main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Who cried when Mace Windu died?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by Lilasaliav, Nov 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. death_dealer_amanda

death_dealer_amanda Jedi Youngling

Jan 21, 2006
    Mace's death scene was the worst scene in the whole movie.
    bad acting, and it wasn't even cry worthy.
    i laughed at it because that scene was so horribly acted, and because palpatine's face looked soo unrealistic.

that scene just sucked. it was pathetic.

2. flenchgrain

flenchgrain Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2003
    It was also lame how he screamed like a little baby when his hand was cut off. Dooku looked alot tougher loosing two hands and not screamming like a stuck pig. I think they could have done better for Mace.

3. VanLiz

VanLiz Jedi Master star 1

Apr 13, 2002
    I didn't cry. I was shocked. I thought that it was truly over for the Republic because I believe Mace could have stopped Palpatine if Anakin had not betrayed him.

4. MacetheCouncillor

MacetheCouncillor Jedi Master star 3

Dec 4, 2003
    No more than accusing Mace for Anakin's turn when he tried to finish Palpatine the way some people do exaggerates Mace's error. Mace couldn't know of Anakin's attachment to Padmé any more than Yoda could. Yet, for some unknown reason, Yoda gets excused for his mistakes, whereas Mace only gets crap for his. That is a double standard.

5. DUGGY

DUGGY Jedi Youngling star 4

Apr 23, 2005
    Ain't that the truth. Old Georgie boy's genius writing for the PT turned the wisest Jedi Master into a chin-scratching, useless, inept moron. Toddler dialouge, Frank Oz's wild voice fluctuations, and a cartoonish CGI appearance - which is so phony looking in comparison to his realistic muppet incarnation - are the reasons why I don't even recognize PT Yoda and Yoda from the OT as being one in the same. Their complete diametric opposites in every facet. "Apples and oranges we are not."

I guess you didn't really get that PT Yoda and OT Yoda are different. you do, but for the wrong reasons. Yoda admits his failures and the Jedi Orders failures . he realizes their failures and arrogance, and that is why we see a different WISER Yoda in the OT. i thought it was clearer than that. guess not. :rolleyes:

No more than accusing Mace for Anakin's turn when he tried to finish Palpatine the way some people do exaggerates Mace's error. Mace couldn't know of Anakin's attachment to Padmé any more than Yoda could. Yet, for some unknown reason, Yoda gets excused for his mistakes, whereas Mace only gets crap for his. That is a double standard.

Well i don't recall Yoda saying that He does not trust Anakin. Or see how he can hardly wait to burst Anakins bubble when he jumps on him in the Council chamber and say's " You are on this council, but we do not grant you the rank of Master " or the cold and callous " Take a seat " or my personal favorite " If what you tell me is true , then you will have earned my trust " [face_laugh] Just admit that Mace has no Tact. he cares not, for Anakins feelings. and you are right he knows nothing of Anakins deeds , but for some strange reason he just has to be a **** and not trust him. he was feerful of some kid being the Chosen one . a threat to the status Quo. Mace reeped what he sowed. MACE was everything the Jedi should not have been . Arrogant, cold, and Callous. plain and simple.

6. MacetheCouncillor

Dec 4, 2003
    And yet Anakin proved that he did not deserve that trust. Mace saw that clearly, more so than Yoda and Obi-Wan did.

Anakin was not mature enough to be a master.

Which Anakin earned with his greed for power.

Again, Anakin deserved no trust until he had proven himself, which he did one moment (which Mace admits with this statement), but then revoke through his betrayal.

He shouldn't have to give Anakin ego massage. Anakin's responsibility was far too great for anyone to afford him not taking his role as a Jedi more seriously.

You are missing the point of the Prequels. Starting someone's Jedi training late is dangerous, even more dangerous for someone of Anakin's potential. Mace knew what was at stake.

And a legitimate fear, that was PROVEN to be.

No, to the whole Jedi order.

No, he reaped what Palpatine and Anakin's ego sowed.

