main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Who Doesn't Hate Jar Jar anymore?..

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by lightsaver, Jan 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    And he misreads what I write, makes personal attacks, changes my posts when quoting me, and uses ad hominem many times as the basis of his argument. Basically, the behaviour of a troll (which I've already reported).

He somehow thinks that Jar Jar is my favourite character, or that I ignore that some fans hate him just because he can't counter my arguments. Weak move, in my opinion.

2. JediG16

JediG16 Jedi Knight

Jul 24, 2010
    1) & (2) U aren't offending me but we're going over the same thing over and over. Those polls simple show that this character has a very large fan base that don't like and even hate him...nothing more. And I see, that if I were on the other side of this topic, I would be more than willing to dispel these polls because of how much it shows he is hated (Even though not everyone). I don't know how many times I post on here it is my own personal experiences this character is hated multiple times over than liked, and yet noobs like Alex just don't get it. Let's all do some simple math, If I go to a Celebration and encounter 10 Star Wars fans and if 9 out of the 10 do not like and or hate this character, in MY EXPERIENCE at this Celebration, what percent is left? No this is NOT generalization, this is a representation of the people I encountered through my experience with the understanding as posted time and time again...NOT ALL FANS. NOBODY HAS CREATED A CONCLUSIVE POLL WHERE THE ENTIRE FAN POPULOUS HAS TAKEN IT TO PROVE OR DISPROVE OTHERWISE. So as I stated, I never say all fans nor every fan falls into this...hell, I always put a caption on many posts stating (not all fans).

3)Mod Edit: Don't.

3. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Don't worry PiettsHat, it's just not worth the effort...

4. JediG16

JediG16 Jedi Knight

Jul 24, 2010
    Mod Edit:
    Don't. Bait.

This is your first and *last* warning.

5. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    I've never hated Jar-Jar but I disliked how he distracted from the bigger picture. He was also unnecessary beyond Naboo, he should have stayed there. Or, at the very least, should have been let out of the ship on Tatooine. Come one, Qui-Gon, you didn't want to take Padme along, but you didn't mind the buffoon? The water dweller on the desert planet?

6. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    I'm led to assume that since Jar Jar was under the care of Qui-Gon, he should be with him when going to Mos Espa since it was his burden. Besides, him being an alien would help them blend with the crowd.

7. FalorWindrider

FalorWindrider Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 7, 2010
    What. A clearly non-native alien who goes out of his way to draw attention to himself would help Qui-Gon blend in?! Also, how is the ship less safe than Mos Espa?

8. QsAssistant

QsAssistant Jedi Master star 3

Apr 13, 2011
    I don't hate him as much as I use to, but I'm still not a fan. I don't mind him in AOTC and he actually makes me laugh in the Clone Wars series, but I don't like him in TPM. He had too much screen time, most of his dialogue is annoying, and he shouldn't have been part of the final battle.

9. -NaTaLie-

Nov 5, 2001
    Well, I can come up with a few scenarios where having Jar Jar on the ship might not be safe. For example, he can stumble into some power couplings and damage the ship even more. Or, without Qui-Gon to oversee things, more hot-headed Obi-Wan or the racist Naboo people would get annoyed at Jar-Jar and kick him out to bake in the sun.

Seriously, though, I just have to quote Jedi_Ford_Prefect here, who expressed my thoughts more eloquently than I ever could:

http://www.theaspectratio.net/phantommenace.htm

10. Obi-WanLikeaBoss

Obi-WanLikeaBoss Jedi Youngling

Jun 21, 2011
    God, I hate Jar Jar Binks. He lets TPM down so so much I feel, irritating the audience, and making them focus on him and his crass "humour" instead of the subtle performances from the likes of Padme, Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon. He just lowers the tone, and it is such a shame he was put in.I do like the TPM, but I really really dislike him.

11. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Which Mos Espa is full of.

How can you judge his decision based on events that happened after he made it? Not very fair and valid.

It's not about safety. It's about Jar Jar being his burden, and being able to watch over him.

12. sith_rhino

sith_rhino Jedi Master star 2

Jul 9, 2007
    This sums up my feelings pretty well. He's grown on me a bit, as I guess Lucas is trying to show that anyone (and I do mean anyone) can make a difference, as Qui-Gon more or less says. Still, him stumbling his way to usefulness during the final battle is a bit too much though, come to think of it, so is Anakin stumbling his way onto that fighter and almost accidentally saving the day. The Force can't be that strong!

13. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    I agree that he shouldn't have been in the final battle. It's too much. Jar-Jar has his moments I guess. The Gungans in general I don't have a problem with. I love TPM anyway.

Off-topic, I like the mirror between the Gungan battle and the Ewok battle. In TPM a space based device is destroyed which saves the good-guys on the planet. In ROTJ a land based device is destroyed which saves the good-guys in space.
    I wish young Anakin had done it on purpose though...

14. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    The major flaw I find in TPM. And this movie is a favourite of mine.

15. HevyDevy

Apr 13, 2011
    I agree, it's probably one of the few moments I lose suspension of disbelief.
    Having said that, it's a nice contrast to ROTS. Anakin childishly defeating the Seperatists versus slaughtering their leaders in cold blood. If anything it shows how far he is from the innocent boy he was in TPM.

16. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Terry Brooks wrote the scene in the novel much better than how it plays in the film.

17. -NaTaLie-

Nov 5, 2001
    I'll actually take Gungans (minus Jar Jar's antics) over Ewoks.

Lucas probably thought it would be too unbelievable... but that's exactly how it turned out anyway.

18. JohnWesleyDowney

JohnWesleyDowney Jedi Master star 5

Jan 27, 2004

In TPM a space based device is destroyed which saves the good-guys on the planet. In ROTJ a land based device is destroyed which saves the good-guys in space.

GREAT observation. :D

19. sith_rhino

sith_rhino Jedi Master star 2

Jul 9, 2007
    Yeah, I agree with that. Especially since the Ewoks made the stormtroopers look just way too ridiculous. I only saw one Ewok casualty in ROTJ.

20. -NaTaLie-

Nov 5, 2001
    Stormptroopers' reputation as elite force was already heavily damaged after ANH, but losing to the teddy bears was the last straw :)

21. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Yes, I really like this.

22. Sword_Of_Goliath

Sword_Of_Goliath Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 22, 2010
    I never hated Jar Jar.
    Hate leads to suffering.

23. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Oh, but those were not common stormtroopers. That was an entire legion of the Empire best troops.

24. HevyDevy

Apr 13, 2011
    Thanx. It can also be noted that both the droid control ship and the death star 2 are destroyed from within. And the Gungans and the Rebels are both captured before this happens.

25. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011
    An interesting connection. As an addendum to that, I also like the fact that Anakin accidentally destroys the galaxy(-shaped vessel) in order to save Padme's homeworld. While in ROTS, he will essentially plunge the galaxy itself into darkness in a bid to save her life. One is an innocent act, almost unconscious, and yields positive results. The other...not so much.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.