main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Who Do You Think Anakin's Father REALLY Is?

Discussion in 'Archive: Cleveland, OH' started by TheRandomMenace, Mar 17, 2002.

?

Who Do You Think Anakin's Father REALLY Is?

Poll closed Mar 31, 2002.
  1. Palpatine

2 vote(s)
    22.2%
  2. Count Dooku

1 vote(s)
    11.1%
  3. Qui-Gon

2 vote(s)
    22.2%
  4. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. There Is No Father As Shmi Said- He Was Conceived Of The Force

4 vote(s)
    44.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheRandomMenace

TheRandomMenace Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2002
  2. TheRandomMenace

Mar 13, 2002
    Sorry, I must have hit post twice or something. Ignore the other poll, and use this one...

3. TheRandomMenace

Mar 13, 2002
    Random does his best Arnold voice: "Anakin, who is your daddy and what does he do?"

4. Krash

Krash RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 11, 2000
    [face_laugh]

While the Palpatine idea is interesting, I think GL is going for the straight-forward idea that Anakin is the chosen one; and "there was no father" is just one of many religious themes Lucas used.

In another topic, I'd said that the relationship/tension between Obi-Wan and Anakin is that of 2 brothers who have lost their "father-type" figure in their lives (Qui-Gon). And when Obi-Wan promised to train Anakin, he was in essence promising to raise his "brother." And the tension between Obi-Wan and Anakin comes from his resentment at Obi-Wan assuming the "father" role. Where Palpatine fits into this is that, I think he manipulates that lack of "father-type" influence in Anakin in turning him to the dark side. "We'll watch your career with great interest" and that scene in his office (from the D-trailer) makes me think Palpatine is going to manipulate Anakin, the way Qui-Gon was trying to teach him before the Council granted permission.

5. TheRandomMenace

Mar 13, 2002
    Your insights serve you well, Krash.

6. DonC

DonC Jedi Master star 4

Mar 30, 2001
    I really wish there was a way I could post on why I voted for Qui-Gon without posting a spoiler. I can't so: WARNING THIS POST CONTAINS POSSIBLE SPOILER INFORMATION. IF YOU DON'T WANT TO READ IT SCROLL TO THE BOTTOM OF THE PAGE AND COME BACK UP AFTER THE SPOILER.

S

P

O

I

L

E

R

Dooku was Qui-Gon's master (this is the only thing I'm sure of, the rest is speculation). Way back before Qui-Gon started training Obi-Wan Qui-Gon knocked up Shmi. Years later, when he was sure the Council wouldn't train him, he retrieved Anakin (the whole "unplanned" trip to Tatooine was, in fact, part of Qui-Gon's plan) intending to leave the Jedi and join Dooku in his plans to destroy the Sith. Anakin was to be the warrior to do this. Things went bad when the Sith killed Qui-Gon and the Jedi agreed to train Anakin. Now, knowing the Sith are on to him, Dooku is trying to recruit Obi-Wan and possibly Anakin.

E

N

D

S

P

O

I

L

E

R

If you feel the need to reply to this please do so in a way that omits the possible spoiler info.

7. JediKnightPasJoDacle

JediKnightPasJoDacle Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 16, 2002
    Good theary but worng. ok, here's the story, I am a movie reviewer and an actor. I just got an email from a source that I haven't heard from in about a year. He only contacts me on Star Wars stuff and ONLY when it's big news. He works directly for George Lucas's production company and I have verified that, in the past his information that he has provided me with has all been correct. Here it is...

SPOILER AHEAD

S

P

O

I

L

E

R

"Palpatine IS in fact Anikin's father and will be fully revieled in Episode III". That is the quote that I recieved via email today. SSo there for, well, there ya have it. The truth plain and simple. no more speculation and such. The plain truth.

E

N

D

S

P

O

I

L

ER.

8. TheRandomMenace

Mar 13, 2002
    Well, my poll has finally closed, and the Cleveland Fanforce has come to the conclusion that Shmi was telling the truth to Qui-Gon, and that Anakin has no father. In other words, he really was conceived by the Force. Thanks to everyone who participated!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.