main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Who deserves more credit for Vader? David Prowse or James Earl Jones?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Darth Zannah, Jan 17, 2015.

1. Darth Zannah

Darth Zannah Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 28, 2014
    I just came across an interview with David Prowse, the body builder who acted in Vader's suit for the original trilogy, where he was completely dissing the prequels...upon reading this I had to ask myself...what did he really contribute to the saga that should make us care about his opinion? besides the fact that I like the PT..when I really think about it, personally I think any big muscular actor could have wore the suit and I wouldn't even care...to me what sold the whole character of Vader is James Earl Jones...his iconic voice and the voice over performance he gave...to me James Earl Jones is Vader, not David Prowse...and the fact that James Earl Jones was so humble about it..denying any credit for the first 2 films just shows me that he has a lot of humility..so much so that he had no Idea how impactive his contribution was...Mr. jones deserves most of the credit I say...what do you guys think?

azmar and sarlaccsaurs-rex like this.
  2. Among the Clouds

Among the Clouds Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2001
    DP did what he was hired to do, but JEJ brought Vader to life. I respect DP for being "the guy in the suit," but I agree that another bodybuilder could have probably done the same thing and it probably would have been about as good. Without JEJ, Vader isn't Vader, though.

3. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    Does one have to choose? Personally, I believe that Prowse brought a certain personality to Vader's body language. Yes, another body builder could've done just as good a job, but the body language would've been different. Just as a different voice actor would've given Vader a different character but might've done the job just as well as JEJ.

4. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    Tough to say in terms of credit, but James Earl Jones is the actor that's most often associated with him (in my experience, at least). People know the voice, while the mannerisms are more subtle (still a great actor in the role). It's funny that Jones was left out of the credits for Empire and ANH, but people still immediately connect the voice to character more so than Prowse.

I still respect Dave Prowse; he's one of the few OT actors that fully embrace their role in the Saga and still makes an effort to connect with fans, despite health issues. It's disappointing to hear about his words on the prequels and relationship with Lucas, though. Had he been on good terms with Lucas, I think he might've gotten that cameo in ROTS paired with Jones again.

5. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    JEJ hands down, and I think most people would say the same. Not to diss Dave Prowse, as he did a fantastic job in the suit, but I agree with others that it's a performance that probably could have been replicated by someone else without too much trouble.

For comparison, I don't think the same is true for characters like Chewbacca or C-3PO. If you had to, you could put someone else in those suits, but I think it would actually be quite difficult for another person to replicate those physical performances.

6. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    JEJ, it's just not even close.

7. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    they both contributed, although it's JEJ's voice people most identify with Vader.
    As for Prowse's comments on the PT, i have no idea why he would do that ( i can't think of any other OT actor that has.) but i do recall during episode III he said Lucas 'owed it' to him to be in the suit again. 8-}

8. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    They BOTH contributed. I am not keen on either or games. :p

Darth_Pevra and Sarge like this.
  9. Messi

Messi Jedi Padawan star 2

Jan 14, 2015
    You forgot Sebastian Shaw...hehheheh
    I think both deserves the same credit for Vader.

10. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Anyone can put on the suit and move their hands around, hence Bob Anderson did quite a bit of ROTJ. But it takes an actual actor to convey emotion and intensity without facial expressions. Much less seeing their eyes. So it goes towards Jones.

Darth Zannah and Andy Wylde like this.
  11. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    That's not really true, DS. Interesting way of conveying preference though. :p

12. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    All 3 people deserve credit imo.

13. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    Prowse's contribution is less obvious and tangible, but I don't think it should be underestimated.

14. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Prowse definitely had a formidable presence and intimidating body language. I don't think putting another body builder in the suit would have worked; they tried that with Chewie when Peter Mayhew was unavailable, and everyone involved said it just wasn't Chewie.

15. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    They were both important in making Vader so ominous etc., but JEJ made Darth a truly formidable villain. There was a sinister elegance to his vocal performance that makes Vader stand out.

16. Thom Skywalker

Thom Skywalker Jedi Master star 1

Dec 1, 2014
    Just imagine DP was hired to play Vader at ROTS, but JEJ wasn't.....

You could replace ROTS by TESB or ROTJ...
    Now, just imagine.....

17. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    Everyone has a slightly different way of carrying themselves, walking etc. Intentionally or otherwise, probably mostly otherwise, much of Prowse's individual characteristics of this kind became Vader's. It's not just a case of putting another great big guy in the suit and it being the same. Same with Chewie. Same with 3PO. Same with Frank Oz's puppeteering work with Yoda.

18. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    Pretty much what you said. All these guys deserve credit to bringing vader to life.

19. enigmaticjedi

enigmaticjedi Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 2, 2011
    James Earl Jones provided the most iconic voice in cinematic history with Darth Vader. I can't imagine Vader being voiced by anyone else. Although DP did a great job with imposing body language, he is not as irreplacable as Jones is.

NightWatcher91 and Darth Zannah like this.
  20. NightWatcher91

NightWatcher91 Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 7, 2014
    I feel like Prowse led to the voice of James Ear Jones. Vader needed to be this imposing figure and Prowse was able to do so with his manner of how he held himself up.

Sarge likes this.
  21. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    My thoughts exactly.

22. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    They both deserve credit IMO. Too me the way Vader walked in the OT was intimidating so I give a lot of credit to Prowse for that. Of course JEJ gets a lot of credit for the voice as well. I say "a lot" and not "all" because I'm betting Lucas, Kirschner, etc. had some kind of input with the performances of these 2. They both did a great job though.

Sarge likes this.
  23. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    James Earl Jones is Darth Vader, David Prowse did a good job being.... a big guy? I mean, he does tilt his head at the right time, but it JEJ's voice that gives the emotion behind those....head titls....

No disrespect to the man, they both contribute to Darth Vader, but in all honesty between the two I'd say Jones was alittle more essential to DV.

24. Samwise_Skywalker

Samwise_Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2002
    Prowse sure is bitter.

But Lucas and John Mollo deserve the most credit for Vader. When he enters in ANH, you don't hear him and he only takes a few steps. It's the visual of that character that instantly brought him to life and made him so fascinating.

25. PCCViking

PCCViking 6x Wacky Wednesday Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Jun 12, 2014
    Vader would've found the lack of credits for James Earl Jones disturbing.