main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Who do you want to direct Episode 7?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by PrincessKenobi , Oct 31, 2012.

1. TheMasterOfSoresu

TheMasterOfSoresu Jedi Master star 1

Jan 23, 2011
    That film is utterly atrocious.

Sem Mendes

2. Varactyl

Varactyl Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 13, 2012
    Michael Bay is working on Transformers 4 for a 2014 release (yeah really, I didn't even know till I googled - spoiler, Lebeouf is out). So Bay's out too, if he was ever in the running to begin with.

I'm dying to know what 1952 is that has Bird and Lindeolf so busy that they could not shelve it for a while in favor of putting Bird in the director's chair for ep 7. Either somebody's lying or we're all wrong and they never had him in mind for it, if Disney planned the buy while moving on 1952 at the same time.

(Seems odd to me to be developing an original scifi product when you know you're about to buy Star Wars...is it just me that is curious about that? Maybe the timing was different than what I'm thinking, or else I'm just looking at it the wrong way.)

3. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
  4. Chrono85

Chrono85 Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 31, 2012
    Hopefully Brenda Chapman is on that list too :) With Bird allegedly having this 1952 movie coming up, and Vaughn having the Secret Service movie, that could take either of them out of the picture, unless they finish those movies quickly enough, or delay them.

5. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    Since Bird is already working for Disney, I'm sure they could adjust his schedule if needed.

6. The-Eternal-Hero

The-Eternal-Hero Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Disagree. I think it's the best JB movie ever made for people who love the original books.

Darthsuggs likes this.
  7. Luukeskywalker

Luukeskywalker Force Ghost star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    I just saw The Avengers tonight for the first time. Guys, I have nothing against Joss Whedon. But it seems to me that EVERYONE has been naming him as someone who should be a candidate to direct it because Avengers is so loved and highly regarded.

Frankly, after seeing Avengers, I can't say Joss would be one of my higher choice to direct Ep7. I was not all that impressed with Avengers. There were parts that were well done. BUt it just wasn't what I would call a great movie. Yeah, maybe you could call it that if you consider a bunch of poster-like action poses from the heroes thrown in to qualify as a great movie and a couple of fun scenes. Overall it just reminded me of a superhero version of the TRansformers movie, and that folks is not a good thing.

Right now I am not sure who I want to direct the movie. Frankly I think some of the directors people have suggested are a bit overrated. I love Spielberg, but he already said he isn't doing it.

At this point, I guess I wouldn't mind some unknown guy that Lucas and Kennedy like that no one has heard of. Maybe someone to has a bit of that fire in them to make something big, that has something to prove. Alot of these guys are already established, and maybe that could hurt the flick.

Darth_Kiryan likes this.
  8. Palpatine2016

Palpatine2016 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    Jon Favreau would be a perfect fit, in my opinion. A Star Wars fan, and a very capable director.

9. phatdude1138

phatdude1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2005
    I'm glad to see a few people have views similar to mine. I agree with Joss Whedon not being right for it. Then again, I really don't want to trust anyone else with it. I do like the idea of Spielberg too, but we know he's not going to be doing it. Also Brad Bird is being thrown around a lot, and even though I like a couple of things he's directed, it doesn't necessarily mean it will translate to Star Wars.

To be honest I'd feel more comfortable with a Lucasfilm insider or a nobody.

FRAGWAGON likes this.
  10. phatdude1138

phatdude1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2005
    I personally wouldn't say "perfect" for SW, but I will agree with you Jon Favreau is definitely on my short list of directors for EP7

Darthsuggs likes this.
  11. Serpico Jones

Serpico Jones Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Jon Favreau makes the most sense. Frankly I'm surprised they haven't announced him as the director already.

12. TheMasterOfSoresu

Jan 23, 2011
    If you love over-cliched plots (which are forgotten half way through; the list of agent names anyone?), wooden acting, forced unfunny humour (they showed a shot of the bulldog for about 10 seconds at the start) and overall; simply boring.

