main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Who do you want to direct Episode 7?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by PrincessKenobi , Oct 31, 2012.

1. -polymath-

-polymath- SFF:F/TV Trivia Host star 4 VIP - Game Host

Jun 7, 2007
    Bryan Singer would be awful. His films are largely boring. Only X2 was fun and even that was off kilter.

Kevin Smith would be too much of a fanboy just like JJ. Tim Burton would never work. I can't see HBC in the GFFA nor can I see Johnny Depp but whatever. Peter Jackson would be okay but he's been defined by the Tolkein movies. Why play in another person's sandbox? Guillermo is too---off.

Honestly, I like the Brad Bird suggestion quite a bit. And if Christopher Nolan could shift his mindset to the GFFA, then he might be okay. But I think his movies are far too dense (in both good and bad ways) for it to work in Star Wars.

NoChesterHester likes this.
  2. Chrono85

Chrono85 Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 31, 2012
    I don't see how his Britishness fits into it, but he does look like a good candidate as well :) Still, in my dream world, it would be Whedon! I also just thought of Nicholas Meyer, who is still around, but I'm not sure if he's still making movies. Ben Affleck has actually shown himself to be a good director, but I think he is tied up with the film adaption of The Stand right now.

3. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    I would have loved for Joss Whedon to do it (especially over his own nerdout about all this), but it's a shame he'll be busy with Avengers 2.

I would love a JJ Abrams Star Wars, though I guess that depends on if he's too busy with Trek 3. But think of the lens flares!

4. Guybrush

Guybrush Jedi Master star 3

Oct 18, 2001
    Haven't been on this website since.....05,04? Forum has changed..
    Anyway, my picks for director.
    On a visual level, I would choose Ridely Scott. I would love to see his vision of a Star Wars world. My only draw back is could he bring in a kinetic energy into his awesome visual style?
    A dark horse director would be....and people might scratch their head here...is Ben Affleck. This is a talented, get dirty style of director who is hungry to demostrate he has what it takes to be a top level director. Gone baby Gone, The Town, Argo. Has a great style and is good with action and humor. Not a big fan of Affleck the actor, but he is proving to be a very good director. Just needs a shot, like jon favreau.

No I don't believe Favreau should do it. He is good and did a great job with Iron Man, not big on cowboys and aliens, not huge on Iron Man two.

J.J. Abrams would be a good choice but he is tied into Star Trek, not sure he could balance both franchises and give 100 percent to both.

Bad_Feeling likes this.
  5. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Danny Boyle or David Lynch would be fun.

FinleySlade likes this.
  6. Sistros

Sistros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 24, 2010
    you do know my Tim Burton idea was a joke right? :p

James Cameron, hmmm, now there is an idea

Spielberg would be ok as he knows Lucas and what he intends, however he might make it about man opressing droids or rancors and play on sentimentalism

Bryan Singer: no thanks

7. Guybrush

Guybrush Jedi Master star 3

Oct 18, 2001
    Haven't been on this website since.....05,04? Forum has changed..
    Anyway, my picks for director.
    On a visual level, I would choose Ridely Scott. I would love to see his vision of a Star Wars world. My only draw back is could he bring in a kinetic energy into his awesome visual style?
    A dark horse director would be....and people might scratch their head here...is Ben Affleck. This is a talented, get dirty style of director who is hungry to demostrate he has what it takes to be a top level director. Gone baby Gone, The Town, Argo. Has a great style and is good with action and humor. Not a big fan of Affleck the actor, but he is proving to be a very good director. Just needs a shot, like jon favreau.

No I don't believe Favreau should do it. He is good and did a great job with Iron Man, not big on cowboys and aliens, not huge on Iron Man two.

J.J. Abrams would be a good choice but he is tied into Star Trek, not sure he could balance both franchises and give 100 percent to both.

Another guy would be Robert Zemeckis...get him back into live action.

No Brad Bird...I like him in animation but he wasn't used to the one shot deal of live action and it hurt John Carter. He would not be my choice, way to risky.

8. Jango_Fett21

Jango_Fett21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    Lawrence Kasden (yes, THAT Lawrence Kasden).

9. GargantuanThrillMachine

GargantuanThrillMachine Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 7, 2012
  10. Darth_Martus

Darth_Martus Jedi Knight star 1

May 11, 2011

The Britishness was because he had to have been a childhood friend of Mark Millar and been around London to be able to visit the set for Empire that's all.

