main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Who do you want to direct Episode 7?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by PrincessKenobi , Oct 31, 2012.

1. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Danny Boyle would still be the best choice IMHO and he's in post production so he'd be available to start a new film.. but I have no idea if Kennedy would think of him.

2. seasider

seasider Jedi Grand Master star 1

Mar 12, 2002
    Whoever the director is, it's going to have to be someone with great vision but can shoot a movie at a breakneck pace especially if they're not gonna start filming until 2014 so my guess is they will go with someone who comes from a TV background.

3. Serpico Jones

Serpico Jones Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    They trust Marvel CEO Ike Perlmutter because he's notoriously cheap so they know he won't throw their money around.

4. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    Lucas isn't known for being a spendthrift either and Kennedy is one of the most successful producers in Hollywood.

DarthBrian likes this.
  5. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    Huh? That's not true at all. They take a hands-off approach as mentioned with these films. LucasFilm is in charge of directing, producing, and principle casting for Episode 7.

6. Serpico Jones

Nov 3, 2012
    Not like Perlmutter, he's notorious for hiring cheap actors and cheap directors. Jon Favreau and Joe Johnston were coming off of flops and Kenneth Branaugh hadn't had a hit movie in years. These are safe choices that the suits will love when presented to them. Robert Downey, Jr made less money than Terrence Howard on Iron Man. Star Wars is different, it's going to be the most anticipated movie of all time and Disney just failed with young directors in Andrew Stanton and Joseph Kosinski. John Carter was a flop and Tron Legacy did mediocre business and both movies needed extensive re-shoots, these are the things Disney will look to avoid.

7. -NaTaLie-

Nov 5, 2001
    They still can't beat GL's American Graffiti achievement ;)

8. Serpico Jones

Nov 3, 2012
    Not unless they hire someone that the Mouse doesn't like.

9. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    If by "all signs" you mean none then you are 100 % correct.

10. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    Captain America was really good. Jumanji??? I saw it and have no feelings for it.

11. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    John Carter and Tron Legacy were produced by Walt Disney Pictures, not by one of Disney's subsidiaries.

12. Serpico Jones

Nov 3, 2012
    Doesn't matter. Still owned by Disney.

13. Count Yubnub

Oct 1, 2012
    Yes, but the point is, Disney doesn't have a tendency to mess with the workings of its subsidiaries. Besides, I really can't imagine that was part of the stipulations of the takeover.

SithLordDarthRichie likes this.
  14. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    IMO, Cap was the weakest of the Avenger films. Not bad, but not great either, much like the PT.

15. Serpico Jones

Nov 3, 2012
    They don't have a tendency of messing with Marvel because Marvel makes cheap and safe studio friendly decisions.

16. -NaTaLie-

Nov 5, 2001
    Lucas has always saved on the actors, even in the PT. Only a few stars in supporting roles.

17. Serpico Jones

Nov 3, 2012
    The first movie had a modest budget but Empire went over budget and over schedule, if that happens on Disney's watch then there will be blood.

18. Guybrush

Guybrush Jedi Master star 3

Oct 18, 2001
    If m night is directing it will suck...have 0 confidence in him. Lucasfilm might as well be opening dunkin chains across the country because the next films would be complete doughnuts as in 0 out of 5 stars.

19. Count Yubnub

Oct 1, 2012
    Anyway, obviously, there's only one person who has the proper vision, imagination, and understanding of Lucas' universe to bring Episode 7 to the screen... and that person is Count Yubnub.

20. Moorplant

Moorplant Jedi Master

Feb 26, 2004
    Ed Wright is finishing his "Blood and Ice Cream Trilogy" and will then be doing Ant-Man for November 2014 I think.

I think Joe Johnson would be ok, nothing particularly special but a workhorse pair of hands for the style of the OT movies. I kind of hope they get someone more interesting, though I have no idea who.

21. -NaTaLie-

Nov 5, 2001
    Empire went over budget because Kurtz didn't do his job. Lucas had to get back and be more involved. Having ILM in house helped keeping the cost of the prequels down (it's still remains the same).

22. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    The fact that people are considering M. Night makes me want to gag a bit. He's given no sign at all of any interest in Episode 7. Besides, he doesn't fit the profile. He's hardly the 'new generation', though he's quite young. It also won't be him because M. Night only directs movies he writes. He has never directed a movie that he hasn't written the script for, and Disney knows he did a horrible job with The Last Airbender, and every single last movie he's directed with the exception of maybe Signs, since The Sixth Sense. He's out of the running. Frank Oz though is an interesting choice, Yoda himself would make Episode 7. But he's also not the 'new generation', though I hope if they bring back Yoda's force ghost, they bring back Frank Oz.

23. lord_eidolon

lord_eidolon Jedi Grand Master star 3

Feb 2, 2004
    So who is still in the running for director? Do we know?

24. -NaTaLie-

Nov 5, 2001
    Frank Oz is the same age as Lucas. Not happening (and he wouldn't want it anyway).

25. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    I don't know who I want to direct but my prediction is Mark Andrews.