main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Who do you think was the worst actor /actress in AOTC?

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by Darth_Arth, Nov 15, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hoth-nudist

hoth-nudist Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 5, 2000
    worst actor/actress. HMMM. Too many to name.

2. JenX

JenX Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 26, 2002
    Worst Actor: Hayden/Samuel L Jackson.

It's hard choosing which one is worse. On the one hand, Hayden is pretty bad, and is on screen for a considerable amount of time...thus I see more bad acting from hiom then any other actor. On the other hand, SLJ is absolutely awful in both TPM and AOTC...but is only on screen for about 5 minutes. So, tough call.

Worst Actress: Natalie.

Easy pick, although I did like parts of the Naboo/Sound of Music scene.

3. Razorback

Razorback Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 2, 2001
    Because in my no-budget film, overdubs are the necessary evil that will make my project listenable.

Then you know of what I speak. Sometimes you have a superb performance and because of noise you have to overdub it and you never get the passion back. You stick with the scene because of the performance and the best you can do is wish that things had worked better with sound. :)

OR... you re-shoot the scene... which is often not an option (as there is no guarantees).

Anyway, I stand by my comments. MOST of you have no idea what a good or bad performance makes. And when you mean "acting" don't use the word "performance". That is like saying "I'm arguing my opinion." You do not argue an opinion... you forward and opinion. You argue a point. :)

RB

4. Darth_Arth

Darth_Arth Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 10, 2002
    You don't have to be a film director to notice bad acting(performances) Razorback.

5. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    Of all the SW films, I feel AOTC had the best performances. In fact, AOTC is the first SW film in which I think all of the actors nailed it.

i agree. i believed all the actors did a fine job & i had no problems w/ any of the acting.

DarthTunick,
    i [face_love] California!

6. darkOmegazer0

darkOmegazer0 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 18, 2002
    Yeah well the acting was fine when it comes down to it, I just don't like all the romance too much and stuff but it's not that their acting wasn't good. Outside of AOTC from what I've seen the best actors are: Ewan McGregor, Samuel L. Jackson, & Christopher Lee.
    Nobody lay that Life as a house *stuff* on me...go see Trainspotting, Pulp Fiction and Dracula (one of the ones w/ Lee)

7. zeva

zeva Jedi Youngling star 2

May 19, 2002
    Yeah, like he said! None of you know anything! Only Razorback knows what he's talking about!! How dare you even attempt to "forward an opinion" when none of you is even remotely close to Razorback's immense intellect? Shut the thread down and let us all simply read Razorback's opinion on all the rest of the threads as a mailing list! No more discussions between neophytes!

Please.

Just to make sure: I am being sarcastic...BTW, if you are going to use the plural of guarantee, you should write "there ARE no guarantees" I know you knew this, oh master, but I figured you...oh, never mind.

8. Danny Torrance

Danny Torrance Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 13, 2000
    Lagniappe- I agree, if there were more roles for women in sci-fi, and movies in general, and more than one main role for women within one movie, then there is more opportunity to show that there is more than one 'type' of woman.

In Star Wars, there is only one main female role, and Padme in this case is "The Woman", the "Love Interest"...so she is burdened with having to represent what everyone wants to see in a female role, and thus if they are not pleased with that actress/role, there is no other to look to.

9. Ben-Obi-Wan-Kenobi

Ben-Obi-Wan-Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 28, 1999
    unfortunatly....

10. Danny Torrance

Feb 13, 2000
  11. Ben-Obi-Wan-Kenobi

Ben-Obi-Wan-Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 28, 1999
    sometimes i do regret things i ve said
    not bcs i have , but the way how i said it

12. nEo_sKyWaLkEr

nEo_sKyWaLkEr Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 6, 2002
    How can you say that there was a sole bad actor in Star Wars. Alright, sure everyone had the corny line here and there (That was short. I'm quite beside myself) But every movie has that, even Star Wars. I mean how could you bash these people, without them, there would be no Star Wars universe. Thats the problem with fans Some of you are so picky that you miss the experience of the movie.
    If you have such a problem, make the movie yourself. What, no takers, I thought so.

13. 1stAD

1stAD Jedi Youngling star 5

May 10, 2001
    Typical...

[face_plain]

And I AM making my own movie. Try reading the thread, sunshine.

14. DarthBane93

DarthBane93 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 11, 1999
    Natile Portman's acting was horrible. Not her fault though...its GL's.

Notice how her more "real" scenes (the deleted scenes with the family and such) are much more poignant. She comes across with real feelings.

Her scenes with Anakin are real too...but since the story didnt mold their love in a beliveable situation, the loves scenes just turned out to be crap.

GL should have kept those scenes in...forget about the time constrainsts, focus in on the characters and the story and giving them some depth. OF course he doenst care for that...its secondary...so there she blows.

15. 1stAD

May 10, 2001
    I thought those scenes had Natalie's worst moments...

16. Darth_Arth

Nov 10, 2002
    Guys I still like Star Wars so please don't say I'm a cold hearted fan that wants to bash everybody, ok.

To the people who thought the deleted scenes should've been put back in. I agree that Natalie acted a little better in thoes scenes(except the scene where she adresses the senete) but the over all scene in my opinion was just PLAIN CORNY!

For Example- There sun was imploding and I went there with a relief group to help relocate the chilldren. And his name was(forgot his name), which means sweet-heart. [face_laugh]

HA HA HA HA HA HA, Sorry,....but that was funny. This ain't no freakin disney movie!

