main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Who Cheered When Anakin Drew His Lightsaber Against Palpatine?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by RKMeibalane, Jan 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thechozn1

thechozn1 Jedi Master star 4

May 15, 2005
    It was kinda like...

:eek: ...=D= ...:( in about 7 seconds

2. AndywanCanoli

AndywanCanoli Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 28, 2003
    You bring up a very good point. This scene does prefigure Anakin's destruction of Palpatine. The difference between this "wanting to kill Palpatine" in ROTS and ROTJ is that in ROTS Anakin loved power. In ROTJ, Anakin loved his son and couldn't bear to see his son turn into fried rice, thus fulfilling his destiny.

3. Anakinhot24

Anakinhot24 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 27, 2005
    I didn't cheer in the movie theatre for this scene but this scene was very tension-filled. I loved the way Anakin circled Palpatine and you could see Palps feeding off Anakin's anger, so to speak. I wanted Anakin to strike him down but I knew it wouldn't happen. This scene was amazing.:)

4. Darth_Turkey

Darth_Turkey Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 5, 2004
    He he, you may actually be right there dude. I've never once in 27 years been to a movie (any movie) where someone has cheered, applauded or shouted at events on sceen. I went to the midnight premier of ROTS and there were a few wistles and the stamping of feet when it opened, but not much else. No offence to any Americans, but what is it with all this "Who cheered at this point" or "who shouted when so-and-so did this" or "10 things to shout out durin ROST" threads?

I say Americans cos i had a pirate copy of Alins V's Predator from the states, and every single time a battle ended you could hear the audience burst into applause and shouts of "Yeah!" or "Woo-Hoo" went on for ages. This happened maybe a dozen times . . . the movie were'nt even that great to be fair. So i'm a little interested. Are you lot far too exitable or are we too reserved?

I've never felt the urge to shout, cheer or applaud durin any movie, despite how good it is or how much it might blow me away. Is it just me? :0)

5. OBIWAN-JR

OBIWAN-JR Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 25, 2002
    I would agree that ordinarily I don't find myself a cheerin' and a whoopin' at movies very often. But the prequels have been an exception.

I went to the opening three performances at the Leicester Square Odeon in London, and there were a whole bunch of people cheering and crying the whole way through.

And I was right there with 'em.

-JR :)

6. Carnage04

Carnage04 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 8, 2005

I was semi-spoiled going in but did not know how this scene went down. When he pulled the blade I thought we might see a little tiny Master Vs. Apprentice Duel before Anakin went running off in confusion. Anakin's startled reaction was just great. I really thought he may attack. What followed was even better than I had anticipated. I thought this was one of the best scenes in the entire Saga. I love Palpatine's lines. "Are you going to kill me" (Acting a tad nervous) "I would certainly like to" (Anakin, on the verge of crying and very confused). Then the look...and the delivery "I know you would, I can feel your anger. Gives you PURPOSE, makes you STRONG". At that point, Anakin actually made the proper decision. He was about to kill out of anger. He would calmly go back to the council and explain what is going on. He needed to clear his head. Then, as Anakin has one foot out the door, Palpatine lays the bait out so perfectly. "But you aren't sure of their intentions..." Palpatine had that planned out to perfection. Get Anakin Mad. Get the Jedi to come be "Traitors". Let his final words to Anakin Skywalker be something that Anakin would think about much more intensly than any other lame and non concrete ideal that he ever meditated on.

Carnage

7. s0Lstar18

s0Lstar18 Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 26, 2005
    How great would that had been to see them duel and Anakin destroys him or doesn't get chopped up and goed on to become 2x as powerful as the Sids it would've been a marvel to behold.

8. Carnage04

Mar 8, 2005
    What did you say? How marvelous of a plot hole?

;)

Carnage

9. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    Well when I first saw it I was like 'OH MAN HE'S GONNA TRY AND DO IT!'

But no matter what he becomes Vader,so it was very suspenseful. He should've tried to take him down and have him pwned,like come on,that would've been cooler.

