main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Who Doesn't Hate Jar Jar anymore?..

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by lightsaver, Jan 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    I would've been really upset if the PT had been aimed at adults, since the OT is not. I can't stand blatant incontinuities.

Star Wars is wonderful
    /LM

2. CRUDE_MATTER

CRUDE_MATTER Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 29, 2005
    hmmmmm.

ok. when i think about JJ he did not by any means ruin the movie for me.

i accept his part as the fool and understand that his character can be appreciated and welcomed by others.

maybe my problem with JJ (and this has been covered further up in the thread) is that our focus is directed towards him throughout the movie at what seems to be the most inappropriate times.

the final battle for instance.

at the start general JJ seems to be in a better position with a little more pride, respect, and control. i actually felt better for JJ because it seemed like he was starting to find his place (still a fool but with purpose). then in a matter of two min. he's back to his dumb/clumsy antics while his fellow gungans die arounds him? are we supposed to laugh? what about his quick surrender when the battle droids gain the upper hand? a fool is one thing but a foolish coward is hard to defend.

going to stop here and wait for comments.

3. Lars_Muul

Oct 2, 2000
    Yes, we are supposed to laugh. At least I think so, because I do laugh. It's a lighthearted battle, it's not supposed to be as serious as the ones later on in the saga. I like it a lot.

Jar Jar is funny
    /LM

4. CRUDE_MATTER

CRUDE_MATTER Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 29, 2005
    so gungans dying isn't serious?

5. Lars_Muul

Oct 2, 2000
    Sure it is, but the battle isn't as heavy and brutal and grand as the other ones. That's how it should be in the opening chapter of a saga. It gives the story some contrast. Layers and all that.

Episode I is light
    How wonderful

/LM

6. openmind

openmind Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    so gungans dying isn't serious

Well if they are warriors, they probably know what they are getting into.

7. Loco_for_Lucas

Loco_for_Lucas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 15, 2002
    Gungans dying is always a laughing matter. :p

8. Shiro

Shiro Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 9, 2004
    I never hated him, people made too big of a deal out of him anyways.

9. Wesyeed

Wesyeed Jedi Youngling star 4

Feb 5, 2005
    Big deals for big movies...he was marketed as a character that'll appeal to children; adults had no reason to like him much I suppose. Imagine Barney in Star Wars ANH flying an X-wing.

10. The_Jedi_Will_Die

The_Jedi_Will_Die Jedi Youngling

Feb 8, 2005
    so gungans dying isn't serious?

You are right, Ginguns getting fried isn't serious.

11. OBIWAN-JR

OBIWAN-JR Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 25, 2002
    >>>>Big deals for big movies...he was marketed as a character that'll appeal to children; adults had no reason to like him much I suppose. Imagine Barney in Star Wars ANH flying an X-wing.

Yeah, or imagine Nien Numb flying the falcon in ROTJ.

Oh, wait.....

-JR :)

12. TrueJedi

TrueJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 22, 2000
    >>>Imagine Barney in Star Wars ANH flying an X-wing.<<<

LOL!! :D

13. General_Quenobi

General_Quenobi Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 11, 2004
    I honestly don't remember how I felt about Jar Jar when I first saw it. Actually, I can't remember the first time I saw THE PHANTOM MENACE! Probably the hundreds of viewings afterward! Kinda blends together and leaves just the story and none of the fandom chatter. Anyway, I do know that I was not one of those people that hated him upon first viewing (otherwise I would remember being pissed), but I don't know exactly where I stood.

I did go to not liking him so much in the fact that he is a funny character and better than Ewoks, but I found myself rewatching TPM and saying to myself "I think that line shoulda been left out, and this one . . ." However, I feel like I actually enjoy him in there now.

In the whole arc of the trilogy, and saga for that matter, it makes sense to have that type of character in the beginning (before the dark times, before the empire). As the series continues, there are less and less of them becuase of less and less reasons to be happy and jocular. Otherwise, Luke woulda been just as annoying for that reason. Too carefree in a terrible world, whereas Binks is anoyying but it is in a world that it's OK for him to be like that. It adds emotional weight (and acts like an anchor) for the rest of the tragicness to come in later episodes. However, in context of the arc, again Binks fits and if you lived there you would find yourself saying, "Wish Jar Jar was here and not this emporer guy!"

