main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Who cried when Anakin burst into flames?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by anibad, Nov 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lonestar9

Lonestar9 Jedi Master

May 5, 2004
    Cry...no...laugh, no way, it wasn't a funny thing at all. It was sad, and it was moving, but I didn't cry at any point in this movie...didn't find it that sad for that..

2. Jon_Bon_Kenobi

Jon_Bon_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 2, 2004
    I think people who are saying 'He was a child killer, he was a butcher' he deserved MORE are TOTALLY missing the point.
    YES Anakin did a lot of terrible things, but there were a LOT of factors in his actions.

? The Jedi. He was being asked to do very VERY un-jedi like things. Being asked to spy on the chancellor was a very devious thing, and the Jedi are supposed to be the guardians of justice. Being underhanded is not very Jedi like. Sure, they were doing it for good reasons, but Anakin couldnt see this. He was asked to spy on the cahncellor IMMEDIETLEY after being put on the council BY Palpatine. Would this not upset you also??
    ? Padme. The fact that his wife was, as he thought, going to die, was a very big factor. What would you do if your wife and unborn child were to die? And you could stop it?
    ? His mother died and he couldnt stop it.
    ? The Jedi CONSTANTLY put him under intense pressure. By always reffering to him as the chosen one.
    ? Mace Windu. Denied him training, then denied him Master rank. Was ALWAYS on his case, didnt trust him. Would this not also contribute to Anakins disatisfaction? He is just a young guy with a LOT of burden.

When Anakin is burning on the Lava bank, I didnt cry, and he DID get what he deserved, but unlike people mentioned (Hitler / Pol Pot?? I mean c'mon people!!) he started his path to that point by doing what he thought was right. He was wrong, he was impulsive, he killed kids and Jedi, but at that point he was convinced that the Jedi were the ones doing wrong. He thought Palpatine was bringing peace to the galaxy, and the Jedi were standing in the way of that. Why else would he take out Jedi AND Seperatists?? They BOTH, in his eyes, stood in the way of a peaceful Empire.

A quetion was asked a while back. "Do you feel sorry for Anakin?" Well I did. When he is burning al8ive and John Williams brings elements of the innocent Akanins Theme from TPM in the music, it IS tragic. He deserved to be punished for what he did yes, but at the core of his heart he began his actions for all the right reasons. And its THAT that makes it tragic.

:_|

* No-one has said that during the course of ROTS Anakin actually LEARNS from his mistakes! When he stops Mace from killing Palpatine, YES he does it to save Padme, but he DIDNT know Palpatine would then slaughter Mace. Now tink back to Dooku at the start. Anakin kills him after Palpatine says 'He was too dangerous to be left alive'. Anakin says he shouldnt have done it.

So when Mace says to Anakin 'He is too dangerous to be left alive' about Palpatine, Anakin has learned from his mistake at the start of the film. He tries to stop Mace doing it. Its not the Jedi way. So when Mace swing, Anakin at that very moment is thinking he is doing the right thing.

3. Tyranus_the_Hutt

Tyranus_the_Hutt Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 14, 2004
    I don?t often weep during movies, and I didn?t do so at any point in "Revenge of the Sith," despite its staggering emotional impact. The entire picture unfolds with the gradually collecting sense of inexorable tragedy, as though the characters are isolated, unable to extricate themselves from the complicated network of transpirations which occur both in the foreground, and in the backdrop, of their relative environments.

The immolation scene has a dark, transfixing power that encourages the viewer to watch the horrific nature of Anakin?s ultimate "demise," and consider it in an immediate visceral sense, rather than an analytical one. Once removed from the urgency of the viewing experience, a more practical examination can be applied to enrich our response to the sequence in question.

When I first watched the scene, I felt that it was reasonably unsettling, as well as trenchant and emotional; Lucas negotiated his effects quite efficiently in this instance, making Anakin?s immolation disturbing enough to drive home its disquieting purpose, and yet not excessively grisly so that it would become a geek show which might distract from the underlying psychological issues that characterize the dramatic components of this sequence. It is quite necessary that the director describe Anakin?s destruction in relatively explicit detail because it fulfills the trajectory of this character?s descent into evil and hatred; Anakin has become so deeply immersed in his own repugnance that a division, or psychologically disconnect has occurred, separating the character from his more innate humanity. Showing Anakin writhing in agony on that bank of sand, his handsome countenance gradually being eroded, gives some aspect of dramatic potency (and resolution) to the character?s fall. The gradual evisceration of his flesh becomes emblematic (in a literal sense) of the degree to which Anakin?s greed and malevolence have finally consumed his being, both spiritually and otherwise; the decay of his corporeal matter thus becomes a physical manifestation of this conceit, which is given further embellishment by the following passage, in which his reconstruction is described. Ultimately, the replacement of organic material with mechanical appendages and an ambulatory life-support system completes the thematic character arc in a manner which exudes a considerable pathos, making Anakin?s tragedy less of an objectified conceit, resounding instead with a sensitivity and grace that is, in its way, profoundly human.

4. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    ^^^^^

Well thats one of the greatest posts I've read in all my times of these Boards. =D=

5. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    I love Hayden and Anakin is my favorite character of the saga. I did still feel pity for him at the time,because even though he became evil we whom grew up around the OT know theres still good in him till ROTJ,So I guess it brings sadness to watch it knowing if he just listening to Padme or Obi Wan or even Yoda in the council room,he could've been saved,He would've been fine.

I always tear up when he screams 'I HATE YOU' a few minutes before bursting into flames,so theres tears there by the time he starts on fire.

6. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    The emotionally resonant qualities of Anakin's decline struck me greatly. Where I was expecting Lucas to hyperbolise the monstrous qualities of Anakin, he instead chose to emphasise the human that was slipping away. To this end, Williams made some interesting choices - the orderly menace of the Imperial March or a twisted cacophony of strings and male choruses never comes; instead, we get a Schindler's List-esque "Immolation" passage and a reprise of Qui Gon Jinn's "Funeral" theme. The film never once glorifies or exaggerates the evil that has overtaken Anakin but persistently weeps for his descent into evil and the subsequent loss of his humanity. I didn't think we'd get this kind of sympathetic treatment in a Star Wars film towards an iconic villain, but when you think of the greater arc of the saga and Anakin's redemption in Episode VI, it makes perfect sense. And in the narrative of Episode III, it's powerful stuff.

7. That_Random_Jedi

That_Random_Jedi Jedi Master star 3

May 14, 2005
    I just couldn't look. Still can't.

8. anidanami124

anidanami124 Jedi Master star 6

Aug 24, 2002
    Really I was more shocked seeing to people who were like brothers fight each other. Only to then see one go up and flames. So no I really did not cry.

9. Lord_of_all_Noldor

Lord_of_all_Noldor Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 30, 2005
    I couldn't help but feel sorry for him. A friend who was with me at the cinema cried. On the other hand, she cried through all of the second half of the movie. :p

10. Son_of_the_Suns

Son_of_the_Suns Jedi Youngling star 1

May 2, 2005
    I felt sorry for both Anakin and Obi-Wan, but mostly Obi-Wan. I didn't cry though, as I've never cried in a movie, though I was closer during Order 66 than I was at Anakin's immoliation. The Jedi were killed in betrayal while being the guardians of peace and justice whereas Anakin while he perceived betrayal, in actuallity drove Obi-Wan to fight when if he had just listened he wouldn't have ended up burned and maimed.

11. Obi-Chron

Obi-Chron Jedi Master star 4

Nov 11, 2003
    "Feel sorry?" Certainly I feel sorry for all the psychological psychopathic monsters of both fact and fiction. But I do not and cannot embrace them, identify with them emotionally, nor make any excuse for their horrid acts. They are what they have chosen to become with decisions that they themselves have made, ones that I cannot identify with on an emotional level. !

Anakin, or that which once was once Anakin, massacered the Tuscans, beheaded a defeated and unarmed Dooku, mass-murdered the Younglings, slaughtered the Jedi left in the Temple, killed unarmed civilian Trade Federation representatives on Mustafar and force-choked his beloved pregnant wife. And I'm supposed to cry for this guy? Riiiiiight!!!! Hitler and Pol Pot would be proud of the Sith prodigy.

I really, deeply, truly wished for Anakin to lose like the knight in Monte Python's Holy Grail who had his arms and legs cut off one arm, one leg at a time, one gash on the head, skewered through like a shish-ka-bob. Alas, for the purposes of a PG-13 rating, GL mercifully elected to do it in one grand swoop from a cool, alm and heroic Obi-Wan. I did rather enjoyed watching Anakin on the barbie, though.

Meglomaniac butchers are morbidly fascinating and profoundly sorrowful. This should not be confused with emotional bonding, as attachments to these nefarious butchers should be avoided at all costs -- on-screen or off, real or imagined.

12. Jedi_Momma

Jedi_Momma Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 1, 2005

[b]In real life, that's what a 'man' would do...[/b] [hr] Actually a "man" has the courage of his convictions and if he's sworn an oath to never kill a helpless individual[i] no matter what, [/i] then that's what he does.

[hr] [b]but that didn't stop me from thinking of Obi-Wan as being a tad bit of a gutless wonder in this particular particular case.[/b] [hr] It took a lot more guts to walk away than it would have to slice him up some more.

Besides Obi had always said, "I wouldn't p*** on a Sith if he were on fire."[face_clown]

13. Tiershon_Fett

Tiershon_Fett Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 25, 2000
    I was teary eyed, because it's such a waste of potential and he didn't really want tot do it. He didn't make a choice out of malice, but sdesperation and fear.