10. JediCouncilMaster

JediCouncilMaster Jedi Youngling star 6

Jun 23, 2005
    Hell yeah I cheered in the theater and a bunch of people next to me was like "Shh! Be quiet moron!" Put me on the edge of the seat.

11. SithHappensIII

SithHappensIII Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 13, 2005
    you Brits are boring then (no offense, though)

cheering was what made the first viewing fun

12. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
    Originally Anakin didn't go back to tell Mace about Palpatine. Originally he stayed there until Mace and his possey showed up, at which point he stood on the side lines while Mace confronted Palpatine. In this version, Palpatine grabs Anakin's saber to take out Mace's possey and fight Mace. That's why in the final version there are scenes where Palpatine is using Anakin's hilt, even though he has a red blade.

13. CBright7831

CBright7831 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 23, 2004
    I've seen pictures of this scene, and was wondering what made Mace and crew draw their lightsabers against Palpatine (without knowing he was a Sith). Did Anakin tell them?

14. Magical_Maestro

Magical_Maestro Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 25, 2005
    I didn't cheer, but it was very cool intense scene nonetheless. I was hoping Anakin was maybe going to attack him, you know slap him around a bit, but then change his mind once Palps starts talking the spiel about being the only one who can help save his wife. Still a nice scene though as is. Resonates lots of tension just knowing Anakin could have ended it all right then and there had he of chosen to.

15. lorn_zahl

lorn_zahl Jedi Master star 4

Oct 19, 2002
    This is by far one of my favorite scenes in the movie and really reflects on the tragedy that is Anakin Skywalker. With one flick of the wrist, he could have fulfilled the prophecy.

I too was a bit surprised by this scene though knowing the OT as well as I did, I didn't get too excited about it.

Oh btw...it's my oppinion that Anakin was well on his way as soon as he heard Palpatine's little story.

"I know there are things about the force they are not telling me."

16. Master_Mace_Windows

Master_Mace_Windows Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 18, 2005
    Why should I cheer?

For all we know, he would not do it.

17. battlewars

battlewars Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 5, 2005
    to answer darth turkeys question yes americans are loud, so much so that if you are reserved people always like to ask 'whats wrong?' like your either sick or mad at something. btw i think ive clapped a couple of times most notably at the end of the original original star wars when it was locally rereleased pre special edition, yeah!

18. Carnage04

Mar 8, 2005
    Perhaps there aren't midnight showings in England? ;) I went to other showings of Star Wars films and they were usually pretty reserved. The midnight showings that were packed with Star Wars geeks were usually pretty loud and fun. As long as there wasn't anyone standing up in front of me blocking my view the entire movie, I don't care, even a fight lightsabres lifted high into the air is fine with me! I mean, I'll probably see RoTS a couple dozen times in my life. I'll NEVER again be at the first showing of a Star Wars movie that NOONE (Except the people who pirated bootleg movies) has seen before. Hoot, Clap, have fun. Of course, most of the people at the midnight showings will probably also see the movie a couple dozen more times also.

Carnage

19. Sidious_T

Sidious_T Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 2, 2004
    I don't think there is a reason to cheer this scene. He drew the saber...so what? You knew he wasn't going to use it on him anyway. Pointless to cheer it.

20. Tyranus_the_Hutt

Tyranus_the_Hutt Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 14, 2004
    No offence to any Americans, but what is it with all this "Who cheered at this point" or "who shouted when so-and-so did this" or "10 things to shout out durin ROST" threads?

I?ve attended movie showings at numerous venues in different countries, and generalizations aside, I think that the audience response is largely (but not exclusively) dependant upon the location of the movie theater, the film, and the type of audience said picture draws. I don?t purport to be an anthropologist of any sort, but I do see enough movies in enough different locales to be able to make some logical deductions based solely upon my experiences. Yes, there are some notoriously raucous environments (Cannes comes to mind), but to make large-scale generalizations is not necessarily useful. Anyway, perhaps we should just move on from this part of the discussion.