No, he just expected a degree of maturity and responsibility as a Jedi that Anakin never showed.

7. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003

Well to be honest, I cried about as much as the dude who did this to him...

[image=http://starwars.wikicities.com/images/a/aa/Mace%5C%27s_Death.jpg]

Lets face it: Jedi Master Mace Windu, just wasn't a very lovable character. Which really sucks in its own way because, SLJ is one of my all time favorite actors.

Mace reminds me of an officer that I served with in the military about 15 years ago. He got the job done and often did so ahead of schedule, he was just a jerk to his subordinates all the time. He couldn't rally drunks with free gallons of booze. Let alone get anything done without using his rank.

My point is Mace (just like the officer I knew) doesn't warrant any sympathy...

8. Achilles_of_Edmonton

Achilles_of_Edmonton Jedi Youngling star 4

May 13, 2005
    I cried over the damage to Sam Jacksons career.

9. DarthShaun

DarthShaun Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 8, 2004
    I believe when Yoda said " I hope right you are" that basically meant there was so mistrust there on his part as well with Mace. He agreed with Mace from the looks he had when talking with Obi-Wan and Mace. It pretty obvious that Yoda has some misconceptions of Anakin too. He just chose not express it explictly as Mace did. I did not feel like I wanted to cry when Mace was killed. I was more shocked at everything that was happening. I kinda tried of hearing people saying that the scream Mace had when his hand was cut off by Anakin was stupid. It really wasn't in my opinion. I mean if your hand was cut off, you'd scream too. You certainly wouldn't just stand there looking stupid.

10. RebelScum77

RebelScum77 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 3, 2003
    That's a good analogy.

Mace was a powerful Force user, but being a good Jedi doesn't necessarily give you good people skills. This is perhaps why some Jedi are healers and other warriors. He may have compassion for others, but I think it's more because it's a Jedi requirement than a natural urge.

11. TheCRZA

TheCRZA Jedi Padawan star 4

May 29, 2005
    Anakin was not mature enough to be a master.

I don't think it was a matter of maturity as much
    as it was that he had no mastery over himself.

Which Anakin earned with his greed for power.

Anakin already had the power, he merely wanted the recognition.

Again, Anakin deserved no trust until he had proven himself, which he did one moment (which Mace admits with this statement), but then revoke through his betrayal.

Deserved no trust? He was a Jedi Knight.
    If they didn't trust him, why allow him to remain in the order.

He shouldn't have to give Anakin ego massage. Anakin's responsibility was far too great for anyone to afford him not taking his role as a Jedi more seriously.

This scene wasn't about Anakin's ego as much as it was about Mace's.

You are missing the point of the Prequels. Starting someone's Jedi training late is dangerous, even more dangerous for someone of Anakin's potential. Mace knew what was at stake.

Training any jedi at any age is dangerous. There is always the threat of turning.
    The old Jedi order attempted to remove humanity from human jedi.
    Luke was trained later than anyone and he turned out just fine.
    Mace never knew what was at stake, only what he thought was at stake.

No, he reaped what Palpatine and Anakin's ego sowed.

Mace had other options than storming off without Anakin.
    Prophecy = Chosen One killing Sith and balancing force.
    Anakin = Chosen One.
    Algen Kolar, Saese Tiin, Kit Fisto do not = Chosen One.
    Mace is directly responsible for their deaths.
    It was ludicrous to take them there.
    What happened, happened because Mace didn't use any real strategy.

No, he just expected a degree of maturity and responsibility as a Jedi that Anakin never showed.

Anakin shows restraint and introspection all throughout ROTS;
    surely this is a mark of maturity and responsiblity.

12. mjerome3

mjerome3 Jedi Knight star 6

May 11, 2000
    Although I liked the character of Mace Windu, I didn't grieve when he died. I think he died in a gallant, heroic way, and I was proud the way he went out. Palpatine on the other hand proved to be a chump.

13. DARK__SITH__LORD

DARK__SITH__LORD Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 19, 2006
    yes, I agree.

