main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT who could have defeated/overthrown palpatine?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by jnrssa, Feb 7, 2013.

1. Klingon Padawan

Klingon Padawan Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 5, 2013
    Luke and Vader
    Mace Windu and Anakin
    Anakin and Obi Wan
    Obi Wan and Mace Windu

Obi Wan wasn't strong enough to kill Sidious, and neither was Yoda. I don't think an Obi Wan-Yoda team could have killed Palpatine. Obi Wan could only do it if he had Anakin or Mace Windu's help.

2. DARTHSHAME

DARTHSHAME Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2003
    I go with:
    Yoda and Mace
    Yoda and Anakin
    Mace and Anakin.

Klingon Padawan likes this.
  3. HighlanderC

HighlanderC Jedi Master star 1

May 26, 2005
    ROTS Anakin ALone.

DARTHSHAME and Klingon Padawan like this.
  4. DARTHSHAME

Dec 19, 2003
    Yes, which is the tragic thing of it all.

5. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    No way. Seriously, no way in hell.

Dark side Anakin has no experience whatsoever with the dark side.
    Good Anakin is emotionally vulnerable. Palpatine could easily manipulate him into dropping his guard.

6. DARTHSHAME

Dec 19, 2003
    I think when it comes to Anakin one must discuss potential. Even Anakin tells Padme of his plans to overthrow him. Without his injuries, Anakin would have developed the ability to defeat him. George Lucas has stated Anakin would have defeated Palpatine had he not been injured.

7. Klingon Padawan

Mar 5, 2013
    Mace and Yoda
    Anakin and Yoda
    Qui Gon and Yoda
    Qui Gon and Anakin

8. Orochi Oni

Orochi Oni Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 8, 2013
    If Obi-Wan had agreed to join Dooku, they would have taken him out.

9. Klingon Padawan

Mar 5, 2013
    That's possible, but I don't think Obi Wan could have killed Palpatine alone. Yoda said it himself in ROTS, "To fight this Lord Sidious, strong enough you are not".

10. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    George Lucas could through the power of retcon.

11. DARTHSHAME

Dec 19, 2003
    Interesting view. I have my doubts about their ability to do so. However, I admit I had not thought of the combination. I would still have my money on Palpatine. Obi-Wan is a master of Soresu. It is mostly a defensive form and with Palpatine I think you would have to keep up the pressure with a balance of offense and defense. Plus, I do not know if Obi-Wan has the Force power to face Palpatine. Yoda, doubted this in ROTS. Dooku, despite his age, remained a formidable opponent. However, Makashi is a decent lightsaber offensive form, but lacks great kinetic power (As noted in the ROTS novelization). I doubt it would have overwhelmed Palpatine. Together, Palpatine would have separated them and then defeated them individually. (See Maul and Savage Oppress fight) Most people on this thread have selected a combination involving Yoda, Mace, and Anakin. What they all have in common, is great Force power and great lightsaber skills. In addition, they were the only Jedi acknowledged by Lucas who were either on par with Palpatine or could have defeated him alone (Anakin).

12. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi SWC Jedi Draft Champion star 6 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 30, 2012
    Yoda and Windu
    Yoda and Obi-Wan
    Yoda and Anakin
    Windu and Obi-Wan
    Windu and Anakin
    Obi-Wan and Anakin might be able to, but it depends how much stronger Sidious was than Dooku.

And if you're including villains:
    Dooku and Maul
    Dooku and Grievous
    Dooku and Ventress
    Dooku and Pong Krell
    Grievous and Maul (maybe)
    Grievous and Ventress (maybe)
    Grievous and Pong Krell (maybe, I'd like to see Sidious try and defend himself against eight lightsaber blades!)

13. Sidious69

Sidious69 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2004
    Only Anakin in his JEDI PRIME could. (Hence The Chosen One)

That is why Sidious had to turn him. (And started early on he did)

Any other duo would get obliterated like Darth Sidious did to Darth Maul and his brother in the Clone Wars.

As for Mace, c'mon!! Really??? Still???

The Mace duel was as STAGED as Palpatine's kidnapping in the beginning of the film. I know GL has some weak dialogues BUT the dialogues are there for this STAGED DUEL.

Palpatine was setting this DUEL up all the way from the Opera Scene about the Jedi wants to overthrow him.

Then Palpatine told Anakin he has the power to save Padme and Anakin STILL TURNED him down.

Well then, he has to show Anakin that the Jedi are out to destroy Palpatine then.

Anakin's last words to Palps was "I will quickly find the truth to all of this" while Palps last words to Anakin was "You do know, if the Jedi DESTROY me and chance of saving her would be lost."

And BEHOLD, Anakin showed up to an aggressive Mace and a defenseless Palps. What an UNBELIEVABLE COINCIDENCE.

Palpatine losing gave him the excuse to the Senate for his Order 66 and to finally turn the conflicted Anakin. GOOD THING Palpatine cowered in the corner and couldn't get up from Mace's mighty kick (even though he could get up easily with agility from a Yoda Force Push later on 8-})

Palpatine HAS TO LOSE people!!! It's the only way to FINALLY turn Anakin and to frame the Jedi Order.

