main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Who do you think was the worst actor /actress in AOTC?

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by Darth_Arth, Nov 15, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zeva

zeva Jedi Youngling star 2

May 19, 2002
    "I'm amazed fans are now actually complaining about acting star wars."

Thank you for bringing this up. I actually believe that the many, many complaints are a testament to how bad some people acted (I am looking in Natalie's direction). So bad in fact, that even fans of Star Wars, who like you say, are not expecting Masterpiece Theatre caliber performances when they attend a Star Wars film, found some people's acting less than adecuate. The point I am making is that even by the low acting standards of a ST film, people like NP were well below it, so much so, that at times their inadecuacies took attention away from what we love: a good Star Wars film.

As for the fortunes of some actors from the OT: not many "made it", as you say, but while their acting abilities overall are perhaps not up to snuff, they were more than adecuate in the OT. I am still moved, for instance, when Mark Hamill comes back to Dagobah in ROTJ and has the last conversation with Yoda. He first tries to hide his concern at seeing him so old; then tries to pretend he was not concerned; then tries to comfort Yoda as he faces his demise; then feels a sense of sad realization when he learns that may already be a jedi; then he shows conflict at realizing that the only way to fulfill his destiny is by killing his father, and finally he shows deep sorrow over Yoda's death. All of these emotions in just a few minutes, all totally believable through his expression and his eyes, all moving and sincere IMHO. Yes, he didn't end up working for other great directors, but at least he did what he was supossed to do in the OT well, showing the progressive evolution of a character many people love and elevated to a cultural icon.

Just my two cents.

2. Darth_Arth

Darth_Arth Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 10, 2002
    Maybe the problem with some of the love scenes are that you can't have a romantic one in a cgi enviorment.

3. Razorback

Razorback Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 2, 2001
    YJ edit: If you don't have anything constructive to say, don't say anything. Stay on topic.

I was staying on topic noob-Admin. The topic was getting boring so I yawned. Perfectly within context of the conversation.

Is that any different than blasting a movie you hate for 6 months all over these boards sometimes 20 times a day and getting zero friction from the admins?

Perhaps I should start blasting the movie and then I won't get a bold encased message from you.

RB

4. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    "I was staying on topic noob-Admin. The topic was getting boring so I yawned. Perfectly within context of the conversation."

If the topic is getting boring, you have two options. 1. Post something interesting to get discussion flowing, or 2. Find another thread that interests you.

"Is that any different than blasting a movie you hate for 6 months all over these boards sometimes 20 times a day and getting zero friction from the admins?"

There's nothing wrong with people not liking the film. They are free to have their own opinions.

"Perhaps I should start blasting the movie and then I won't get a bold encased message from you."

If you don't like the movie, that's fine. If you like the movie, that's fine. As long as you stay on topic, and don't flame others.

Now, let's go back to discussing who you consider the worst actor / actress in AOTC.

5. 1stAD

1stAD Jedi Youngling star 5

May 10, 2001
    "Maybe the problem with some of the love scenes are that you can't have a romantic one in a cgi enviorment."

Back to this again. What CGI environment were Hayden and Natalie in for the ROMANCE portion of the movie? Seville, Spain is a real place. Caserta, Italy is a real place. And yeah, Tunisia is real too. It's only CGI on Coruscant (which still has sets) and Geonosis, and Geonosis is all action anyways.

6. Darth_Arth

Nov 10, 2002
    1stad, I mean like the shaaks and stuff, and the floating pear.

7. Darth_Arth

Nov 10, 2002
    Your so blinded by SW thinkin its so perfect and all. A like SW but at least I can admit it when I see a flaw in a movie I like.
    But you think everything in SW is perfect,even the acting,which is not.

Just for the record, SW is cool.

8. 1stAD

May 10, 2001
    Are you talking to me?

Have you even read my comments? :confused:

And for the record, Shaaks and pears constitute less than 2 minutes of screen time. They're not to be blamed for any faults of the actors.

9. Darth_Arth

Nov 10, 2002
    No im not talking to you , sorry about that . That was directed to razorback.

Im not saying those things ruined the whole thing I just think its hard to have a love story with imanginary terd lookin monsters runnin around. :)

10. 1stAD

May 10, 2001
    That has nothing to do with the acting however...there is a perfectly good love story thread to complain about that in.