14. Ani_Lover

Ani_Lover Jedi Master star 4

Dec 15, 2005
    I agree with you completely!!

15. darthvaderv

darthvaderv Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2005
    CRIED! No I think Mace done that for me.;)

16. Master_Win-Dex

Master_Win-Dex Jedi Youngling

Apr 4, 2005
    I didn't cry but i was pretty sad the way Anakin betrayed him and all. Right before he was shot out through the window he looked at Anakin like dude why did you do this? I got real teary when order 66 came and they killed Ki-Adi-Mundi and Plo Koon.[face_worried]

RayO1 likes this.
  17. yoshifett

yoshifett Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 17, 2004
    I laughed like a giddy little school girl as Mace yelled and Palpatine's face twisted "with sadistic delight" as he screams UNLIMITED POWER![face_devil]

18. Sidious_T

Sidious_T Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 2, 2004
    ^^^^^^

Agree with Yoshi I do. I laughed too and thought good riddence.

19. yoshifett

Apr 17, 2004
    Yeah it's sad. But he'll still be the highest grossing actor of all time.

Hence the user icon, huh, Sids? That's one of my favorite moments in that pic, even though some blashphemous fellows think this scene is corny.

20. solo77

solo77 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 28, 2002
    Not me!

I was glad when that punk got his beats!!

RayO1 likes this.
  21. yoshifett

Apr 17, 2004
    Word.

22. TheDarkSideAreThey

TheDarkSideAreThey Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 24, 2004
    I didn't cry, but it was as dramatic a death as I had seen in the series. Mace seems to get a hard time because he didn't trust Anakin. Hello, Anakin becomes Darth Vader, the baddest mofo in the galaxy, evil as can be. A lot of people now sympathize with Anakin because we have seen his fall, but we know what he becomes and Mace had a feeling about it. Don't blame Mace for simply being a good judge of character.

23. blicknasty

blicknasty Jedi Master star 4

Oct 9, 2004
    The only time it was acceptable to cry in Episode III was the ending scene of Kenobi handing Luke off to the Lars' because of what the end of the movie was signifying and Kenobi saying to Anakin and I quote "You were the chosen one! It was said that you would destroy the Sith not join them. Bring balance to the Force, not leave it in darkness."

You can't argue that.

24. MacetheCouncillor

Dec 4, 2003
    That, too. In any case, Mace was right and Anakin didn't have what it takes to make a master.

Really? According to Lucas, Anakin had the potential to be 200 % of the Emperor in terms of power, and it is pretty darn obvious that he is nowhere near that level of power in this movie. With more knowledge, he could have gotten way stronger still. That is, before Mustafar, of course.
    It doesn't matter, though. Even someone who already has power can have greed for more power.

Seeing how events played out, it is doubtful whether they should have allowed him to remain in the order. However, as it turned out, Mace was right about Anakin not being able to handle the task of spying on Palpatine. The end result about Anakin's fate shows that with all desired clarity.

Who was it that turned to the dark side and joined the Sith, again?

Yeah, and there was more with Anakin, especially when Anakin was placed with Palpatine.

Luke was a far more responsible person than his old man.

No one in the Jedi order knew Palpatine was Sidious until it was revealed. He was quite right about the danger of putting Anakin and Palpatine together, though. I don't know how anyone can be foolish enough to deny that, seeing the end result, no matter how much they dislike Mace as a character.

Yeah, and I have discussed that before. It wasn't a good choice not to bring Anakin along, I confess, but the alternative would not be any different.

Then why didn't he do his duty and finish the Sith? That is betrayal of the Jedi order.

Somehow, according to Anakin fanboys, Mace are responsible for Anakin's actions, but Anakin isn't. Strange logic, to say the least.

25. windu25

windu25 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 24, 2005
    Good post MacetheCouncillor.

Here's a fact I've come to notice.

the people who hate Mace are not going to change their view even if you have GL's commentary to back up what your saying. Even this thread is mostly about giving the anti-Mace crowd a place to vent their hate of the character.

To sum it up - it's a waste of time.

Good post though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.