main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Who do you want to play Obi-Wan?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Jedi Master Kenobiwan, Nov 18, 2012.

1. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    I have absolutely no problems with Ewan McGregor playing Obi Wan, young or old. He did a tremendous job of his role in the prequels. But, i'm concerned about the tenuous writing to explain why his younger ghost appears instead of the Alec Guiness portrayed Obi Wan. I keep thinking back to Star Trek Voyager during an episode where Tuvok and Janeway go back to Captain Sulu's ship where the character was actually played by George Takei. Janeway asks why he looks older than in his photographs to which Tuvok explains that holographic imaging wasn't accurate in its earlier years.

It's the same with Peter Davison's cameo in the short Doctor who episode where he meets the tenth Doctor and they explain that his aged appearance is the result of time distortion.

2. gregvader123

gregvader123 Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 16, 2012
    The logic is that what would an old Jedi Master like Luke need to hear from a character that's been dead for 40 plus years that would be relevant to the plot of the ST? Yoda and Mace and Qui Gonn didn't have old masters giving them advice because they were the old masters giving advice. (and yes I'm aware that the force-ghost ability was not discovered until Jinn appeared to Yoda off-screen in ROTS...I'm just trying to make a point.)

Any scene that would involve Luke communing with Yoda or Anakin or Kenobi couldn't possibly be more than exposition and Lucas had too many of those in the PT and the PT was very badly written. Stop shoe horning.

3. agentkrycek

agentkrycek Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 4, 2012
    This

4. Anakin's Daddy

Anakin's Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Aug 13, 2002
    Why WOULDN'T it be Ewan McGregor? It would just be stupid to have anyone else.

5. Jedsithor

Jedsithor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 1, 2005
    Bringing McGregor back to play old Obi-Wan is the equivalent of bringing Jake Lloyd back to play grown up Anakin.

6. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    Seriously, hasn't anyone seen the digitally resurrected Sir Lawrence Olivier in "Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow"? The shots were cobbled together from archive footage plus a little bit of CGI, and looks quite good. I imagine it'd look even better with some Force ghost aura.

7. gregvader123

Nov 16, 2012
    Because its ****ing confusing to have Ewan in the PT Alec in the OT then Ewan again in the ST. Just leave him out of it. In fact I'll do something I'd never thought I'd do and endorse an event from EU as cannon: Obi Wan came to Luke in the beginning of Heir to the Empire and said "I'm tired of being Jacob Marley and warning you and ****. Your old enough to take care of yourself. I'm out. Deuces."

There. That's what happened. Canonize that **** Lucas, and keep Obi Wan "one with the force," and out of ST

8. DarthLowBudget

DarthLowBudget Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 17, 2004
    Sky Captain should never be the litmus for anything. The Olivier thing was a gimmick.

But there is this amazing thing I hear about called makeup. Its quite good, its cheap, and its been around for years. Sometimes it can even be used to make a young actor appear older.

9. Darth Georgia

Darth Georgia Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 5, 2012
    If any Force Ghost visits Luke I would think it would be his father not Obi Wan. I FULLY expect to see Hayden in ghost form in the ST. George knew what he was doing adding Hayden to ROTJ.

10. gregvader123

Nov 16, 2012
    Unfortunately I think your right.

11. gregvader123

Nov 16, 2012
    The only way I would be cool with ghost Ani is if they tell Hayden to **** off and then go and dig up Sebastian Shaw and give him some CGI crutches to reprise his role as Anakin Skywalker. That would kick-ass.

12. Doug625

Doug625 Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 9, 2012
    we kinda do know, that's why it's called called episode 7

13. Darth_Kiryan

Darth_Kiryan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2009
    Oliver Reed in Gladiator. He died during filming the movie, and the whole part of him where they are fighting the Praetorian guard he was CGI, especially the part where he and Maximus talk.

14. Darth_Kiryan

Mar 13, 2009
    They can 'age him up' ergo with makeup and also CGI

15. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    Good one. IIRC, they had to digitally shave him on some of the shots, to make his facial hair look consistent. Quite impressive.

16. Darth_Kiryan

Mar 13, 2009
    Yeah. Couldn't believe it when, IIRC on the Directors commentary, when they said he had died and they showed the whole scene of a CGI Oliver reed.

BLEW MY MIND!

Count Yubnub likes this.
  17. Boba Frett

Boba Frett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 21, 1999
    *IF* they decide Obi-Wan is to be represented (which I doubt after so long) then either Kenneth Branaugh or Anthony Hopkins.

18. Darth_Kiryan

Mar 13, 2009
    I'd go with Branaugh

19. Darth Stream

Darth Stream Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 3, 2012
    If there will be Obi-Wan (personally i doubt it) then give the role to Ewan McGregor

20. Saurion-Fett

Saurion-Fett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 3, 2001
    Sorry buddy they said original characters ....not cast....it may well turn out to ne the OT cast but its not confirmed

21. Saurion-Fett

Saurion-Fett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 3, 2001
    and I still say wesly snipes he was awesome in titanic

22. Darth_Kiryan

Mar 13, 2009
    ok.

so was Morgan Freeman.

Saurion-Fett likes this.
  23. Vid_The_Impaler

Vid_The_Impaler Jedi Youngling

Nov 4, 2012
    Ooh, what if something killed a bunch of froce ghosts, like in Homestuck?

24. LordMortis315

LordMortis315 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Do it right or don't do it at all.

25. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    Where was this "confirmed"? Its all still speculation the last I heard.