main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Who do you think was the greatest Jedi in the Saga?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by shoney, Aug 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    It definitely can. However, saying someone is the greatest Jedi doesn't necessarily mean that that character would be the person's favorite. Obi-Wan is in my case, but I've seen many people who are highly critical of the Jedi Code and prefer Anakin to his mentor, say that Yoda and Obi-Wan were in many ways the greatest Jedi in the Prequels.

2. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008
    The Jedi Code is the definition of how a Jedi is supposed to act.

Says who? The Jedi? What if they're wrong?

3. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    They can't be wrong about what defines themselves. The Jedi are an authority on what being a Jedi means.

4. JediMasterAni18

JediMasterAni18 Jedi Youngling

Apr 4, 2009
    It's really hard to choose just one as the greatest Jedi. They each have good and bad qualities.
    My choices:
    1. Yoda
    2. Anakin
    3. Luke
    4. Obi-wan
    6. Mace Windu
    7. qui-Gon

5. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008
    They can't be wrong about what defines themselves. The Jedi are an authority on what being a Jedi means.

Or . . . the Jedi were arrogant about themselves. The Jedi were an authority on what being a Jedi means? I don't agree. I don't believe there was any ONE SET OF RULES about what being a Jedi means. And I feel that the Jedi were too stupid to realize this.

6. MuddyFox

MuddyFox Jedi Knight

Mar 15, 2008
    I think Qui-Gon Jinn was the greatest Jedi.

For me what makes a Jedi ?great? is his or her connection to the force rather than their power, abilities or sabre technique. I think Qui-Gon is best here. Clearly Yoda would be a very close contender using this criteria but I think his mind was hemmed in by the rules and boundaries of the Jedi Order. Qui-Gonn, on the other hand, was quite prepared to defy the Jedi Council when he felt that the force asked it of him. He just lived in this deep connection with the force, did what he felt was right in each moment and to hell with the rest. I just love that! :D

Muddy

7. Dark--Helmet

Dark--Helmet Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 22, 2003

I think they did.Mace,Yoda,Anakin,Qui Gon,where all different typs of Jedi and where in the order no?.People keep saying it but I never found the Jedi in the PT to be arrogant,stupid yes,but not arrogant.

The correct answer is obviously Luke.He gets it just because he beat the Sith and wasn't the one who caused the problem.

8. superpowers

superpowers Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 8, 2009
    1.qui-gon
    2.Luke Skywalker
    3.obi-wan
    4.Mace Windu (his duel with palpatine sucked and we were cheated out of what could have/should have been a great battle).
    5.Yoda.

hmm anakin to me does not belong on any jedi list. he behaves like a spoiled little brat who kills people and constantly disrespects and smart mouths his Master. he's a joke. SAD considering the entire 6 part story if suppose to be about the rise and fall of this great jedi named Anakin Skywalker. 'YIPIEEEE"

9. d_arblay

d_arblay Jedi Master star 4

May 26, 2005
    you have to take in a number of attributes i suppose. wisdom, combat ability, experience, midichlorian count (like it or loathe it). and taking all of these things into consideration it MUST be Yoda. no question. look at the other candidates - Anakin? never had the wisdom or experience. obi wan? never powerful enough. qui-gon? never had the combat ability (a sith took him down in very short time. he lacked ability). yoda wins on each count (undefeated swordsman, more experience than any other and last surviving member of the old order, higher midichlorian count than all but anakin who was deeply flawed as we know). he was the only one who seemed to sense the danger of training anakin and one of the few jedi who sensed the turn of the clone armies in episode 3. hands down, he is the greatest. not my favourite (that would be obi-wan) but surely (at least within all 6 films) he is the best of the lot.

10. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    ^ I agree with this. I think Yoda is overall the greatest Jedi, but Obi-Wan is my favorite.

11. DarthKreVass

DarthKreVass Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 27, 2008
    I'd have to say...

Yoda. With 900 years as an ally with the Force, that's a great and strong relationship.

Obi-Wan Kenobi. The two main actors, AG, and EM just brought this Jedi to life. Cheer!

Yoda? He is the Greatest Jedi...EVER!.

But Obi-Wan Kenobi? The most significant Jedi to ever to live.

12. Gary_Buchenara

Gary_Buchenara Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 29, 2009
    Luke. Qui Gon would be the next.

