main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Who do you want to direct Episode 7?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by PrincessKenobi , Oct 31, 2012.

1. Chaos123x

Chaos123x Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 5, 2012
    Maybe in the treament it is a time of peace as Luke rebuilds the Jedi, meanwhile Lukes pre-teen students go on a adventure to introduce the Gungans to the Ewoks antics ensue....

2. Serpico Jones

Serpico Jones Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    I would be shocked if Disney hired Shyamalan after he ripped them to shreds in his book.

3. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    Aside from Jar Jar gungans are too serious ;)

4. DarthLowBudget

DarthLowBudget Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 17, 2004
    Reply? Umm, have you seen Gone, Baby, Gone? Or any of the other films he has directed? He's easily becoming one of the most talented filmmakers in Hollywood. Second coming of Sydney Pollack and all that.

FinleySlade likes this.
  5. -NaTaLie-

Nov 5, 2001
    I heard Argo is good. Not sure I wanna see it though.

6. DarthLowBudget

DarthLowBudget Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 17, 2004
    Still, I don't necessarily want a "dream director" on this movie.

What does this even mean?

FinleySlade likes this.
  7. Chaos123x

Nov 5, 2012
    I heard he was the Bomb in phantoms. but i never saw it.

LawJedi likes this.
  8. Chaos123x

Nov 5, 2012
    All signs are pointing at Shamlama ding dong unfortunalty.

9. Diggs

Diggs Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2012
    You don't need a "dream director". SW is pretty much its own genre with a fairly locked in style and feel. Get a great shooter who knows how to focus on character and performance, who gets this kind of mythic storytelling, gets the right balance of humour and stakes and who wants to achieve as much "in camera" reality as possible and you're off to a good start.

EDIT - What signs exactly are pointing to M. Knight? I'll eat my Fedora if it's him.*

*I may not.

JainaSoloYJK and DarthBrian like this.
  10. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    M Night & Bay would be horrid, no way would I see this movie if either of them directed it.

Not feeling love for Johnston either, as big a fan as he is and as much experience of working on the OT as he might have he's still made pretty meh movies.

He hasn't made a really good film since Jumanji

11. Chaos123x

Nov 5, 2012

I liked Captain America.

12. -NaTaLie-

Nov 5, 2001
    I loved The Sixth Sense. It was fun to watch it even if you knew the twist. Harvey Joel Osment was great, folks wanted him to be Anakin. But I didn't like any of his other movies, so I guess that was a fluke.

13. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    I liked it too, but liking is not enough. It was a 3star movie at best, and JP3 made me angry even though it had several good bits in it.

To me Johnston would make SW movies more like the PT and less like the OT, which is not something I personally want.

14. -NaTaLie-

Nov 5, 2001
    I suspect the feel of the ST would be more dependent on the script and we know that Arndt loves ANH. IMO ANH was the best in terms of balancing mythology and some serious themes with tongue-in-cheek swashbuckling adventure.

TheMasterOfSoresu likes this.
  15. Diggs

Diggs Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2012
    I dunno, I figure him for an OT guy.

16. -NaTaLie-

Nov 5, 2001
    Joe Johnston is only a few years younger than Lucas. I think Lucas and Kennedy want someone from the newer crop of directors.

17. Moorplant

Moorplant Jedi Master

Feb 26, 2004
    As the head or soon to be head of LFL I expect Kathleen Kennedy is as fully aware of what is going on more than anyone, maybe even more so than Lucas at this point since he's supposed to be retiring simply a creative consultant going forward.

I don't know if prospective directors would be given the full treatment to read, maybe, maybe not. They'd sign NDAs though if so. But it's hard to interview for a job if you have no idea what the plot is and if it plays to your strengths and interests so I guess they'd get an outline and were able to offer their opinions on it, if they were one of the final picks.

It's highly possible that LFL will go the Marvel route "we're in final creative control, but we hired you because your style fits the movie we invisage" e.g. hiring a Shakespearean actor/director to do Thor and Joe "The Rocketeer" Johnson to do a 1940s Cap movie.

18. Diggs

Diggs Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2012
    You could well be right. I think it's going to be Favreau.

19. Graphic

Graphic Jedi Master star 2

Nov 18, 2012
    Or its Michael Arndt himself...

20. -NaTaLie-

Nov 5, 2001
    A Shakespearean actor/director could fit Star Wars rather well :)

21. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    I wouldn't be hot on Favreau either, Iron Man worked because of RDJ and Cowboys vs Aliens though good fun was average.

Bird or Vaughn would have been my choices, they have a solid set of films and a consistent level of high quality. Since they are both out, Rian Johnson or Duncan Jones would be nect up on my list.

And if not them, Edgar Wright. Not to mention several other directors I would list before Favreau would be considered.

22. Chrono85

Chrono85 Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 31, 2012
    It's interesting that you bring up Arndt as direct, as I had never though of that :) Unfortunately though, it looks like his involvement in the film industry has never extended beyond screenwriting, and he has no directing credits. Colin Trevorrow has more or less confirmed that he will not be directing E7, and Vaughn looks more tied up with with Kickass 2 and the big Secret Service project, the latter of which is now going to be a regular film series. Favreau seems like a good choice with his experience directing Iron Man 1 and 2 :) and he has expressed interest in it too. Joe Johnston is another good pick.

23. Chaos123x

Nov 5, 2012
    Joe Johnston filled in for Speilberg on Jurassic Park, don't see why he can't fill for George. After all George sent him film school and mentored him. If you think about he has been groomed for this.

24. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    I disagree, October Sky (I'm a fan of the space program) is one of my favorite movies, next to Star Wars.

25. Boxster

Boxster Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 13, 2005
    I don't think they read and pass on the gig but this will be a tremendous burden to carry coz if they eff it up, their career will go down with it and a billion angry SW fans will spit on him wherever he goes.