main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Who can Luke be compared to in terms of skill?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by NakkyGraphics, Feb 28, 2016.

1. NakkyGraphics

NakkyGraphics Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 12, 2015
    I know that in the OT, Luke was never as strong as ROTS Anakin. But how strong was he? I mean ESB and ROTJ Luke. Was ROTJ Luke as strong as ROTS Obi Wan? AOTC Anakin?

2. Nate787

Nate787 Jedi Master star 3

Jan 29, 2016
    Luke got pretty powerful pretty quick with just a crash-course training regimen from Yoda and some supplemental training from force ghost Obi Wan. He was a natural. Luke training from Padawan age takes out prime Anakin.

SateleNovelist11 likes this.
  3. True Sith

True Sith Jedi Master star 4

May 10, 2015
    Well, if you're talking just about lightsaber skills, I'd say he's probably inferior to AotC Anakin. Luke's style is really hack and slash, and lacks the finesse that we see from the Jedi in the PT. His raw force ability makes up for this though, and his power seems more controlled than AotC Anakin's, so I'd say a fight between ROTJ Luke and AotC Anakin would probably result in Luke winning. Just my take on it.

4. ObiWanKnowsMe

ObiWanKnowsMe Jedi Master star 4

Sep 7, 2015
    I would say in RotJ Luke was a little below RotS Obi-Wan... but not by much

5. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    In terms of where Luke was in ROTJ, his connection to the Force is still down there a ways. He's almost to the point of where Anakin was at the start of ROTS. We don't know if Luke had mastered lifting an X-Wing up, but Anakin probably could with his Jedi Interceptor. In terms of Lightsaber skills, he's nowhere near as proficient as Obi-wan or Anakin were.

SateleNovelist11 likes this.
  6. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    I think that ROTS Anakin could beat ROTJ Luke.

In the EU, Luke becomes more powerful than Yoda and Sidious. But that's years after ROTJ.

Darth Dnej likes this.
  7. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    In a Lightsaber duel, of course. In terms of Force powers, Luke's just as strong. Maybe not experienced, but he's got the same potential as his father.

8. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Luke's skills and Force powers are superhuman, that's just one of the perks of being Jedi. But in the end, that's not what makes Luke awesome. It was his integrity, his faith in friends and family, his utter refusal of the Dark side that makes him the greatest.

AniLukeRey and Rock-N-Roll Jedi like this.
  9. ThisHurricane

ThisHurricane Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 9, 2015
    He is great with the force but his skill with a lightsaber isn't comparable to anybody. He would lose to any jedi or sith from the pt in a saber duel.

10. Darth Dnej

Darth Dnej Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2013
    I would say that Luke in ROTJ is somewhat comparable to Obi-Wan in AOTC. Both are highly skilled defensive fighters, but are no match for the Sith of their era in normal circumstances. Let's not kid ourselves here, if Vader was not emotionally conflicted in ROTJ, he would have killed Luke within a minute or two.

11. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015
    Indeed, Darth Dnej.

Darth Dnej likes this.
  12. Darth Formidious

Darth Formidious Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2015
    I would say his lightsaber skills are lacking and unrefined. His ability is also very situational and not omnipresent in his duels. The ROTJ duel resulting in Darth Vader 'loosing' was mediated by the fact it was not DV's intention to kill Luke.

I would say Luke's lightsaber ability was similar to Kanan Jarrus.

13. SexyRey

SexyRey Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 23, 2015
    Obi-Wan slayed a Sith ten years prior to ATOC, so I wouldn't say Obi-Wan was no match for the Sith of the era. He also destroyed Anakin on Mustafar in his prime. I'd go so far as to say that Obi-wan was the mosr succesful against the Sith than any other Jedi from the movies. Luke was also emotionally conflicted in ROTJ and didn't even want to fight his father.

AniLukeRey likes this.
  14. jc1138

jc1138 Jedi Grand Master star 2

Nov 16, 2004
    I think, as far as lightsaber wielding (which can't really be divorced from connection to the force, cue GG) Luke (RotJ) would rank up there with the highest tier: Vader (post-suit, who I would put as the highest or greatest duelist--I agree that he isn't really trying against Luke in RotJ and he is moving away from the dark side throughout the film), Yoda, Sidious, Kenobi, Mace, Dooku. Among this tier 1, there would be a sense of "Any Given Sunday" in the mix, and each would have specific strengths and weaknesses against each of the others (for example, Dooku really seems to dominate Obi-Wan). I think Luke of RotJ, although among this lofty company, would demonstrate inconsistency as one of his particular weaknesses, as opposed to the reliability of, say, Obi-Wan or Dooku. He would also probably be less predictable as a fighter, as he was not trained in the traditions or standards of the Jedi/Sith (we see evidence of this in ESB and RotJ).

(Of course, keeping in mind the context of film-making and effects of the respective films when they were released, but I DO NOT BUY that prequel Jedi="prime of the Jedi" in lightsaber fighting, nor do I believe that the text of the films bear this out).

15. jc1138

jc1138 Jedi Grand Master star 2

Nov 16, 2004
    double post =(

16. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015
    I think that, in ROTJ, Luke is best compared to AOTC Kenobi.

17. Too-Gon Onbourbon

Too-Gon Onbourbon Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 23, 2016
    I disagree Luke was also not trying to kill Vader and was dominant. I think Luke's raw power was sky high but his skills still had a long ways to go even if deemed complete or he would have been able to catch and deflect the force lightening.