Speculation Who do you want to direct Episode 7?

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Episode VII and Beyond (Archive)' started by PrincessKenobi, Oct 31, 2012.

1. solojones Chosen One

star 9
    Except, again, Lucas specifically said he wanted to pass it to a new generation.
  2. A Chorus of Disapproval New Films Riot Deterrent

Manager
    star 7
    As charming as this tit-for-tat is... what, praytell, does it have to do with my Tintin discussion? :p
    Merlin_Ambrosius69 likes this.
  3. Merlin_Ambrosius69 Force Ghost

star 5
    Meh. A Spielberg film is always so... Spielbergian. The sequence of ROTS that Spielberg co-directed is so full of fanciful events and over-the-top images that IMO it detracts from the credibility of the story. The man is too prone to flights of whimsy in his fantasy films. And there's that thing about Lucas passing the reins to a "new generation of filmmakers".
  4. DarthLowBudget Force Ghost

star 5
    As opposed to George Lucas' fanciful events and over the top images?

Anyway, the big problem I'm seeing with a lot of these suggestions is that people like Whedon, Abrams and guys in that generaton are kind of "now" guys with some cultural currency, but none of them are particularly inspired visual directors. Say what you will about Lucas's ability with actors, but he was always good for a series of striking images, and a good knowledge of the visual grammar of film. So far, Whedon, Abrams, and co haven't demonstrated that yet.
  5. solojones Chosen One

star 9
    Yeah, that would be a drawback with Abrams IMHO. There's some good stuff in that sense in Star Trek but nothing like Lucas. I think it's one reason Brad Bird would be better. And a reason Danny Boyle would be the best.
  6. Coruscant Force Ghost

star 6
    I definitely agree about Whedon, but I thought Abrams' Star Trek was fantastic, visually. And I am no fan of Abrams.

edit: except for all that lens flare.... for the love of god, Abrams and his precious lens flare....
    Last edited by Coruscant, Oct 31, 2012
    MutantJedi likes this.
  7. Obi-Chron Force Ghost

star 4
    On that line of thinking . . . .

I'll nominated Kathryn Bigelow, who directed The Hurt Locker, taking home an Academy Award for Best Director in the process.
    LawJedi likes this.
  8. Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost

star 4
    Wouldn't mind Neil Marshall taking a crack at it.
    solojones and DarthLowBudget like this.
  9. slaveleia Jedi Padawan

100 % agreed.
  10. Diggs Force Ghost

star 4
    Marshall would do a great job.
    Last edited by FinleySlade, Oct 31, 2012
  11. DarthLowBudget Force Ghost

star 5
    Oh God yes, a thousand times yes.
  12. SithLordDarthRichie London CR

Chapter Rep
    star 8
    Whedon & Abrams showed that having a director on board who is a fan of the franchise/source material can work out well.

No doubt there are plenty of Star Wars fans out there who love the franchise very much. But they don't have to be a megastar of Hollywood nor renound for action and fantasy movies.
  13. Darth McClain Arena Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Johnson, Bird, or Abrams could be cool. I've been mulling over the possibility of a tv director, like Jack Bender, taking the helm.
    Last edited by Darth McClain, Oct 31, 2012
  14. DarthLowBudget Force Ghost

star 5
  15. heels1785 Jedi Draft and Streak for Colors Commissioner

Game Host
    star 6

Totally agree. I think he makes sense, has proven that he can make great films with massive amounts of CGI/human interaction, and is young enough to oversee one, maybe two trilogies, if successful. He'd be a great pick in my book.
  16. LawJedi Force Ghost

star 4
    I filled my shorts a moment ago when I realized that, next to Spielburg, the director Kathleen Kennedy has worked with the most... Shyamalan. [face_mischief]

Here's a few names to consider, based on their history with Lucasfilm.

James McTeigue. Second unit or AD for the Matrix trilogy and Attack of the Clones. As well as Director for V for Vendetta and The Raven. Maybe not the most auteur choice, but the dude has plenty of special FX experience. He seems like a Marquand-esque choice.

Anthony Hemingway. Director of Red Tails. TV directing credits for The Wire, Treme, and recently (Disney's) Once Upon A Time. Certainly he has a relationship with Lucasfilm. And it couldn't hurt to have a person of color direct a Star Wars movie.
  17. DarthLowBudget Force Ghost

star 5
  18. LawJedi Force Ghost

star 4
    I'm a superstitious type. Better to get it out there and jinx it, so that it NEVER, EVER HAPPENS.
  19. djjsin Jedi Padawan

Great to be back! used to come here many years and like everyone else i've returned!

My first choice in instantly spielberg. I've always wanted to see a spielberg star wars, spielberg has always wanted to do star wars. I think it would be amazing if he came out and just did part 7. I dont want him for the whole trilogy, just one part, just to experience WHAT a spielberg starwars would be. but if they pick spielberg, i would want it to be spielberg, cameron, jackson for the trilogy

but that wont happen. so realistically i say matthew vaugh or rupert wyatt. del toro could also be good.

i could be convienced for the warchoski brothers/sister/whatever it is. but i'd prefer they didnt get it.

bloomkamp i like, but i dont think he's ready for this. same with rein johnson.

and i gotta disagree with alot mentioned here like joe johnson and brad bird. they dont fit this bill. I need someone with real scifi talent, not cartoons and jurassic park 3.

nolan isnt right for this. He doesnt make family movies.
    Last edited by djjsin, Oct 31, 2012
  20. HandofSkywalker86 Force Ghost

star 4
    Peter Jackson... don't let him near the script, but I think he would do an excellent job behind the camera.
  21. soitscometothis Force Ghost

star 5
    What about Rian (Looper) Johnson?
  22. WIERD_GREEN_MAN Jedi Grand Master

star 4
  23. DanielRJones Jedi Padawan

I'd like to throw a new name into the mix: Joe Wright. He's made some fantastic historical movies, and has worked with Tom Stoppard (my first choice to write ep VII)
  24. David_Skywalker01 Force Ghost

star 3
    JJ Abrams, Chris Nolan, or Steven Speilburg
  25. DarthBlanco Force Ghost

star 4