main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Who do you want to direct Episode 7?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by PrincessKenobi , Oct 31, 2012.

1. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    Thank you Myke, you said what I wanted to say but better.

2. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I also agree with you, wholeheartedly, about the visual side of Wolfman. As a classic Universal Monsters enthusiast, I adore the remake.

3. TK9277

TK9277 Jedi Youngling

Oct 31, 2012
    I can't see very many directors sitting in the director's chair for EP7.
    Though Brad Bird, IMO, has proven he can direct a great action movie with nostalgic style.
    Someone mentioned Nicolas Myer. There's a thought remembering that his space battles from Star Trek II and VI were awesome.

I hope whoever gets the job is up for the task of meeting the high standard. :)

4. Handmaiden Yané

Handmaiden Yané Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2002
    I vote Joss Whedon or Steven Spielberg.

5. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Merlin_Ambrosius69 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 4, 2008
    In terms of importance, I'll agree that the screenwriter is at the top, followed by director and then producer. The ideas, the pacing, the characterizations and the dialogue are the main keys to a great film, IMO and the writer -- initially, at least, controls all of that.

But this thread is about directors! So maybe you should start up a new thread on writers and producers? I'll happily contribute!

I disagree with Jackson, Whedon and Blomkamp, as in the first and second instances they've got their own thang goin' on, and in the third I absolutely loathed his only film to date. I realize I'm in something of a minority there, but good heavens what a repulsive film.

I agree that Spielberg, Scott and Cameron are absolutely wrong for this project and probably wouldn't do a SW film anyway. Well, maybe Spielberg would but let's hope he stays away from it. Star Wars is not Spielberg and Spielberg is not SW.

Agreed on all points except for the Whedon thing. He's currently preparing the SHIELD show and is attached as writer and director of Avengers 2.

6. jedimaster chris

jedimaster chris Jedi Master star 2

Nov 1, 1999
    I'm a big Spielberg guy so he'd be my choice.........BUT.......

One name I haven't seen listed on here is Gore Verbinski.

He's Directed the first three Pirates of the Caribbean movies for Disney (And used Lucasfilm companies for VFX and SFX) and is currently finishing The Lone Ranger for Disney as well. Also Rango, which he directed was done through ILM. There's your Disney/Lucasfilm Connection.

Gore Verbinski would be who I'd bet on in Vegas....

heels1785 and Garth Maul like this.
  7. Rodimus1980

Rodimus1980 Jedi Knight

Nov 1, 2009
    Peter Jackson, James Cameron, Ridley Scott or J.J. Abrams. Spielberg has lost his touch. That was evident with "Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull". You can't put all that blame on George Lucas. Until I see Spielberg regain his touch I say no to him. He would've been great 20yrs ago, but not now. James Cameron and Ridley Scott have both said they got into movies because of "Star Wars". So I see them being open to it because of the great impact it has on them. I mean, can you imagine a Old Republic Trilogy directed by Ridley Scott? EPIC.

DarthKreVass likes this.
  8. Rox

Nov 24, 2000
    Ugh I hope not the Pirates movies are so over the top and Lone Ranger looks like trash.

9. Legacy Jedi Endordude

Legacy Jedi Endordude Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 9, 2012
    George Lucas! Wait that ain't gonna happen........... I'm not really sure.

10. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    David Benioff. I'd let him take a crack at a screenplay.

11. Ballowall

Ballowall Jedi Youngling

Oct 31, 2012

Right, I was just pointing out that Whedon was allowed to pretty much do what he had to with The Avengers which while not directly produced by Disney they still own the property. Keeping a plot like that working with literally 7 main characters was actually a pretty impressive feat of screenwriting.

I just hope they allow whoever they get to do starwars 7 to be creative with it. Even though you could make the case that the originals (A new hope at least) are extremely simple and even a bit corny in their writing there is still a compelling, fun story in there that really works while creating this infinite and pretty awesome fantasy land.The Avengers works great and it's fun, but that's about it. I just hope they get someone who can bring back that intangible element the originals possessed that made them good. And then of course give he/she the freedom to do it. What I'm afraid is we'll get a movie that's just good enough to put kids in the seats and bring in the cash.

But still though it wont be hard to make something better than the prequels. So even if it is just a fun movie I shouldn't complain.