11. darthtj

darthtj Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 27, 2002
    There is a reason Mark Hamill doesn't have a carrer anymore, and Natalie is getter other movies besides Star wars. She can act. He can't. Her acting was much better than Samuel L jackson(an academy award nominee. Even if you don't like her performanc to call her a bad star wars actor while Carrie Fisher and Mark Hamill exist is rather insulting in my view. For the record I love the original trilogy but I'm not going to be blinded by popular critical belief that the original is perfect and the pt is pure crap. I honestly feel a lot of people are saying her performanve is bad because they are trying to come as film connesaurs and just follow critical beliefs.

12. Cantina

Cantina Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 31, 2002
    Actress: The librarian was terrible in my opinion.

13. Razorback

Razorback Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 2, 2001
    If the topic is getting boring, you have two options. 1. Post something interesting to get discussion flowing, or 2. Find another thread that interests you.

Great contradiction from your following comment... so if people don't like the movie they have the freedom to say whatever they want... but if I don't like a thread I better comment as you see fit?

Wonderful logic Jeff.

RB

14. rodan70

rodan70 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 1, 2002
    This is just gonna piss people off. The worst Daniel Logan. That little Boba...

15. Indy2

Indy2 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 22, 2000
    Dont diss Daniel.
    He made Jake Lloyd look like amateur hour.

16. weezyslob

weezyslob Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 3, 2002
    Doesn't piss me off, it's your opinion. I think he did a pretty good job when compared to Jake Lloyd also. I love that look he gives Obi-Wan when he comes to see Jango.

17. 1stAD

May 10, 2001
    There is a reason Mark Hamill doesn't have a carrer anymore, and Natalie is getter other movies besides Star wars.

It's called typecasting. Natalie was established before doing TPM, and TPM didn't have the sort of cultural impact that the original Star Wars did.

And come on, everyone should realize by now that acting talent and getting work don't always go hand in hand. Otherwise Keanu Reeves wouldn't be getting so much work. Hollywood is a brutal town. Raw talent isn't enough to get you steady work.

EDIT: And maybe I wasn't clear enough, I don't think Natalie is a horrible actress at all, but I just think her roles in the Star Wars prequels are a tad uninspired. I sort of expect this, since to the best of my knowledge she has never had formal acting lessons.

18. Dark-Vador

Dark-Vador Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 16, 2001
    I thought the acting was supposed to be in that way... all of the SW films are like that, corny lines, and other parts that make you cringe. But it's all Star Wars. That's why we remember the films and love them, because they're set apart from other films (not only due to their coolness of visual and sound effects mind you :p)

Oh, I thought the worst actor in AOTC was that Techno-union leader guy... if you'd count him.

19. Darth_Arth

Nov 10, 2002
    1stad, Those things did have a part to play in why the love story stunk. I mean their trying to romantic and all, and there is a tic/terd in the backround. [face_laugh]

20. JenX

JenX Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 26, 2002
    YodaJeff said:

To which Razorback replied:

Great contradiction from your following comment... so if people don't like the movie they have the freedom to say whatever they want... but if I don't like a thread I better comment as you see fit?

Wonderful logic Jeff.

Now, the mods can look after themselves, but YodaJeff's statement is logical and does not contradict itself, RB. Your inferences, however, are way off. People who don't like AOTC are not free to say whatever they like; they have to follow the same posting rules as everyone else. Your post was deemed off-topic. Deal with it.

And, on topic, I prefer Mark and Carrie's performances to Hayden and Natalie's. I find them to be more convincing. I don't think their post SW careers are of any value in assessing their performances in the films.

21. vampire-jing

vampire-jing Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 10, 2002
    Agree with you,darthtj.

I don't know what had happened to Samuel L jackson.He's such a great actor,and he loves filming SW.But he's boring in the two films.

Although sometimes Hayden was overacted(and Natalie was underacted),in other scenes they were great.Overall,they did their jod well.

But to Mark and Carrie,I must say,their performances were just average.they didn't have any "great moments",nor "terrible moments",the two were plain and moderate throughout the whole OT.

IMHO,of course.

