PT Who Doesn't Hate Jar Jar anymore?..

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by lightsaver, Jan 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Bazinga'd
  1. Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling

star 6
    Jar-Jar was an innocent pawn manipulated by a master strategist.

I feel more like buying him a beer myself.
  2. BrotherTheFirst Jedi Knight

star 1
    I guess a lot of you who now like Jar-Jar don't realize you've been easily fooled with a Jedi mind trick.
  3. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
    Are you saying people who dislike Jar Jar are weak minded?

4. BrotherTheFirst Jedi Knight

star 1
    Yes.

note: joking

Although I can't help feeling like even some of the characters in the movie didn?t like him.
  5. openmind Jedi Master

star 4
    Well, Obi Wan wasn't very happy with "pathetic lifeforms". [face_devil]
  6. HanSolOKniser3 Force Ghost

star 4
    I dig Jar Jar. The only line of his that makes me cringe is his "Exsqueeze me" line. Brrr. I get chills just thinking about it.

Other than that I quite enjoy him in TPM. He cracks me up.

[face_peace] :D [face_monkey]
  7. FRANKTHERABBIT Jedi Master

star 4
    I like the gungans, and Jar-Jar as well - they all rock!!!!!

:) I like their style, and their flared feet/legs!!!!

:)
  8. FORCE_SKIN Force Ghost

star 4
    Who Doesn't Hate Jar Jar anymore?..

Not me, Still despise him more than ever.

9. Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling

star 6
    For years I have heard people bash Jar-Jar, and for the life of me I still don't understand where these people are coming from.

It's sort of like:

Guy A: Jar Jar sucks and should die.

Me: Why?

Guy B: Didn't you hear, he sucks a lot.

Me: Why?

Guy A: Because he's just so darned stupid!

Me: Why do you think he's stpuid?

Guy B: Because he's odd looking, and you can barely understand what he was saying.

Me: Chewie was odd looking, and you couldn't understand him at all.

Guy B: You must think Lucas is a God who can do no wrong.

Me: Not really, I just don't understand how he went wrong with Jar-Jar.

Rinse repeat, this has been going on since '99.
  10. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
    There are a lot of people out there who dislike Jar Jar and are able to articulate why a lot more than your little scenario. Not everyone who dislikes him was going with the crowd.

11. Tyranus_the_Hutt Jedi Master

star 4
    I don't love Jar-Jar Binks, but I don't hate him either. Yes, a little of him goes a long way but overall I didn't find him to be a distraction. I think that he was conceived as a (prequel) character who was employed to create a parallel to Chewbacca in the OT. Perhaps Chewbacca has ascended to the level of a deity for some people, because if you look at his character in a very critical manner, a little of his endless yelping likewise goes a very long way. They are both goofy characters. I prefer Chewie, and will concede that (to some extent) Lucas miscalculated his approach with Jar-Jar, but I sometimes have difficulty with all of the derisive comments emanating from the media and fans. It's easier to simply denounce something rather than applying any thought to the matter and discussing it in an intelligent and articulate way. Therefore, I must agree with Go-Mer-Tonic's previous remarks.
  12. Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling

star 6
    Sure they articulate, but then it just becomes well articulated versions of the kinds of things I brought up.

I don't know about whether any of them were just jumping on a bandwagon, it's just their reasons for disliking Jar-Jar never made any sense to me.

Some people would complain that Jar-Jar was the star of Episode I, when any rudimentary examination of the film will show that he is at best, an ancilary character.

Others would complain that Jar-Jar was always just a bumbling fool with no growth, when by the end of TPM, he cleary acheives an elevated status with his fellow Gungans who had previously banished him from their society outright.

Others would say that he was too clumsey and always falling in a slapstick way, this I understand, it is how his character is portrayed and this is a dead on observation, but I don't understand why that's a problem.

I just simply don't understand the logic behind hating Jar-Jar.
  13. Tyranus_the_Hutt Jedi Master

star 4
    Perhaps it was in the AOTC forum, but once someone began to decry the slapstick nature of Jar-Jar's antics at the end of "The Phantom Menace", suggesting that they undermined the Naboo ground battle. I suppose that I could have agreed to a certain extent, but instead I suggested that Jar-Jar's silly behavior was in fact Lucas paying homage to Buster Keaton in "Seven Chances" (1925). Still, it wasn't good enough evidence to redeem the "failings" of that scene, according to that person. Maybe that's true, but it does add a level of subtext to a film that is routinely referred to as "superficial eye-candy."
  14. Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep

star 6
    Let's not get into "fan analysis".
  15. BrotherTheFirst Jedi Knight

star 1
    I almost feel as though he was created to be disliked.

Foolish, awkward, irritating. Who would want to be submitted to a character like this?

I have come to accept Jar-Jar and his place in the SW universe but I still don?t like him.
  16. Lars_Muul Chosen One

star 6
    That's the spirit! Accept him, even if you don't like him :)
    I think Lucas once said that he knew that some things in TPM would create a backlash. I think he mentioned Anakin being a little boy as one of them. Still, he went through with them. Why? Because his story demanded it. He doesn't make these movies for the fans. He makes them to tell his story.

