main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Who do you feel that Star Wars is primarily "for"?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Darth Valkyrus, Sep 27, 2013.

?

?

1. Young kids, up to about 7 or so

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Older kids, 8 - 12 bracket

2 vote(s)
    7.4%
  3. Subadult teens... 13 - 18

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Adults

1 vote(s)
    3.7%
  5. All of the above in equal measure

21 vote(s)
    77.8%
  6. Some of the above, not including all of the above

3 vote(s)
    11.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    And I believe that there are parts of the saga which could be interpreted as designed as exclusively for adults. I'd think that just one obvious example (if we're talking all of the films, not just '77) could be Lucas' decision to explore overarching change of the political landscape: "All democracies turn into dictatorships--but not by coup. The people give their democracy to a dictator, whether it's Julius Caesar or Napoleon or Adolf Hitler. Ultimately, the general population goes along with the idea. What kinds of things push people and institutions in this direction? That's the issue I've been exploring: how did the Republic turn into the Empire?...How does a good person go bad, and how does a democracy become a dictatorship?" [TIME magazine, 2002]

As I said, I think this is just one easy example of something which I think most would agree was absolutely not aimed at the kids, and if you're asking if it was to the "detriment of the greater film" for the kids, well, yes, I know of some who felt that it was. The general public decried TPM not just for Jar-Jar, but also for the political storyline which "my kids thought was boring." But when II and III came out, George had stuck to his guns and not only included, but expounded upon this element. Now, yes, I'll grant that Lucas likely in no way set out to alienate kids with the parts not meant for them, but it's clear he wasn't going to allow it to stop him from including themes he knew full well might be appreciated by only the adult contingent of his audience.

I think your question "how precisely does one go about making something for everyone?" is the key. In SW77, I think George and his team did so masterfully. When it worked (and examples of everyone, from young to old, caught the fever), the decision to adhere to the formula was made. As I said, the first film had woven these elements almost seamlessly, but as the later films were made, there are definite times when the cracks would show.

I can speak personally here. In 1981, when I was five years old, my grandfather introduced me to Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back. These were films he had enjoyed first, on his own, but which he knew were films I would be guaranteed to love, too. He was right, of course. And I cannot tell you the amount of times we watched those first three SW films together. They account for some of my fondest childhood memories. Sure, Grandpa's desire to view the films with me was probably born of enjoying the shared experience with his grandson (and bless him for that), but as I said, he was already a fan when he introduced me to the first two films.

Now, I know what you're thinking, "Yes, but was it the kid in him which originally latched on to the films, or was it something else?" I wish he were still here to discuss it with. I wish he had lived to see the PT, as there are definite plot points he would have loved. If you want to go beyond my experience, there are many examples of fans, fans who were middle-aged and more, who appreciated the first film hen it premiered. The testimonials are out there. I'm not going to claim that SW is an 'adult-first' endeavor, and good for us if the kids come along for the ride, but I just as assuredly do not subscribe to the inverse. Understand, I don't think I'm "right" and you're "wrong," and I'm not trying to win you over. It's just how I think of it.

Well, there is something off about that. :) Of course there are moments included just for the kids! There always have been.

2. Praenomen Cognomen

Praenomen Cognomen Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2013
    That's actually really interesting, about your grandpa. I do see your point there.

Our stances come from the same approximate place, but in my case it's about not being afraid of "childish" things, and in yours it's about not placing too strong a value on "adulthood," which are essentially one and the same. I believe it was someone here who introduced me to this C.S. Lewis quote, in fact:

“Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.”

[​IMG]

...and THAT's why you don't say Star Wars is for ADULTS!

(or... why I don't say that...)

3. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    I enjoy that Lewis quote, as well (and if I'm not mistaken I, too was first introduced to it around these parts). You never know what you might find.

4. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    PraenomenCognomen

I remember that quote brought up by Seerow in this thread.

I...I think just remembering all of this stuff means I've been spending way too much time on the forums lately.

And about the topic, yes, as most people have already elaborated upon, Star Wars is for everyone to enjoy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.