13. d_arblay

May 26, 2005
    Luke is an odd choice. Maybe if he'd defeated the emperor. But he didn't. Anakin has more of a case than Luke I think. Qui-Gon is perhaps the only one who can match Yoda by the end of the story (considering Yoda essentially became his apprentice). But altogether, as an all-round Jedi, you'd have to give the title to Yoda.

14. KratosSky

KratosSky Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 19, 2007
    1.Luke Skywalker
    2.Yoda
    3.Jinn

15. Dark--Helmet

Apr 22, 2003

Luke's really the only choice as he's the one who beats the Sith.Everything Luke did lead to there defeat,taking out the DS along with it's high command,got the Sith openingly planning to over throw one another,didn't fall to the dark side when DV offeredPalps plan to turn Luke gets his forces destroyed,beat both Sith in his lightsabre duel with Vader and turned Anakin back from the Darkside to help Luke beat Palp.Even if Luke fails and is killed by Palp he lead them far enough where the Sith are done.

Anakin is a murderous psychopath who helped bring the Sith into and maintain power.He's the worst Jedi ever.

Most of the PT Jedi where part of the Leadership that bumble and fumbled there way threw the PT and let the Sith come to power.How many times are they going to lose to Dooku and let him get away?The one time Dooku loses and it appears he was holding back.Mace beats Palp then Anakin the Butcher blows it,Yoda loses to Palp ect ect.

QuiGon was great I wish he was in the movies more.

16. starwarsobesses

starwarsobesses Jedi Youngling star 1

May 29, 2008
    My List of great Jedi:

1.Anakin Skywalker
    2.Luke Skywalker
    3.Qui-qon Jinn

17. Gary_Buchenara

Apr 29, 2009

I can't respond to this any better than Helmet did, above. So my response is "What Helmet said"

18. starwarsobesses

starwarsobesses Jedi Youngling star 1

May 29, 2008
    I agree with you.

19. d_arblay

May 26, 2005
    Ummm, I don't think he does. He defeats Vader in a duel but does not kill him for obvious reasons. Anyway, Luke's win is balanced by the fact Vader defeated him in the previous duel. Remember, it is Palpatine who kills Vader and Vader who kills Palpatine in the same act. Vader also killed Count Dooku (rightly or wrongly). Vader tehnically destroyed all last 3 sith - Dooku, Sidious and himself. Luke was the catalyst, admittedly. But Luke was not powerful enough to defeat the Emperor in the end. The Emperor was within seconds of killing him.

The destruction of the first death star wasn't exactly a game changer for the Empire or Palpatine. Sure, it set them back a little and gave the Rebel Alliance time to gain momentum, but this was not a Jedi issue in the end. Luke's barely even a Jedi Padawan at this stage. As for the Sith planning to overthrow one another? Vader was planning to do this in Episode 3 remember so it wasn't a new idea. Luke's existence gave Vader the opportunity to try it, sure. But in the end he doesn't do it out of greed, he does it out of compassion. Luke is Vader's inspiration but that doesn't mean he can claim to be a better jedi. That's like saying Joseph Campbell created Star Wars or should take full responsibility for it. Which is untrue. However George Lucas probably wouldn't have done it had he not read Camobell's work. And no, Luke doesn't accept Vader's offer to go to the dark side. But neither did Obi Wan when Dooku offered him ... or probably hundreds of Jedi before them both.

How? If Palpatine had destroyed Luke, things would have been as before. The Emperor and Vader would have escaped when the evacuation alarms started sounding on the Death Star. There would be no Jedi Knights again and the Sith would still have had their two.

True. I don't think he is the greatest Jedi. He should have been and could have been. But he blew it. I didnt say he was the greatest. I just said he had more of a claim than Luke for reasons outlined before (midi-chlorians, destroying the sith).

Not true. He doesn't lose to him. But he is wise enough to know he cannot defeat Palpatine - its a stalemate. The greatest Jedi vs the greatest Sith. I think at that point Yoda realises it is not his destiny to defeat the Sith. Maybe he realises he is too old. But he knows it is not his fate at that point in the story - that he is better preserving himself for a time when the Jedi can rise up again.

Well we agree there. Liam Neeson did a good job.

