main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT who could have defeated/overthrown palpatine?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by jnrssa, Feb 7, 2013.

1. Master Fisto

Master Fisto Jedi Knight

Jun 10, 2013
    Mace Windu had him, fair and square.

What do you guys think Anakin's reaction would have been if he showed up at Palpatines office and Windu was dead along with the other three masters?

2. Sidious69

Sidious69 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2004
    This duel was the whole point.

It's the ONLY way to finally TURN Anakin.

He has tried and tried to turn Anakin and Anakin still turned him down telling him he will quickly discover the truth to all of this.

Palpatine has been telling him that the Sith and Jedi are the same, that good is point of view, and that the Jedi will not arrest him but destroy him.

Anakin still wasn't buying his words. He wants to save Padme BUT not to become evil. So he's there to help Mace in arresting Palpatine.

So Palpatine finally showed him "the truth".

This was Palpatine's END GAME.

Him losing finally accomplished his 3 goals:
    1. To frame the Jedi Order
    2. To have a valid reason to the Senate for Order 66 and to be an Empire
    3. To finally Turn Anakin who has turned him down all this time.

Palpatine couldn't convince Anakin before this STAGED DUEL to join him, in fact, Anakin wanted to arrest him, how will 4 Jedi Masters dead help Palpatine's cause????

To answer your question, Anakin would try to arrest him and pump info on saving Padme on his cell which GL said was Anakin's plan.

Sidious tricked him into betraying his Jedi Family.

SithStarSlayer likes this.
  3. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    Mace or Yoda could've done it alone on their day, so the two of them together would've done it easily. Pretty much anyone else (Dooku, Anakin, Obiwan) would've been a liability on some level.

4. Sidious69

Sidious69 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2004
    Same Yoda who went to exile saying he failed.

The novelization pretty much said Yoda cannot defeat him.

Same Mace who had a 4-1 advantage and still could not get it done.

If I'm fighting someone who is inferior than me or my equal and I have 3 of my friends with me helping then my enemy is as good as defeated.

The novelization also said Mace's Vapaad could not beat the Sith Lord. And Mace also sensed that Palpatine's Shatterpoint aka Weakness is Anakin.

Only Anakin in his Jedi prime or his off springs in their prime could defeat the Dark Lord himself.

5. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    Fair points all, but...

What Yoda was referring to as having "failed" at is open to debate.

Lucas says Mace overpowered Sidious. Whilst not definitive, that's certainly persuasive. In any case, what happened to three quarters of Mace's 4:1 advantage is irrelevant in terms of Mace v Sidious 1:1.

Weight placed on the novel's extrapolations on the films is open to debate.