main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Who Do You Trust???.......Marvel's Secret Invasion ***Spoilers***

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by Jedi_Master_Conor, Mar 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FlareStorm

FlareStorm Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 13, 2000
    I'm really surprised this is getting so much attention. The past few years its been Marvel Events = meh. Oh, its the Skrulls, meh.

Guess I'll have to get caught up

2. Spiderfan

Spiderfan Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 9, 2004
    ITs still pretty meh but since events like this shape the direction of the comics for the next year or two its worth while to be caught up with what is going on.

3. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998
    It's actually pretty fun.

There, I said it. I expected to hate it, but I'm enjoying SI more than FC.

There, I said it again.

Anyhow: I figure that the heroes from the Skrull ship are failed agents. Basically, Skrull that went too deep into their identities, just like Captain Marvel did. They all really do think that they're the real heroes and that the other heroes are the fakes. The Skrull probably initially were just ready to wipe them out and work with what they had, and then it occured to them that they could be useful in their current state. Either they don't want to kill their good friends, hoping that they can reclaim them when it's over, or they're confident that they'll not be a problem to handle and that they'll handle their counterparts in the meantime.

4. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    I really, really, really hope that Tony Stark is not a Skrull.

5. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    I could've sworn that Bendis confirmed that neither Tony nor Steve Rogers were Skrulls months before Secret Invasion started. My guess is that this is all a mind**** on Spider-Woman/Skrull Queen's part. It takes him out of the picture if Tony thinks he can't even trust himself.

6. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    Anyone been catching the Mighty, New, and Initiative Avengers or any other tie-ins?

7. Spiderfan

Mar 9, 2004
    I am inclined to agree that Stark is not a Skrull and that the Skrulls are indeed playing mindgames to cause further problems for Stark and Co.

8. Mikaboshi

Mikaboshi Force Ghost star 6

Jul 12, 2005
    I have been keeping up with them, in fact The Young Avengers is about the only thing I haven't bought.

9. Darth-Lando

Aug 12, 2002
    Frontline was good this week. I've really enjoyed all the Frontline tie-ins. I think it's a great way to see how these big Marvel events affect the average person.

10. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    What happened in Frontline? I'm on the fence on getting that tie-in.

11. BartSimpson-SithLord

BartSimpson-SithLord Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 24, 2002
    Does Frontline still chronicle the story from the view of the biggest ***** of the Marvel Universe, Sally Floyd? If so, unless she finally gets a super-powered fist through her head, I'm staying far far away from that tie-in.

12. Darth-Lando

Aug 12, 2002
    It tells the story of the initial Skrull invasion in New York City from a couple people's perspective. Ben Ulrich was interviewing a nurse about gang violence when the Skrulls showed up. You see their stories as well as a taxi driver who had previously had a costly encounter with Spider-Man and a marketing executive for the Avengers. In fact he's in the middle of pitching Skrull action figures as part of a "Fantastic Four's Greatest Enemies" toyline when the invasion begins.

Sally Floyd has shown up yet but I won't be surprised if she does.

13. Twinky_Stryder

Twinky_Stryder Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 16, 2003
    I'm reading Runaways/Young Avengers and when I read issue one all I could think of was Xavin going "Oh yes, Xavin's chance to shine baby".

Which is cool because she came across as a total jerk in the last crossover they did.

14. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    I believe it was confirmed a while back she wouldn't be in this. It would only be Ben.

15. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    Floyd is Paul Jenkins' baby. I doubt she'll show up without him.

16. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    The last page of Secret Invasion #4 = :cool:

17. Soontir-Fel

Soontir-Fel Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2001
    So how many issues does it take to actually move the story?

18. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    That's my question. Issue 1 was not bad. Issue 2 was a fight scene that was mostly irrelevant to the invasion. Issue 3 was a bunch of teasers for all the tie-ins. We have this big invasion, but how much time has elapsed since the Skrulls actually invaded in force? An hour? We're halfway through and pretty much nothing has happened.

19. Spiderfan

Mar 9, 2004
    Its an EPIC Bendis story...it won't get interesting until the last two or three issues and leave you unsatisfied when its done. House of M moved at the same pace and the only interesting part of that was M-Day (Decimation). Bendis trying to do Epic is just painful.

20. Hoojib_Wrangler

Hoojib_Wrangler Jedi Knight

Jul 18, 2006
    Yeah, those were two very exciting panels. Although it leaves me a bit confused, especially since I'm reading hisbook as well.

And poor Ms. Marvel. Yet even with her predicament, the Sad Fan Boy in me wonders if Fury's blast removed the rest of her costume. Because...mrrrow!

21. Soontir-Fel

Soontir-Fel Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2001
    I was indifferent to SI before, but Fury's gun makes me actively hate it.

22. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I like that they're not trying to rush it by compacting a long series of events into only an issue or two. The two most exciting and interesting parts of an invasion is when the invasion strikes,. and after it's over if it's successful. It seems the second half of SI will be focusing on the latter, while the first 4 focused on the former. Though I agree #2 was largely irrelevant (unless the NA: Breakout connection ends up playing a much more significant role).

The overall invasion has been more entertaining when reading the three Avengers titles tie-ins. I love finding out the backstory of the invasion plans and the moments people are switched (I remember thinking "Damn, this Skrull is messing up Pym's personal life big time...oh wait, he's not a skrull yet" [face_laugh] ), and Fury's mini-arc was decent too. I love the Skrull blackened warehouse meeting scenes the most though (Jarvis convincing them they should leave Sentry alone by just telling them his backstory to convey just how messed up he is was great), I'd love to see a "Skrull warehouse meetings" miniseries. :D

But the main storyline has accomplished of events within a short time span and stands alone well, I think. So long as they avoid the pacing/timeframe concerns raised in this thread, which could threaten to make the invasion seem like a "flash in the pan" moment, instead of an extended event.

23. Spiderfan

Mar 9, 2004
    Yeah it would be typically lame of Marvel to spend years building towards this event, spending months hyping it up and its over in a matter of days or even hours. At this point I am not expecting a big payoff with this event. I just want to see the hanging threads from the last few years somewhat resolved.

Though I wonder if the big reveal from the last issue has come this early, than what's up their sleeves still.

24. Darth-Lando

Aug 12, 2002
    SI is much slower paced than Marvels other recent events. Civil War took place over the course of a few weeks while Secret Invasion is halfway over and still on the first day of the Invasion. I think it's not what a lot of people expected. It would be kind of silly of the whole event that had been planned for years turned out to be a flash in the pan that didn't last more than a few days. My biggest complaint is that SI is supposed to be a global event yet, with the excetption of the Captain Britain tie-in, everything has taken place in either the Savage Land or New York City so far. I'd really like to see how the rest of the world is dealing with a full blown alien invasion.

25. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Deadpool :D

Going by the solicitations, The last 2 or 3 issues will transition from "Who do you trust?" to being centered around the Skrulls' "Embrace change" proclamation, and we'll see a split between heroes around those who are bent on defending the planet and those who are embracing the invasion as a new era.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.