main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Who do you want to direct Episode 7?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by PrincessKenobi , Oct 31, 2012.

1. fishtailsam

fishtailsam Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 30, 2003
    This.

2. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Hironobu Sakaguchi. Would be a hilarious response to the "it looks like a video game" fanboy meme.

3. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    I just saw on tv that Bird isn't going to direct.

Was Ghost Protocol any good?

4. LANDO_ROCKS

LANDO_ROCKS Force Ghost star 5

Nov 28, 2002
    Welcome to last week!

Serpico Jones likes this.
  5. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Oh. LOL

6. Chrono85

Chrono85 Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 31, 2012
    Ghost Protocol was pure awesome, which is mainly why he was my fav potential director :) I'm now rooting for Joe Johnston!

7. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    I think everybody needs to take a step back from the whole "next generation" quote concerning the director of Episode VII. The next generation quote was related to Star Wars moving forward, not to the Sequel Trilogy.

As posted on the front page of this site, the official word on a director for Episode VII (and the Sequel Trilogy in general) is:
    KK is looking at director's that she has worked with. On that list is Johnston and Oz, two people who already have an affinity for Star Wars and appreciates what it meant to them and their careers.

Gallandro likes this.
  8. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    Well, we're no closer to figuring this out than we started. Howerver, i will emphatically state that i do NOT want to see M. Night Shamylan, Ben Affleck, Quentin Tarrantino, or Danny Boyle within a 1000 miles of any new SW movies.

9. THX_1138biggs

THX_1138biggs Jedi Master star 1

Jul 9, 2007
    Why hasn't anyone discussed female directors?

Or TV show directors?

There are other directors out there besides the ones being recycled round and round on the net, and here, haha...

10. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    A few have been discussed. I dare you to wade through all the Director posts/threads. LOL

11. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Rian Johnson and Paul McGuigan, both of whom I've discussed, have experience in TV. They've also both directed feature films. They're people I'd at least consider. Other TV directors aren't being discussed because people in the industry know that TV directors have very little influence on the shows they shoot unless they are the producing director of the show. Mostly the showrunner does the pre and post production work that a film director would do. They also often basically just tell the director how to direct the episode during the tone meeting. And as great as TV is (I prefer it to film in general), a major feature film of this scale is just too much of a step up to expect.

As to women directors, there simply aren't that many, and there are none that I could think of being suited to these films. Kathryn Bigelow is the only one who has the kind of visual sense or experience needed for this film. But she just doesn't fit. She's wrong for the same reasons Chris Nolan is wrong. Not many other women have had the opportunity to direct films of that nature, therefore not many have the necessary experience.

Shyamalan and Tarrantino are obvious "hell nos", as well as not being realistic choices who would get the job anyway. But can I ask why Affleck or Boyle wouldn't be good choices? I have a list as long as my arm of reasons why Boyle would be perfect. And Affleck is a very good director whom I would actually feel very comfortable having at the helm. No one here's really talked about him much, but I think he should at least be considered.

12. Gallandro

Gallandro Force Ghost star 4

Jul 8, 1998
    I highly suspect Joe Johnston will be the choice. He has a successful track record with big budget films, his past history with both Lucas and Kennedy make him an ideal candidate, his history with Disney with both the Rocketeer and Honey I Shrunk the Kids are a plus, his intimate familiarity with the source material is adventageous, and frankly he's just a solid choice. His work on both the Rocketeer and Captain America show he has a clear understanding of how to handle the sort of pulp/serialized action adventure that is the staple of Star Wars. In addition his work on October Sky demonstrates a great touch with actors.

To me Johnston is the most logical choice.

Yancy

T-R- and Artoo-Dion like this.
  13. DarthLowBudget

DarthLowBudget Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 17, 2004

BLASPHEMER!!!!!!

14. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    What I especially like about it is how I can get a job in it :p

15. phatdude1138

phatdude1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2005
    I did! I said Dave Filoni! However I was blown out quickly by TCW haters. Everyone wants an academy award winning or a summer blockbuster director. I'm leaning to relatively new directors that have experience on "being on the inside" of Lucasfilm. To me Filoni is the obvious choice.

16. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    If Dave doesn't, at the very least, get a consulting producer credit, it will be scandalous. He's spent years learning from the Master.

17. DarthGaga

DarthGaga Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 21, 2004
    M. Night???

OMG!!!!! Luke was a Force ghost the whole time!!!!!!!!!

eht13 and Fleab88 like this.
  18. Neo_3

Neo_3 Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 13, 2012
    What about Fincher, has worked with Kennedy in the past and has 20,000 LuS (3 month wait).

19. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    Well, now that I think about it, Joe Johnston would probably be an excellent choice.
    Whoever directs EpVII, though, I hope that every episode gets its own director, as was the case with the second trilogy. I really like GL's notion that by ROTJ, the series was becoming like a TV show, with the producers having creative control and bringing in different directors for different episodes and I'd like KK to keep that development going, to give the Saga a smooth progression.
    Kind of like this:

I: Lucas, Lucas
    II: Lucas, Lucas
    III: Lucas, Lucas
    IV: Lucas, Lucas
    V: Lucas, Kershner
    VI: Lucas, Marquand
    VII: Kennedy, (Johnston)
    VIII: Kennedy, (Smith)
    IX: Kennedy, (Doe)

I don't know about you, but I like the feel of that.

"How feel you?"
    /LM

20. Serpico Jones

Serpico Jones Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Whoever it is it will be a safe choice. Lucas made good safe choices with his producer and writer so I expect the director to be one as well.

21. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    That's true - and that makes Johnston even more likely.

"Be safe"
    /LM

22. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Merlin_Ambrosius69 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 4, 2008
    Some of the duel, specifically the lava-floating sequence and the falling tower. It's in the Making of Revenge of the Sith book and on the DVD docs for ROTS.

Count Yubnub likes this.
  23. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Merlin_Ambrosius69 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 4, 2008
    I'd like Adamson in the chair. The first two Narnia films are superb and are very different tonally, similar to ANH and ESB, but he directed both of them. He has heart and talent and a virtuoso visual flair. With Bird out by his own admission, my vote goes to Adamson, and I hope Kathleen Kennedy is reading this!

24. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
  25. DarthLowBudget

DarthLowBudget Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 17, 2004
    More like you were quickly blown away be people skeptical that a Star Wars movie would be a good first-time live action feature for a man who has to date only directed tv animation. That's a big step in terms of difficulty and in terms of the scope of duties. Perhaps you should provide some arguments as to why someone untested in feature films should be handed the keys to the car?

And not everyone who disagrees with you is a "hater." Calling someone a "hater" is way more hateful.

solojones Reach for the stars! I'll use my disney connects to get us PA jobs on Episode 7 and we'll be hollywood bigshots in no time!