11. Beaker416

Beaker416 Jedi Youngling

Nov 4, 2004
    Great minds think alike :)

12. Lord_Dubi

Lord_Dubi Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 3, 2012
    Stephen Spielberg, Peter Jackson, or Joss Whedon

13. Diggs

Diggs Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2012
    Any one of Whedon, Del Toro, Brad Bird would be fantastic and a good fit for SW I think. Edgar Wright, Duncan Jones would also be fantastic. Nolan or Fincher would be incredibly exciting, but would they be the best fit? JJ Abrams would also be good.

I'm just hoping they go with someone who really gets what makes SW tick and who good actors will want to work with. If Disney/ Kennedy take the care and time to get these right they will be massive (they will do well regardless, but imagine what they will make if the new films are critical and word of mouth hits).

14. Billy_Dee_Binks

Billy_Dee_Binks Force Ghost star 4

Mar 29, 2002
    Perhaps one director for each movie?

Steven Spielberg
    Tim Burton
    Brad Bird

15. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    no to Jackson although it wouldn't be the end of the world.

What Disney is implying is that we are getting a new trilogy based on a treatment from Lucas but they said they plan to release new SW fims (i.e. not just the trilogy) every 2-3 years, so hopefully we'll get a bunch of directors wanting to take a crack at it.

Did Brad Bird do the last MI, by the way? Thought it was the best of the MI films.

Edit: I too was thinking Duncan Jones, although does he have the experience with a film of this size? They could get his dad to do the soundtrack too. ;)

In fact, I'd bet there are plenty of directors who are super-excited, but also thinking "this is the first non-Lucas SW film, what if I get another TPM/AOTC?" :p

Certainly expectations will be through the roof.

16. Chrono85

Oct 31, 2012
    I did not mention Whedon origionally, but I do think that he is the best choice, if he is willing to hand over the reigns to Avengers 2 to someone else, and maybe stay on as an executive producer or something. Brad Bird did Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol, which was all kinds of awesome, so I could see him at least handling the action scenes well. I know Cameron is turning Avatar into a trilogy, so that will keep him busy for a long while, and didn't really like Avatar very much =/ I still Say Aliens and T-2 are his best :).

17. khuddle

khuddle Jedi Master star 1

Oct 17, 2008
    Please, PLEASE not James Cameron. He doesn't care about the story at all, just his over the top special effects.
    Did any of you manage to stay awake during Avatar? or Titanic? He doesn't CARE about making good movies,
    just amassing millions and using the films as vehicles for his over the top special effects. He might be an even worse
    choice than Lucas himself.

solojones and Sabertrader like this.
  18. sshindel

sshindel Jedi Youngling

Apr 12, 2005
    Love the idea of Matthew Vaughn. Stardust is highly overlooked, and X-men First Class is top notch. Other would be, in order:
    Brad Bird
    Joss Whedon
    Every other director
    Ron Howard

19. khuddle

khuddle Jedi Master star 1

Oct 17, 2008
    Fixed.

StampidHD280pro and sshindel like this.
  20. Diggs

Diggs Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2012
    Vaughn would be interesting too. Duncan Jones wouldn't have dealt with this kind of budget yet, but he would really take the proper care of it. I want someone who understands why it matters to so many to get this right. For me that would be someone who cites ESB as their favourite and why that one works so well - importance of character, story and a sense of a real world that we can engage in. Just my personal taste - understand others will feel differently.

21. Chrono85

Oct 31, 2012
    X-men: first class is great, but I can't decide between Spielberg or Whedon as the best choice. Whedon is obviously just an amazing writer and director, who I'm sure would do Star Wars justice, but Spielberg is also amazing, and is the most logical choice to revive Star Wars, as far as his cred goes. Robert Zemeckis is worth thinking about as well.

22. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Brad Bird

23. TheVortex3

TheVortex3 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 24, 2012
    I want either Steven Spielberg or JJ Abrams to direct episode 7.

24. yodasbum

yodasbum Jedi Grand Master star 2

Nov 4, 2004
    Visually the PT was outstanding and didn't have as much cgi as people thought and i think Ilm can sort that side out. The PT story was sound and just needed a few serious trims "If you follow your thoughts through to conclusion they will take us down a path we can not go" "I was wondering, what are midicrapions". So George has the story covered we just need a script writer- Mr Goldman. So I would like a director who can handle sfx but more importantly acting and dialogue. Maybe a director who can act and film efficently, like Kenneth Branagh.

25. fettmaster39

fettmaster39 Jedi Master star 3

Jun 9, 2005
    Joss has Avengers, Singer is doing the new X-men, Perter Jackson has the Hobbit movies, and Cameron has Avatars 2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11 & 12 to make.

Speilberg would be a good choice.