main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Who did you like more as a villian?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by CnlSandersdeKFC, Dec 21, 2015.

?

Which Villian Did You Like More?

1. Kylo Ren

116 vote(s)
    77.9%
  2. General Hux

21 vote(s)
    14.1%
  3. Captain Phasma

4 vote(s)
    2.7%
  4. Supreme Leader Snoke

8 vote(s)
    5.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MidKnighT

MidKnighT Force Ghost star 4

May 23, 2005
    Where's the option for "None of them".

I think they all sucked.

2. jakobitis89

jakobitis89 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2015
    I like Ren as a character but given the thread asks '... as a villain?' then I voted for Hux. Ren is complex and erratic and I am sure will get even better but for me Hux is a perfect throwback to the old Empire villains, the Tarkins and Mottis with their sharp threads, eeeevil accents and space-fascism. Proper pulp baddies and Hux is furthering that tradition... and I love it.

3. Wind Rider

Wind Rider Jedi Knight

Dec 28, 2015
    Kylo Ren without a doubt. He's not a complete character. I look at him as unhinged and quite dangerous (like an injured raccoon... you don't what it's gonna do!) I thought Adam Driver did a spectacular job.

4. zackm

zackm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 22, 2015
    I loved Kylo Ren. Thought was an absolute stud. Best villain I've seen in quite some time.

5. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    I enjoyed Hux as he is a "believer" in the evil cause. He seems to be having an almost spiritual pleasure when the red beam of SK station is fired. He is a firm believer in the cause.

But Kylo is the one I like more, as he reflects on how impossible really is to replace the biggest villain in the history of moviemaking. His personal journey reflects what the actor himself has to face: it is impossible to replace Vader, so it was a brilliant decision to make Kylo an untrained dark-side user that wants to be like Vader, but is afraid he can't.

6. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Agreed.

That certainly was part of the point because they never really have faced true adversity before and they came up really short. Even when Tarkin failed he didn't think he was going to before he was destroyed. Maul was defeated but never thought for one second he would be. I don't get they blinding confidence feel from any of these guys not even Snoke who is scared out of his boots at the thought of Luke returning.

The novel makes it even more clear he is freaked out by Luke.

It was disappointing to me that not a one of those 4 (realistically Hux or Phasma) didn't get killed off but with conviction in their superiority until the end.

7. Darth__Lobot

Darth__Lobot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 29, 2015

I actually like the idea that Luke is feared and found the concept to be refreshingly different. As you may have noticed it's a call back to parts of the PT were the Jedi were feared and respected (beginning of TPM as an example)

8. Bryan Kenobi

Bryan Kenobi Jedi Youngling

Dec 21, 2015
    Went and saw TFA with my aunt and uncle and their family when I saw it the first time. After the movie I said these exact words:

"I loved it. The only complaint I have is Kylo Ren is a whiny ***** with daddy issues."

Of course, that was my immediate reaction. And in this thread, I see many people had the same problem with him. However, like the majority of those same people, I sat on the idea behind Kylo Ren. The dude is twisted with thoughts of the light and the dark, was the son of two people who would be nearly impossible to live up to, and was the grandson of one of the most powerful Force users in history. Not to mention, uncle Luke.

Then I saw TFA a second time. Everything Ren did, I loved. I initially was taken aback by Adam Driver's appearance once the mask was off, but he ****ing nailed it.

Then I saw TFA a third time. I was at a point where I could start to recite some of the dialogue I had heard. Moreso, I was able to pick out little things that I hadn't in the first two viewings. I absolutely love the Rey character and have always been more of a fan of light side of the Force, as opposed to the dark side, but Kylo Ren is slowly creeping up on Rey as my favorite character from this movie.

I'm looking forward to VIII and IX and expect Kylo Ren to be the biggest of villains come that time.

Hux was cool in the way that you knew there was no redemption or going back for this guy. He may not have a character that's entirely fleshed out, but he's just a bad, bad dude.

Millennium Falcon 888 likes this.
  9. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    I said Hux- guy is so spacenazi it would make Tarkin seem like a friend of democracy. But Kylo was also pretty interesting. Snoke was too mysterious still to say anything about him (and not big fan of the design) and Phasma had nice armor and it was great to see female stormtrooper as commander but that pretty much it.

10. MidKnighT

MidKnighT Force Ghost star 4

May 23, 2005
    Let's compare each villain to their IV / V counterpart (you know, the characters they are ripping off)

Kylo Ren vs Darth Vader. No contest, Darth Vader is a more imposing and more powerful villain. And before you talk about how "complex" Kylo is, at the end of ESB Vader's complexity increased tenfold when he told Luke he was his father and proposed to overthrow the emperor with Luke.

General Hux vs Tarkin. Tarkin is a cold, calculating, and experienced leader. He is very believable and imposing figure. Hux looks like a kid dragged out of the Hitler youth program. Tarkin hands out.

Snoke vs Palpatine. Again at this point no contest. Palpatine is the embodiment of evil. His eyes, his voice, his pure evilness, and most of all, his power.

Plasma vs Boba Fett. I guess Boba would be Plasma's comparison. Again no contest, Boba tracks down Solo and brings him to Jabba. Plasma surrenders easily and lowers the shields.

The villains were super super weak in TFA.

11. Bryan Kenobi

Bryan Kenobi Jedi Youngling

Dec 21, 2015
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't A New Hope not originally planned as a trilogy? With that in mind, TFA it is known from the start it's a larger story to be told. To say all these villains are weak is a bit premature since there is a larger story arc to be told.

12. Darth__Lobot

Dec 29, 2015

To be fair, Kylo Ren in TFA is IMO more interesting than Vader in ANH. TESB was really the movie that gave us the Vader we all love (yet another reason it's the best)

13. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    I loved Kylo Ren as a villain but I decided to throw some love Hux's way. Honestly, I loved his speech. It was like something out of Inglorious Basterds. Just completely ridiculous yet entertaining as hell. And I loved his vibe with Kylo. Their rivalry was the stuff of legends. Kylo wouldn't have been as compelling absent Hux.

14. La Calavera

La Calavera Force Ghost star 4

Sep 2, 2015
    Snoke is afraid of Luke? You telling me this whole conflict could've been resolved hadn't Luke taken a time off?

15. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Snoke is afraid of something besides Luke's power. He says that "if Skywalker returns, the new Jedi shall rise." So it's not just a case of "he's too powerful." Perhaps something that Luke discovered on his travels is what has Snoke spooked?

16. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014

Also people judging Kylo on how "menacing and imposing" he is or isn't, miss the point of his character entirely.

Baghdad likes this.
  17. Darth__Lobot

Dec 29, 2015

I actually thought Kylo was threatening... but in a totally different way from Vader. Vader was hardly a loose cannon

18. Millennium Falcon 888

Millennium Falcon 888 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 6, 2016
    This is what makes me look forward to Episode 8... It is to know what makes Snoke so worried if Luke were to make a comeback, as well as what the FO will do, in retaliation to the loss of Starkiller Base, their crown jewel.

And let's not forget that while many of us liked Kylo Ren and General Hux in TFA, we have a brand new baddie coming up in Episode 8 - the guy played by Benicio Del Toro. Things are going to get interesting come 2017, that's what the Milli Falcon thinks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.