14. lightsaver

lightsaver Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 8, 2005
    for my response i will elect everything that General_Quenobi just said. :p

15. Billy_Dee_Binks

Billy_Dee_Binks Force Ghost star 4

Mar 29, 2002
    Gosh IT KILLS ME that if only GL had kept that side of Jar Jar exposed instead of the GOOFY dumb guy that makes the kids chuckle, things would have been A LOT different post TPM.

I like Jar Jar a lot. Kids LOVE him, that's why he was included. SW is mainly for young audience, you know but that doesn't mean adults can't enjoy it just as much. That's the reason lots of OT purists grew up and therefore can't relate to these kids friendly movies and bash SW because it isn't as violent and cynical as the LOTR Trilogy.

16. Chaotic_Serenity

Chaotic_Serenity Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 10, 2004
    I was hmmm...13/14 when I saw TPM, and I never minded Jar Jar. I wasn't passionate about him, but I liked him nonetheless. He strikes me as much a comic relief character, very reminiscent of the droids in ANH, but there is a very subtle, more serious side to him - the fact that the poor guy is always trying to do the right thing yet always messes up. Which comes to a head in AOTC with the election of Palpatine as a leader. I imagine if he appears in episode III, we'll see a very different Jar Jar than the cheerful figure of the first two movies.

17. Lars_Muul

Oct 2, 2000
    Exactly what I've been saying! I'm glad someone agrees with me :) Jar Jar will most likely be a disillusioned and sad character in ROTS.
    Together, he and Anakin represent the Republic in the PT. Jar Jar represents the innocent citizens who have been manipulated by Palpatine and now realise what a mistake they've all made, while Anakin represents the citizens who have willingly chosen the path of corruption. They have also been manipulated, of course, but they choose to exploit the situation, at the expense of others.

Jar Jar Binks is the good citizen
    /LM

18. ObiWanKaitobi4

ObiWanKaitobi4 Jedi Youngling

Jan 28, 2005
    Annoying at times..yes, but also quite humorous. My favorite Jar Jar line has to be, "exsqueeze me." The movie would be a bit empty without him.

19. jarjarbinks2005

jarjarbinks2005 Jedi Youngling

Feb 16, 2005
    i didn't like jar jar...... for the first two days of seeing him! now he's my favorite character!

20. I_am_Kooky

I_am_Kooky Sth Aust. Chapter Representative star 4

Jun 28, 2004
    I never really found anything wrong with Jar Jar.
    Poeples opines changed. 'He dose like Jar Jar, so i wont' and went on, people who did like Jar Jar said they dont so that they would fit in.
    Jar Jar is not my fave Charactor but he is not the worst.

21. Taivasvaeltaja

Taivasvaeltaja Jedi Master star 2

Dec 29, 2003
    I've never hated Jar Jar. When I first saw TPM as a 12-year-old, I found many moments genuinely fun, and I still do, though they're not the same moments at all. He's none of my favorite characters but I certainly have no problem with that silly Gungan.

22. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    I've never hated Jar Jar though I think he shouldn't have been in AOTC and shouldn't have been given the responsibility for starting Palpatine's rise from Chancellor to Emperor.

23. TrueJedi

Jun 22, 2000
    Jar Jar was my favorite character in the film, The Phantom Re-Edit. Anyone who has seen this version of TPM will find that Jar Jar is smart, brave, and the best character in the film. It's amazing what you can do with a film editor and how it can easily change a character from an annoying buffoon to a hero.

24. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
    I prefer my Jar-Jar clumsey and cowardly.

It fits better with the way his character is used in AOTC.

25. TrueJedi

Jun 22, 2000
    It's true that in order for his character to make sense in AOTC after his transformation in the Re-Edit, there would have to be an edit of AOTC as well. But the changes would only be minor since JJ is not in the film that much.

Go-Mer-Tonic, it's without a doubt that you are JJ's greatest defender. My compliments to you. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.