main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT who could have defeated/overthrown palpatine?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by jnrssa, Feb 7, 2013.

1. K'Kruhk

K'Kruhk Jedi Master star 4

Dec 11, 2011
    Why not? If two people together can't defeat one person, then how would those same two people together be able to defeat someone who is much, much stronger?

2. EMPEROR_WINDU

EMPEROR_WINDU Force Ghost star 5

Nov 23, 2002
    Yoda obviously didn't think enough of Obi-Wan's abilities to send him against the Emperor at the end of ROTS, I just don't see the pair taking down the Dark Lord.

3. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    I don't believe you. I can't.

4. CloneTrooperFox

CloneTrooperFox Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 27, 2013
    Mace for sure.

5. sg1A

sg1A Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 20, 2013
    I just remember Sidious taking on a bunch of Jedi Masters that had come to take him into custody.That right there is a feat in and of itself that just means he was powerful.

My two man team Anakin and Obi-Wan. Anakin as a Jedi Knight and Obi-Wan Jedi Master

6. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I go with the two man team the movies show us: Luke and Anakin. Luke to lie there screaming and Anakin to finally do the right thing and hurl Palpatine down the shaft. It takes Luke to push Anakin to redeem himself, and his doing so proves that the prophecy was right and Anakin was the chosen one. So from that angle, anything else is irrelevant, because nobody but Anakin could have done it, and he waited a long time to try.

ROTS reinforces this when it shows Palpatine own three Jedi masters in about 15 seconds, and then continue to toy with Mace until Anakin arrives. Yes, I know that Mace kicks his face and yes, I know what Lucas says on the DVD commentary... but no way do I see that as Mace actually beating Palpatine. Palpatine drags it out until Anakin gets there, and has Anakin walk in to see exactly what he wants Anakin to see: Palpatine on the floor, at the end of Mace's lightsaber.

7. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Why should Windu not win? The only time Palpatine kicks ass in combat is when killing a bunch of redshirts. He fought Yoda to a standstill, that's about it as far as accomplishments in lightsaber fighting go.

Those were redshirts. Killing a bunch of redshirts isn't a very impressive feat imo.

The jedi master title doesn't mean someone is a powerful fighter. I think Jocasta Nu was a jedi master also.

8. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    The novelization though, did emphasis their skill. And at least one- Kit Fisto, the green guy with the head tentacles- was shown to be very skilled in the The Cestus Deception novel- which I think was published before RoTS came out.

9. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    I know, I've read some EU works about these Jedi. But that still doesn't change a thing about them serving as disposable redshirts in the movie. They had less personality than random stormtrooper 187.

10. Sistros

Sistros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 24, 2010
    Palpatine drags it out until Anakin gets there, and has Anakin walk in to see exactly what he wants Anakin to see: Palpatine on the floor, at the end of Mace's lightsaber.

---

as much as i'd love to debate this opinion,

I still have the bold and glaring post of SSS imprinted on my mind fom page 2, so i can't :(

:p

11. sg1A

Feb 20, 2013
    I didnt mean if you hold the title Jedi master you are ultimately a supremely powerful being. But in star wars a jedi master is strong in both physical and mental strength, and is not something that should be ignored, when u here Jedi Master your mind should think twice before trying to cross him/her.

12. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    ROTS tells us otherwise. We see how a couple of Jedi are easily killed by stormtroopers, Palpatine randomly slaughters a few and apparently Vader and his troops were able to slaughter the entire temple (containing at least some jedi masters, I think).
    You become a jedi master if you are especially wise or have trained a pupil. Raw power alone is not as important to the jedi order (see scene where Anakin doesn't get his council seat).

13. bellatroll

bellatroll Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 21, 2013
    Virtually anyone with half a brain cell could have defeated him or foiled his plans.

14. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    If Obi-Wan didn't make Anakin's ass a cripple, he would have been the Emperor.

15. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Nah, I don't believe that interpretation.
    Most important point against it: Vader had no Sith training whatsoever. I don't think it is possible to learn all the dark side techniques in a couple of hours/days.
    And later Vader probably cooled down enough to realize that slaughtering your superior doesn't automatically make you his heir. Vader had no political skills at the time, barely any friends, little experience... How should he ever hope to rule an empire?
    He needed those 25 years to learn everything about being a Sith and a ruler.

16. sg1A

Feb 20, 2013
    Im just answering that Clone troopers , enough of them have the ability to overwhelm a jedi. Eventually there is to many laser blasts to block and u could tire from exhaustion no matter how much you use the force to help u. It's oldest battle tactic overwhelm them with numbers. Unless said specefic scene had a few troopers where a couple of jedi where killed by a small amount, Im done ranting.

17. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Most of the Jedi we've seen were killed by ~3 clones, not "many".

Mundi is killed after deflecting a couple blasts (really not many, about 8) for five seconds . Aayla is killed by three troopers. Plo Koon is killed by two fighter pilots. Eeth Koth is killed by two speederbike pilots.

18. Lord Chazza

Lord Chazza Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2013
    My 2 man team:

TK-421 and TK-422

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  19. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    You mean Stass Allie?

rumsmuggler likes this.
  20. Darth kRud

Darth kRud Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 1, 2012
    Mace had three Jedi with him and couldn't get it done.

21. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Could be. It was hard to see in the movie.

22. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    No it wasn't. It's pretty easy to see who it is.

23. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Eeth Koth is a dude.

eht13 and CT-867-5309 like this.
  24. Darkskar95

Darkskar95 Jedi Master star 1

Feb 25, 2013
    Starkiller and Galen Marek :p

25. TheMadHatter

TheMadHatter Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2009
    No it wasn't. It's pretty easy to see who it is.

--

no need to be antagonistic dude,

it might not have been clear to him,

we don't all have 20/20 vision

Darth_Pevra likes this.