main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Who Cheered When Anakin Drew His Lightsaber Against Palpatine?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by RKMeibalane, Jan 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RKMeibalane

RKMeibalane Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 20, 2002
    I've watched this scene several times, and I think it may be one of the most underrated scenes in the entire Saga. It does a great job of illustrating the conflict that Anakin is feeling, and it also foreshadows Palpatine's death at his hands in ROTJ. Every time I watch the scene, there's always a small part of me hoping that Anakin tries to strike Sidious, even though I know that he won't.

2. darth_frared

darth_frared Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 24, 2005
    i didn't cheer.

but it's a thrilling moment, nonetheless.

3. Get_in_Gear

Get_in_Gear Jedi Youngling star 5

Nov 29, 2004
    Good Lord, no.
    We Brits are far to reserved to cheer at a movie...

;)

4. The_Chibi_Kiriyama

The_Chibi_Kiriyama Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 9, 2005
    I didn't cheer, because if you look at the scene you realize he was so sucked into Palpatine's influence and already so tainted by the Sith view of things that he wasn't going to do anything drastic. He only told the Masters that Palpatine was Sidious because his remaining Jedi upbringing compelled him to, and even then the lure of saving Padme was so strong that he made sure the same evil Sith wasn't killed. The second I saw Anakin get into the starfighter I knew where the rest of the 'confliction between loyalties' sidestory was going to lead the viewer to. I guess I was too pessimistic to believe that he would start doing good deeds that late into the movie.

5. Obi-Wan-1000

Obi-Wan-1000 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 11, 2005
    When I first saw the movie I was suprised about that scene, I all ways thought that when Palpatine tells Anakin that he is a sith I thought that Anakin would join him right away.

6. DUGGY

DUGGY Jedi Youngling star 4

Apr 23, 2005
    it was cool to see Anakin do what he knew was right, for about 3 seconds. but i always knew it was a Fruitless gesture. he still needs the Guy. so it was pointless.

7. Aeren_Starwing

Aeren_Starwing Jedi Youngling

Oct 20, 2005
    When I heard the snap-hiss of Anakin's lightsaber, I actually had a gleam of hope that he would make the right choice. In fact, all of his actions after that point up until the time he goes to save Palpatine actually made me think, "hey, Anakin's not so bad..." I actually started to desparately hope that he wouldn't turn to the dark side. Unfortunately, he completed his destiny.

8. TheCRZA

TheCRZA Jedi Padawan star 4

May 29, 2005
    It seemed rather meh because I knew it wouldn't go anywhere.
    It was anti-climatic...

9. JMN77

JMN77 Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 19, 2005
    I agree with those that said that it was obvious he would'nt
    do anything (hello, the OT?), regardless I did like seeing that
    simply because you do know he eventually joins him, it was
    cool seeing him hold a saber to the chin of his friend, mentor
    and future master.... for a brief time.

10. Kia-Ruse

Kia-Ruse Jedi Master star 1

Feb 4, 2003
    Anyone else notice that in this very brief moment, Anakin holds his lightsaber VERY differently than he does in any other moment of 'Sith?' By the very end of the hilt??! One handed?

Now granted, being consumed with lightsabering as I am, it was the first thing I noticed in this section, but it STILL stands out for me!

11. DeadDooku

DeadDooku Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 7, 2005
    Watch Palpatines hand in the scene when they are circling each other, Palpy was armed and ready to pull out his saber in his sleeve if need be

12. TrueJedi

TrueJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 22, 2000
    I didn't cheer but I was surprised.

13. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    It was interesting and it had some great acting. You can tell Anakin is extremely conflicted when he says I`d certainly like to

14. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    I don't cheer in movie theaters, that's disrespectful to my fellow moviegoers. I did thoroughly enjoy the scene though. :)

15. voodoopuuduu

voodoopuuduu Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 22, 2004
    Too much tension in that scene to cheer. It would have been out of place in my theater.

16. SithOWNtheJedi

SithOWNtheJedi Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 29, 2005
    Hard to feel too much emotion about him drawing his saber because everyone and their momma knows hes not going to kill him then

17. SithOWNtheJedi

SithOWNtheJedi Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 29, 2005
    Hard to feel too much emotion about him drawing his saber because everyone and their momma knows hes not going to kill him then

And as many have said, it would be inappropriate to cheer at that scene in the theatres ive been in

18. JediPrettyBoy

JediPrettyBoy Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 10, 2005
  19. Lord_Pilaf

Lord_Pilaf Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 9, 2006
    Haha...I noticed that, too. It's one of those things that requires multiple viewings to understand. (The spring loaded saber thing he has in his sleeve. It's based on a real-life espionage device used for daggers and sometimes pistols)

20. Mr-H

Mr-H Jedi Youngling

Jan 9, 2006
    The only timed I have ever cheered was when Yoda first drew his lightsaber in AoTC.

21. Mr-H

Mr-H Jedi Youngling

Jan 9, 2006
    I cheered when Yoda first drew his lightsaber in AoTC. The scene in question didn't affect me much.

22. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    No, I didn't cheer, becouse we all know the final outcome of the movie. But I was glad.

23. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    That made me like Anakin and hope that he would do what was right, even though I mentally knew there was no way thanks to a little thing called the OT.

24. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    Well... no... the scene seemed rather anti-climatic to me.

25. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    I liked it, it was a very nice touch. It showed that Anakin hadn't given up on what he believed in yet, that had faith in good defeating evil.

For those saying it was anti-climatic, look at it this way...think about how electric it's going to be for a first time I-VI viewer. They don't know what's due to happen to Anakin and Palpatine, and don't know if he may actually defeat or kill the Dark Lord then and there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.