And people are taking that GL comments about when Palpatine was faking out of context. He was simply describing the scene.

GL also said in this scene where Palpatine was KIDNAPPED by the Separatists blah blah....

...Now was Palpatine REALLY KIDNAPPED????? Of course NOT. It's understood that that was STAGED even though GL never said that was staged.

Dialogue Mace fans, go listen to it or read it.

14. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Listen to Lucas.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  15. CaptainRex115

CaptainRex115 Jedi Padawan star 3

Jan 11, 2013
    You don't need a 2 man team lol...Mace can win this, Yoda can win this, Anakin can defiantly win this and so can obiwan. Grievous and dooku together would win as well

16. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    Regardless of what Lucas said, I was always under the impression that Palpatine could have killed Mace Windu without assistance but instead used the situation to his advantage once Anakin came into the picture.

In my honest opinion, the only person who could beat Palpatine is the one who did: The Chosen One, Anakin Skywalker.

eht13 likes this.
  17. Sidious69

May 19, 2004
    When did GL answered this???

If you are referring to the ROTS commentary then the same GL also said Palptine was kidnapped by Grievous in this scene. Yup so Palpatine is no match for Greivous either then LOL. Didn't Dooku know Palpatine is Sidious?? Silly bad guys and their uncoordinated plans.

Any two man team Without Anakin in JEDI PRIME would end up like this:

18. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Yes...

19. Darth Ruian

Darth Ruian Jedi Youngling

Jan 21, 2013
    You are a fool. Sidious sensed that Anakin was coming. He let Mace win so Anakin would help him, knowing that if he died Padme would to. He knows Anakin cares more about Padme then he does Mace Windu.

20. Klingon Padawan

Mar 5, 2013
    Physical strength can be beaten by intelligence and knowing your enemy's weaknesses. Obi Wan defeated Anakin by knowing his fighting style, and also because of Anakin's over-confidence. Despite Anakin being a stronger Force user, Obi Wan won.

It's possible that Mace Windu could have done what Obi Wan did with Anakin, but only if he could be clever and find a way to best Sidious.

In the ROTS novelization, it states this.

"The Sith had changed. the Sith had grown, had adapted, had invested a thousand years' intensive study into every aspect of not only the Force but the Jedi lore itself, in preparation for exactly this day. The Sith had remade themselves."

Yoda and Mace Windu didn't have the knowledge to defeat such a powerful Sith. The only people who could kill Palpatine are Anakin and Luke.

21. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    Yeah, George Lucas said that Windu legitimately overpowered Palpatine, so nice try.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  22. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I like Lucas, but I think we all know that he can be a little free with his words at times... prone to speaking from the cuff, so to speak. This sounds more like something he would say when he was thinking about the deal he made with Samuel L. Jackson than it sounds like something that really reflects what's actually going on in the final cut of the movie itself.

23. Sidious69

May 19, 2004

Where is this quote from Lucas you are saying???

Mace was used by Palpatine.

Palpatine KNOWS he HAS TO LOSE that fight TO FINALLY Turn Anakin and to have VALID Reasons to the Senate about his Jedi Extinction and creation of an Empire.

If Palpatine KILLED Mace BEFORE Anakin shows up...then Anakin would still be conflicted and Palpatine would not have ANY VALID REASONS to the Senate for Order 66.

Anakin WAS THERE to HELP MACE arrest Palpatine Not betray his Jedi Family....and then BOOM.... Palpatine forced Anakin to FINALLY CHOOSE.

Palpatine has the CLONES in his pocket all this time BUT he could never have executed Order 66 UNTIL AFTER this STAGED DUEL.

If Sidious was not there to convert Anakin or to frame the Jedi Order, then this is the FATE of Mace or any other Force-User EXCEPT for Yoda and Anakin (in his Jedi Prime):

24. Sistros

Sistros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 24, 2010
    Where is this quote from Lucas you are saying???
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------

try the ROTS commentry :p

and using TCW to argue your point isn't worthy of those that don't watch it.

Sidious isn't the be all and end all,

he isn't an unbeatable entity in the GFFA that is totally awesome at everything he does

it just so happened on that particular evening on Coruscant Mace beat Palpatine,

now argue all you like it was an off day for Palps and any other day Mace would have been beaten by his sword, even argue that Palps was suffering from elbow lock if it makes you feel better, but Lucas says Mace won,

trying to prove otherwise (especially showing very unrealistic TCW fights), doesn't change that fact.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  25. Sidious69

May 19, 2004
    Lol

That clone wars clip just a bonus.

Read my whole comment and not just the video I posted.

All dialogues points to Palpatine setting the whole duel up.

He is NOT unbeatable which is why he has to turn his only threat to his side.

While him and Yoda are evenly match. The Chosen One will be the one that can break that Sidious/Yoda tie.

And the Rots commentary is taken out of context.

GL was merely describing the scene.

Same ROTS commentary also has him saying he was kidnapped by Greivous.

Now was he really kidnapped????