BTW,I don't follow critical beliefs,either.^_________^

22. Darth_Arth

Nov 10, 2002
    Why does everybody think Hayden was a bad actor. Examples please.

23. weezyslob

weezyslob Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 3, 2002
    People that don't like Hayden's acting don't like the way he portrayed Anakin obviously. Asking them to give examples, they will just list stuff that is their opinion. They will say he was too whiny or something like that, which doesn't mean he was a bad actor, it just means they didn't like the way he played the part. Same with everyone else in the movie, nobody can prove they did a bad job acting because there will always be someone who liked their performance in the movie. Hayden did a great job IMO.

24. Jedi_Critty

Jedi_Critty Jedi Youngling

Nov 27, 2002
    Judging from your opinions most of you think Portman is the worst actress. But I don't know why some of you think Hayden was a bad actor or didn't portray Anain well.

25. SithWraith

SithWraith Jedi Youngling

Nov 28, 2002
    Hi, I'm new here.

I used to truely deeply love starwars, especially the OT (I'm 31), and I still think think there are some good things in the prequels. However, I'm more or less dispointed with what starwars has become. Is it because I grew up, or because Lucas ruined the whole thing, or a little bit of both, I don't know.

The acting is probably one of my biggest problem with the prequels, and especially AOTC.

I do not like Padme/Amidala at all, mostly because of NP's acting, and since she's one of the main character, I'd say she's the worst actress for me. At least she is the one who ruins the films the most, in my opinion.

I find it obvious, maybe I'm wrong, that NP just cannot get into that character and universe. She overplays the "all too serious and concerned politician". It looks to me like each line of dialog puts her in agony. Her voice is almost never natural nor relaxed in the two movies (however I've noticed that there is always something rather frozen and controlled in her intonations, see "Heat" for exemple).

I'm certainly not in a position to give anyone any lesson in acting, but just her intonations get me out of the movies. There has been a lot of talk about whether she had reasons to fall in love with Ani, but I wonder why Anakin would be obsessed with such a charmless (although cute) girl.

She is not human. And the fact that she is a Queen now turned senator (!!!????!!) is no excuse. Lucas, as a director should have seen to it that she finds a better way to impersonate Amidala.

The problem is not hers alone : there is a most naive way to play the political scenes in the prequels. Like it is written on the actors' faces "ok, we are playing very important characters discussing very important matters". It's too much and quite boring. NP just never stops doing that.

However, I would not put the blame on just Lucas and a bad script. I find her acting so lame that she is responsible for it.

With Hayden, it's something else : He is good in some scenes, and he obviously has a great potential.
    I'd blame the dialogs, Lucas' directing, and his haircut and look for his sometimes disapointing performance :

Sorry, but his face alone makes him irritating. I do not like that padawan look (I didn't like Ewan's look in TPM either). It is anti-sexy, polished, cleaner than clean,
    Whatever he says makes him look like an immature whinny teenager (I know it's part of his character, but it's too much ! He also has to be the hero of the trilogy). It doesn't help saying these awful lines.

Hayden is good in his introduction scenes : the elevator, the meeting with padme and the argument with OB1.
    Because these scenes are believable.

It starts to go down when he has to whine about OB in his first scene alone with Padme (it comes too soon and goes too far to be believable), or play over-romantic scenes in an over-romantic context, ...
    I also noticed that he has difficulties with short lines during action scenes : his acting (body language as well as lines delivery) is wooden (see the coruscant chase for exemple and some bits in the end battle).

I know it is a cliché, but all actors seem to have difficulties with all-bluescreen action scenes. Not really for saying their lines, but to move their bodies : their moves, the way they stand, run or walk, reveals that there is a problem. The assembly line sequence is a good exemple. Padme and Ani do not talk, but most of what they do seems a little off.

One last note : Mc Diarmid was the best actor in TPM. Not quite so in AOTC. I'm dispointed by his performance, except in his scene with Anakin. There is something missing. His character should have been written more charismatic and with more authority in that one. The commentary reveals that's what Lucas had in mind ("the people give all power to someone who has great authority"). Palpatine doesn't seem to have any in AOTC. Just a politician, sometimes even goofy (his scene with Mas Amedda).

Sorry for the long post.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.