main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Who do you want to paint the Episode VII poster if Drew Struzan is not up to it?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Feelicks, Feb 2, 2013.

1. Feelicks

Feelicks Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 7, 2012
    We very well know that Drew Struzan, painter of the posters for the SEs of the original trilogy, along for the posters of all three prequels films, has been in retirement for some time now. If Drew doesn't come out of retirement to paint the E7 poster, who do you want to paint it?

2. gregvader123

gregvader123 Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 16, 2012
    Dave Dorman

3. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    Well knowing hollywood these days we wont get painted posters. It'll probably be some crappy 5-minute photoshop poster.

4. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    Any one of the painters who did the OT premier one-sheets

5. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Seconded.

6. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    I said on another thread, but I think that whoever does it and however it gets done, I think the order will come down that it must maintain the traditional look of the Star Wars posters. It will be a prerequisite for getting the job. It's part of the brand IMO.

7. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    I wouldn't mind seeing the Mondo Tees guys take a stab at it. It probably won't happen, but I"m sure eventually they'll do their own versions too

8. LunarMoth

LunarMoth Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2012
    Roger Kastel

9. LunarMoth

Nov 27, 2012
    I have it on pretty high authority that at least one artist has been contacted for Ep VII poster work. This artist is said to be well known, but not particularly for movie poster art. I don't usually post stuff like this, and there is no source for me to list here, but I'm passing along what I have been told.......

I'll update soon.

10. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    Prove it....or I'm gunna start assuming they are ressurecting Da vinci :p

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  11. LunarMoth

Nov 27, 2012
    Soon.......

Da Vinco is EU and does not apply here. [face_clown] Dead is dead.

12. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    Adam Shickling.
    [​IMG]

13. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    The pool of Star Wars artists out there certainly isn't lacking and knowing quite a few of them, I know they will all knock it out of the park. It would be hard to go through them all and say "that's the one." I know it would definitely be a dream come true for whoever is chosen (myself included).

Although, if I had to narrow it down at the moment, I'd have to go with Mark Raats or Jason Palmer. Their styles emulate Struzan's fairly closely.

Hitchhiking-Ghost likes this.
  14. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    Who says the eventual official poster artist (assuming there is one) has to emulate Struzan? They may be just as inclined to want someone who could emulate Tom Jung, or the Hildebrandt Brothers, or maybe even just be looking for someone who has an understanding of old Flash Gordon-type art. Who says they won't just tap Alex Ross? The man's already done some excellent poster-like SW art for the comics. The possibilities are endless, as are the options. I agree it'd be really cool to have Struzan do the full set of films, but assuming they don't choose to go that route, believe me: there's other ways to do the poster that'd totally impress us.

15. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Maybe I chose the wrong wording - I don't mean to directly copy off of what Struzan does. I'm a fan of the realistic portraits portrayed on the posters and I would prefer to have someone who can pull off likenesses fairly well. Other than that, I fully expect whoever they pick to stick to their own style and do their own thing. My apologies if it came across the wrong way.

16. Heero_Yuy

Heero_Yuy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    Alex Ross.

17. LunarMoth

Nov 27, 2012
    Small Update:

Apparently this artist has done some Star Wars work before, book or comic covers. I'm not sure which...... Anyway, this person is not known for movie posters from what I understand, and might have more of a history in the music biz.

I've also been told that there may be more than one person working on things, and it may not be the poster for Ep VII, but more of an audition for the gig. Personally I doubt that, but I'm just sharing......

18. LunarMoth

Nov 27, 2012
    This looks great, but two things:

1. If Drew is not doing it, I don't think they will try to mimic the style.

2. If we can give a little constructive criticism, the noses need some work.

19. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    I think Dave Dorman would be a awesome choice!

It is still better than photoshop! ;)

20. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    ^ You got that right!

And is it me, or does Leia look like Barbra Streisand in that poster? :p

21. jedinightwing

jedinightwing Jedi Master star 3

Aug 4, 2009
    Definitely agree on Dave Dorman.

22. LunarMoth

Nov 27, 2012
    Little known fact: Leia's middle name is Babs..........:D

23. Jinn-N-Tonic

Jinn-N-Tonic Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 17, 2006
    Why does anyone care about the poster art? I'm sorry but I don't get it. The poster art good or bad will not effect the quality of the movie.

24. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
  25. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    Yes