20. Dark--Helmet

Apr 22, 2003

It's not balanced, Luke still had his training wheels on in Empire, Luke beats Vader on more of an equal level in ROTJ and still wasn't trained for very long. Luke still defeats 2 highly trained sith one being the master.Vader was beaten mind body and soul,he was done,Luke could have killed him anytime he wanted.Vader did the lifting but it was Luke that did all the work to beat Palp.It's his victory with an assist from Anakin.Luke was plenty powerful to beat Palp,he does in the movie,it just Lukes power's not just physical.The Dooku victory I don't put much stock in as I got the impression Dooku was holding back.

The DS lose was a huge blow for the Sith Empire.Rebels and Jedi aren't destroyed,they have gained there first major victory,Han Solo is changed and becomes an important memeber,Luke lives and his power awakened which starts the Jedi's comeback,the technique is reveled on how to beat such super weapons etc etc etc.

Ep3 Vader mentions it in passing to Padme it's not at the forefront of his mind but it doesn't matter once Padme is dead that fire burns out until Luke shows up.Luke was strong when Anakin was weak,Luke did a great many good deeds while Anakin did many evil deeds,he's a better Jedi for sure.The comparison doesn't work because Luke and GL did all the heavy lifting,so they should get more credit then others.

In the PT and beyond era it's a huge deal to resist the Dark Side.In 3 movies we got 2 major characters(Anakin and Dooku) who where tempted who fall,the Sith are 2 for 3 which is amazing.All the characters should know better and yet they fall. This era is different because there are Sith actively tempting people,many of the Jedi of the past never encountered a Sith or there plans.

In the OT era there's only 3 active Jedi and the Sith run everything,it easy to do the wrong thing.Lukes mentors both die,one early on,the Sith are the Master that beat the Jedi and can give him everything and the other is the father he didn't know.Yet even though Luke flirts with dark side he doesn't fall.That's a big deal.

Because in the PT and beyond era the movies show it doesn't really matter other then a few instances if your a Sith or Jedi because it's the people a

21. Gary_Buchenara

Apr 29, 2009
    To d_arblay:

I didn't actually post any of that stuff. It was someone responding to an earlier post of mine.

22. Grand_Moff_Jawa

Grand_Moff_Jawa Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 31, 2001
    [image=http://www.netmoon.com/starwars/image/actors/kenobii.jpg]

No contest.

23. d_arblay

May 26, 2005
    Apologies, I got confused between you and Dark--Helmet. I think you both agreed strongly in the end though.

24. d_arblay

May 26, 2005
    Luke defeats Vader by giving into his dark side - his anger. Not a great example set there for other Jedi who died before him and who would come later. And he doesn't defeat The Emperor. Perhaps he could have. But he didn't. Vader did that. His motivation for doing it are not important. He was the only one able to do it (as the prophecy suggested). Yoda tried - couldn't. Luke refused to try because he knew he couldn't do it without turning completely to the dark side: "strike me down with all of your anger and your journey towards the dark side will be complete" .... (isn't that line so brilliantly delivered :) to even quote it makes me grin).

Morally he's a much better Jedi, yes. But we're not only talking about that. We're talking achievements, power, ability etc. Luke has very little vs Anakin in this regard.

But Yoda doesn't fall either. And remember it is him I am making a case for as the greatest Jedi. Luke doesn't fall and Anakin does - you're right. But the temptation for Anakin was much greater.

I think we're getting some issues confused. Luke is a very important jedi. Certainly one of the most important ever. But it doesn't mean he should be considered the greatest. Perhaps in the years after ROTJ he will do things that will go on to make him the greatest. But in the context of the films, he doesn't do enough to better Qui-Gon, Anakin and Yoda. Perhaps not even Obi-Wan. Perhaps people confuse their love of the character with his status as a Jedi. He's not the best, he probably never will be the best (and thats kinda why he's the hero: he's the everyman always pushing himself, just getting by, doing what he can). He's probably my fave character in anything. But I'm not going to come out and say he was all these things that he clearly wasn't. It's not a competition where I'm rooting for one guy and somebody is rooting for another. I can only judge it on what I see in the films. And in regard to Luke, I see him as a crucial catalyst for the preservation of the Jedi... but nothing fundamentally more than that.

25. Gary_Buchenara

Apr 29, 2009

All good. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.