17. LeeKenobi

LeeKenobi Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 13, 2002
    That whole "the sun was imploding" line was pretty corny.....

Like Padme was the Star Wars version of Jimmy Carter......

Relocation = Habitat for Humanity?

Anyways.

Worst actor: Hayden Christensen
    Mannequin Skywalker......too stiff and inanimate.

Worst actress: That Jedi whose only line was "Hiya!" when cutting down a battle droid.

18. Razorback

Razorback Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 2, 2001
    yawn

YJ edit: If you don't have anything constructive to say, don't say anything. Stay on topic.

19. weezyslob

weezyslob Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 3, 2002
    I posted on here already and said Natalie Portman was terrible, but after watching AOTC all the way through with no interruptions today, she isn't that bad anymore. I'm starting to think she did an ok job. I still say she was the worst actor in the movie because I don't think anyone else did bad at all, but just 'cause she's the worst IMO doesn't mean I think she was terrible.

20. Darth_Scarlet

Darth_Scarlet Jedi Youngling star 1

May 20, 2002
    I think everyone did a bang up job!

21. Danny Torrance

Feb 13, 2000
    When I first watched the movie it was mainly Anakin and Padme's "love story" lines that didn't impress me. Talking about guessing the birds singing and loving the water and so on, all the way to that "truly, deeply" line. Then again, some of Anakin's lines were right up there with her, sand being coarse and rough and wishing to wish away feelings.

But since all things good and bad become part of SW folklore anyway, I also watched it again with an open mind and saw there were more subtle moments in Natalie and Hayden's acting beyond the "cheesy" lines and awkwardness. For example, Padme giving a lot of confused, suspicious looks to Anakin in the meadow, and her eyes filling with tears when she declares her love for Anakin before they enter the arena. These were very important moments and they ultimately worked for me.

Hayden has subtle moments as well- when he tells Padme that he's been dreaming about her (in the Naboo freighter) and the moment of discomfort that it brings about, as well as his reaction to his mother's death, also override any other shaky moments in his acting.

So their relationship is ultimately believeable to me, regardless of my own and others' criticisms.

22. Darth_Arth

Nov 10, 2002
    Razorback if you don't want to discuss this topic then why do you even post here?

23. pandawan

pandawan Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 12, 2002
    While I thought SLJ chose some odd speech cadence at times, I really think all but one actor did quite well in AOTC...

NATALIE PORTMAN WRECKED AOTC, IMHO of course.

I just saw the VHS version of AOTC (only one left in the galaxy without a DVD perhaps), and seeing it a couple more times really confirmed for me that she soooo didn't do her job properly, that it came really close to wrecking the movie, for me anyway.

I think she did mostly fine in the meadow, and not too far from ok in the before-the-arena i-love-you scene, and somewhat ok in the anakin-confessing-to-tusken-slaugher scene, but she wrecked the fireplace scene, and she did really badly in many others. Her speech sounds like she is tripping over her lips or on sedatives, slurred sloppy and monotone.

This came home especially well to me in the selection of deleted scenes they play at the end of the VHS version...I wonder if they're the same scenes as in the DVD or if the VHS only includes a sub-sample. But the in-succession sequence of the family scene, the padme-packing-bedroom scene, the interrogation scene and the trial scene makes it clear to me that her emotions were pretty much the same in all, at least in her voicing, in her speech. I liked her most when she wasn't talking. She's quite gorgeous, and she looks very much the part of mom to luke and leia, and I think she did really fine in TPM, but she seemed half-asleep in this film, and barely able to register changes in her voice. She says "This is an act of war archduke; I hope you're prepared for the consequences" in exactly the same way as she says "I will not let you give up your life for me". And it all slurs along...I can see why GL cut those extra love-story related scenes as "not advancing the story enough for the screen-time they use"...she just stinks I think here. I don't know what happened to her in this movie...I hear (though haven't brought myself to see her other non-SW work) that she can be quite good. I can't blame GL for it all...an actress might get it 'wrong' if a director doesn't do what he needs to do, but I see little evidence that she's trying much of anything. And I'm just not buying the 'oh but her eyebrows tell it all' stuff...I didn't see enough in her brows for it to overcome the monotone and frankly annoying voice. Her performance makes Hayden look worse than he otherwise would, because he's playing I'd guess to what he's imagining Padme would be doing, and because any actual emotion seen next to her basically non-presence-but-for-the-dress-and-sultry-eyes looks incongruent. I've just never persisted like this in any star wars movie in feeling like a performance is just wrong....and I feel like her's is.

24. darthtj

darthtj Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 27, 2002
    I'm amazed fans are now actually complaining about acting star wars. Where were these fans when Mark Hamill played Luke Skywalker. The one thing the pt definetly has better to me is acting. Bot that I love the ot any less but it is not about the acting. Mark Hamill can't act. What has he done besides cartoon voiceovers? Carrie fisher is only acting because of her parents. Haeeison Ford is in the same cateogy as Schwartzenegar in that he is more a movie personna than actor. James Earl Jones is doing commercials. Let's be real the actors in the pt have already done more than most have in the ot.

25. 1stAD

May 10, 2001
    "Mark Hamill can't act."

Reviews for Broadway productions of The Elephant Man and Amadeus suggest otherwise.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.