main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Who do you want to direct Episode 7?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by PrincessKenobi , Oct 31, 2012.

1. Saurion-Fett

Saurion-Fett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 3, 2001
    Zack Synder...has great visuals...but is almost a bit to lucas like where visuals become more important than substance...but he could push the special effect boundaries

2. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    Michael Bay or Sly Stallon would be perfect for starwars!

3. DanielRJones

DanielRJones Jedi Padawan

Oct 31, 2012
    It seems to me that Zack Snyder is a great cinematographer but a poor director. All his movies look great visually, but the acting seems badly directed.

4. Saurion-Fett

Jul 3, 2001
    lol...michael bay....lol....wow......thats a name i wish i had never heard it makes my ears sad

5. StampidHD280pro

StampidHD280pro Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    Great cinematography and bad acting? Sounds like Star Wars to me!

Edit: Oh, the Sucker Punch dude? Ewwwwwwwwwww. Worst movie ever.

Saurion-Fett likes this.
  6. Saurion-Fett

Jul 3, 2001
    yeah I agree....i just want some one to push the creative team beyond what available...nothing was good enough for lucas (in effects terms not peoples acting ) I just hope they bring a WOW factor..

Dont get me wrong we DO need a chaaracter driven director he/she just needs to be able to imagine a world we cant.

7. Saurion-Fett

Jul 3, 2001
    yes I know suckpunch was crap......but i hope we learn from mistakes ( man of Steel )...I mean I really freaken hope he learnt.

8. DanielRJones

DanielRJones Jedi Padawan

Oct 31, 2012
    Danny Boyle has a track record of delivering in a massively pressurised environment (the Olympics opening ceremony), can direct actors with the best of them, and did sci fi very well with Sunshine. I reckon the two most likely directors are Brad Bird and Gore Verbinski. Didn't Darren Aronofsky nearly direct Episode III? He could be pretty great...

9. DarthLowBudget

DarthLowBudget Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 17, 2004
    Keep Snyder as far away from here as possible. I do think DanielRJones has a great idea with Stoppard on screenplay. Maybe get John Sayles in there too.

10. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Didn't Stoppard do an uncredited dialogue pass on the ROTS script for Lucas?

11. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    I would love for Disney to hire Michael Bay, he would bring rock & roll to these new rebooted films & bring the energy the kids love, crazy space battle & decked out starships. The new next generation star wars needs adrenaline & Micheal Bay is perfect for that.

12. DarthBlanco

DarthBlanco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 11, 2004
    Martin Scorsese.

13. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    NO.

14. Womprataouille1974

Womprataouille1974 Jedi Padawan

Oct 31, 2012
    Joe Johnston sounds like a great candidate. A likely candidate. And there was a little rumor a while back about him helming a "Boba Fett" movie so... he's in the loop... he's part of the Disney "family" (through Captain America). Actually, I'd dare put money down on this one.

15. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Joe Johnston? Blech.

16. Saurion-Fett

Jul 3, 2001
    one of things that people complain about is how out of sync the PT was with the OT....michael bays transformers movies dont make any sense...First one was quite cool...megatron came to earth after the cube.....second one not here for the cube actualy its your sun and sam dies and meets robot jesus...third movie well actualy its not the cube or the sun...we are all on the moon to meet up with a prime......yeah we dont need this....

but he does great chase scenes

i like the island

17. DarthBlanco

Feb 11, 2004
    Clint Eastwood.

Boba_Fett_2001 likes this.
  18. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Unless you want the film to be a preachy, boring, depressing film that's extremely full of itself, that's a bad idea.

StampidHD280pro likes this.
  19. Bender666

Bender666 Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 30, 2012
    Sam Raimi, Guillermo del Toro or Frank Darabont.

20. DarthBlanco

Feb 11, 2004
    Fair enough. How about Scorsese?

21. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    What part of 'a new generation of filmmakers' is so hard to understand? I'm not sure why people are even bothering to think about Lucas's contemporaries. Besides which, Scorsese is totally wrong anyway.