Star Wars is six, two and one
    /LM
  17. Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling

star 6
    I am not analyzing the Anti Jar-Jar fans, I am admitting I can't understand where they are coming from.
  18. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
    It's just a bad path to head down, so we head it off early with you, Go-Mer.

19. BrotherTheFirst Jedi Knight

star 1
    Would you honestly want to entertain a character like Jar-Jar?

edit: fair enough.
  20. Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling

star 6
    I have been taking extreme care not to anymore.

I have switched from trying to troubleshoot them to just admitting I don't understand them.
  21. BrotherTheFirst Jedi Knight

star 1
    Understand?

Is an irritating character not meant to irritate?

Sorry. Stopping now.
  22. DarthyMarkyMark Jedi Master

star 4
    I think Harry Knowles is a prime example of the effect that percieved popular opinion can have on the weak-minded - it makes them unable to make up their own minds about things:

Knowles, in his review of TPM back in 1999:

"When I read Moriarty?s review of THE PHANTOM MENACE, it scared me. You see, among all the people I knew that had read that script, only Moriarty and I agreed on Jar Jar. We liked him.

But when Moriarty ?had problems? with him.... Well... ya know, I got scared. I began hedging my bets on whether or not I?d love this movie.

Jar Jar was more evil and scary to me than Jaws, Linda Blair, that evil clown doll from Poltergeist, the carpet from THE SHINING and all of THE BLAIR WITCH PROJECT. Jar Jar began representing the Otis (from Superman) of this new Star Wars film.

But.... Guess what?

Mesa Luved Him!

When I first read Jar Jar?s scenes I was terrified because.... well whenever Jar Jar did something, I imagined the solitary focus being upon Jar Jar.

That is not the case. There are other people, creatures, things going on at the same time. Not only that... But, I saw something in Jar Jar today that... well, I didn?t expect to see.

The Gungans are a warrior based community, but ya know what? Jar Jar is a hippie. He doesn?t want to go to war. He doesn?t want to fight. He?s an awkward fella that probably wanted to be an artist or an actor, but was raised to believe he was a warrior. When he realized that... he started subconciously screwing up, trying to call attention to himself... or to be banned from his people so he could... Live the life of an independent soul.

But lo and behold, he ends up being drafted into service by his customs and traditions to be dragged all over the galaxy by a pair of Jedi. This isn?t what he wants to do in life, but it is the path he is set upon. What?s bizarre though is that I saw a parallel between Jar Jar and Much, The Miller?s Son from THE ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD. Herbert Mundin, like Jar Jar, was saved then owed a life debt to Robin Hood. Then he is extremely goofy, not exactly funny, but he?s a goof. At the big fight at the end of the film.... Well, he?s clumsy and a bit stupid, but... he helps save the day, also like Planchet from THE THREE MUSKETEERS. In a way, I was a bit reminded of Jackie Chan?s battlefield antics, but as if it were Buster Keaton trapped out there, who?s dumb luck just manages to save him and make him a hero. Kinda like Chaplin in THE GREAT DICTATOR.

I can?t believe I liked Jar Jar, don?t get me wrong, I don?t believe he?s the Best thing in the film.... far from it, but for some ghastly reason... I like the guy."

2002 ... Harry Knowles reviews AotC:

"Jar Jar Binks. Jar Jar has a 15 second StepInFetchIt shuffle speak routine he does as he goes to first let Obi Wan Kenobi and Anakin Skywalker into the Amidala?s quarters that is so offensively awful, that it will not only make you recoil in horror, but it will remind you of all of the worst aspects of his character from THE PHANTOM MENACE. I wanted to burn the film, destroy, maim and murder it at this stage. I was steeling myself from the impending incompetence, the horror of my childhood being molested. I was prepared to have a very bad time."

Hang on a moment - did I miss something here? I wonder what happened inbetween these reviews? Oh, I know what it was - it became "cool" to hate Jar Jar, so the ever consistent Harry went along with popular opinion. :) I'm not saying that all the Jar Jar-hatred was becuase of a percieved popular opinion of what you "should" like and not like - there are a lot of people who do hate Jar Jar for what he is - but it also seems that this "shared opinion" makes fickle people like Knowles give into what people tell him he should like.
  23. Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling

star 6
    Like I said, the Jar-Jar hate makes absolutely zero sense to me.
  24. BrotherTheFirst Jedi Knight

star 1
    It makes sense to me.

We should let this one go and do battle another day.

edit: I just feel that everything Jar-Jar embodied as a character stopped me from liking him.
  25. Lars_Muul Chosen One

star 6
    I don't think he started hating Jar Jar because it was cool. Rather, I believe he was influenced by other people's opinions so that after a while, he started to agree.
    I love that review of Jar Jar in TPM, though. That's the character of Jar Jar, right there!

Xeltek, 1981-2005 - rest in peace @};-
    /LM
Moderators: Bazinga'd
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.