The film turned into a bad version of Home Alone - which is a great film - and a awful version of The Dark Knight.

Comparing it to previous James Bonds is no determiner of critical success in my honest opinion - especially seeing as it was nothing like a James Bond film, but worse.

13. TheMasterOfSoresu

Jan 23, 2011
    Anyone who says Jon Favreau hasn't seen the pilot of 'Revolution' which he directed. It has to be the worst TV pilot on this planet and confirms that he simply cannot be a director of Star Wars.

If you think I'm just being critical, its IMDB rating is 6.6 which is terribly low for a TV show. I wouldn't recommend watching it for yourselves to find out.

The only films remotely watchable that he has directed are Elf and Iron Man I. And I expect more from Star Wars.

14. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    If you're going to give any value to an IMDB rating, Skyfall's is 8.1. Just a heads up.

15. TheMasterOfSoresu

Jan 23, 2011
    I said I wouldn't recommend people watching it for themselves and I doubt many have had the misfortune to. It's not that I value IMDB, I simply mentioned it to say 'everyone hates it, not just me'

16. The-Eternal-Hero

Nov 3, 2012
    Disagree across the board. Home Alone...??! :confused: The best thing about it is that it's nothing like a JB movie and very much like a JB novel by Ian Fleming. But I've said my part. Sorry you didn't appreciate it.

17. TheMasterOfSoresu

Jan 23, 2011
    You disagree and yet don't say why?

Yes, Home Alone. James Bond started booby trapping his own home (as if it would aid him in his attempt to save M against 40 or so men with rifles, when he should never have taken M there and instead ambushed the villain with a bunch of agents :rolleyes: ).

[face_sigh]

These films are an insult to our intelligence, and in my opinion, it really sais a lot.

18. The-Eternal-Hero

Nov 3, 2012
    This isn't a Skyfall thread and I don't do back/forth arguments in forums, it's a waste of time.

Your comment "sais" a lot too.

19. Alderaan Luke

Alderaan Luke Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 6, 2012
    The last 007 film was not that bad. I think it was way better than Quantum of Solace. My main problem with Skyfall is Daniel Craig. I think he is not a bad actor, but i DON'T LIKE HIM AS JAMES BOND. I don't think he is elegant and suave enough. He looks to me like a villain instead of Bond. And he is quite wooden-faced.

Oh, and yes, you can tell me: "But in the original books Bond was aggressive and badass".

I don't care. I prefer the Sean Connery version of Bond.

20. TheMasterOfSoresu

Jan 23, 2011

Resorting to a typo, how telling.

We are discussing directors, so you could argue it isn't even a SW thread.

21. The-Eternal-Hero

Nov 3, 2012
    I'd agree but I can't get IM2 out of my head.

22. Serpico Jones

Serpico Jones Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Iron Man 2 wasn't Favreau's fault. He was sent into filming without a script.

23. The-Eternal-Hero

Nov 3, 2012
    Seriously? That totally explains that movie!

Hey, any CW vets are cool in my book...minus Simon Pegg :p

LawJedi likes this.
  24. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Can’t believe I didn’t think of this before. I think it could actually be Rupert Wyatt, or at least he would be a good bet. He directed the amazing Rise of the Planet of the Apes, BTW. The reason why I think it could be him is that he dropped out of directing the Apes sequel a few months back. No real concrete reason was given. Since then, we’ve literally heard nothing of Rupert Wyatt. It’s like he’s disappeared off the radar. Could be.

Also, Jon Favreau is another good bet. The film he was supposed to be directing next has fallen apart at Warner Bros. So he’s all of a sudden a free agent. I like what Favreau did with Iron-Man, but Iron-Man 2 was pretty awful. I’m, sorry, but it was.

25. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    It's gonna be funny if the winner is the name that hasn't occurred to anyone here :)

JainaSoloYJK likes this.