This is by far one of my favorite scenes in the movie and really reflects on the tragedy that is Anakin Skywalker. With one flick of the wrist, he could have fulfilled the prophecy.

There have been a number of complaints in this thread about how it is that the scene in question is 'anti-climactic' since we already know that Anakin does not kill Palpatine, but for those viewers who have not had the opportunity to experience the movies based upon their structural chronology (I-VI), Lucas exploits the sequence for its ironic value. When you consider Anakin?s fate at the end of "Episode III," and then extrapolate that into the next trilogy, there is a degree of melancholy inherent to the scene in which he draws his lightsaber against Palpatine; the passage works in a larger context because you recognize that Anakin had an opportunity to kill the person who would ultimately enslave and exploit him. It is Ian McDiarmid?s job, then, to convincingly portray his character in a manner that makes Palpatine?s successful dissuasion of Anakin seem plausible. Using dulcet vocal rhythms to coax the meticulous and sinewy colloquy from his person, McDiarmid presents a rich and textured portrait of evil ? a being who takes delight in the fruits of his own perfidy. Listen to the way McDiarmid uses his voice to alter the tone of the conversation; "My mentor taught me everything about the Force...even the nature of the dark side," he says to the troubled Skywalker, and Lucas' visual scheme ? a wide shot in which Anakin stops while Palpatine steps forward while speaking the aforementioned line - gives some nice embellishment to the internal drama of this moment. The sequence is nicely structured, building incrementally through performance, dialogue, and composition to generate a kind of interpersonal jeopardy that is all the more interesting because we already know the outcome. Hayden Christensen, as Anakin, has the more thankless role here, but he acquits himself nicely by portraying his character?s internal conflict using technical affectations that are carried in both his speech and appearance. The heavy lifting is left to McDiarmid, who gives this scene its energy ? "Only through me can you achieve a power greater than any Jedi. Learn to know the dark side of the Force, Anakin, and you will be able to save your wife from certain death," he says, and McDiarmid ends this flawless delivery with a marked, duplicitous smile ? his aged, sunken features contorting to display a meretricious wisdom. If Christensen?s exclamation of "You?re the Sith Lord!" is somewhat less than overwhelming, then McDiarmid?s controlled performance more than makes up for its shortcomings. The way Palpatine uses the precision of his verbiage to penetrate Anakin?s psyche is beautifully negotiated by McDiarmid, which culminates in a moment of delicious villainy: "I can feel your anger. It gives you focus, makes you stronger!" It is at this point that Anakin switches off his lightsaber and decides instead to turn Palpatine over to the Jedi, concluding a passage that is efficient and well-acted.

And to answer the question being posed in this thread, no, I did not cheer.

21. darthvaderv

darthvaderv Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2005
    Back to the original question. It was interesting what the lightsaber meant to Palps when it was drawn. After all when a saber is ignighted in that situation it normally starts a nice duel.

Anakin vs Palpatine....[face_thinking] Nice.......

22. brook_33

brook_33 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 30, 2003
    Everytime I watch the movie and see that scene I'm begging Anakin to just do it now and end it now.

23. darth_ral

darth_ral Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 9, 2004
    lots of people are saying it was anticlimactic, well, obviously you knew the outcome, i would like to hear the opinion of some people who have shown it to people for the first time without seeing the OT yet

24. yoshifett

yoshifett Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 17, 2004
    I wasn't cheering...it was more like...I don't know. When Anakin ignites his saber and says "YOUR THE SITH LORD!" it reminds me of Mace's "I sense a plot to destroy the Jedi."

It's kind of a "Duh!" moment more than anything. Palpatine is superb in that scene though. His reaction to Anakin is priceless.

25. Lord_NoONE

Lord_NoONE Jedi Master star 5

Dec 17, 2001
    I kind of yawned at that moment.

[face_plain]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.