12. Diggs

Diggs Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2012
    I'll be amazed if Verbinksi isn't on a DIsney short list. I hope he doesn't get it though. Blomkamp would be a great choice. Affleck could be interesting. And Favreau may be being considered as well

13. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Pablo said he's been helping with research for Lucas since June and has prepared guides, primers etc for the next group of screenwriters whoever they may be.

14. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    I'd be fine with affleck just no acting :p

"I'll be the Han Solo" ;)

FinleySlade likes this.
  15. Lord Tuvitor

Lord Tuvitor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 27, 2003
    Pretty much this, but I'm expecting Joss to be busy with the Marvel franchise.

16. syferdiasisalie

syferdiasisalie Jedi Master star 3

Sep 26, 2004
    Personally, I think I'd prefer a mostly unknown or promising director. Duncan Jones, spawn of David Bowie himself, captured a very Star Wars-type feel in Moon, but maybe I just can't get the idea of an established name directing Star Wars into my head.

The mention of Guillermo Del Toro has me thinking though...

17. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Anyone but Whedon and Nolan. If it's one of them I will flush my Ewok collection down the toilet.

18. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    I honestly don't have a preference at the moment, as I imagine a few directors could do a good job with E7.

Garth Maul likes this.
  19. MDSJedi44

MDSJedi44 Jedi Padawan

Oct 31, 2012
    A giant "NO!" to Gore Verbinski? The fastest way for Disney to screw this up is to make it in the image of Pirates of the Caribbean! The cheesy dialogue and one-liners. Campy directing and music. The poor fight choreography. I could go on.

Hopefully Disney realizes the $4 billion need to "rediscover" Star Wars' roots by making it as close in tone to IV and V.

My personal favorite director is Michael Mann -- Heat, the Insider, Collateral, Last of the Mohicans -- the guy knows how to let the camera drive the story.

StampidHD280pro likes this.
  20. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
  21. TheMasterOfSoresu

TheMasterOfSoresu Jedi Master star 1

Jan 23, 2011
    Christopher Nolan? I pray not - especially not if he insists on involving his brother, Jonathan.

I would be somewhat pleased to hear that Brad Bird had been chosen despite the atrocious 'Ghost Protocol' - then again, any Mission Impossible film is doomed and therefore I exempt him from blame.

I pray an end to this emphasis on visuals; unless you want to see a repeat of the prequel trilogy. That means no Christopher Nolan and no James Cameron.

22. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    Brad Bird

pros: Mission Impossible! The Incredibles!
    cons: what's going on with his San Fran earthquake movie epic? Is that ever really going to happen? and when?

Neill Blomkamp:

pros: District 9 widely respected, knows visual effects.
    cons: Elysium unknown quantity

James Cameron:

pros: directed Avatar and Titanic
    cons: directed Avatar and Titanic

let's be honest here: Cameron would knock it out of the park. A $2 billion Star Wars movie.

Alfonso Cuaron

pros: directed Children of Men, upcoming Gravity
    cons: may be busy

John Favreau

pros: Iron Man, Elf
    cons: Iron Man 2, Cowboys & Aliens

David Fincher:

pros: Fight Club and Alien 3 are interesting movies
    cons: they're both very dark. So is Social Network. So is Girl w/t Dragon Tattoo

Peter Jackson:

pros: Tolkien
    cons: will be too busy wrapping up last Hobbit movie

Nicolas Refn:

pros: directed Drive, supposedly working on Logan's Run remake
    cons: don't know if he can do epic sci fi/fantasy

Steven Spielberg

pros: directed Raiders and ET
    cons: directed Indiana Jones and the something something crystal something

Guillermo del Toro

pros: Hellboy, almost Hobbit
    cons: Hellboy 2

Gore Verbinski

pros: directed the first POTC movie
    cons: directed the third POTC movie

Joss Whedon

pros: wrote/directed Firefly and Avengers
    cons: busy with Marvel

23. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Quentin Tarantino. "You just shot Luke in the face!" "Do you see a sign on my garage that says 'Dead Jedi Storage'?" "D'you know what they call a nerfburger with cheese on Tatooine?"

24. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    No to Peter Jackson. I can not emphasize enough my hopes for him to be undistracted post-Hobbit in order to get me my much anticipated Tintin sequel. I want Professor Calculus, dagnabbit!

25. Rox

Nov 24, 2000
    Did Tintin do well enough to warrant a sequel? It flopped at my theater. Two weeks and it was gone.