22. Tan-Wessel

Tan-Wessel Force Ghost star 4

May 31, 2001
    I'm sorry but Spielberg should be nowhere near this list. IMO, the man hasn't directed a decent film since 1993...some so-so one's scattered around here and there to his credit, but you can tell he hasn't been a driven filmmaker since...I'd even argue that that the decline had already happened before around the time he started really having fun as a major Hollywood player/producer...around the time Tiny Toon Adventures came out and he phoned in Hook. After the criticism following that came his era of attempting to make it up to the viewers with Jurassic Park and Schindler's List like "c'mon guys, see, I still got it!" But then his attention was drawn back to his new toys and he figured out how to make Saving Private Ryan seem like it was serious filmmaking, but as you can see with every subsequent movie after...there's been a steady decline in both taste-level and interest. There's a reason JJ emulates classic Spielberg and not the latter. YMMV.

That said, my vote's easily for Joss, due to his passion and love for the properties and ability to handle massive casts as well as mastering the tragedy narratives. JJ'd be great as well...he pretty much admitted that he was a SW guy and not a Trekkie and that the only way he could figure out how to make the ST reboot work was to make it more SW. Bird, would be my fourth pick. I say fourth first because I would actually really be curious and interested in seeing what Bryan Fuller would be capable of in cinema. I've believed for awhile that JJ, Whedon and Fuller are all cut from the same cloth although with very distinct voices, styles and drives...I was already considering those three the next-gen of Spielberg, Lucas, Lynch just as I see Singer as the natural heir to Donner regardless of opinion on Superman Returns. (I'm still trying to figure out who the Zemekis successor is. Fincher's always been the better and much improved version of what Cameron thinks he is.) I don't really know if Fuller can direct, though or if he's interested in anything more than ideas/producing and writing...but damn, that man has quite the imagination and can write. Someone throw him a bone already...he's the only one left of all his peers who hasn't "graduated" yet. After the PT, it would be absolutely refreshing to not just get passable dialogue, but the best of the current best...Fuller, Brian K. Vaughn, Orci and Kurtzman, Lindelof. I'm easily drifting into the writing tangents...but yeah that's pretty much my directorial preference order for this property.

No honorable mention going to Nolan at all, nor Mendez, or Robert Rodriguez as I feel that as great as these guys are at what they do, I don't see them having the vaguest bit of interest nor drive as far as SW is concerned. They are individual story/film guys first and detached from any personal investment in existing characters and properties. SW needs someone who bleeds SW.

artemis_fowl and Saurion-Fett like this.
  23. David_Skywalker01

David_Skywalker01 Jedi Master star 3

Nov 30, 2006
    Star Wars is and always shall be a morality tale first and a big dumb action movie second. I hope it stays that way.

24. DarthBlanco

Feb 11, 2004
    Quentin Tarantino?

25. citizenmilton

citizenmilton Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 30, 2012
    Alfonso Cuaron and Guillermo Del Toro.

Earlier in this thread, someone used the perfect word to describe what the SW films need as a core of the aesthetic: verisimilitude. I would add to that term the word organic. And that's what's most lacking in failed sci-fi / fantasy features.

Alfonso Cuaron and Guillermo Del Toro are brilliant filmmakers with experience in fantasy with heart, realism, and a true artist's vision. They put an indelible stamp on everything they make - and I'd hate to see the Star Wars franchise, just because it's nestled within the halls of Disney, turn this over to assembly-line mediocrities like Gore Verbinski or David Yates.

Given Disney's international plans for this franchise, they would help underscore the universality of the franchise, and help it re-discover itself.

David Fincher.

Sandwich him in the middle of Cuaron and Del Toro. Let him helm the darkest chapter in the new trilogy. He brings technical perfection and moviemaking that pushes the boundaries of the medium, a true heir for the technologist side of Lucas's filmmaking persona, something embedded in the heart of the franchise and expected by fans.