I always feel choked up when Padme's funeral is on. Really, it is such gorgeous filmmaking and just perfectly executed.

14. JediLaura01

JediLaura01 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 20, 2001
    Anakin chose to go down a certain path, even though there was a tiny voice in the back of his head saying, "What are you doing?" By the time he confronted Obi-Wan on Mustafar, he was past the point of no return. Even though he did horrible things, we can still feel commpassion for the good man and Jedi that he once was, and at some points still struggles to be, up until halfway through the film. It's easy to say, "he got what he deserved," but why is it so hard for people to say they feel sorry for him? Knowing everything we know about Anakin, knowing he wasn't born a monster, but became one, we can feel sorry for his poor choices.

15. orcagirl_78

orcagirl_78 Jedi Youngling

Nov 4, 2004
    I cried. I still cry when I watch it. It isn't so much for Anakin but for the person he was. I was crying because that person was truly gone (at least til RotJ). It was just so sad that he couldn't see what he had done and how wrong it was. I was crying for the person that was lost, NOT for the man he had become.

People in the theatre were definitely not laughing. You could pretty well hear a pin drop during that part.

16. orcagirl_78

orcagirl_78 Jedi Youngling

Nov 4, 2004
    I've always hated the way Luke cries out "No" during that part. I just think it's WAAY over the top. I didn't particularly like Vader's either. Not the best cries, but I'm sure there's a reason for the way Lucas wanted them that way.

17. sithrules70

sithrules70 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 28, 2005
    cry ?!??!!??!??!??!?!?!

when he got burned i was like[face_dancing][face_dancing][face_dancing].not because i dislike him but because he finally was gonna get the suit [face_dancing][face_dancing].

18. brook_33

brook_33 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 30, 2003
    i almost cried. anakin is one of my favorite characters, and the fact that he was tricked into becoming an agent of evil makes me feel sorry for what he became and for a punishment he only partly deserved.

19. Sosanya

Sosanya Jedi Youngling star 1

May 10, 2005
    I didn't cry for Anakin at all. I said "damn..that's a bad way to lose". Justifications and rationalizations aside..he's a child killer. I think if they had built his fall more gradually the whole youngling slaughter thing may have garnered more sympathy but honestlly it all happened so fast, it's hard to feel sorry for him since he didn't seem to take any time in making that decision.

20. Elsongs

Elsongs Jedi Youngling star 1

May 21, 2005
    Cried? I was going, "Cooool!" I mean, come on, if Anakin didn't go Extra Crispy, we wouldn't have the Darth Vader we all know and love...

21. Greedo_forever

Greedo_forever Jedi Youngling star 3

May 24, 2005
    mmmmm.... crispy... crispy CHICKEN...

Dogonit! Now I'm hungry!

22. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    I don't cry at this scene, but it is very sad and powerful. It gives me shivers to think about how Obi-Wan must feel. Betrayed, of course, but he's also lost his best friend and been forced to kill him(he thinks). That's heartbreaking.

Laugh? That's sad.
    /LM

23. PuccaKenobi

PuccaKenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 1, 2004
    I didn't cry for Anakin but I did shed a tear for Obi-Wan. When he yelled "You were the chosen one!" I get a tad weepy. I feel so bad for him.

After he gets back on Padme's ship and they are flying away the scene where he just rubs his face with his hand is heartbreaking to me too. He looks devastated.

24. Elsongs

Elsongs Jedi Youngling star 1

May 21, 2005
    Yeah. I mean, there is still good in him, right?

25. Obi_Frans

Obi_Frans Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2003
    No, we're not. In fact, we got the point completely. Anakin turned on everyone and forced the people that cared about him the most to "go against him" - this is the result. This is the ultimate statement that selling your soul to the devil cannot pass by without any consequence.

That's the point of the scene, nobody's more responsible for taking Anakin down that path except than himself. We're not supposed to go, "Oh Ani, i understand!" - we were supposed to do that when he's still struggling, still conflicted, still trying to do the right thing. That's why we see him burning so explicitly, not to drive home the point that he's still good - but to drive home the point that hatred leads to suffering. He's a childkiller, a traitor, a backstabber, a choke your pregnant wife-er - Anakin's gone, this is Vader that's burning there. Yes, there's good in him - but it's not even strong enough to listen to Padme.

You don't think Hitler thought he was justified in his actions? You don't think he thought he was doing the right thing?

Hitler didn't just wake up one day and decided to bother his jewish neighbours, just like Anakin didn't just wake up one day and decided to turn on everything he, his family and his friends stood for.

If anything, he learns the opposite. He learns that Palpatine was faking it and that he duped him into betraying Mace. He won't make that same mistake again, which is why he doesn't bat an eye at throwing Palpatine down a reactor shaft without mercy in RotJ.

- O_F

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.