

Captain Marvel could stand toe to toe with him, and probably bet him, since he's a magical being. Ditto Wonder Woman, because of her warrior experience. Batman only if he's got the battlefield all laid out and Supes isn't coming for blood at first.

On the Marvel side, Thor, battle experience, magic, and a big frickin' hammer. THat's all I got at the moment :p

13. THRAWNFAN

THRAWNFAN Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 23, 2007
    Doesn't superman get his powers from the sun? If thedeath star star(or sun crusher) blew up the sun, thats the end of superman.

14. Soontir-Fel

Dec 18, 2001
    Logan doesn't have any chance. Barring him getting magical abilities or kryptonite claws (which with Wolverine is a potentiality because HEY PLOT POINT POWER) he doesn't actually have any way of hurting Supes, even with surprise on his side.

Thats not the way it works.

15. Darth_Sabith

Darth_Sabith Jedi Master star 4

Oct 17, 2006
    Thor and goku beat superman in old issues of wizards what if vs.
    Silver Surfer, Phinox, onslaught, Wonder Woman, Martian Manhunter, GL Hal Jordan, Batman(right conditions), x-man, franklon richards(kid could create kryptonite or a red sun for crying out loud), Shazam(iffy), Captain Marvel,and death are the only ones I see with a real shot at beating the big S.

16. StarscreamPrime

StarscreamPrime Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 9, 2006
    I rather imagined Supes would still come out on top in the fight, but I just thought about the situation to consider if adamantium claws could actually cause any amount of damage on the Man of Steel.

17. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    If he's fighting Billy Baston before becoming the new Shazam, then he has to get him to say "Shazam" and hold on to him, then clamp his mouth shut. If he's fighting him as the new Shazam, Superman would have a tougher time. But he can get him to stay away from the Rock of Eternity until his power fades, then knock him out. If he's fighting Freddy as the new Cap, he just has to trick him into saying Shazam and then knock him out.

Didn't do her any good in "Sacrifice" or "For Tomorrow". Only if she resorts to using a sword to cut him. She maybe a warrior, but he's stronger and more durable.

See "Sacrifice" for when Batman is surprised.

See "JLA vs Avengers".

Nope. If Logan is lucky, his claws won't bend or break if he hits him hard enough.

First, the Death Star cannot destroy suns. Only the Sun Crusher could. Second, Superman's powers don't go away on principle. He still has them within his body and will fade within a few hours. Plenty enough time to take the weapons out and get to another system with a yellow sun.

18. MarcusP2

Jul 10, 2004
    If he's fighting Billy Baston before becoming the new Shazam, then he has to get him to say "Shazam" and hold on to him, then clamp his mouth shut. If he's fighting him as the new Shazam, Superman would have a tougher time. But he can get him to stay away from the Rock of Eternity until his power fades, then knock him out. If he's fighting Freddy as the new Cap, he just has to trick him into saying Shazam and then knock him out.

As if that is easy to do. Marvel and Supes are rather evenly matched. And 'wisdom of Solomon' and tricking someone it reverting to their normal form are not really compatible :p

19. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    You did read "Kingdom Come" and see "JLU: Clash"?

20. GavinStrife

Sep 15, 2005
    Theres also that one episode of Justice League Unlimited where they brawl... I know it doesn't fit into normal comic continuity, but the "Shazam!" tactic worked until Supes stopped him from saying it. From the look of it though, shouting Shazam was a desperation move. But, Billy's new form... we really haven't seen what he's capable of!

21. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    That was "Clash". ;) That scene is based on "Kingdom Come" where a brainwashed Captain Marvel was summoning the lightning and then moving, before it could hit him. It hit Superman instead and hurt him due to its magical properties. In the end, Superman grabbed Marvel turning him back into Billy. This was a tribute to that. As to the latter, that's what I was refering to. As the new Wizard, it's hard to tell what his limits are.

22. GavinStrife

Sep 15, 2005
    Yah, and what a scene it is... Man, "Kingdom Come" was a good book... If you haven't read it yet, you can get the paperback trade book for like $15 at B&N... do yourself a favor and pick it up. Billy/Captain Marvel always has a creepy look on his face though... [face_worried]

23. Soontir-Fel

Dec 18, 2001
    He also has a giant package.
    [image=http://static.flickr.com/31/44929208_7f405d1701_o.jpg]

I mean damn.

Billy Boy be packing.

Shazam indeed.

24. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Well, there's Absolute Kingdom Come. Lots of goodies.

25. MarcusP2

Jul 10, 2004
    Yes, I knew what you were referring to. But that assumes that that would work; I think it's fairly ridiculous for Supes to get hammered multiple times and then still be able to outspeed CM when they're fairly matched usually. Or for CM to fall for it. PIS, in my opinion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.